What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scientific America (and now New England Journal of Medicine) endorses a president for the first time in its 175 year history (1 Viewer)

I think the problem for most of us is that the left has been on hyper-tilt for the last 4 years with EVERYTHING Trump does - no matter how minor - being taken to 11.

They've cried wolf so many times that it's no longer effective.  Frankly, I"m tired of the drama and one more anti-trump stance from a magazine is just another of the same.

You make a fair point. I can see why one would be inclined to dismiss this as just another example of TDS given the sheer volume of things that get people up in arms.  And to be sure, Trump is often able to use all the noise to his benefit (heck, sometimes he says controversial stuff intentionally to get people all worked up over stupid stuff just to divert attention away from real issues).  

Scientific American is "the left"?

No, he’s saying that the left loses their minds over everything that Trump does and that he’s so tired of it that a magazine endorsement is not going to move the needle in terms of getting his attention. 
But that would only make sense if the magazine was left leaning. If its not, then why would the left's alleged overreactions affect how you interpret what the non-left says (or writes)?

But that would only make sense if the magazine was left leaning. If its not, then why would the left's alleged overreactions affect how you interpret what the non-left says (or writes)?
Because for him it’s just one more anti-Trump screed in a sea of histrionics. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Because for him it’s just one more anti-Trump screed in a sea of histrionics. 

I find this argument far from persuasive because the speakers of the  screed complained about are all from one  alleged histrionic sea. But this complaint is from an ocean half a globe away.

But I know its not your argument - you are just explaining someone else's. So I'll let it drop.

I find this argument far from persuasive because the speakers of the  screed complained about are all from one  alleged histrionic sea. But this complaint is from an ocean half a globe away.

But I know its not your argument - you are just explaining someone else's. So I'll let it drop.
Exactly.

Let's use as an example another group of "experts" in their field.

If a group of military generals in the US Armed Forces came out and said Biden would not be capable of being an effective commander in chief, you could absolutely bet that would be a rallying cry used against him by Trump supporters.

By the same token, if a group of military generals in the US Armed Forces came and out said Trump is no longer capable of being an effective commander in chief, you could also absolutely bet that it would be dismissed and ignored like any other anti-Trump sentiment.

BladeRunner said:
Meme?  It's absolutely true.  That's not even debatable at this point.   No sense in trying to pretend it's not there.  Just admit it and move on.  You'll be okay.
For it to be 90% liberal, there would need to be more than 300 liberal posters in the PSF.  I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

For it to be even 75% liberal, there would need to be approximately 110 liberal posters.  I sincerely doubt that's the case either.

I understand that the Trump defenders here desperately need to believe that they are vastly outnumbered, but it just isn't true.

science used to tell use asbestos was safe, fen fen was safe, Zantac and talc for baby's bottoms were safe and they overprescribed blood pressure medicine for only like 30 years so .... yeah, lets trust a science magazine

I'm still stuck on Pluto being a planet, I was told it was for a very long time !!

science used to tell use asbestos was safe, fen fen was safe, Zantac and talc for baby's bottoms were safe and they overprescribed blood pressure medicine for only like 30 years so .... yeah, lets trust a science magazine

I'm still stuck on Pluto being a planet, I was told it was for a very long time !!
Typically, "science" doesn't tell us these things are safe.  More frequently, science makes no determination at all until it determines whether things are safe or not.  Our government, however, tends to take the view of "legal and approved until proved unsafe" rather than "withhold approval until proved safe".  We can look at fracking as a perfect example of this in action.  "Science" has never said fracking is safe; instead, government said "fracking is approved, go ahead, since no one has definitely proved it is unsafe".

you should sue your high school science teacher.  he/she failed you.

No, he’s saying that the left loses their minds over everything that Trump does and that he’s so tired of it that a magazine endorsement is not going to move the needle in terms of getting his attention. 
Add to that it's a Science magazine and that seems to encompass the defense on this.

And now the premier medical journal in this country (and arguably the world) has issued its first ever editorial about an election in 208 years.

Science is speaking up and speaking out about the dangers of this administration.

This is unprecedented.

“Reasonable people will certainly disagree about the many political positions taken by candidates,” the journal’s editors wrote. “But truth is neither liberal nor conservative. When it comes to the response to the largest public health crisis of our time, our current political leaders have demonstrated that they are dangerously incompetent. We should not abet them and enable the deaths of thousands more Americans by allowing them to keep their jobs.”

This is the first time in the journal’s 208-year history that the editors have ever published an editorial about elections, Editor-in-Chief Dr. Eric Rubin told CNN. The editorial was collectively signed by every editor on staff, something that’s only happened on four other recent occasions, Rubin added.

Article about NEJM unprecedented stance

NY Times article

Throughout its 208-year history, The New England Journal of Medicine has remained staunchly nonpartisan. The world’s most prestigious medical journal has never supported or condemned a political candidate.

Until now.

In an editorial signed by 34 editors who are United States citizens (one editor is not) and published on Wednesday, the journal said the Trump administration had responded so poorly to the coronavirus pandemic that they “have taken a crisis and turned it into a tragedy.”

The journal did not explicitly endorse Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic nominee, but that was the only possible inference, other scientists noted.

The editor in chief, Dr. Eric Rubin, said the scathing editorial was one of only four in the journal’s history that were signed by all of the editors. The N.E.J.M.’s editors join those of another influential journal, Scientific American, who last month endorsed Mr. Biden, the former vice president.

The political leadership has failed Americans in many ways that contrast vividly with responses from leaders in other countries, the N.E.J.M. said.

Users who are viewing this thread