What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scott Fish Bowl XII Podathon for Charity this Sunday (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
I need to do some more research on the podathon itself but I am travelling to Seattle this Sunday for a live draft in the SFB12. It is my first ever entry into this tournament and am very excited. Among other industry sharps I will be drafting against the 2019 champ. I will be going from the 9 spot and he will be at the 10. Should be a lot of fun!

The draft starts at 3pm PT and our portion of the podathon begins at 2:30 where I believe we will each be introduced and interviewed. I'll attach the link when I figure it out!

I'd like to use this thread for SFB strategy, discussion, whatever. I am also mocking like crazy on sleeper until I leave on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
The contest is still only 95% full and the online drafts start next week. It is still possible to get in if you follow @ScottFish24 on twitter and go to scottfishbowl.com and sign up. If you tell me you did this I will drop your name and we can see what happens. There are also satellites available and there will likely be no-shows to the online drafts. They are slowdrafts. The rule is if no one hears from you in the first 4 hours of your pick you are kicked out. And those spots will become available.

It is all for charity and for FF fun so...check it out.

I signed up awhile ago however I have not been placed.  I’m guessing there are a lot of people that don’t get selected.  I’m holding out hope though as one of the closest locations that I said I was interested in (Wichita) is one of the few that isn’t full yet.  

I signed up awhile ago however I have not been placed.  I’m guessing there are a lot of people that don’t get selected.  I’m holding out hope though as one of the closest locations that I said I was interested in (Wichita) is one of the few that isn’t full yet.  
Send me a DM with your twitter handle and I'll tag you. It might work. Especially if there is a league still looking for spots.

That goes for anyone else too.

The direct proceeds go to Toys for Tots but the link is scottfishbowl.com/give if people would like to donate. It links to a leaguesafe.com site where you can "join" the league (which just means donating).  Lots of people are using this opportunity to raise money for their own charities as well. I'll announce my info on the pod tomorrow but I am "toying" with the notion of matching any donations people make thru this SFB/give link to my own charity in y'alls name, with receipts provided. 

Hey @Joe BryantI wanna run this thread by you before I get too far over my skis here (hopefully not too late). Is this all appropriate? And would you like to chime in on the SFB?

barackdhouse said:
Hey @Joe BryantI wanna run this thread by you before I get too far over my skis here (hopefully not too late). Is this all appropriate? And would you like to chime in on the SFB?

Thanks Buddy. This is fine to promote here. Scott's one of my close friends. I'm tied up this Sunday but glad to help. 

I was lucky to have participated in prior two SFBs, finished with top points in division to qualify for playoff bye each year.  I think the best approach Is best ball as you start a lot of players, can use a lot of positions, and the playoff format is not head to head.  

Early - the point structure is centered around QB - designed to award a great game, and punish a poor game.  If you get your QBs right, you will likely make the playoffs.  Get them wrong, and you are toast.  QB with low floors can really be painful.  Most players target QB early and often.  

Middle - I prefer stacking as the large number of starters dampens the volatility. It is doubling down on my QB selections.  I personally like a balanced approach to positions - not too critical given the flexibility of starting rosters.

Back - RBs win in fantasy.  I load up on RBs on the back end and started as many as I could.  

Waiver - I spend early. I preemptively pick up players both at the back of the draft and during the season.  I have had plenty of misses but you want to try to find players like Patterson, Penny, St. Brown last year.  

Helpful tools during the draft are the live ADP and draft dominator.  Good luck - it is a great community, ton of fun and towards a good cause (https://fantasycares.net).

Officially kicking off in just over 2 hours. Looks like the live/online slow drafts are all full. I'm registered, but did not receive an invite. Participated in a satellite last year. I imagine those invites will come after things are officially underway.

Sure would like the opportunity to replace a no-show in one of the live slow drafts, if possible.

I've looked around some, and can't find any procedures to follow to increase the likelihood of that happening.

@barackdhouse - interested in hearing about your live draft experience in Seattle.

Also, do you know what the pathway is to being selected as an alternate for a no-show? Thanks!

We each had our own assigned seat in the draft room and commish knew I was a Bears fan so brought in bobbleheads of Sweetness and Ditka and put them next to my name tag. He also had a red carpet and big photoshoot thing upfront before we walked into the building. Spared no expense.

Officially kicking off in just over 2 hours. Looks like the live/online slow drafts are all full. I'm registered, but did not receive an invite. Participated in a satellite last year. I imagine those invites will come after things are officially underway.

Sure would like the opportunity to replace a no-show in one of the live slow drafts, if possible.

I've looked around some, and can't find any procedures to follow to increase the likelihood of that happening.

@barackdhouse - interested in hearing about your live draft experience in Seattle.

Also, do you know what the pathway is to being selected as an alternate for a no-show? Thanks!

The experience was this. Our commish was voted commish of the year by Matthew Berry many years ago. Here is my draftboard - I have the 9 spot. We did 12 round in Seattle yesterday and we're OTC with the slowdraft online now. 

I have to run but Scott just posted this a lil while ago. Mention why you'd be interested and such. IDK. https://twitter.com/ScottFish24/status/1546485928197341184?s=20&t=mzbWZoUdef8kYYDP1LLJ2w
@nittanylionI meant to quote you so you'd see the response. I have to go but I would run if you wanna chance. 

Hoping someone here can answer.

This is the first year I've gotten in.  Do you stay in for a number of years?  Is it one and done?  Is it a situation where winners stay up the following year?  

Hoping someone here can answer.

This is the first year I've gotten in.  Do you stay in for a number of years?  Is it one and done?  Is it a situation where winners stay up the following year?  
It isn't one and done you can be in multiple years but IDK how Scott will do that next year. Basically you just have to sign up on the website and I think he gives preference to newbies but it grows each year and people that were good owners that were in it once before probably have a good chance of getting again. Just guessing.

Aww I missed this.

This was probably a lot of fun.

Please do this again next year.

Scott Fish Bowl and FF cares are almost noble in a kind hearted way. I love seeing tweets about their big hearts helping others 

The experience was this. Our commish was voted commish of the year by Matthew Berry many years ago. Here is my draftboard - I have the 9 spot. We did 12 round in Seattle yesterday and we're OTC with the slowdraft online now. 

I have to run but Scott just posted this a lil while ago. Mention why you'd be interested and such. IDK. https://twitter.com/ScottFish24/status/1546485928197341184?s=20&t=mzbWZoUdef8kYYDP1LLJ2w
How are you feeling about your team? What is your take on the K position? Can't you flex a couple of them? Also, are you a Pete Overzet fan with that team name?

How are you feeling about your team? What is your take on the K position? Can't you flex a couple of them? Also, are you a Pete Overzet fan with that team name?
I love my team so far. We will be done today. 

On the sleeper app we are required to start a kicker every week AND we cannot flex any. On the MFL app they don't have to start a kicker and they can start up to 4. I think it is a distinct disadvantage to the sleeper squads but I know Scott is aware and we are all hoping it doesn't cause too many headaches this year and then next year it will hopefully not be a problem.

I don't know who Pete Overzet is. I chose my team name based on my Twitter handle.

I love my team so far. We will be done today. 

On the sleeper app we are required to start a kicker every week AND we cannot flex any. On the MFL app they don't have to start a kicker and they can start up to 4. I think it is a distinct disadvantage to the sleeper squads but I know Scott is aware and we are all hoping it doesn't cause too many headaches this year and then next year it will hopefully not be a problem.

I don't know who Pete Overzet is. I chose my team name based on my Twitter handle.
Wow I did not realize the difference in the roster options between the platforms. That's pretty crazy though it is all for charity so I guess it isn't that big of a deal. 

Pete Overzet and Pat Kerrane are fantasy analysts. Pat works for NBC, Pete just has his own Youtube channel. They do a show called ShipChasing on Youtube. They are huge into Best Ball and have a lot of Underdog tie-ins and connections. They are a very specific brand of 30 year old IPA drinking data driven bros. Likely own a lot of crypto and NFTs. Not exactly my thing but they at least have a good time and they are intelligent. 

Wow I did not realize the difference in the roster options between the platforms. That's pretty crazy though it is all for charity so I guess it isn't that big of a deal. 

Pete Overzet and Pat Kerrane are fantasy analysts. Pat works for NBC, Pete just has his own Youtube channel. They do a show called ShipChasing on Youtube. They are huge into Best Ball and have a lot of Underdog tie-ins and connections. They are a very specific brand of 30 year old IPA drinking data driven bros. Likely own a lot of crypto and NFTs. Not exactly my thing but they at least have a good time and they are intelligent. 
Yeah I think I chose my Twitter handle right before I heard of that other group. 

For the most part, SFB Drafts are either finished, or wrapping up. Anyone who participated want to talk about how things shook out for them?

I was very fortunate to have been gifted with the opportunity to replace someone who was a no-show. I'm very grateful to anyone who might have had anything to do with that.

If others are on board with discussing Draft, Rosters etc., I'll participate as well.

From the 5 hole (# in front of player is overall pick no.)

5 Burrow, Joe CIN QB (Q)

20 Ekeler, Austin LAC RB

32 Adams, Davante LVR WR

41 Higgins, Tee CIN WR (Q)

56 Elliott, Ezekiel DAL RB

65  Robinson, Allen LAR WR

80 Goedert, Dallas PHI TE

89 Singletary, Devin BUF RB

104 Kirk, Christian JAC WR

113 Cook, James BUF RB (R)

128 Lazard, Allen GBP WR

137 Trubisky, Mitchell PIT QB

152 Henry, Hunter NEP TE (Q)

161 Pickett, Kenny PIT QB (R)

176 Njoku, David CLE TE

185 Anderson, Robbie CAR WR

200 Michel, Sony MIA RB

209 Ridder, Desmond ATL QB (R)

224 Succop, Ryan TBB PK

233 Perine, Samaje CIN RB

248 McKenzie, Isaiah BUF WR

257 Gronkowski, Rob FA TE

QB:   Burrow, Trubinski, Pickett, Ridler

RB:   Ekeler, Elliot, Singletary, Cook, Michel, Perine

WR:   Adams, Higgins, Allen,  Kirk, Lazard, Anderson, McKenzie

TE:  Goedert, Henry, Njoku,  Gronk

K:   Succop

I did about a dozen mocks and thing went pretty well to plan.    I had a pretty sharp group I was drafting with and no one really dropped far before they were gobbled up.    Bye weeks came out well.      Part of my plan was to not draft any key players (first dozen rounds) with bye after week 11.

I waited to draft my 2nd QB until late, and was able to get his "backup" as well.   Putting faith in a well run organization like the Steelers was my primary strategy.    We will see how it works!    :popcorn:

I do feel quite pleased with the results.    🏆         Here's hoping everyone stays healthy!   :banned:

Here's my final roster drafting from the 2nd spot.  Overall, happy with the build, though I missed on the RBs I preferred/targeted going in at my RB2/3 spots. This is the first time I've taken Cam Akers on any best ball or draft this season. With that said, I felt compelled to back that up with Darrell Henderson as my RB4.

Similarly, I have no exposure elsewhere to Daniel Jones or Kenny Golladay. However, in this format, the opportunity to build a cheap stack with Jones, Golladay and even Wan'Dale Robinson felt right. I didn't want to come away without a viable 3rd QB, and while Jones is a lot of things, he absolutely has upside and a low cost here. So does Golladay. Similarly, Robbie Anderson has been awful (with Darnold) but he's also had success before that (also with Darnold!). He's basically free here in the 17th round, so why not throw a dart. You won't win SFB without variance and taking some off-the-wall shots.

Other thoughts: 

• Early on I wanted players with earlier bye weeks, not those who will be idle during the SFB playoffs/cut down weeks
  • I also wanted players in prolific offenses or on teams I believe will improve measurably (Jax, Det, even NYG).
  • I played the waiting game on TE, so happy to get Kmet, Smith at those spot, If and then a pure dart throw on Bryant with my last pick.
  • Obvious risks with Akers and Jacobs, but if one or both deliver at or above ADP, I like my chances.. 
Should be fun. The goal is not to go 7-6 or 8-5, it's trying to thread the needle weeks 11 and on to win this thing. Good luck to all who are in SFB. 

image.png

Users who are viewing this thread