What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seasonal Diary (1 Viewer)

WhoDat

Footballguy
Ok, things have finally slowed down a little and I can get started. A few things prior to kickoff…

I am going to keep the identities of those I am playing with anonymous. No team or owner names will be revealed.

The specific league will go unnamed. If you are sharp and follow along, you can deduce where I am playing.

All of my waiver wire, free agent and trades will be posted after the fact. Drawing attention to that prior to making those types of moves will cause me to loose leverage and operate with a large competitive disadvantage. After the fact, I will divulge how I came to the decision(s) I did and why I pursued a player, pick or trade.

I will do what I can to provide my rankings; personal feelings about players and informational tools/tutorials used. I will try to keep you informed about the Who, What, When, Where and Why of it without creating another disadvantage for myself within the league.

Feedback is what this is all about but I would ask you keep it constructive and constant. The ultimate goal is to help many not just myself. Be detailed and direct but use discretion and courtesy. Remember that it is not what you say but how you say it.

At any point if you have something to say, then, by all means say it. Not speaking is a disservice. Keep in mind you can always share the knowledge and learn something new in the process.

Enjoy watching this unfold. I hope it is more monumental success versus train wreck but that remains to be seen. Lastly, thank you for your participation and interest.

Week 1-Post NFL Draft

Coming off a 3 day weekend spent with Jack Daniels and many friends, I have finally gotten over my hangover and had the time and reason to start looking at the team I inherited. The weeks prior was spent combing the old message board archives seeking out past rookie drafts; draft orders; free agent lists and free agent bidding sheets. Ultimately, I was hoping to find player value among the rookie picks and FA, as well as pick up any owner tendencies via past drafts or bidding. I was immediately able to determine a few things.

First, free agency and bidding is not universal. This league and league format has a long and storied history but it became evident that free agency dollars are dependant upon the league, first, and owners, second. Thus, I cut my search short and only focused on my specific league’s FA history after gathering a small sample from other leagues with the same format. Player versus dollar value is on a league by league and case by case basis.

Second, rookie drafts do have a certain consistency about them. It appears that top defensive talent will begin to go off the board at the very end of round 2 or top half of round 3 of rookie drafts. LB is normally the first defensive rookie selected followed by DB, which was determined to be S or top tier CB in most instances, DE and, finally, DT. The frequency of rookie picks slated for defensive players picks up considerably over rounds 4, 5 and 6. This is a quick glance on this particular item. When my rookie draft draws near, I will get a little deeper on this topic.

Third, there were definite owner tendencies I was able to pick up in the board archives and past drafts. Unfortunately, that is all I can say about that but, if you do not pay attention to this type of thing, then you should start. Every league…EVERY LEAGUE…has guys that are either predictable; risk adverse; calculated; gamblers; highly informed or out in the dark. Paying attention to this will greatly aid in your ability to win more often than not. For example, I was able to deduce my league mates are highly active, educated and experienced. Thus, I know I am operating at a HUGE loss for the next several months. Despite 17 years of FF experience, I have none with IDP. All of these guys have 2 plus years and all are polished owners.

Lastly, I finally started looking at my roster versus the rest of the league.

Offense

You always hear that nothing worthwhile is easy. Keeping that in mind I can say the experience of bringing this team back will be most gratifying. My first installment will focus on my offense and what I see as initial problems and potential areas of opportunity and or improvement. After a solid examination, I could see that a few picks, trades and hopes had busted or been pinned to players that were short lived or never where. We have all been there so I had empathy for the former owner as I tried to see how he came to some of his previous moves and decisions. Old rookie drafts, as well as the league’s previous roster moves and trades which were documented in both the league message board archives and homepage, provided some excellent insight into what and why he had done what he did.

QB

Pennington (Bollinger)

Bledsoe

Volek

Not bad but it could be worse. Pennington has Coles back; a potential upgrade at TE (Jolley) and new offensive coordinator. Bledsoe is serviceable in a pinch but will be playing on a run first, second and third type team. Volek is an interesting proposition, given McNair’s inability to play a full season, but might be better served on another team. This is an early area of both development and opportunity, considering I have players that I would consider trading and would like to improve upon. I determined a course of action for two separate roster moves and have begun negotiations. More on how this turns out later.

RB

M. Anderson

K. Barlow

A. Galloway

O. Gary

W. Green

G. Hearst

T. Henry

T. Hollings

J. Robertson

C. Sapp

It is a good thing I have the 1.02 rookie pick. There is a very real possibility that I enter the season with 1 or 0 RB starters. Trading away Barlow, Henry or Green at this time would be foolish. Research showed Barlow was once traded for rookie pick 1.01! A heavy investment was used to draft and obtain all three of these players. Opting out of any at this point would be a major loss. Their value in rookie picks might not even be worth pursuit but, given the desperate situation at the RB position, there might not be another course of action. For the time being this is a major area of improvement and the only opportunity in the pipeline resides in rookie pick 1.02. I am still trying to determine how to begin to fix this.

WR

Battle

Darling

Gaffney

R. Gardner

M. Harrison

F. Mitchell

E. Moulds

M. Muhammed

C. Rogers

C. Wilson

Well, I was excited to see Harrison on the team, being as he has never been on any team I have ever had. However, he immediately presented himself as my greatest asset. It could be argued that rookie pick 1.02 is but I cannot part with it. If I begin trade talks, then Harrison is who people are going to want. Moulds and Muhammed are decent. Gardner would come next followed by Gaffney. Wilson has new digs in Pittsburgh and could push for the #2 slot. Mitchell is an enigma. Darling was hurt all of last year but is now behind Mason, Clayton, Moore and Hymes. Rogers, well, we all know his story. His situation just got a little more complex with the arrival of the second Williams. This is another area of development but also an area of opportunity. At this point I cannot afford to have any type of allegiance to players currently on my roster. Harrison, Moulds and Muhammed could capture the interest of someone in a position to win now. These extra picks could net much needed help with younger WR prospects or upgrades at other positions. I will have to wait and see on this.

TE

Crumpler

Troupe

J. Stevens

This is a solid group. Crumpler is Ron Mexico’s favorite target with the exception of tainted tacos and Troupe showed well late last season. Not much to report here.

K

Akers

Tynes

Nothing worth noting.

There is plenty to be done on this side of the football. It is clear there are some players that might fetch decent value on the trade market and allow a sooner than later rebuidling effort. I currently have 8 rookie picks stretched over 6 rounds, which is one first; second; third; fifth and two in the fourth and sixth. Depending on what I attempt to address, offense versus defense, with additional rookie picks, the number of picks should change.

Over the next couple of days I will add the defensive side of the football and begin to notate great resources for IDP and basic defensive football knowledge. Thanks for checking in and see you in a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff. Recommend you trade Muhammed now while his value is still high following last year's extraordinary season. You might want to try to get something for Charles Rogers too while you can.You're going to have to trade like a demon to turn this team around - good luck!

:thumbup: I think this is gonna be a blast.Even though I have a pretty good idea of what they are, could you post your starting requirements for everyone?Also, how much "advice" do you want before-the-fact?

Recommend you trade Muhammed now while his value is still high following last year's extraordinary season. You might want to try to get something for Charles Rogers too while you can.
Muhammed would fetch a decent ROI but it would have been higher had he landed with any team besides the Bears. No offense to Bears fans but that is WR purgatory. However, I recognized he would probably be the first player to go. His name is already out there with a few other owners. Muhammed should have been traded, opinion, off this team immediately prior to last season's inseason trade deadline. That would have provided maximum value. Now, he will fetch a far lower price but he should garner some interest. Rogers was either the second or third overall pick of that particular rookie draft. My notes are not handy. Considering the situation of the team, Rogers is actually someone I am going to hold and hope for the best. He could be a winning lottery ticket. Trade value on him, as of today, would be horrific. Whereas it is a good time to move Muhammed, it is a bad time to move Rogers...see Lions taking Williams at 10 for the immediate reason. Rogers' value is even lower than before. This is a wait and see. Conversely, the first sign of positive news or highlight real material out of Lions camp, things could change.
Even though I have a pretty good idea of what they are, could you post your starting requirements for everyone?Also, how much "advice" do you want before-the-fact?
I will get into the starting line-up requirements when I post the defense in a day or so. Advice before the fact is tough to answer. The ultimate goal is too help many so providing commentary along the way will be needed. On the other hand, I feel people learn more from experience and their mistakes. Thus, a happy medium between those two would be best. Give clues but do not give the answers to the test until an action item is closed. For example, as I post that I am working through trades and why I am moving certain players, offer up suggestions based on what you see or feel but do not point out a potential critical mistake I could make. Let it happen. After the fact, open a dialogue reviewing what took place and at that time be very direct about what and why things went wrong. Hopefully, that makes sense.

trading current WRs for draft picks should serve you well since the current draft seems to be loaded with WR talent, imo.good luck !

Once again, Welcome to Z5. :excited:You can talk about me all you want, I won't mind.

From your comments, I can't tell for sure what your "macro" plan is.Are you expecting to compete for a superbowl today or two years from now?Assuming two years from now, the plan would be to trade older vets for younger potential. Unfortunately, the older vets don't seem to be bringing much in return in the way of younger potential or draft picks.

Once again, Welcome to Z5.
I guess that stellar offense gave me away. That did not take long.
From your comments, I can't tell for sure what your "macro" plan is.Are you expecting to compete for a superbowl today or two years from now?Assuming two years from now, the plan would be to trade older vets for younger potential. Unfortunately, the older vets don't seem to be bringing much in return in the way of younger potential or draft picks.
There is no way that team can win now. Winning defined as making the playoffs and chasing the title. All moves will have a 2-3 year feel to them. That decision is made by your last point. The veterans on the team will only carry so much value in a trade. More likely than not those will be picks that will need 2-3 seasons to develop, which is how I arrived at that time frame.I absolutely cannot stand losing but I have a tough hand to play. Getting any deeper with strategy prior to my making or seeking trades, etc. will potentially see me loose leverage in negotiations. I will come clean with that information after the fact. I do assure you, though, I have a plan mapped out for trades and FA at this time.

There is no way that team can win now. Winning defined as making the playoffs and chasing the title. All moves will have a 2-3 year feel to them. That decision is made by your last point. The veterans on the team will only carry so much value in a trade. More likely than not those will be picks that will need 2-3 seasons to develop, which is how I arrived at that time frame.
First off, I like the concept. But why is this in IDP Forum? If you firmly believe this is a 2-3 yr rebuilding deal, then IMO, dealing away Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds and Muhsin Muhammad are givens as their value will certainly not be higher next season or mid-way thru 05. I would target NEXT YEAR DRAFT PICKS for value plus a young potential player who needs some changes to give them opportunity (injury, trade, supplant?)... (C Simms, J Smoker at QB, C Cobbs, C Perry at RB and Dervey Henderson, Reggie Williams, Mike Jenkins and Darius Watts at WR). Work on talent, not situation. Talent will win have a clear chance to win out.

The act of rebuilding a franchise is to utilize the tools available today to get the value for tomorrow.... Sell off the top players to get "picks and potential". Otherwise, you will sit in mediocrity for years.....(yeah, voice of experience in that regard!)

First off, I like the concept. But why is this in IDP Forum?
This is my first experience in an IDP league. After speaking with Bob Magaw, he thought this would be the best place. The goal is to follow a newbie through a year of IDP play and offer novices another learning tool. It also might have decent comedic value to the vets. Since there are fewer people that play with IDP this is the target audience and most logical place to post the thread.

If you firmly believe this is a 2-3 yr rebuilding deal, then IMO, dealing away Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds and Muhsin Muhammad are givens as their value will certainly not be higher next season or mid-way thru 05. I would target NEXT YEAR DRAFT PICKS for value plus a young potential player who needs some changes to give them opportunity (injury, trade, supplant?)... (C Simms, J Smoker at QB, C Cobbs, C Perry at RB and Dervey Henderson, Reggie Williams, Mike Jenkins and Darius Watts at WR). Work on talent, not situation. Talent will win have a clear chance to win out.

The act of rebuilding a franchise is to utilize the tools available today to get the value for tomorrow.... Sell off the top players to get "picks and potential". Otherwise, you will sit in mediocrity for years.....(yeah, voice of experience in that regard!)
We are on the same page here. I have a few things in the works. I fully expect the team to look much different in the coming weeks. I really appreciate the help, interest, advice and encouragement. Stay tuned.

Talent will win have a clear chance to win out.
I would rephrase that as, "Talent should win out if given a chance."I agree on the targets - Chris Perry, Greg Jones, Larry Johnson, TJ Duckett, Devery Henderson, Antonio Bryant, Brant Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Chris Simms, Phillip Rivers... guys who had good talent grades when they came out but haven't gotten a chance to show their stuff yet (Duckett has, but not without Dunn splitting his time).

I don't recall you saying how many teams are in this league, but in general, I am surprised to hear that defensive players don't go in the rookie draft until late second, early third round. Even though this draft was much deeper in offensive players than defensive ones, I would look to steal a Thomas Davis in round two. I'd also be looking to trade as per birdie's post for draft picks. I think an awful lot of people make the mistake in IDP leagues of still wearing thier "old" FF hats, and tend to over value offense. Get 3 starting LB's who score 250 a year, some stud safeties, and you can get away with less depth and quality on the O side. The problem with that is in dynasty leagues, a real stud D player can fall off the planet one year to the next, like Chris Draft. That is less likely to happen to the offensive players. All the more reason to have depth on defense.

I agree on the targets - Chris Perry, Greg Jones, Larry Johnson, TJ Duckett, Devery Henderson, Antonio Bryant, Brant Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Chris Simms, Phillip Rivers
The only one of this bunch of duffers that you would want to trade for is Larry Johnson... really too many question marks about the others... IMHO.

I agree on the targets - Chris Perry, Greg Jones, Larry Johnson, TJ Duckett, Devery Henderson, Antonio Bryant, Brant Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Chris Simms, Phillip Rivers
The only one of this bunch of duffers that you would want to trade for is Larry Johnson... really too many question marks about the others... IMHO.
He's got an old, bad team. Draft picks and guys with questions seem like about the only chances to hit home runs. Draft picks would be best, but some of those guys are really cheap right now and worth what you have to pay for them.

He's got an old, bad team. Draft picks and guys with questions seem like about the only chances to hit home runs. Draft picks would be best, but some of those guys are really cheap right now and worth what you have to pay for them.
Yes. But I think it's a classic mistake in dynasty leagues to try to get rid of veteran players too soon and accept too little in return. I've had Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith and Isaac Bruce in a dynasty league for the last 5 years. I've been continually trying to get rid of them for better, younger guys, but no-one's been biting, so I've stuck with them. And actually they've given me one of the league's top WR corps, even though they're aged, past-it, etc.I suppose what I'm saying is, don't automatically get rid of a productive but elderly veteran for a talented young player who's in a poor situation. Frequently the youngster is never heard of again while the old vet soldiers on putting up solid numbers.

The problem is Larry Johnson is unlikely to be traded in such a league for what he is offering. I was trying to give realistic expectations on the caliber of player to target, not necessarily specific players. There are numerous "talented" young players who only need the oportunity to shine. At the start of last season, who would have thought Nick Goings would be of any fantasy value? Certainly not me! Perry was drafted ahead of some quality RB's because the staff felt he was their #1 target. Greg Jones has potential this yr with Fred out due to surgery. Each player listed (plus more) has the physical talent to play at this level, but given the opportunity and right sequence of events, that FF value won't be on your roster unless you make some sacrafices to obtain them.

Ok.. I agree to change the statement..... Talent creates the possibility to win out when opportunity arrives!

There are numerous "talented" young players who only need the oportunity to shine.
Right, but I think there are some more intriguing players in better situations than the ones you mentioned, who could still be got relatively cheaply... I'm thinking Najeh Davenport, Derrick Blaylock, Mewelde Moore, Musa Smith, Cedric Cobbs, Quentin Griffin, Dominic Rhodes, guys like that. Guys with upside in a situation where they have some long-term value.As my list above should make clear, I think it's only worth stockpiling RBs... it's really not worth it for QBs or WRs. Particularly so in a league like Zealots where you can start 3 RBs ... RBs are valuable anyway but they are even more so because of that... and of course RBs are a weakness on this team.

Well, this is so far, a dynasty thread, not an IDP thing at all. I suppose that O players have to be discussed, but to start with the O has really thrown this topic off topic. How can it be an IDP thread when people are dicussing the value of nothing but the offensive players as trade bait? In my earlier post, I mentioned that too many IDP owners have an unhealthy affinity towards O players, a carry over from non-IDP leagues, while a real stud lineup on the defensive side can bring a championship home, with less than stellar performers on the offense. So far, I'm dissappointed. The O player prejudice at work again. I think it should have started with the D players, and then added the O players for discussion of trade potential, etc. This is like a million other team threads I've seen, but with better advertising. :yucky:

Well, this is so far, a dynasty thread, not an IDP thing at all.
Easy there, tiger, it's just that he's started with the offensive players. He'll turn his attention next to IDPs and then we can discuss those.

I'm just pointing out that I think starting with the O players was a mistake. Doesnt mean much, just my opinion. I would have thought starting with the D, since it is an IDP thing would have been...."more prudent" in the werds of a famous politician! :hophead:

There are numerous "talented" young players who only need the oportunity to shine.
Right, but I think there are some more intriguing players in better situations than the ones you mentioned, who could still be got relatively cheaply... I'm thinking Najeh Davenport, Derrick Blaylock, Mewelde Moore, Musa Smith, Cedric Cobbs, Quentin Griffin, Dominic Rhodes, guys like that. Guys with upside in a situation where they have some long-term value.As my list above should make clear, I think it's only worth stockpiling RBs... it's really not worth it for QBs or WRs. Particularly so in a league like Zealots where you can start 3 RBs ... RBs are valuable anyway but they are even more so because of that... and of course RBs are a weakness on this team.
I agree with the idea and I like you list, and RB's should be targeted and highly sought, but not to ignore all others too. I was listing younger players that still have not showcased their talent. Blaylock, Moore & Davenport have had a "breakout game or 2" already and are likely to be tougher to acquire. I would prefer them too, but the limitations of the value of the players being offered is the problem.So, we agree that trading away the aged quality vet (mostly WR's) for some 2006 picks and young players would be the right way to start?

Well, this is so far, a dynasty thread, not an IDP thing at all. I suppose that O players have to be discussed, but to start with the O has really thrown this topic off topic. How can it be an IDP thread when people are dicussing the value of nothing but the offensive players as trade bait?
I'm just pointing out that I think starting with the O players was a mistake. Doesnt mean much, just my opinion. I would have thought starting with the D, since it is an IDP thing would have been...."more prudent" in the werds of a famous politician!
Patience. I am positive I ended my initial post that, when time permitted this week, I would document the starting line-up requirements; defensive players and reference materials. I had set a deadline to start the thread and wanted to observe it. Considering work, I only had enough time to begin with the easiest portion, which was offense. Seeing as I am the son of a life long football coach and he has about 1,000 books on the subject, I was going to make a trip to his house; pick up a few of the better books outlining defense and defensive strategies and offer them up as suggested reading to those people new to the hobby or IDP play. However, this thing called work has gotten in my way this week. If time had permitted, I would have started with both offense and defense in the first thread but it has not worked out that way.I thought I was going to be able to post the defense immediately after the offense. You are correct, this has caused a minor delay and things are temporarily bass ackwards, but nothing that cannot be corrected. Thus far, plenty of good discussion. Big thanks to those people already involved. It looks like I could have the defense posted tonight or Friday evening.

1.02 is a great spot for the draft. Just take whoever is left out of Brown and Williams.Don't be too quick to trade away productive vets. Having a young, talented squad wears off after week 1.

It seems there is a decent dialogue going and that is much appreciated. I have time to update the thread with the defense; offer up some suggested reading for those people new to IDP play or football in general and answer/reply to some of the posts.

League Size & Requirements

It was identified earlier this is a Zealots format. All 12 teams, which have 53 man rosters, will start 17 players on a weekly basis. It breaks down as follows:

QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, Flex

2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB Flex

K

The Flex position on offense can be a RB, WR or TE.

The Flex position on defense can be a DL, LB or DB.

There is no distinction between DT and DE.

There is no distinction between CB, SS or FS.

Defense

Whereas the offensive side of the football is in slight disarray, things are not as bad on the defensive side of things. Take that with a grain of salt but you have to find the silver lining in all situations. There are a few players that finished in the top 30 or top 10 scoring at their respective positions.

DL

S. Adams DT

J. Henderson DT

S. Rogers DT

J. Smith DE

A. Carter DE*

That is not too bad compared to the rest of the league. However, these positions do not generate the type of points associated with a solid LB but it could be worse. The gimpy A. Carter is rumored to be making a position to change to an OLB in San Francisco's new 3-4 defense. He will play the position that was occupied by F. Dean and C. Haley. Such a move could both help and hurt, assuming Carter can play more games than not. I would loose a viable option at DE but gain another LB. Everyone would love to have an end like Taylor or KGB but those guys are hard to come by and harder to obtain. DE is an area of development in the upcoming draft and FA period.

LB

S. Cowart

A. Davis

N.Harris

R. McKinnon

M. Peterson

T. Pierce

T. Spikes

There are a few guys in that group that don't mind putting on the hard hats each Sunday. There are also a few guys changing situations, schemes and coming back from injuries. Spikes and Peterson are solid. Between the rest and the addition of Carter to this group it should become one of the stronger areas of the team. Immediately I can see I will have some bye week issues but one step at a time. This could become an area of opportunity, if it was determined I could get a decent ROI on a player, but I have seen that trading defensive players is a fine art. Recovering value is a tough task. This will also be a group that gets addressed in my upcoming rookie draft.

DB

C. Scott

I. Bashir

D. Gibson

L. Milloy

I. Ohalete

T. Polamalu

D. Sharper

S. Williams

The good news is I have T. Polamalu. Beyond that the players are either older, gimpy or green. Rookies, new scenery and coaching principals could have a large impact on this group of players. This is a part of the team that could be pleasantly surprising or sink before it even got a chance to swim. FA, trade or the rookie draft should allow the group to be augmented by a serviceable veteran or younger player.

All in all the group is not that bad. Tracking down league scoring showed that I have a solid core but, if the injury bug bites, I could be in trouble. Couple that with the fact I will have bye week issues and it was easy for me to determine I have to diversify and deepen this part of the squad. The back end of the rookie draft sees me having several extra picks. Research also shows those picks are positioned where better defensive players are usually selected. Thus, taking this part of the team from good to great will, opinion, be easier than the offense. Adding younger players at LB and DE will be easier than me obtaining help at RB or WR.

Suggested Reading

Buried within the Footballguys archives are two solid articles on IDP play. The recent upgrade to the 2005 homepage, though, has put each out of reach. I have a message into Bob Magaw to help me gain access to each. They are a must read for an IDP novice. Of course, the pay content cannot be printed here but the authors have material available elsewhere. Once I hear back I will act accordingly.

A while back someone ran a poll in the Shark Pool that asked about someone's actual football experience. Experience defined as playing or coaching experience. The numbers clearly showed that most of the people here either never played or stopped playing in or around middle school. Keeping that in mind, I headed to my dad's library to grab a few books that might help the novice understand defensive football. These books have easily transferable knowledge that is applicable to IDP play. Knowing the difference between the middle(Mike), strong side(Sam) and weak side(Willy) linebackers, for example, is crucial. Understanding the defensive responsibilities between the strong and free safeties and what that means in terms of expected FF production is a must. These books will aid in that process. Two, which I was absolutely shocked to find copies of, are perfect for this exercise, while one is for the hardcore, seasoned fanatic.

1. Defensive Football Strategies by American Football Coaches Association. This book is written by coaches for coaches. If you like to read and have a solid...SOLID...grasp of defensive football, then this is well worthwhile. They also make books outlining offensive strategies, coaching, West Coast Offense, drills and conditioning. However, the books are written with an a priori audience in mind, which is to say they are penned for a target audience with a high understanding of the game. You veteran guys will love this book. I must stress that those folks that have less than a working knowledge of a defense would be better served buying one of the other books.

2. Football For Dummies by Howie Long and John Czarnecki. I was shocked and nearly offended the old man owned this book. After asking how it and the next book to be mentioned came into his position, he told me he suggests these books to parents of children that do not necessarily understand the game or need to know more about the game. The material is written with the assumption you know little, if anything, about the sport. What is specific to this exercise is that the book does spend several chapters on defense, defensive positions, schemes and strategies. The only difference is that this book is written with the understanding the reader knows next to nothing about the game. It provides enough insight into how defensive players operate in different schemes to provide a true novice to IDP play a leg up in league competition. I would strongly urge those people needing help buy this book.

3. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Football by Joe Theismann and Brian Tarcy. My dad but the fear of himself and God into me a long time ago but, when I saw this book authored by Theismann in his possession, I thought about showing him my backhand. As soon as I began to turn the pages, I could hear Theismann's voice and every now and again the rest of the Three Stooges from the Sunday Night Crew interjecting ridiculolous observations. Look at his feet!... I mentioned this to my dad and he said he always had the same thing happen to him. Thus, he has never read this book and it appears I will not either, as it is physically impossible, but it is along the same lines of what is referenced immediately above.

A quick Google and check of Barnes and Nobles home page shows these books are available for $23.95, $19.99 and $18.95, respectively.

Feedback

He's got an old, bad team
Tick, that is putting it nicely.
Yes. But I think it's a classic mistake in dynasty leagues to try to get rid of veteran players too soon and accept too little in return
Portis, I am picking up what you are putting down but my team is not nearly strong enough to win right now. There are a few teams that can roll out 3RB/2WR sets that are going to destroy me week in and out. Historically, I agree with what you have suggested and would support that argument. In this instance, though, my hand is being forced to a certain degree. Some of those players will have little or no value once this season begins and my window of opportunity to reclaim any value is closing quickly. A team within a player or two of the title would have more use of some of those guys, whereas, I could make more use of younger players, picks or a combination of the two.

You have made a very solid point, though, in regards to fatal errors committed by dynasty owners.

Don't be too quick to trade away productive vets. Having a young, talented squad wears off after week 1.
Pick, you are so right but I might have to take it in the shorts for a year or two before I smell some success. As I said, this is a 2-3 year process and I am prepared for it to get worse before it gets better.

Everyone has mentioned players worth a look and that is something I am considering. I have a few guys on the radar. Conversely, RB are very hard to come by in any league starting 3. If I am going to give that much to get, then I am most likely going to consider draft picks, first, and players, second.

Draft picks will give me a little more control and will come at a cheaper price. Looking at my buying power it is easy to see that I have to be aware of the fact I only have so much to spend. The expectations of what I can get and the price it comes at need to be realisitc. There are only going to be so many moves I can make.

I have a good idea of how I plan on picking up some picks and what rounds I would like to get them in, if possible. There are a few things in the works that should come through this weekend.

I will post an update on Sunday as the FA period is about to begin and some of the trades I am seeking might come through. Thanks for the ear and keep up the conversation.

2 defensive flex positions in Zealots, and both can't be from the same position. So the choices are (in order of likelihood):

2 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB

3 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB

3 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB

The articles you referenced can probably be found here.

EDIT: I see that at least one Eyes of the Guru from the spring can't be found right now - maybe that's what you were talking about.

I suggest this pay article.

Tick, thanks for patching up the starting line-up requirements. Major oversight on my part and appreciate the help. Also, those are the articles I was trying to reference. If you are new to IDP, these articles serve as an excellent starting place.

Week 2

FA bidding has begun. I have a very large amount to spend and there are a number of players on the market that could help my team. Unfortunately most are of the defensive nature so the offensive help is going to be hard to find. I did target a few players and have begun what looks to be an interesting poker game with my league league mates.

It appears the dollars spent last year ranged from $6800-$50. Meshawn Johnson topped off the list last year and many players tied for the low tier honor. I have just short of $14,000 to spend. I have established walk away points for those players on the open market and an overall limit for myself. I am going to need money for trade leverage and next year's FA period too.

I apologize this update is vague but saying too much could hinder my chances at winning live auctions. As this unfolds over the next few weeks, I will back track and update wins, losses and such.

Trades

I have been very active seeking picks and or players and picks for the little I have to offer on my team. To this point I have been able to close out two transactions that should help my team in the long run.

I swapped Pennington/Bollinger and Muhammed for Carson Palmer and overall rookie selection 17 (2.05). Why?

I do not like Pennington. Point blank. I do not like his upside. I do not like the offensive potential regardless of the new OC. I do not like what is going to happen when the RB duties are handed off in the immediate future to Blaylock and Co.

Conversely, I think Palmer has a tremendous ROI potential and has much more fire power on his side of the ball. I targetted Palmer because, opinion, he is about to be very good...very good.

Trading Pennington and Bollinger freed up a roster spot too. Augmenting the deal with Muhammed, whom I could not give away, netted another early pick. I now have picks at 1.02, 2.02 and 2.05. Early returns on rookie draft ADP see me being able to pick up some help on the offensive side of the ball.

I swapped Volek for overall rookie selection 39 (4.03). Why?

I might have left a little money on the table but I only had one buyer. Given the complete overhaul this team needs, carrying McNair's caddy served me no purpose. Volek played great last year. However, that looks to be a team about to enter a rebuilding phase and, if and win McNair retires, Volek will most likely be gone.

Perhaps he catches on with another team or maybe he does win the job in time. However, I have enough if, then types on the roster. That extra rookie pick should allow me to draft a contributing starter on defense. I now have picks 4.02, 4.03 and 4.05. Early returns on rookie draft ADP see me being able to pick up much needed defensive help. I also have the potential to package those picks and move up, assuming I can find a buyer.

I am still seeking other trades to obtain more picks and or players. Traditionally, I seek out deals with personal emails versus a message board blast or league wide email. I have found it helps in starting negotiations. However, this week has found me buried at work and with a horrific sinus infection, which has made flying a joy over the last few days. Thus, I broke down and shot out a message board trade offer in the interest of saving time. Hated to do it but had no choice.

Apologize for keeping it brief this week but duty calls. As usual, thanks for reading and the interest. I appreciate it, as do the other new IDP owners.

Don't think you got enough value here. There really are very slim pickings by the time you get to the 4th round.
I swapped Pennington/Bollinger and Muhammed for Carson Palmer and overall rookie selection 17 (2.05). Why?
I like Palmer too, but I don't think he's worth significantly more than Pennington.... which means you basically traded Muhammed for a mid 2nd-round rookie selection... and I think you could've got a little more there.Still, sometimes you have to give up a little more than you'd like to get the players you want.

Don't think you got enough value here. There really are very slim pickings by the time you get to the 4th round.
I know I might have been able to push for more with Volek. This trade was made specifically to address one of two positions on defense. The research I have done on this league's rookie drafts and ADP of positions indicates I should be able to draft a starting defensive player that will address a need. Thus, I took the offer but you are right. There was a little meat left on the bone. I am not going to be able to rebuild the offense and defense in one draft. I weighed the options and looked at where my picks were located against previous rookie drafts. True the 4th round is not stocked with talent but, given the emphasis that will placed upon offensive players by the other owners, I should be able to stack up with defensive players with those picks in the 4th. I felt this would be a safer alternative in the initial rebuilding.
I like Palmer too, but I don't think he's worth significantly more than Pennington.... which means you basically traded Muhammed for a mid 2nd-round rookie selection... and I think you could've got a little more there.
We all have those guys we like or think will be great. Palmer's one of those guys for me. As you said, Pennington for Palmer is currently straight up. Long-term, though, I feel I won but, of course, I am biased. I tried and tried with Muhammed and that was the most I could get for him. I had high hopes of nabbing a low first round pick but it just did not happen. My most logical business partners, Bears owners and teams playing for the title, passed. The Bears owner is rebuilding too so trading a high pick for Muhammed did not make sense. Too short-sighted. Top end teams all passed on trading a low end, first rounder for Muhammed. However...Without getting into specifics, though, that second round pick, which came via the Muhammed trade, could very well be spun into a low first rounder or player. It could be parlayed into something more substantial but I cannot tip my hand at this time. Thanks for the update and feedback. Please keep it coming.

I like the Palmer trade, but think you could have gotten more for Volek as well. It'll be interesting to see what you do with your picks.

Rules Clarification

This is specifically for those first time Zealots owners that might be following along. I had printed my line-up requirements a couple of days ago. Tick followed up with the new Zealots line-up requirements.

The link and homepage I had was showing outdated material. Those that might have questions on this or want to see the rules, as they are, can follow the information I was provided from Tick, thanks, via pm.

The goal is to prevent the same accident happening to someone else besides myself.

It was 2/2/2+1 until last year, when it was changed to 2/2/2 + 2 (but no more than 3 at any position).

Strangely, the Library forum doesn't seem to have made the move from EZboard to Invision board.

Here's the rulebook:

Link

http://p210.ezboard.com/fzealotsfieldfrm15...topicID=8.topic

Check the bold part in III.A.

FYI, the library and Front Office are now one (on the new board). The new rulebook is in that forum.

Given that you're not going to contend this year (or maybe next year), I would have kept Volek if a 4th rounder is the most he'll fetch. He has a good chance to appreciate in value down the road and seems like exactly the kind of guy you want to stash on your roster if you're facing a rebuilding project.

Week 3- FA Bidding and Trades

I had a nice entry for this week, which was just lost thanks to a bad wireless connection and cranky laptop.

Things are hectic this week, as I am buried with work; leaving the country and Internet access for several days and knee deep in the son's little league season. Football time has been hard to find over the last few days. Luckily, the wife has agreed to a quick MFL tutorial, which will show her the finer points of placing bids. I know what you are thinking and, yes, she is very understanding and I am extremely lucky.

Given that you're not going to contend this year (or maybe next year), I would have kept Volek if a 4th rounder is the most he'll fetch. He has a good chance to appreciate in value down the road and seems like exactly the kind of guy you want to stash on your roster if you're facing a rebuilding project.
IvanKaramazov, you have a valid observation but I view Volek as someone that made the absolute most of his situation, which was a bad team with no running game playing from behind more often than not. If and when McNair leaves, I just do not see Volek being the guy. I do agree, though, I sold him too cheap and should have either held him or held out for more. I got a little anxious to make a move. Sorry it is so short this week and completely void of anything substantial. Time is tight but I should have plenty come next week.

I disagree that you can't make big strides on both sides of the ball in one year - I did so last year, in a very deep roster league - 45 man rosters, start 8 offense, 11 IDP, 12 teams. No flex spots, though.The team in question was last in MFL's power rankings in 2002 & 2003 - I took over post-draft in 2002, and 2003's overall #1 by me was Charles Rogers. Going into 2004, I had gotten basically no help from any of 2003's draft picks - lots of shots at plugging RB holes with the likes of Pinner and friends, and Rogers' injury. My D was solidly average the first two years, but I had holes at RB/WR/TE.The 2004 draft & free agency moved the D up several notches, while addressing the RB hole:Draft:K. JonesWinslowUdezeM. BoulwareD. RobinsonS. King - cutG. Gardner - cutFA snags:O. Umeniyora - DLS. Foley - LBG. Wilson - DB (in season to replace S. Williams)I went from last in power rankings & standings to the #4 spot in power rankings, including #3 in all-play record & scoring, just missing the playoffs.Single-year turnarounds are possible. Rare, but possible. Don't give up hope for contention this year - but next year is more realisitc.

fwiw, i think the volek trade was fine - you MIGHT have gotten more value, but mcnair is probably back for more than this year, and there little to no trade interest among the NFL to acquire volek as a starter. Sure, you could have gotten more by finding that one owner who thinks this career backup is actually a viable starter, but 4.03 is solid value for a career backup - so you didnt take advantage of the skewed perception of volek's value... you still cashed in his market value while you could and turned him into something to immediately help your team. :thumbup: interested to see what players you take in the 4th...

Weeks 4-6

I just had a massive post wiped out by a computer error! Not cool.

I spent Week 4 on a Mexican fishing boat. After a long conversation with Mr. Jack Daniels, I decided it would be a good idea to knock back some unfiltered tap water from the boat's spout. 15 pounds and a week spent in and out of the bathroom later I am attempting to get caught up.

FA Period

The FA auction period was uneventful. I had targetted a few players but all of them eventually were resigned and matched by their respective teams. However, I did run up against the president of the Devery Henderson fan club. I figured Henderson would have gone for about $3,000. He went for $5.550. Let be noted our Zealots league is well established and the Z buck accounts are healthy.

I did sign Greg Lewis, P.K. Sam and Tommie Harris. Lewis is in a decent situation and will have an opportunity to play. Brown is a rookie. Mitchell is gone and TO could be close behind. P.K. Sam is someone you can roll the dice on with a 53 man roster. New England makes use of players and he could work his way into their WR rotiation. Tommie Harris was a total homer pick, as I played at OU. However, I think he is in a good situation with L. Smith. He'll be a productive DT.

Rookie Draft and Trades

During my near death experience provided by water south of the border, I decided to completely revamp the team. That topic has been bounced around in the thread and everyone has an idea of how to go about doing that. Historically, I am more inclinded to take the veteran players. I am normally stockpiling RB and nabbing WR that can be defined as projects. However, I took a long look at the offensive side of my team and decided it was time to start over.

I began shopping Harrison and a combination of players in an effort to get the 1.01, 1.03 or 1.04. Losing negotiations is not something I enjoy but it happened. Finally, I targetted the Manning owner at 1.05. We did a little business.

Seeing Harrison gone, I fully realized I was cleaning house. Thus, I decided to package my set of picks in the second round, 2.02/2.05, and Travis Henry to move up into the first round. I got something done.

I imagine there will be varying opinions on the results but keep this in mind. I decided to build for 2-3 years out. More importantly, I elected to take a BPA approach to the draft versus RB early and often.

I drafted Ronnie Brown at 1.02.

I was hoping for C. Williams but things could be worse. Brown's ability to block and catch placed him just a tad above Benson in my ratings. Living in Texas and having seen Benson play numerous times in high school and college, I can say the kid has talent. However, I was going to have a hard time selecting a Longhorn. Just kidding. Benson is a safer play than Brown, opinion, and his ceiling is lower. Brown provided more upside and looks like he will be on the field more often than Benson, given his ability to catch. The situation with R. Williams did not factor into my decision. I do not think Williams will be a Dolphin and, if he does make the team, he is gone after one season.

I give Harrison and 4.03

I get 1.05 and Reggie Williams

I took B. Edwards. Savage is shrewd and has a good history in the draft. Edwards is mature; has a solid foundation and great support group. Yes, the QB situation in Cleveland is bad. Yes, there are some decent WR on the roster. Yes, I am going to have to wait for him to develop, which is fine. He will be more Anthony Carter than Mercury Hayes.

The pick I got for Volek was essentially shipped out for Reggie Williams. Williams is the hook on this deal. If he can develop, then this trade begins to look very good. However, Williams could be the second coming of R.J. Soward instead of J. Smith. My thinking, though, was that Williams and his situation offered more potential than the same player I could have drafted at 4.03. He'll come around.

I give 2.02, 2.05, Travis Henry, A. Galloway and M. Anderson

I get 1.07, 1.12 and T. Minor

Once Harrison got sent packing I decided to get my two second picks into the first round. Henry offered that chance. Yes, Henry very well could be in a Titans, Jags or even Eagles uniform very soon. He could also end up staying in Buffalo or sitting out. However, there were players I wanted that Henry could grant me access to and I was willing to send him in the deal.

1.07 turned into Mike Williams. The guy is a physical specimen and it might take a while for him to knock off the rust. He is a beast and is going to create all kinds of problems for defenders.

1.12 is still a few picks away but there are 2 guys I covet and I am rolling the dice one falls.

I have no doubt some of this will come under fire but that is part of the fun. Sorry for the delay and I will have more come Monday. Thanks for your interests and have a safe weekend. Be sure to look for me at the Spurs game tonight.

I like it. Yes, you lost a bit on the Harrison deal, but I think you won pretty handily in the Henry deal.

Be sure to look for me at the Spurs game tonight.
where is your seat? :)sorry to hear about the near death experience.accidentally deleting monster posts is like a near death experience for me.i really like what you are doing, who dat...you are turning your team around more quickly than i thought you would be able to... it helps when you can make hard decisions like parting with harrison... i think it makes sense to get value for him while you can... who knows, maybe he plays at a high level for another 5 years... this way you don't have to find out the hard way he doesn't.you subscribe to a philosophy like gringo & i in a few dynasty teams we operate together... get young, blue chip players.now you have added ronnie brown (i would have taken him #1 myself, but like cadillac & benson a lot, too), braylon edwards (good looking athlete), mike williams (i agree... he will be a monster), reggie williams (he should be better this year & better still in '06... absurd that some called him bust already... he is a WR, and one who came out as jr at that) & whoever you get with 1.12... you coud get a viable RB or WR there if that is what you want.all in all, great work... i like the direction your team is headed in.* i really value youth... i recently traded plaxico for troy williamson straight up knowing i would take production hit this season, but i think williamson can be special in a few seasons, & i don't get that same vibe from plax.have a great holiday weekend. :)

I'm really surprised you managed to get so much for Harrison. IDPs don't score that highly in Zealots so his relative value, even as the top DB, isn't that great.Was JJ Arrington available at 1.5? If he was I would have taken him there. Not sure about Braylon Edwards. He's playing in a grind it out offense in bad weather with a QB who's never put up good fantasy numbers. Phil Savage wants the Browns to be the new Ravens, and the Ravens have been a fantasy graveyard for WRs. Maybe Shelton might have been a better choice there?

Ok, hang with me, as I just got home from the Spurs game. That is code for I had one too many before the end of the 3rd quarter. Man, that youngster from the Suns, Amare, can ball. If the Suns ever get a true center and move him to PF, watch out. However, Go Spurs Go!

Bob, I was down low in the corner between the baseline and the timeline. There was a near brush with Eva Longoria and, yes, it is better in person. I was :eek: for about 5 minutes. Wow!

I am digging the feedback so far and let me handle some questions.

I like it. Yes, you lost a bit on the Harrison deal, but I think you won pretty handily in the Henry deal.
Tick, Harrison was a tough sell...TOUGH SELL. Basically, I could not give the guy away. My feelings on trading is that you do better approaching specific owners with a purpose. The league wide email is great in a crunch and has a place but that one on one dialogue is so much better. I targeted my most logical buyers and went after them hard for about 2 weeks. Trust me on this. I sold my backside off to move Harrison for something more but that was the best deal I could get. My initial walk away point was getting a RB or draft pick that could return a decent RB prospect for Harrison. However, the teams with those picks did not need a player like Harrison, which is a vet that is about to begin a slow descent. I gave in and left proverbial money on the table.

Once the draft began and I saw what I might be able to do I decided to move him for the 1.05 and Reggie Williams. Hey, Williams was drafted Top 10 and it is WAY too early to write that kid off. However, Tick, you are right. I probably could have held Harrison; approached a contender just prior to the trade deadline and gotten a little more.

you are turning your team around more quickly than i thought you would be able to... it helps when you can make hard decisions like parting with harrison... i think it makes sense to get value for him while you can... who knows, maybe he plays at a high level for another 5 years... this way you don't have to find out the hard way he doesn't.

you subscribe to a philosophy like gringo & i in a few dynasty teams we operate together... get young, blue chip players.
Bob, I was a little shocked I could get so much done via trade too. The guys I am playing with are SHARP. Of course, I got tested pretty good for several weeks with some insane trade offers but, hey, it was expected. The league is full of guys that have the highest FF acumen. Trading has been very hard. What is funny is that I usually opt for older, proven players. My current situation, though, clearly began to show that I needed to wipe the board and start over. The core of players I have gotten is better than I had imagined I could get. I now have Palmer, Edwards, M. Williams, R. Williams and R. Brown. Plus, my guy fell to me at 1.12 but more on that later.

I'm really surprised you managed to get so much for Harrison. IDPs don't score that highly in Zealots so his relative value, even as the top DB, isn't that great.

Was JJ Arrington available at 1.5? If he was I would have taken him there. Not sure about Braylon Edwards. He's playing in a grind it out offense in bad weather with a QB who's never put up good fantasy numbers. Phil Savage wants the Browns to be the new Ravens, and the Ravens have been a fantasy graveyard for WRs. Maybe Shelton might have been a better choice there?
Portis, it was Marvin Harrison that I traded. That's why I got what I did for him. Sorry for the confusion on that one.I did everything possible to get into the 1.04 hole for Arrington. However, I could not get it done. It was not for lack of trying but that the owner was just not going to move the pick.

Your assessment of Edwards' situation is correct but he is a better football player and athlete than Shelton, opinion. The cream will rise to the top on this one. Edwards is a better WR prospect than Shelton is a RB prospect. I decided to take BPA versus team need, which is what works with high draft picks. I had picked up the 1.12 and had 2 players targetted at RB that I feel are better prospects than Shelton.

Pick 1.12 C. Fason

I got my guy at 1.12, I was hoping that he or Moats fell and both did, which was totally unexpected. Fason is the goods and I could not pass him up. Given that I had to haul tail to the Spurs game, I could not attempt to make a deal to get another pick to draft Moats or R. Brown, who was still on the board. I really like Brown. Anyway, I have a higher grading and opinion of Fason than I do Shelton. True, Shelton's immediate situation looks fairly bright but I really like the upside provided by Fason. That kid is going to be good.

Ok, it is very late and I will update on Monday. Thanks for the input.

Week 7

The obvious highlight of this week was seeing the Spurs put away the Suns. That was an excellent series and, if the Suns can sign a true center to clog the lane and play some defense, watch out next year.

Rookie Draft Continued

This week saw the draft finally become official, as the timer was activated. As it picked up and I saw myself minus any picks in the second round, as a result of the previous trade. However...

I had noticed the value in the draft at the top of round 3, where I did have a pick (3.02), was going to rest with the blue chip defensive prospects. This was determined by researching former Zealots drafts, as well as following the ADP information provided at the Zealots message board.

My feelings were that I would be better off selecting the top prospects on that side of the ball versus chasing lottery tickets at RB or WR. The goal was to minimze risk and net a higher ROI on each of the players selected with those picks. I could come away from the draft with a core group of young, highly regarded players on each side of the ball. The only problem is that I had a group of players targetted and only had a single pick.

Thus, I got active on the trading front once again and here is how things have turned out.

I give picks 4.02 and 4.05

I get picks 3.01 and 6.06

I give T. Spikes

I get picks 3.03 and 3.11

I now had picks 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 and 3.11, as well as a 3rd 6th round selection. Those picks netted Thomas Davis, D. Ware and B. Ruud. 3.11 is coming up shortly and there are two more players I covet on the board.

I gave a little more in the first trade to land the single defensive player I wanted in Thomas Davis. He is going to be good...very good. Thus, I did not mind pairing the two 4th rounders. Sometimes it is about value, data, hard facts and sometimes it is about a gut feeling. I just had/have a feeling Davis is going to be an absolute monster in that defense.

Parcells has an eye for talent on the defensive side of the ball. Ware will be put into a defensive scheme that might indicate his fantasy numbers will suffer, which is predicated by where and when he plays. Conversely, Parcells will make sure Ware is put into a position to flourish within that same scheme. Thus, I did not mind assuming the risk and trusting Parcells' coaching ability.

Ruud is highly intelligent and comes from a strong lineage of football players. True, the immediate future will most likely see him playing in situations or on the strong side but he will move to the middle soon enough. He should prove to be steady over a long period of time.

It was difficult to pass up C. Frye and A. Pearman. My team needs some depth at QB and Frye would have made sense. I was not interested, though, in any of the WR left. There are enough projects at that position on my current roster.

Assuming the Jags do not sign a FA, Pearman is going to get a crack at playing time. He has exceptional hands and open field ability. Stranger things have happened but he could end up in that starting gig. Of course, he could just as easily become nothing more than a return specialist. I felt the risk was more than I wanted to inherit, considering my effort.

It is a little easier to swing for the fences with a 3-0 count and being up 11-0. As compared to a few other teams, I would say I am down 0-2 and behind by 11. My ability to take chances in this particular draft were minimzed by this thought. The only risks I could or wanted to handle involved moving some of my veterans, like Harrison or Spikes, for more draft picks. Beyond that I have attempted to seek out the highest graded players possible.

As usual, thanks for following along and more next week. I would anticipate the rookie draft should be completed over the weekend.

I like that first trade a lot - getting that 3.01 pick was easily worth the two fourth rounders. The Spikes trade I'm less sure of, but it's really hard to get much of anything for an IDP, even a top one like Spikes. I do think this was the correct time to move him, as he was coming off a monster year.

Week 8

Rookie Draft Completion

At the last update I was waiting for pick 3.11 to come onto the clock. My draft up to that point consisted of Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards (via trade), Mike Williams (via trade), Fason (via trade), T. Davis (via trade), Ware and Ruud (via trade.) My guy fell to 3.11 and I was able to draft O. Thurman.

Yes, he has some off the field issues. Conversely, he is a real SOB on the field, which is ultimately most important. He'll do fine under Lewis' tutelage and coaching. My gamble paid off, as I had traded Spikes for picks 3.03 and 3.11 with the express purpose of drafting Ruud and Thurman. Perhaps the trade of Spikes for a pair of 3rd rounders was a rookie IDP player mistake but, considering my team; Spikes' age; and the possibility of landing two MLB prospects in excellent situations, I was willing to adopt the risk.

The initial research I had conducted in the Zealots message board archives for rookie drafts paid off handsomely. Also, I was given a copy of all previous rookie drafts specific to our league, which really helped. I was able to pick up on some owner tendencies with what had been provided. All data indicated that I stood an excellent chance of getting Davis, Ruud and Thurman when and where I did in the draft. As the league is fairly well established, IDP players go a little later than usual. Thus, I opted to move up and take the top defensive players versus drafting extremely high risk-reward RB talent or middle of the road WR prospects.

The rest of the draft went as follows:

5.02 B. Jones

6.01 C. Thorpe* (I traded J. Stevens to obtain this pick)

6.02 A. Fincher

6.05 R. Williams

6.06 L. Mitchell

The single player I did not get that I wanted was Chris Henry. I missed him by a single spot. The homer got the best of me as I took B. Jones and Mitchell. Roby was still on the board but I like Jones' chances especially given the early word on his performance at camp. The saying is old as dirt but you can't teach speed. As far as Mitchell, there is already a decent sword fight going on within the IDP threads regarding his abilities and chances to succeed. I have seem him play field level at practice and games. The kid is good. The kid can play. I'll just leave it at that and close by saying I could not pass him up at 6.06.

Thorpe was drafted on name alone. Enough said. I had to have the guy on my team. Plus, he played for some of the worse quarterbacks FSU has seen in a long time and had some health concerns. The name says otherwise but I think he has a decent shot at playing time in a 2 year period. The Chiefs have plenty of skilled position players on the wrong side of 28. Thorpe will get a crack and was worth the shot.

Fincher is another MLB candidate. It appears the Saints might bring him along slowly, as compared to the playing time Ruud and Thurman will see with their respective teams, but he is a solid player. I had him as one of the top ILB prospects and was glad to find him this late in the draft.

Williams is a physical specimen. He's fast and helps hedge my bet with the Titans WR position. Whereas I was not willing to gamble with picks on offensive players in the middle rounds of the draft, I was happy to take a few cracks at the jackpot with these later round picks. I felt I had grabbed some great talent in round 1 and 3 and could afford to take a chance or two.

All and all I was satisfied with the draft with the exception of missing out on Henry. I have a few friends that coach in New Orleans and did some digging on Henry. Sure, he's told more than one coach to @#$! off over his short career but he really is that talented on the field. Pac Man Jones, while being interviewed by NFL Total Access, said Henry was the best WR he faced during his days in college. Now, it could have been a case of Jones pimping his partner just prior to the draft, as the interview was conducted a few days before the big event, or it could have had a little truth to it. Anyway, Henry's getting some solid press and his price tag, which was initially a late 4th round selection, is going up and up. It might be a bad time to buy or it could be the last time he'll come so cheap.

Being as this is a collective learning event for all of us new IDP players, feel free to comment on the draft and add your opinion. All of us new to this format would appreciate it.

Just my opinion and I am fairly new to IDP, Dynasty (2nd year) watching what you have done. Great job in my opinion. I am amazed at the trades you were able to pull off and it sure sounds like you had done your research on tendencies of other owners. I know I have learned alot by your thought processes and how you went about getting what you wanted. I think you've done a great job at upgrading your team with young potentially stud players. Seeing as you decided pretty much from the beginning to rebuild, I think you've done a great job and it won't be long and you'll be contending. Keep up the great work and thanks for all the great information!

I was set to take Thurman @ 4.04, but figured you would take him @ 3.11, and of course you took Thomas Davis before I could @ 3.04.Overall I think you had a pretty good draft. Took alot of defensive talent so hopefully they work out for you next year, when you are looking to compete.

Also, I was given a copy of all previous rookie drafts specific to our league, which really helped.
Do you still have those. We lost the 2004 one in the board change. If you still have it, can you post it on the league board?

Nice job. I'd say you've made some significant strides on both offense and defense so far - you did have to give up Marvin, but otherwise you've likely replaced most of the production you gave up and got a lot younger.The really good news is that you got a lot of young help on the offensive side of the ball - if one or two of them get hurt or flop, it won't kill you. As someone who's drafted Charles Rogers & Kellen Winslow II it hurts when you lose a top draft pick and they produce nothing year after year.I'd think you'll find some defenders available as preseason continues and jobs are won by surprising candidates.

Week 9-10

FA Continued

Between the little man finishing baseball season and starting summer basketball, as well as keeping up with the Spurs, there has not been much time for football.

With the rookie draft being over FA opened back up. I had predetermined the amount of money I wanted to spend pre and post draft on players. My goal was to have a decent cash reserve heading into the season. Plenty can happen between now and the end of camp and I wanted to make sure I enough money left to stay in the market.

Here's what has happened over the last week.

I give Moulds and Barlow

I get Stallworth and M. Bennett

First, Barlow cost me a fortune last season. Second, I do hold grudges. Third, I wanted to hedge my bet with the Vikings running game. Thus, Barlow had to go.

I have Fason and, now, I have Bennett. A rookie and a veteran gimp versus an underachiver on the worst team in football. This should be interesting but I simply could not stand having Barlow around. I am fully aware of Tice's history with that running game and the presence of M. Moore. I know the score but my hatred for Barlow runs deep.

I am probably in the minority but I think Stallworth for Moulds is a nice exchange. Stallworth is not done and is, opinion, going to be a late bloomer. He'll out point and perform Moulds this season and he, Stallworth, still has plenty of gas in the tank. Yes, he is also an injury risk, like Bennett, but someone I felt would come around.

I give S. Cowart

I get S. Parker

Now, I have Thorpe and Parker. The Chiefs have many skill position players on the wrong side of 30. That offense is going to churn and change in the next 1-2 year period. Either Parker or Thorpe will be benefactors of that situation. It temporarily puts a strain on the roster, as I am using two slots for while waiting for one to develop, but it will prove worthwhile long-term.

I signed Adam Jones and C. Anderson.

I considered the Jones signing to be like having an additional draft pick. He'll step in as a return man and see plenty of footballs this coming season. He should score well. Anderson is a nice project at TE. I feel he will starting at TE for the Raiders by mid season.

Not much else to report this week.

Users who are viewing this thread