What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Shares" of players (3 Viewers)

Honestly, I think we started hearing “shares” type language right about the time some player went on a rant connecting fantasy football to slavery and condemning ESPN for “auctioning players” during a live draft.

So I suspect its sudden rise to prominence has less to do with people trying to sound cool, and more to do with professionals trying to avoid that sort of political controversy.
I missed this post. I don’t recall a player saying it but Shaun King did for sure.  He wrote a whole article about it. I don’t recommend reading it. He earned some well-deserved ridicule for it by players & fans alike. It was just a hasty leap to illogical conclusions by someone who clearly missed the concept of FFB & didn’t understand how many people of color also play. 

There may have been a player as well, but for certain Shaun King went there. 

Its ridiculous whoever said it. 

To this day, Maurice Jones Drew remains one of my favorite players because not only did he play FFB, he’d draft himself in the 1st round every year. :yes:  

I play in the FBG FFPC and I have several teams.  I have some guys on a lot of my teams and others on fewer teams, and in the case of some players - none of my teams.  This roughly correlates with how I think the guys will perform... its a spectrum from the players I do not want any part of (I own zero "shares" of Alex Collings, for example) to guys I really like (I own several "shares" of Derrick Henry).  Just an easy way of communicating in that sense.

For my "real" league, which is a large money corporate buy-in league, I would not use the term "shares," since I only have one team which I co manage with a colleague... 

I love both formats for different reasons.

Just my $0.02.

Ive started using the term, and others to describe a scenario or an action in FF. After you get to >3 teams I feel like concentrating on making the most correct decisions is key. As opposed to worrying about having to root against a guy you have started in one league, but are facing in another and that swaying you to not start him. You need a certain level of detachment in that spot I feel.

I have been using terms like invest, divest, shares, exposure etc more so in the last few seasons, not really for some political reason, but because it better fits my mindset for how I am approaching my many different leagues and teams. I dont feel like a robot, or an old lady mashing buttons on a slot machine. I enjoy the game, the strategy and the other stuff that comes along with playing in leagues with good friends who you want to rip their throat out weekly and keep them in their place of mediocrity. I also enjoy more competitive leagues with people i dont know, and ripping their throats out weekly to make sure they know how grossly mediocre they are.

I enjoy the game, the strategy and the other stuff that comes along with playing in leagues with good friends who you want to rip their throat out weekly and keep them in their place of mediocrity. I also enjoy more competitive leagues with people i dont know, and ripping their throats out weekly to make sure they know how grossly mediocre they are.
:lol:

To continue the market analogy, if you want to win at FFB, be a smart investor. if you want a friend, get a dog. 

'Own', 'manage', 'shares', 'auction' - why does anybody care what words a bunch of fantasy football nerds use?

And I'm not seeing the slave reference at all, until I get to tell LeSean McCoy to do my house work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will continue to say I "own" X player. So if that's a white player it's not a reference to racist slave ownership, but if said player is black I am automatically a racist? Nah, YOU are the one with the problem there, not me.

These same people complaining about this probably get all upset when you say you "own" your cat or dog instead of calling it something ridiculous like your child or a "fur baby". Guess what, it's a pet. You do own it. FYI, in the eyes of the law, pets are property. Rightfully so.

It's not nearly as bothersome as saying you "own" a player on one or more of your teams.

Feels yucky to say that IMO and I've started avoiding it, personally. I guess political correctness has gotten to me too.
I agree with this. We all understand that the context of "owning" a player means that you have him on your fantasy team, but can't change the fact that a bunch of largely middle-aged white guys bragging about the number of African American men that they own is pretty cringy. 

I saw a writer Tweet that he will start referring to his guys as "rostered" instead of "owned." As in, he's my "most rostered" player. He took a bunch of crap on his mentions but a lot of people thought it sounded better...myself included. 

I dislike the guy next to me at a traffic light blasting his base a lot more than I do what people call their fantasy football players.  He actually thinks I love his base as much as he does.

Let's start using "whiskers". (i.e. I have 3 whiskers of Peyton Barber).

The things that annoy people can be pretty strange I guess.

I dislike the guy next to me at a traffic light blasting his base a lot more than I do what people call their fantasy football players.  He actually thinks I love his base as much as he does.
especially when it's that garsh darn hippity hoppity music.

I'd like to buy more shares of this thread but I'm seeing an arbitrage play with another thread so I'm going to have to divest, modify my portfolio and move this thread down my draft board. Bull market. 

Thank you for sharing.  I've heard my fair share of pet peeves, but I share your feelings on this one.

I couldn't care less what kind of music it is, only that I really don't understand why he has to blast me out of my seat thinking I love his damn stereo as much as he does and that I should have to hear it. 
I'm just guessing here, but I don't think that's what he's thinking.

My ears don't hold regular ear buds for ####.  I prefer the earmuff style headphones because I love music and hate people.  Earbuds fall off and only piss me off.

I couldn't care less what kind of music it is, only that I really don't understand why he has to blast me out of my seat thinking I love his damn stereo as much as he does and that I should have to hear it. 
Whats worse is when they have their BASS all loud and it’s rattling the car. At least do it right! Tighten that stuff down. 

Also hate when people use words wrong. Guy with all his base sounds like Ricky Henderson maybe, or he has a lot of soup? Maybe he’s a politician and has base all over. 

We are at the thinnest part of the season -- after most have drafted, preseason games done and rosters being trimmed, and yet to start the regular season when all of our cnjecture starts to turn to stark reality on the field.

So not surprising in this arid tundra of time between the fake games and the real ones when we're down to arguing about semantics and linguistics.

Season can't start soon enough.

Whats worse is when they have their BASS all loud and it’s rattling the car. At least do it right! Tighten that stuff down. 

Also hate when people use words wrong. Guy with all his base sounds like Ricky Henderson maybe, or he has a lot of soup? Maybe he’s a politician and has base all over. 
Yeah, I know, I've already been corrected on the spelling of BASS, but thanks for pointing it out again.

Portfolio?   ??
Honestly, treating a large number of lineups as a portfolio and managing your exposure to players seems a lot less ridiculous than traditional magic football where you pretend to be managing a team.  I love both fwiw, I play in a traditional season-long league with friends for fun, but I also have successfully played fantasy as a profitable hobby.  There's room for both.  :shrug:  

I prefer “manager” to “owner”. I manage a fantasy football team. 

I don’t see anything wrong with “shares” - it’s less being snobby about terninolgy and more a way to indicate how invested you are in a particular player. 

If guy gets hurt you have on several teams, it’s easier to convey “damn I have a lot of shares of that player, I hope he’s ok” than saying, “damn, I’ve got him in my two redrafts, a dynasty & a best ball, I hope he’s ok”.

Because no one cares about the details of the leagues you have that player in.

And apparently there is a PC issue here, even though a great many people of color also play FFB. 

Shaun King, a particularly volatile social justice guy was tweeting about how he’s outraged, simply  OUTRAGED by the concept of an “auction draft” - filled with righteous indignation and disgust that people were bidding on players “like a slave auction”.  :rolleyes:

Never mind there are white players too of course, and that it’s just an alternate to snake drafting.

i attempted to politely explain how the auction draft concept wasn’t akin to a slave auction, that geeks of all colors played FFB, and this it’s simply an alternate means of drafting, and he insta-blocked me on Twitter. no response, no defense of his ludicrous position. 

that said, “owner” sounds dumb to me not for any racial implication, but because it’s not accurate. We accumulate statistics from players by making decisions about draft & subsequently lineup. 

That’s managing.  :popcorn:
Yeah, that’s the case I was thinking of.

I’m just old enough that every time I see the name “Shaun King” I think it’s the mediocre QB from Tampa Bay.

Another thing that is more irritating than using the word "shares" are these silly nicknames you guys make up for players.  How hard is it to actually type out their name?  Most of these nicknames seem to end in "y", but not all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The most annoying thing is people referring to a comparable but cheaper player as an "arbitrage play". 
Agreed

Arbitrage occurs when a security is purchased in one market and simultaneously sold in another market at a higher price, thus considered to be risk-free profit for the trader. Arbitrage provides a mechanism to ensure prices do not deviate substantially from fair value for long periods of time. With advancements in technology, it has become extremely difficult to profit from pricing errors in the market. Many traders have computerized trading systems set to monitor fluctuations in similar financial instruments. Any inefficient pricing setups are usually acted upon quickly, and the opportunity is often eliminated in a matter of seconds. Arbitrage is a necessary force in the financial marketplace.
LINK
Don't get me started on exponentially.

Honestly, treating a large number of lineups as a portfolio and managing your exposure to players seems a lot less ridiculous than traditional magic football where you pretend to be managing a team.  I love both fwiw, I play in a traditional season-long league with friends for fun, but I also have successfully played fantasy as a profitable hobby.  There's room for both.  :shrug:  
If you need a portfolio, then you take the game way too seriously.   It's meant to be fun.

Another thing that is more irritating than using the word "shares" are these silly nicknames you guys make up for players.  How hard is it to actually type out their name?  Most of these nicknames seem to end in "y", but not all. 
Completely agree JoU. 

:pickle:

Winning money is fun.  I wouldn't do it if it wasn't.  :shrug:  
I would gladly win money whether it was fun or not, but I've never used the word shares to refer to the players I have on my fantasy teams.  However, I used owners all the time.  I try not to ever use nicknames, except for acronyms. 

It's the best word to use to indicate you have that player on a lot of your fantasy teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread