What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

She faked being a billionaire so you could see NYC’s best views (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Not what I was expecting.  

She faked being a billionaire so you could see NYC’s best views

All of us want to see Manhattan from above, but very few can do it from their own living room. While posing as an apartment-hunting Hungarian billionaire, Andi Schmied accessed and documented Manhattan’s most exclusive high-rise properties: for the duration of the project, she inhabited a fictional persona, Gabriella, a mother of one whose husband is an antique dealer. Complemented by fragments of the real estate conversations, the talk guides the audience through this elite world hidden up in the clouds, while highlighting its problematic nature. Andi Schmied is a visual artist and architect dealing with anomalies found in our contemporary cityscapes and problematic dead-ends of urban planning. In her most recent book, ‘Private Views: A High-Rise Panorama of Manhattan’, she uncovers the domestic spaces of the New York elite.

Not what I was expecting.  

She faked being a billionaire so you could see NYC’s best views

All of us want to see Manhattan from above, but very few can do it from their own living room. While posing as an apartment-hunting Hungarian billionaire, Andi Schmied accessed and documented Manhattan’s most exclusive high-rise properties: for the duration of the project, she inhabited a fictional persona, Gabriella, a mother of one whose husband is an antique dealer. Complemented by fragments of the real estate conversations, the talk guides the audience through this elite world hidden up in the clouds, while highlighting its problematic nature. Andi Schmied is a visual artist and architect dealing with anomalies found in our contemporary cityscapes and problematic dead-ends of urban planning. In her most recent book, ‘Private Views: A High-Rise Panorama of Manhattan’, she uncovers the domestic spaces of the New York elite.
That's an excellent TED talk. These empty ultra-luxury high-rises bring lots of tax dollars so they will not go away in NYC, Chicago, and Miami. And if they don't bring traffic, even better. Although a vacant apartment doesn't bring human capital into a city, with contributions to the cultural fabric, and use of restaurants, etc.

The talk brings up some other negatives, such as the shade they cast on their neighbors, including the flora of Central Park. With so many high-rises so close together, the views are not unobstructed in many units. If I had the money, I'd prefer a great view from about the 6th floor of a park or body of water. On the 90th floor everything below is so small, being on the balcony if there is one is scary, and sometimes clouds obscure the view.

In Miami, more of these ultra-luxury units are actually lived in, especially by the younger wealthy such as tech-billionaire Lucy Guo who recently held a huge party that grew to 120 people, a lemur, and a giant snake, resulting in the  HOA putting Guo on notice.

Tech Bros, Exotic Animals: HOA Pissed After Silicon Valley Transplant's Wild Party

this is my world (I design the insides of these apartments) and clients... so I didn't find the video terribly interesting or informative, tbh. when I had first heard about this woman doing this, it was under the guise "artist", so I assumed there was some end result "art" of the photos or other media that would make some kind of statement. hopefully there is, more than this.

this is my world (I design the insides of these apartments) and clients... so I didn't find the video terribly interesting or informative, tbh. when I had first heard about this woman doing this, it was under the guise "artist", so I assumed there was some end result "art" of the photos or other media that would make some kind of statement. hopefully there is, more than this.
Floppo and I once worked at a firm that designed a multi multi million dollar apartment in a Richard Meier building on the west side that took two years. The view’s from this building we’re amazing.  I always loved visiting the site.The owners slept in it twice during the next three years then sold it to a niece who hired us to gut it and re-design it. She then went to jail for tax fraud before it was finished, sold it and still owed us a lot of money we never collected. I’m fairly certain it was a Saudi Prince who bought it and we spent a crazy amount of money trying to get him to hire us for a third time. Luckily we didn’t win. So many tens of millions spent on a “home” no one ever lived in. I’ve often thought about writing a book about those days including the time a client, whose family made their fortune building bombs, threatened to destroy me for trying to collect on a painting bill. But I’m not sure I want to live it again. 

Floppo is cool though. Glad I met him. Met my wife there too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Floppo and I once worked at a firm that designed a multi multi million dollar apartment in a Richard Meier building on the west side that took two years. The view’s from this building we’re amazing.  I always loved visiting the site.The owners slept in it twice during the next three years then sold it to a niece who hired us to gut it and re-design it. She then went to jail for tax fraud before it was finished, sold it and still owed us a lot of money we never collected. I’m fairly certain it was a Saudi Prince who bought it and we spent a crazy amount of money trying to get him to hire us for a third time. Luckily we didn’t win. So many tens of millions spent on a “home” no one ever lived in. I’ve often thought about writing a book about those days including the time a client, whose family made their fortune building bombs, threatened to destroy me for trying to collect on a painting bill. But I’m not sure I want to live it again. 

Not buying it ... This all sounds made up. 

:jawdrop:

Yeah, that was a low point and why I’m out of that business at the moment. I discovered our senior designer and his coordinator were working directly for the client (while we were paying them too) to finish the project while I was trying to collect, and I had to pretend I didn’t know until I could collect.  It was a lot of money. These are the type of people who hire someone to go to their homes once a year just to change the spices and I doubt they know how to turn on the stove. I was just trying to get him to honor his contract. And he threatens me personally. Just doing my job d bag. 

The tax shelter factor and obstructed views is widely known but I never thought about the drawback of shadows and lack of light on Central Park.  Just reading up how it effects Sheeps Meadow.  That's really sad.  That was one of the few places you could go in Manhattan and lay out in nature to get good sun.  

Was in Central Park yesterday and today and it was cold as balls.  But mostly just because it's February. 

We did notice how the buildings on the south end of the park seem to keep growing though.  Mrs. Dinsy suggested that the "Essex" sign seemed to stand out a lot more in past times than it does today.

At this point I'm just happy Central Park hasn't been sold to Disney tbh.  At the rate we're going it's only a matter of time.

Yeah, that was a low point and why I’m out of that business at the moment. I discovered our senior designer and his coordinator were working directly for the client (while we were paying them too) to finish the project while I was trying to collect, and I had to pretend I didn’t know until I could collect.  It was a lot of money. These are the type of people who hire someone to go to their homes once a year just to change the spices and I doubt they know how to turn on the stove. I was just trying to get him to honor his contract. And he threatens me personally. Just doing my job d bag. 
Well, you did sleep with a few of his wives.

Was in Central Park yesterday and today and it was cold as balls.  But mostly just because it's February. 

We did notice how the buildings on the south end of the park seem to keep growing though.  Mrs. Dinsy suggested that the "Essex" sign seemed to stand out a lot more in past times than it does today.

At this point I'm just happy Central Park hasn't been sold to Disney tbh.  At the rate we're going it's only a matter of time.
Oh sure....don't let us know you're here.

Actually...sure, don't let us know you're here.

Have fun!

The tax shelter factor and obstructed views is widely known but I never thought about the drawback of shadows and lack of light on Central Park.  Just reading up how it effects Sheeps Meadow.  That's really sad.  That was one of the few places you could go in Manhattan and lay out in nature to get good sun.  
I am pretty sure the shadows aren't reaching Sheep's Meadow. But closer to 59th, definitely. Mostly, you used to be able to stand in the park and see trees and sky. Now, looking south its a wall of super talls.

Eta...could be hitting in the winter with lower sun- summer time I'm pretty sure no. 

Oh sure....don't let us know you're here.
Mrs. Dinsy had the weekend Bataan Death March fully booked and we're home already.  Statue of Liberty, WTC memorial, early dinner, and the Lion King.

One of these times I'd love to meet you and some of other NYCers though -- just not with the 10yo in tow.

Mrs. Dinsy had the weekend Bataan Death March fully booked and we're home already.  Statue of Liberty, WTC memorial, early dinner, and the Lion King.

One of these times I'd love to meet you and some of other NYCers though -- just not with the 10yo in tow.
Nice trip. Hope you had a good time...lion king is a fun show.

But you're just afraid my 10yo would kick your 10yos ###.

Nice trip. Hope you had a good time...lion king is a fun show.

But you're just afraid my 10yo would kick your 10yos ###.
Lion King was great.

But honest to god, it was cold.  Mrs. D is a SoCal girl who hates the cold more than anyone I know, so it never occurred to me that I might be the one to tap out.  But the wind chill at the Statue had to be single digits, all the concrete at the WTC was frigid, and she was still Energizer Bunnying it.  20,000 steps according to Jr's fitbit.

Then up this AM on another march from midtown to the Lennon/Imagine Memorial.  The remnants of Napoleon's Army were warmer on the retreat from Moscow.  I was a broken man by noon today. 

Lesson learned.  Vacation >>>>>> Cold.

Lion King was great.

But honest to god, it was cold.  Mrs. D is a SoCal girl who hates the cold more than anyone I know, so it never occurred to me that I might be the one to tap out.  But the wind chill at the Statue had to be single digits, all the concrete at the WTC was frigid, and she was still Energizer Bunnying it.  20,000 steps according to Jr's fitbit.

Then up this AM on another march from midtown to the Lennon/Imagine Memorial.  The remnants of Napoleon's Army were warmer on the retreat from Moscow.  I was a broken man by noon today. 

Lesson learned.  Vacation >>>>>> Cold.
:lol:  

Wait...you weren't actually walking were you? No subway/bus/taxi/Uber? It's been witch's teat cold.

I am pretty sure the shadows aren't reaching Sheep's Meadow. But closer to 59th, definitely. Mostly, you used to be able to stand in the park and see trees and sky. Now, looking south its a wall of super talls.

Eta...could be hitting in the winter with lower sun- summer time I'm pretty sure no. 

This was the article that caught my eye.  It's been a few years since I've been able to relax in CP but I'd hate to see this: 

https://www.westsiderag.com/2018/11/11/billionaire-shadows-now-creeping-across-central-park-olmsted-and-vaux-would-not-be-happy

Users who are viewing this thread