What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shingles - Body kind, not roofing (3 Viewers)

Here's a good article on why the mRNA vaccine was developed so quickly.

The process was faster than usual because researchers had already built an mRNA platform – a way of getting viral mRNA into the body – for cancer and other vaccines under trial. It meant this could be put into action as soon as the genomic sequence of the virus was shared.

I got chicken pox when I was 4 or 5 because my mom set up a playdate with an infected kid. Wiki says those that got chicken pox before 18 months of age are more likely to get shingles.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

So if there are people getting it in their early to mid 40's, why the heck do doctors refuse to give the vaccine until you're 50? If I get this damn thing before I'm allowed to get the vaccine, I'm gonna be pissed.
I had it last year (48). Fortunately, my case was mild, but yeah- as soon as I can get the vax, I'll be doing it.

So if there are people getting it in their early to mid 40's, why the heck do doctors refuse to give the vaccine until you're 50? If I get this damn thing before I'm allowed to get the vaccine, I'm gonna be pissed.
You are playing an odds game.  It's not common before you are 50.  Since the vaccine needs boosters and is not completely without risk (no vaccine is), it's just not recommended that early.

It’s unusual to get shingles before 50, but not impossible. Many people who get it earlier have problems with their immune system. Here’s a graph of the incidence according to age - note the incidence has been going up for almost every age group over time.

It’s unusual to get shingles before 50, but not impossible. Many people who get it earlier have problems with their immune system. Here’s a graph of the incidence according to age - note the incidence has been going up for almost every age group over time.

It is more likely than I thought to get shingles young, that link does not reassure me. If I am reading that graph right it is about a 6% chance to get shingles before age 50.

It is about 0.4% per year starting at 35 and 0.4x15 years = 6%

Is there some added risk for complications getting the vaccine before 50? I guess I'm asking why should the doctors care if I want to get it in my mid 40's? Are they rationing this thing?

My doc said he and his group had seen a huge spike since the pandemic in 40 somethings.... he assumed increased stress with a small small small chance of vaccine side effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Anonymous said:
Is there some added risk for complications getting the vaccine before 50? I guess I'm asking why should the doctors care if I want to get it in my mid 40's? Are they rationing this thing?
Not that I’m aware. ACIP makes the recommendations, and they recently lowered the age from 60 to 50, presumably taking into account risk vs. benefit, cost and vaccine availability. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rec is based on not having enough younger people in their safety/efficacy studies (because shingles is rare under age 50) to draw definitive conclusions. FWIW, it tends to be more mild in immunocompetent younger people.

Push comes to shove, I doubt most doctors would care if you wanted it earlier, but your insurer might.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemical X said:
got my first yesterday, feel like i was struck by a car and left in the road…….
I hope you're feeling better very soon. I felt that way after my 2nd dose and booster of Moderna. Hopefully my second shingles shot will go smoothly post-shot. 

MTskibum said:
It is more likely than I thought to get shingles young, that link does not reassure me. If I am reading that graph right it is about a 6% chance to get shingles before age 50.

It is about 0.4% per year starting at 35 and 0.4x15 years = 6%
I think that’s correct, but you have to consider a chunk of people who get it earlier have impaired immunity. Some of those people may be given the vaccine earlier, although it’s not FDA-approved to do so.

matuski said:
My doc said he and his group had seen a huge spike since the pandemic in 40 somethings.... he assumed increased stress with a small small small chance of vaccine side effect.
Yeah, it’s been reported both post-vaccination and post-covid.

matuski said:
I know several friends who have gotten it also (of this sample size, only a couple <50 though) in the last couple of years. I wonder if Covid (infection) might also be "waking up" some dormant varicella.  One of the many things we don't know about Covid yet. 

I had a pretty bad case of chicken pox when I was little, so reading through this thread rather terrifies me. I was going to ask the same question @Mr Anonymous asked of why are we still waiting to age 50 if people are getting it earlier. Maybe not enough time yet (or large enough sample size) for them to change the recommendation yet. 

ran across this today, pretty good summary of all things shingles:

Shingles and the Shingles Vaccine: Get the Facts

answered my own question:

You can’t get it if you’re under 50 (with some exceptions) because it wasn’t tested in people under 50. 

also relevant:

having recently had COVID-19 does increase your risk of getting shingles. A recent study showed that adults aged 50 and up had a 15% increased risk of shingles within 6 months of COVID-19, compared to shingles rates in adults who didn’t have COVID. The authors did not look at younger people, so it’s not known if this is true across all ages.

Users who are viewing this thread