What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shockey gone or not (1 Viewer)

uconnalum

Footballguy
ESPN News is reporting that he will be traded or released from his contract with the NY Giants and Newsday is reporting that he is not going anywhere. IMO the Giants have proved they are a better team without him. What happened to the day when news stations and papers reported the news when it happened and not start all these rumors.

ESPN News is reporting that he will be traded or released from his contract with the NY Giants and Newsday is reporting that he is not going anywhere. IMO the Giants have proved they are a better team without him. What happened to the day when news stations and papers reported the news when it happened and not start all these rumors.
I wouldn't miss him. Eli tries to force him the ball to make him happy. Last time I checked, Kevin Boss doesn't complain about anything and does nothing but make key plays.

I think the cap hit if the Giants cut Shockey is about 4 million. So it doesn't make much sense to just cut him.

He has a broken leg right now, so I doubt the Giants could get any kind of value for him.

He is a very good tight end and I think he is an asset to the team. The guy is a weapon from the TE position and a very good blocker. I think the Giants would be foolish to let him go.

If he was a problem for Eli in the huddle in the past, my guess is Eli's Super Bowl MVP will shut him up now.

He won't be given away or released, I don't think, but I think a decent offer and a team could have him leading up to the draft.

It's not a good situation for NY. Hopefully he fully won't be healed when Training Camp starts so they can PUP him.

I think the cap hit if the Giants cut Shockey is about 4 million. So it doesn't make much sense to just cut him.

He has a broken leg right now, so I doubt the Giants could get any kind of value for him.

He is a very good tight end and I think he is an asset to the team. The guy is a weapon from the TE position and a very good blocker. I think the Giants would be foolish to let him go.

If he was a problem for Eli in the huddle in the past, my guess is Eli's Super Bowl MVP will shut him up now.
I agree completely.... Eli now has the clout to tell him to shut his mouth in the huddle... and after seeing Eli in the playoffs, I think Shockey should be smart enough now to know that Eli doesn't need a second coach in the huddle. Giants GM Jerry Reese is very smart about money, so they won't cut him to take the cap hit. Most of this is the NY media with nothing else to talk about so they just speculate on things and call them "rumors."

Also, who is behind Boss? A pure blocking TE in Michael Matthews who drops balls all the time. If the Giants cut Shockey, they'd be completely screwed if Boss got hurt. One reason the Giants won this year is because of their depth.... and they know depth is important, and they're in the position to draft for depth.

That said, if on draft day there is a sweet offer that would allow the Giants to move up and take someone they want, they'll certainly consider it. But it would have to be amazing... like an opportunity to move up and take Kenny Phillips or Rashard Mendenhall.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of things I find interesting about the Shockey situation. Last week, Shockey was reported to be in search of a new contract, which is strange with his injury history and the play of Boss. Secondly, as stated above, his contract is relatively cheap as long as Shockey is healthy enough to play. This is from Rotoworld:

10/12/2005: Signed a five-year

$26 million contract extension through 2011

The deal included a $3 million signing bonus and an initial roster bonus of $7.5 million. $5.2 million available in incentives

2008: $1.925 million (+ $2.4 million reporting bonus)

2009: $3.025 million

2010: $3.825 million

2011: $4,508,332

2012: Free Agent

Giants GM Jerry Reese said Wednesday that Jeremy Shockey will not be dealt this offseason.

"He is our starting tight end," Reese said. One NFL official told Newsday that Shockey wouldn't even be in high demand, asking rhetorically "Would you make a trade for someone with a rod in his leg who can hardly walk?" Shockey should be fine by training camp, but he's clearly not on the block.

Source: Newsday

Giants GM Jerry Reese said Wednesday that Jeremy Shockey will not be dealt this offseason.

"He is our starting tight end," Reese said. One NFL official told Newsday that Shockey wouldn't even be in high demand, asking rhetorically "Would you make a trade for someone with a rod in his leg who can hardly walk?" Shockey should be fine by training camp, but he's clearly not on the block.

Source: Newsday
I was about to comment on that article.I don't think Shockey will be traded, although to play Devil's advocate, it's the Newsday writer who said that Shockey won't be traded. All Reese said is that "He is our starting tight end".

At any rate, Shockey could not pass a physical so a trade seems very unlikely.

I'd expect to see more 2 TE sets for the Giants next year.

Shockey is a talented player and they should keep him but he needs to be knocked down a peg. His antics won't be tolerated any more and that's a good thing for the Giants.

Reese let the word out that he's always open to discuss trades. That's all. Guys will start rumors, guesses, and whatever else from that.

Shockey is one of the most talented TEs in the NFL. Boss is not.

I hear ya when you talk about recent results and Shockey's injury history (playing thru it or not) is frustrating.

IF some team discusses Shockey with Reese, I think Reese will find it's very hard to get good value for him in a trade. The broken leg, the attitude, living in Miami when team wants you at practice facility.....there's alot of baggage to be subtracted from what his talent would get them in trade

Shockey can`t beat out his Boss!

:popcorn: my thoughts exactly. He changes defenses just by being out there.

I'm mixed on this. Shockey is a great TE. However he has average hands and runs awful routes sometimes. But when he gets the ball he's a force.

He's a damn good blocker too.

He won't get cut. If Reese can get value for him I think he'll deal him. However Reese isn't going to shop him at all, but if he comes across an offer that's too good to pass up... why not?

Plus someone tell me the last time Shockey played a whole season? Rookie year?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see where Shockey is all that.

His reputation and attitude precede him, which is poor.

He's not a consistent or steady contributor, disappearing in games at times. When he's NOT injured.

His best season was his rookie year, and has declined ever since.

Through the Giants' playoff run and ultimately the Super Bowl, can anybody really say "boy, they sure do miss Shockey"?

Nope.

There is a reason for all the talk about whether Kevin Boss is the real long-term solution at tight end for the Giants. Shockey's 6.8 YPA this past season was mediocre, and that doesn't tell the whole story. Take away his 12-catch, 129-yard game against Dallas in Week 10, and Shockey averaged 3.5 receptions and 38 yards in every other game in which he played.

I'm mixed on this. Shockey is a great TE. However he has average hands and runs awful routes sometimes. But when he gets the ball he's a force.

He's a damn good blocker too.

He won't get cut. If Reese can get value for him I think he'll deal him. However Reese isn't going to shop him at all, but if he comes across an offer that's too good to pass up... why not?

Plus someone tell me the last time Shockey played a whole season? Rookie year?
Great TE's don't have average hands and don't run awful routes. Shockey has been overrated since he came out of college. This guy wouldn't even spend off season time with his QB to develop timing. If Shockey never played another game no one would miss him.

I agree completely.... Eli now has the clout to tell him to shut his mouth in the huddle... and after seeing Eli in the playoffs, I think Shockey should be smart enough now to know that Eli doesn't need a second coach in the huddle. Giants GM Jerry Reese is very smart about money, so they won't cut him to take the cap hit. Most of this is the NY media with nothing else to talk about so they just speculate on things and call them "rumors."

Also, who is behind Boss? A pure blocking TE in Michael Matthews who drops balls all the time. If the Giants cut Shockey, they'd be completely screwed if Boss got hurt. One reason the Giants won this year is because of their depth.... and they know depth is important, and they're in the position to draft for depth.

That said, if on draft day there is a sweet offer that would allow the Giants to move up and take someone they want, they'll certainly consider it. But it would have to be amazing... like an opportunity to move up and take Kenny Phillips or Rashard Mendenhall.
Really? The Giants would trade a Pro Bowl Player for the right to move up and take a running back? When they are maybe the deapest team in the NFL for running backs? Really?

Shockey's not going anywhere. NY writers need some headlines to sell some papers.

Shockey may be as bright as the bottom of a lake but he's a fierce competitor who creates mismatches. The Giants O is definitely better off having him. I also think the "Eli forces too many passes to Shockey to keep him happy" argument isn't valid. Eli habitually forced passes to Plax but not so much to Shockey.

Shockey and Eli are consistently on different pages of the offensive playbook. Time to stay in Jersey and out of Miami in a few months.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see where Shockey is all that.His reputation and attitude precede him, which is poor.He's not a consistent or steady contributor, disappearing in games at times. When he's NOT injured.His best season was his rookie year, and has declined ever since.Through the Giants' playoff run and ultimately the Super Bowl, can anybody really say "boy, they sure do miss Shockey"?Nope.There is a reason for all the talk about whether Kevin Boss is the real long-term solution at tight end for the Giants. Shockey's 6.8 YPA this past season was mediocre, and that doesn't tell the whole story. Take away his 12-catch, 129-yard game against Dallas in Week 10, and Shockey averaged 3.5 receptions and 38 yards in every other game in which he played.
Sure you can say that Giants didn’t miss Shockey during the playoff run because they won all of their games, but lets not pretend that Kevin Boss tore it up during the playoffs.Kevin Boss 5 catches for 90 yards in the playoffs (Includes the 45 yarder in the SuperBowl)That’s a whopping 5 catches in 4 games.The Giants game plan changed once Shockey went down, it had too because Boss isn’t the player that Shockey is. Nothing against Boss he is young and shows potential and I like the kid. Don’t forget that at around the same time Shockey went down, Steve Smith got healthy. I am not a big fan of Shockey’s antics but I think he is a very talented player who creates miss matches in the passing game AND is a hell of a run blocker. You just don’t give that type of talent away.Edit to add..You say Shockey isn't all that. Where would you put him in your TE rankings?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see where Shockey is all that.His reputation and attitude precede him, which is poor.He's not a consistent or steady contributor, disappearing in games at times. When he's NOT injured.His best season was his rookie year, and has declined ever since.Through the Giants' playoff run and ultimately the Super Bowl, can anybody really say "boy, they sure do miss Shockey"?Nope.There is a reason for all the talk about whether Kevin Boss is the real long-term solution at tight end for the Giants. Shockey's 6.8 YPA this past season was mediocre, and that doesn't tell the whole story. Take away his 12-catch, 129-yard game against Dallas in Week 10, and Shockey averaged 3.5 receptions and 38 yards in every other game in which he played.
Sure you can say that Giants didn’t miss Shockey during the playoff run because they won all of their games, but lets not pretend that Kevin Boss tore it up during the playoffs.Kevin Boss 5 catches for 90 yards in the playoffs (Includes the 45 yarder in the SuperBowl)That’s a whopping 5 catches in 4 games.The Giants game plan changed once Shockey went down, it had too because Boss isn’t the player that Shockey is. Nothing against Boss he is young and shows potential and I like the kid. Don’t forget that at around the same time Shockey went down, Steve Smith got healthy. I am not a big fan of Shockey’s antics but I think he is a very talented player who creates miss matches in the passing game AND is a hell of a run blocker. You just don’t give that type of talent away.Edit to add..You say Shockey isn't all that. Where would you put him in your TE rankings?
Second-tier.

He's not a consistent or steady contributor, disappearing in games at times. When he's NOT injured.

Through the Giants' playoff run and ultimately the Super Bowl, can anybody really say "boy, they sure do miss Shockey"?

Nope.

There is a reason for all the talk about whether Kevin Boss is the real long-term solution at tight end for the Giants. Shockey's 6.8 YPA this past season was mediocre, and that doesn't tell the whole story. Take away his 12-catch, 129-yard game against Dallas in Week 10, and Shockey averaged 3.5 receptions and 38 yards in every other game in which he played.
Sure you can say that Giants didn’t miss Shockey during the playoff run because they won all of their games, but lets not pretend that Kevin Boss tore it up during the playoffs.Kevin Boss 5 catches for 90 yards in the playoffs (Includes the 45 yarder in the SuperBowl)

That’s a whopping 5 catches in 4 games.

The Giants game plan changed once Shockey went down, it had too because Boss isn’t the player that Shockey is. Nothing against Boss he is young and shows potential and I like the kid. Don’t forget that at around the same time Shockey went down, Steve Smith got healthy.

I am not a big fan of Shockey’s antics but I think he is a very talented player who creates miss matches in the passing game AND is a hell of a run blocker.

You just don’t give that type of talent away.

Edit to add..

You say Shockey isn't all that. Where would you put him in your TE rankings?
Second-tier.
Bottom Second-tier.

Shockey and Eli are consistently on different pages of the offensive playbook. Time to stay in Jersey and out of Miami in a few months.
If I put myself in Shockey's shoes, I've taken some serious hits to my ego this year and have learned a few lessons as well. I'm not the Savior of this team, I'm just a part of it.....Eli is a winner with or without me.....the team won a SB without me.....If I work my butt off I can help this team become a dynasty......I'm not as full of awesomeness as I thought.In other words, the whole season would be pretty humbling I'd assume.

Any capologists know if there is any chance of a Shockey for LJ Smith trade?

Wishful thinking on the part of this Rutgers alum/Giants diehard.

If I put myself in Shockey's shoes, I've taken some serious hits to my ego this year and have learned a few lessons as well. I'm not the Savior of this team, I'm just a part of it.....Eli is a winner with or without me.....the team won a SB without me.....If I work my butt off I can help this team become a dynasty......I'm not as full of awesomeness as I thought.In other words, the whole season would be pretty humbling I'd assume.
You are obviously much smarter than Shockey is.

Nope.

Sure you can say that Giants didn’t miss Shockey during the playoff run because they won all of their games, but lets not pretend that Kevin Boss tore it up during the playoffs.Kevin Boss 5 catches for 90 yards in the playoffs (Includes the 45 yarder in the SuperBowl)

The Giants game plan changed once Shockey went down, it had too because Boss isn’t the player that Shockey is. Nothing against Boss he is young and shows potential and I like the kid. Don’t forget that at around the same time Shockey went down, Steve Smith got healthy.

I am not a big fan of Shockey’s antics but I think he is a very talented player who creates miss matches in the passing game AND is a hell of a run blocker.

Edit to add..

Second-tier.
Bottom Second-tier.
So what does that make him? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? Top 20?IMO he is no worse than top 10. I think is somewhere between 4-7 right now.

Again I am not a fan of his antics but I like his talent and like I said in an earlier post, I think Eli and his SuperBowl MVP can tell Shockey to bow down and kiss the ring biotch if he starts mouthing off.

Yenrub said:
Phurfur said:
Andy Herron said:
Yenrub said:

Nope.

Edit to add..

Second-tier.
Bottom Second-tier.
So what does that make him? Top 5? Top 10? Top 15? Top 20?IMO he is no worse than top 10. I think is somewhere between 4-7 right now.

Again I am not a fan of his antics but I like his talent and like I said in an earlier post, I think Eli and his SuperBowl MVP can tell Shockey to bow down and kiss the ring biotch if he starts mouthing off.
Barely top 10, if that. Maybe top 12.

I still believe in him and think the best of his career is to come. He hasn't been able to stay healthy. That should change by law of averages (if his leg heals correctly). Shockey is a very underrated blocker and not many TE's can put up 10 catches for over 100 yards like he can. Like someone said above defenses must game plan for him because he is a serious weapon. Let's be realistic here. Shockey would only have helped the Giants in the playoffs. Boss is a nice talent with upside but Shockey is an offensive force that the Giant O needs.

Yenrub said:
Phurfur said:
Andy Herron said:
Yenrub said:

Nope.

Edit to add..

Second-tier.
Bottom Second-tier.

Right now I have him as the last TE in Tier 2 at #9.

Yenrub said:
Phurfur said:
Andy Herron said:
Yenrub said:

Nope.

Edit to add..

Second-tier.
Bottom Second-tier.

Right now I have him as the last TE in Tier 2 at #9.

Users who are viewing this thread