What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shoop has chance to be Raiders Coach? (1 Viewer)

BringItOn

Footballguy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...i-sportsnew-hed

Silver and black a Shoop attack?

Ex-Bears assistant has shot to become Raiders' head coach

By John Mullin

Tribune staff reporter

Published January 25, 2006

MOBILE, Ala. -- Sure, he has changed some, evolved a bit, from his days with the Bears.

But the intense gaze, reflective pause before he answers questions and the sincere passion for his job are still unmistakable. John Shoop, even in Oakland Raiders garb, always will be John Shoop.

And that wardrobe could become a little deeper shade of Raiders silver and black.

Shoop, often vilified as Bears offensive coordinator under **** Jauron from 2000-03, lasted one season as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback coach and joined the Raiders to coach that position before this past season.

Soon, he could become the latest in this off-season's wave of first-time NFL head coaches. Shoop interviewed with Oakland owner Al Davis late last week for the head-coaching vacancy created by the firing of Norv Turner.

Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Pete Whisenhut is considered the front-runner and Hall of Fame receiver James Lofton also interviewed. But it was telling Shoop's contract was not terminated after Turner's dismissal, and he has an excellent relationship with Davis, the key to becoming a member of the Raiders' family.

"It's a great organization and I really enjoy working for Mr. Davis and the Raiders," Shoop said Tuesday, in Mobile for workouts leading up to Saturday's Senior Bowl. "I feel great about [the interview] and about working for the Raiders in whatever role."

Shoop and his wife, a Presbyterian minister with a congregation in Oakland, live in Oakland. If there is any bitterness over his stormy final two years in Chicago following the 13-3 run in 2001, it is impossible to see.

"There are tough times in every job, but don't forget, we were 13-3 and bringing it," Shoop said. "I really respect the Bears' management and where they're going, but we weren't on the same page, especially at the quarterback position. … That's the way things go."

Shoop was among the Bears assistants who wanted to sign quarterback Jake Delhomme instead of Kordell Stewart in 2003 to replace the injured Jim Miller. Shoop's quarterbacks for the final two Bears seasons included Miller, Stewart, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris, Cory Sauter and rookie Rex Grossman.

If he could relive that experience, he would be more flexible in his game plans and more resolute in pushing for personnel choices.

Bears players liked that he stuck to a game plan, unlike his predecessor Gary Crowton, but they also thought he was too dogmatic in staying with it too long.

His offensive style has loosened up since leaving Chicago from working with Turner in Oakland and Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay.

"I was always a high-percentage-completion guy and I learned from Jon and Norv," Shoop said. "Norv really helped me with the down-the-field vertical game. He helped me with a lot of things and I recognize that some of those were my weaknesses.

"I also recognize that [judging] personnel could have been a weakness and working with a Hall of Famer like Al Davis has strengthened that. I really have strong convictions about coaching [quarterbacks] and who should be playing. If I could do it all over again [with the Bears], I'd fight harder for those."

Shoop was delighted at the news this week that Marv Levy hired Jauron to coach the Buffalo Bills. Jauron elevated Shoop from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator when Crowton left for Brigham Young late in the 2000 season.

Jauron was unable to lure an established coach for the position because of a prevailing belief around the NFL that, with the hiring of Jerry Angelo as general manager, Jauron would be out of job after one more lackluster season.

Jauron turned to Shoop and his conservative offensive philosophy meshed with a league-leading defense to produce the 13-3 record. Jauron and Shoop had their contracts extended two more years.

"The best coach I've ever been around," Shoop said of Jauron. "The best. Being in Chicago was a wonderful experience."

This is still better than Snoop as the next Raiders coach.
I'd rather have Snoop ... at least he'd be able to connect with the players and you KNOW he'll be down to drop whatever benjamins are necessary.

Shoop, often vilified as Bears offensive coordinator under **** Jauron from 2000-03, lasted one season as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback coach and joined the Raiders to coach that position before this past season.

His offensive style has loosened up since leaving Chicago from working with Turner in Oakland and Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay.

"I was always a high-percentage-completion guy and I learned from Jon and Norv," Shoop said. "Norv really helped me with the down-the-field vertical game. He helped me with a lot of things and I recognize that some of those were my weaknesses.
Based on these quotes, maybe he should get another shot as an offensive coordinator, but as a head coach?

Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Pete Whisenhut is considered the front-runner and Hall of Fame receiver James Lofton also interviewed. But it was telling Shoop's contract was not terminated after Turner's dismissal, and he has an excellent relationship with Davis, the key to becoming a member of the Raiders' family.
:confused:

I read this title quickly and thought it said "Snoop".I know Al Davis is crazy, but I thought he had completely lost his mind and hired the D O double G

Users who are viewing this thread