What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sister's Book on Nabokov About to Drop (1 Viewer)

So I'm on chapter 12 right now. Refraining comment until I'm done, but so far the best anecdote is the story of Nabokov getting a visit on Halloween by a little girl dressed up as Lolita. He was absolutely horrified. :lmao:

I don't know why I find that so funny. Maybe because it happened in my home town.

My review of the book is out.

I met Andrea on Friday at a reading she did in my neighborhood. The weather was crappy and the Blackhawks were playing and the reading itself was sparsely attended. Apparently the other guy who was going to help drum up a crowd had some unexpected conflicts. Anyway, the reading went well and I got to talk to her a bit. Unfortunately, I had to skip out shortly after the reading. Otherwise, I honestly could have chatted her up about Nabokov and related topics for hours.

Anyway, that's my update.

It just got cited in the New York Review of Books.
Holy ####. I hadn't seen that and haven't talked to her this week. Thanks for posting it.

That's a huge review for her (she's actually on the cover in the print edition for June 6th) and it's mostly favorable even though he doesn't completely buy the biggest arguments.

Apparently I need to keep up with her Facebook page a little bit better.

Three weeks before Nabokov's Lolita was published, a desperate & creatively flagging Dorothy Parker published her first short story in The New Yorker in 14 years. The title?

"Lolita."

Looks like Edmund Wilson was the leak.

I wouldn't be surprised if this aside in Nabokov's history was cut from Pitzer's book. She must have known about it, right? It doesn't exactly fit her theme of Nabokov's political writing and would be nothing more than a footnote to her narrative. But still, and interesting footnote...

Hey wdcrob, bounce me a msg. I need to talk to you about your sister's work.

(you can't receive new msgs, so I'm posting here)

Thanks man.

My review of the book is out.

I met Andrea on Friday at a reading she did in my neighborhood. The weather was crappy and the Blackhawks were playing and the reading itself was sparsely attended. Apparently the other guy who was going to help drum up a crowd had some unexpected conflicts. Anyway, the reading went well and I got to talk to her a bit. Unfortunately, I had to skip out shortly after the reading. Otherwise, I honestly could have chatted her up about Nabokov and related topics for hours.

Anyway, that's my update.
I enjoyed reading your review.

12 of 23 reviews on Amazon give it 5 stars. That's quite an accomplishment for such a serious work.

You have every right to brag about your sister! :thumbup:

Nice timing on the bump here too... she just signed a contract for a 2nd book with Little Brown. Won't be out for 18-24 months though. :so proud:

Users who are viewing this thread