What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Six-Strike Copyright Alert system now in place (1 Viewer)

For the people looking to use a VPN, it is very simple to use in case you are intimidated at all.

For PIA (Private Internet Access), it is as simple as the following for Windows:

1) Download the client software

2) Login in

3) choose where you want to connect to

After the first time using it, you only need to do step 3. Very easy to use.

Another good thing about PIA is that for the $3 a month charge, you basically get a site license and you can run it on as many computers as you want. I run it on a desktop, 2 laptops and an ipad with no issues.
couple questions...

- is this an "always on" type service, or you only turn it on when you need (ie to download something)?

- spyware/adware free?

- does it automatically integrate with uTorrent or other torrent downloaders?

- any downside, besides the monthly fee?

I'm uh, asking for a friend...

For the people looking to use a VPN, it is very simple to use in case you are intimidated at all.

For PIA (Private Internet Access), it is as simple as the following for Windows:

2) Login in

Another good thing about PIA is that for the $3 a month charge, you basically get a site license and you can run it on as many computers as you want. I run it on a desktop, 2 laptops and an ipad with no issues.
couple questions...

- is this an "always on" type service, or you only turn it on when you need (ie to download something)?

- spyware/adware free?

You can leave it on (set it to start when PC turns on) or turn it off and on manually. Also, choose where (what country) your new IP is located in.

Spyware free.

I don't know if it integrates with torrent down loaders or not as I don't use torrents much anymore.

No downside for me.

ETA; Newly, I thought PIA limited you to 5 devices?

Last edited by a moderator:

2) Login in

couple questions...

- spyware/adware free?

You can leave it on (set it to start when PC turns on) or turn it off and on manually. Also, choose where (what country) your new IP is located in.

Spyware free.

I don't know if it integrates with torrent down loaders or not as I don't use torrents much anymore.

No downside for me.

ETA; Newly, I thought PIA limited you to 5 devices?
you could be right about the 5 devices as I only run it on 4.

But still, even at a 5 device limit, that is pretty good for the $3 a month.

Solid avatar by the way :)

2) Login in

couple questions...

- spyware/adware free?

* You can choose "always on" or "manual"

* Spyware/adware free

* It has not relationship to uTorrent. It can run whether or not you use a torrent downloader. The torrent downloader does not know (nor care) whether you are using a VPN

* No downside that I have seen. In fact many have experienced a slight speed up in the internet connection when using the VPN

If you want to read more about the PIA service, PCMAG did a review on them here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414799,00.asp

It really is a great product for just $3 a month how can you go wrong? I hear their customer support is really good too, but, I've never had to use it and that's the best customer support of all.

Just as a point of clarification: if you are connecting over a VPN it's virtually impossible that you will see an increase in internet speed (I'm assuming some placebo affect). The only way I'd imagine that to be true is if the incoming traffic was somehow obscured as to where it was coming from and assuming your ISP throttled data for certain websites/traffic.

VPNs are normally used and deployed within business settings to allow devices being used remotely to securely connect to a business network and access resources on the network as if it was on the LAN.

I had no idea until I saw this thread yesterday that they were being used for privacy reasons for consumers.

It really is a great product for just $3 a month how can you go wrong? I hear their customer support is really good too, but, I've never had to use it and that's the best customer support of all.
In the few years I have been with them I have only had to contact them once after I got a big IOS update on my IPAD.

The customer service rep fixed my issue right in a chat in a couple of minutes.

Just as a point of clarification: if you are connecting over a VPN it's virtually impossible that you will see an increase in internet speed
Many people have seen it, even the professional reviewers

From PC Mag

"To measure network speed, I ran the speed tests available on SpeedTest.net to measure download and upload speeds when connecting to servers in different cities. I ran the test twice with the VPN service turned off, and again when turned on, and picked the best measurements. The figures below are over a wired connection, not wireless.

Private Internet Access is clearly using bandwidth compression and other methods to improve performance, since I consistently saw better upload speeds on the VPN than I was when disconnected."

I had no idea until I saw this thread yesterday that they were being used for privacy reasons for consumers.
:pickle:

I'm not sure I buy the speed increase either. PC Mag are a bunch of hacks imo. I usually connect through Toronto which they list as a 100Mbps connection and speed tests with and without a VPN on my 50Mbps internet don't show any difference which was my main concern when I first started using a VPN. They are good enough now days that it's not an issue.

:pickle:

I'm not sure I buy the speed increase either. PC Mag are a bunch of hacks imo. I usually connect through Toronto which they list as a 100Mbps connection and speed tests with and without a VPN on my 50Mbps internet don't show any difference which was my main concern when I first started using a VPN. They are good enough now days that it's not an issue.
I have not tested this since I first started using the service years ago.

I just tried again now using speedtest.net on my new Surface 3 (running wireless)

I ran a test with no VPN and then restested using a VPN connected to US-East.

My download speeds were slightly slower and my upload speeds were slightly faster when comparing the two.

I do not have COMCAST's top residential internet speed as I am too cheap to pay for it and instead just have their basic tier speed package.

Totally meaningless in any case I guess since their are probably so many variables involved. :)

I had OK customer support with PIA. I was unable to install their software onto my Mac and they had difficulty staying connected with me when they constantly wanted me to reboot my machine. Having to restart my support process with a new CS person whenever I had to reboot got old quick. Last night I had to reboot around 9ish, and when I came back their CS dept was shut down, no notice from CS person.

Big fan of PIA. Works great on my Mac and I also use it on my PCs and Android devices.

Other benefits not noted here:

Protects your information when on public WiFi (banking, etc).

Allows you to circumvent countries' national firewalls when traveling. Used it when I was in China for this.

Makes you appear to be surfing from different regions/countries (for regional blocks like sports), depending on which server you use.

I use it on an "as needed" basis rather than leave it on all the time. I only torrent from a private site and never got any copyright notices.

NewlyRetired said:
Quez said:
NewlyRetired said:
I got my 1st alert from Verizon. Downloading Disney Planes from a torrent off Yiffy. I have a private torrent site I also use that I will just use from now on. If I get another warning I will look I to vpn. I don't really download much anymore.
I download a lot from Yify. I use a VPN so I have been protected so far but could you explain more about what the private torrent site is and how using it protects you?
Torrentday is the site I use it requires a password. I don't have any invites. It looks like to get invites you need to donate $10 on PayPal. Maybe if you upload a ton you can also get them.
How does it protect you from the outside world seeing downloading items?
They are private, so they don't show up on the public places. Apparently, you get caught by groups watching IPs downloading from the free public ones. Then they report it to your ISP or something.

They are private, so they don't show up on the public places. Apparently, you get caught by groups watching IPs downloading from the free public ones. Then they report it to your ISP or something.
Sometimes there are a lot of cross over in the trackers of private sites with other sites, plus $10 isn't exactly private. Anyone with the same access to the tracker info can do just what you're saying: log all the IP addresses that download any bit of the copyrighted file and notify the respective ISPs. Best thing to do is just change your IP.

Its been awhile since I've been tagged by my ISP for a torrent download, but if I get hit again, I'll definitely sign up for that VPN NewlyRetired is pimping. Does anyone know if there's an expiration on the warnings you get from your ISP or am I essentially going to be at 2 warnings for forever?

Sometimes there are a lot of cross over in the trackers of private sites with other sites, plus $10 isn't exactly private. Anyone with the same access to the tracker info can do just what you're saying: log all the IP addresses that download any bit of the copyrighted file and notify the respective ISPs. Best thing to do is just change your IP.
When you say this, do you mean to not stay on the same connection (US Midwest, AU Melbourne, etc) all the time? That we should rotate our connection so that we would be harder to track?

When you say this, do you mean to not stay on the same connection (US Midwest, AU Melbourne, etc) all the time? That we should rotate our connection so that we would be harder to track?
No. Just don't use your real IP, Quez isn't using a VPN at all. If the VPN service is doing it's job your info is scrambled once you're connected. They have multiple servers at each location and their IPs change regularly anyway. I mean the NSA might be able to figure out what you are doing, but, the MPAA and RIAA won't. And hopefully the NSA has better things to worry about.

Just as a point of clarification: if you are connecting over a VPN it's virtually impossible that you will see an increase in internet speed
Many people have seen it, even the professional reviewers

From PC Mag

"To measure network speed, I ran the speed tests available on SpeedTest.net to measure download and upload speeds when connecting to servers in different cities. I ran the test twice with the VPN service turned off, and again when turned on, and picked the best measurements. The figures below are over a wired connection, not wireless.

Private Internet Access is clearly using bandwidth compression and other methods to improve performance, since I consistently saw better upload speeds on the VPN than I was when disconnected."
For absolute throughput, captain is correct. However, certain ISPs may or may not be in the habit of shaping certain types of traffic that they can no longer detect once a VPN Layer is introduced.

This is rule #1 of why you get a VPN outside the country with no US exit nodes. It's not foolproof, but it muddies the legal waters enough that you're no longer low hanging fruit. Another thing you want to look for is log retention from your VPN (more specifically, lack-thereof.)

No. Just don't use your real IP, Quez isn't using a VPN at all. If the VPN service is doing it's job your info is scrambled once you're connected. They have multiple servers at each location and their IPs change regularly anyway. I mean the NSA might be able to figure out what you are doing, but, the MPAA and RIAA won't. And hopefully the NSA has better things to worry about.
I think I am having a hard time understanding why one would use a private torrent site on the hopes that no one is looking instead of using a VPN and doing what ever you want....

Another thing you want to look for is log retention from your VPN (more specifically, lack-thereof.)
This was important to me when I was shopping for a VPN. This is what PIA's policy is:

PrivateInternetAccess.com does not collect or log any traffic or use of its Virtual Private Network ("VPN") or Proxy.

I think I am having a hard time understanding why one would use a private torrent site on the hopes that no one is looking instead of using a VPN and doing what ever you want....
I'm not trying to argue that point. Do both as far as I'm concerned. :ninja:
I agree with you but I was not referring to you. I was wondering more why Quez was making the choice between using a private torrent site and a VPN.

I'm not trying to argue that point. Do both as far as I'm concerned. :ninja:
I agree with you but I was not referring to you. I was wondering more why Quez was making the choice between using a private torrent site and a VPN.
I get it now -- I got caught in some quoting crossfire.

It was free for me, so until I get a warning using a private site I will continue to do so. I have 1 warning and that was using a public site . I think you get like 6 warnings before they do anything. If I get a 2nd i will look into vpn, but I don't download enough to get it now.

Is there a free vpn option? How difficult is it to use these things? Just install a program, then open utorrent?

It was free for me, so until I get a warning using a private site I will continue to do so. I have 1 warning and that was using a public site . I think you get like 6 warnings before they do anything. If I get a 2nd i will look into vpn, but I don't download enough to get it now.

Is there a free vpn option? How difficult is it to use these things? Just install a program, then open utorrent?
There are free VPN's but they obviously range in quality.

The VPN most of us use runs $3 per month. Considering how cheap that is, there is no reason to ever screw around with a free VPN imo.

Here are two posts made yesterday that might answer some of your basic VPN questions

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/677967-six-strike-copyright-alert-system-now-in-place/?p=18271504

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/677967-six-strike-copyright-alert-system-now-in-place/?p=18274271

I will look into it after another strike. I only download like 1 movie every 2-3 months at the most these days.

Users who are viewing this thread