What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So has Edge Lost all Goalline Carries? (1 Viewer)

corndog

Footballguy
Just curious if the goalline situation has been addressed by the Arizona coaching staff?? Cardinal homers?

Do the opportunities present themselves similar to what Barber had a year or two ago? Will AZ get done to the GL enough to put Tim on the level as Barber?

Edge did have a few opportunities inside the 10 on a couple drives. One ended in a FG and another a 1 yard td to Fitz.

Edge did have a few opportunities inside the 10 on a couple drives. One ended in a FG and another a 1 yard td to Fitz.
Was Edge in the game on the 1st and goal from the 1 yard line? I was so pissed that the Cards passed, I didn't really take the time to look.

I think the OP is asking, not assuming, that Hightower is the goal line back. Personally. I don't see it. Edge carried the ball 26 times and needed a blow from time to time. I believe it's coincidence that Hightower came in when they were inside the 5.

There was only one opportunity the entire game. That isn't a large enough sample size to say whether James will get goalline carries or not.

There was only one opportunity the entire game. That isn't a large enough sample size to say whether James will get goalline carries or not.
Hightower also came in on a 4th and 1 situation late in the game. As an Edge owner, I'm hoping the Hightower thing is coincidence. Surprised, there not more discussion around about this.

Edge has not been a goaline back in Arizona since I can remember....

he just is not a player who needs to score td's to feel he is competing.... he glady gave up that role to Shipp and others in the past..

From what I've seen, it's fairly evident that Hightower is going to be the goal line back, and also spell Edge when necessary. It makes sense from every angle. Edge does the work to get down there, then they bring in a strong running, fresh legged Hightower to punch it in. Edge never had a problem letting someone else get the TD's in the past, so it's safe to assume he won't mind letting the rookie get a few. It keeps Edge from taking that goal line pounding, and reduces injury risk to a RB who likely thinks about that more than ever. Everyone wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cardinals are playing the Dolphins this week -- so main GLB or not, I think Edge will punch in at least one TD.

But I think Hightower has the edge as the teams primary GLB, but as long as Edge can prove he can still get into the end zone, he'll still get some GL carries.

The Cardinals are playing the Dolphins this week -- so main GLB or not, I think Edge Hightower will punch in at least one TD.

But I think Hightower has the edge as the teams primary GLB, but as long as Edge can prove he can still get into the end zone, he'll still get some GL carries.
Fixed

Ketamine Dreams said:
JGalligan said:
The Cardinals are playing the Dolphins this week -- so main GLB or not, I think Edge Hightower will punch in at least one TD.

Fixed
Ah, fair enough. I think he'll punch in at least one as well. Maybe two? There playing the Dolphins for goodness sake! I could punch one in for a TD! :goodposting:

Here's some interesting stats from play-by-play:

1st Qtr: 2-7-SF 7 (11:46) 32-E.James right end pushed ob at SF 7 for no gain (52-P.Willis; 32-M.Lewis).
2nd Qtr: 1-10-SF 44 (12:03) 34-T.Hightower right guard to SF 41 for 3 yards (52-P.Willis).
2nd Qtr: 2-6-SF 41 (7:29) 34-T.Hightower right tackle to SF 41 for no gain (94-J.Smith).
2nd Qtr: 3-13-ARI 17 (1:01) (Shotgun) 34-T.Hightower up the middle to ARI 18 for 1 yard (94-J.Smith; 98-P.Haralson).
3rd Qtr: 2-8-SF 8 (9:48) 32-E.James right tackle to SF 6 for 2 yards (99-M.Lawson).
3rd Qtr: 2-9-SF 10 (5:03) 34-T.Hightower up the middle to SF 5 for 5 yards (92-A.Franklin).
3rd Qtr: 4-1-SF 2 (4:06) 34-T.Hightower up the middle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
4th Qtr: 1-10-SF 14 (3:39) 34-T.Hightower up the middle to SF 12 for 2 yards (26-M.Roman).
4th Qtr: 2-8-SF 12 (2:57) 34-T.Hightower up the middle to SF 14 for -2 yards (51-T.Spikes).
4th Qtr: 3-10-SF 14 (2:10) 32-E.James up the middle to SF 12 for 2 yards (93-R.Fields; 90-I.Sopoaga).If you look at the various usage. Edge was used inside the SF 10 several times. Hightower was used between the 20s a couple of times. It looks like when they were in, they played a whole series. The Hightower TD was the series where he was in.

I don't see how we can conclude that Hightower is a TD vulcher. Based on the play-by-play, ARI throws the ball on 3rd down. The plays inside the SF 10 where Edge was running the ball, typically ended in a 3rd down sack for Warner. The series where Hightower was in, they got 4 yds on 3rd-5, and had Hightower run the 1-yd since he was already in.

IMO, jury still out.

I seem to remember a quote from AZ personnel in the TIM HIGHTOWER Thread that said something to the tune of Hightower being the "official" goal line and short yardage back. I'll go look for it and report back.

Looks like Hightower will get the short yardage carries, but Edge will still get enough carries in the red zone to score 4-6 TDs this year.

This is all I found in the Hightower thread...

Arizona

Aug. 29, 2008

Cardinals rookie RB Hightower making strong impression

Back when he was the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, there was no denying Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt’s fondness for the two-back system, the best example being the 2005 season, when veteran Jerome Bettis provided a very effective counterpunch to the younger and faster Willie Parker. The way we hear it, the Cardinals quietly are salivating over the potential this coming season of a two-back attack featuring veteran Edgerrin James, in his customary featured role, and rookie Tim Hightower, in an enticing supporting role. With most of the focus in the desert this preseason on whether or not Matt Leinart or Kurt Warner will be the starting QB, as well as disgruntled WR Anquan Boldin’s contract concerns, the steady emergence of Hightower has been relatively overlooked — but certainly not by Whisenhunt, offensive coordinator Todd Haley or especially RB coach Maurice Carthon, who we hear was instantly impressed by the fifth-round rookie out of Richmond. Team insiders tell us they could see Hightower, who has shown a surprisingly quick burst and big-play ability, getting as many as 8-10 carries per game as a change-of-pace complement to James. Daily team observers also tell us the offensive line’s improved run blocking also could be considered legitimate reason for optimism.

corndog said:
bigfeet_88 said:
Was Edge in the game on the 1st and goal from the 1 yard line? I was so pissed that the Cards passed, I didn't really take the time to look.
I can't remember. I did go to nfl.com and look at the highlights on that td pass. Can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like edge. Almost looks like Arrington. Was a 3 wide spread formation.

Users who are viewing this thread