What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Socializing during a pandemic (1 Viewer)

the moops

Footballguy
Curious what others are doing to fend off feeling lonely and what not. My family is me, wife, 6 year old boy, 8 year old boy, 2 year old dog, 4 new baby chicks (the chicken variety)

We live on a lake in the twin cities. We moved here over the winter, so it has been a challenging time for two reasons. 1) it is cold as #### here in the winter so we barely got to see/know any of our neighbors, and 2) there is now a pandemic and we barely get to see/know our neighbors. The reason we moved here is because of the neighborhood. We collectively own this little island on the lake which has canoes, kayaks, playground, basketball hoop, boat ramp, dock, soccer net, etc. We still get to enjoy it, but just as a family, and not with neighbors.

We have been sheltered in place for the duration. I have made grocery store runs, and a couple hardware store runs. Wife hasn't left the house besides for walks, runs, bike rides, etc. Kids the same. And although the weather has turned nice, and we get out several times a day - it does get boring and monotonous. My dad is super high risk (kidney recipient), and although he is in Florida, they are planning on coming up this way soon, so we are extra careful.

Some things we have done to help fend off the blues

1) Neighbor happy hour in neighbor's driveway. Their kids drew circles that were all 10 feet apart from one another. A few couples joined us and we all hung in our circle with a fire pit in the middle. 

2) Zoom happy hours with friends all over the country, as well as other ones with just local friends. Have done this with wife, and also solo. Have slipped in a few poker games as well with friends while on Zoom

3) Had a couple and their kids over on Wednesday for an acceptably distanced dinner. Justy some pizza and beer. But man, it was good to see faces. My buddy has MS, so he is super careful. This was the first time we have gathered in person with friends and it felt good to not be talking over video.

4) Gone for a few bike rides and walks with friends

That's about it though. And it is a constant struggle, as  the weather turns, to not do more things (mountain biking with friends, canoeing and fishing, etc.).

So...any suggestions? Anyone doing something super fun and social while maintaining distance?

I've done quite a few Zoom happy hours. My local group of friends mostly meet at out local pub and that pub has been live streaming the musicians who usually play live music there on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, so I've watched a lot of those streams and on the Saturday night ones we've all been on Zoom drinking.

This Saturday we're switching it up and doing a Trivia night.

With my wife's friend group, we've been playing "Drawful" over discord once every couple weeks. 

I'm playing lots of FBG poker and a bunch of my friends are on the 3D euchre apps. Playing cards gives a feeling of socializing/normalcy.

And I have seen a couple friends outside and distanced for a backyard beer but the weather hasn't co-operated for that up here much.

Yesterday I went for a run on our local trail (which is open with social distancing in place) and I had a city truck follow me the whole way up the trail about 20 feet back. Never caught up to me, I moved over a few times and he wouldn't pass me. I don't know if that was his passive way of saying I shouldn't be out running but it was creepy.

I'm in a relatively low risk area - there have been 60 total cases here, 20 active, 1 death and over 60% in seniors residences. In the province in general, cases have peaked and ICU beds are plentiful (to the point that elective surgeries are being reinstated) so, while I know we can't just go back to normal tomorrow, I am ready for some easing of restrictions here soon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done quite a few Zoom happy hours. My local group of friends mostly meet at out local pub and that pub has been live streaming the musicians who usually play live music there on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, so I've watched a lot of those streams and on the Saturday night ones we've all been on Zoom drinking.

This Saturday we're switching it up and doing a Trivia night.

With my wife's friend group, we've been playing "Drawful" over discord once every couple weeks. 

I'm playing lots of FBG poker and a bunch of my friends are on the 3D euchre apps. Playing cards gives a feeling of socializing/normalcy.

And I have seen a couple friends outside and distanced for a backyard beer but the weather hasn't co-operated for that up here much.

Yesterday I went for a run on our local trail (which is open with social distancing in place) and I had a city truck follow me the whole way up the trail about 20 feet back. Never caught up to me, I moved over a few times and he wouldn't pass me. I don't know if that was his passive way of saying I shouldn't be out running but it was creepy.

I'm in a relatively low risk area - there have been 60 total cases here, 20 active, 1 death and over 60% in seniors residences. In the province in general, cases have peaked and ICU beds are plentiful (to the point that elective surgeries are being reinstated) so, while I know we can't just go back to normal tomorrow, I am ready for some easing of restrictions here soon. 
i could not figure out drawful. is it good?

There are four couples in our town we regularly hang out with. I like to cook, while all of the other dudes in the group are useless in the kitchen. Last Saturday I went to the store and bought all the ingredients for each couple to make dinner (cod & scallops with green beans and tomato herb butter sauce), then portioned them out, bagged them up and delivered them to each house Blue Apron-style. Threw some edibles in each bag as well. We had dual Zoom meetings going that night, one for the ladies to socialize and the other where I walked the guys through how to cook dinner. It came out great and was tons of fun, and my stock with the female townsfolk has never been higher.

I also made a street craps board on my ping pong table and have hosted games with several groups of friends via Zoom. Also good times.

There are four couples in our town we regularly hang out with. I like to cook, while all of the other dudes in the group are useless in the kitchen. Last Saturday I went to the store and bought all the ingredients for each couple to make dinner (cod & scallops with green beans and tomato herb butter sauce), then portioned them out, bagged them up and delivered them to each house Blue Apron-style. Threw some edibles in each bag as well. We had dual Zoom meetings going that night, one for the ladies to socialize and the other where I walked the guys through how to cook dinner. It came out great and was tons of fun, and my stock with the female townsfolk has never been higher.

I also made a street craps board on my ping pong table and have hosted games with several groups of friends via Zoom. Also good times.
very cool. weve been thinking of that blue apron type thing too

Sat in our backyard last week with some neighbors.  They pulled up their chairs and cooler, we pulled up ours.  We stayed 10-12 feet apart, put some music on and it was almost normal as well all got blasted.

i could not figure out drawful. is it good?
It's better with 6-8 people IMO. We played one time with 4 when one couple couldn't get their kids to bed and everyone played it pretty straight and could more easily guess who drew what. WIth more people, you get more people throwing out funny and/or red herring answers, it's more difficult to guess because there are more possibilities and just generally a more fun game. It essentially has two winners at the end "most points" and "most likes", so if you have people trying to win for both it's a better game as well. We've used a computer to stream it/view it and our phones to draw/answer on and that works well.

It's better with 6-8 people IMO. We played one time with 4 when one couple couldn't get their kids to bed and everyone played it pretty straight and could more easily guess who drew what. WIth more people, you get more people throwing out funny and/or red herring answers, it's more difficult to guess because there are more possibilities and just generally a more fun game. It essentially has two winners at the end "most points" and "most likes", so if you have people trying to win for both it's a better game as well. We've used a computer to stream it/view it and our phones to draw/answer on and that works well.
hmm okay

I hosted the game on Nintendo switch - sent out the invites. people joined on the phones but were all confused - we were blasted too so that might be why :shrug:

ive heard its fun, the game was only .09 cents - tried finding some games on reddit but no luck

Nigel said:

This is awesome. Well done!!

i am meeting my fishing buddy on Sunday, we are going to fish a canal. He will be on one side and I will be on the other. It is about 10-15 feet across, easy enough to carry on a conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played FBG FFA poker the past 3 Friday nights, contemplating doing it tonight with the NFL draft on in the background.

Aside from that, nothing.  I am a VERY social person and am starting to go a little crazy.  

the moops said:
Curious what others are doing to fend off feeling lonely and what not. My family is me, wife, 6 year old boy, 8 year old boy, 2 year old dog, 4 new baby chicks (the chicken variety)

We live on a lake in the twin cities. We moved here over the winter, so it has been a challenging time for two reasons. 1) it is cold as #### here in the winter so we barely got to see/know any of our neighbors, and 2) there is now a pandemic and we barely get to see/know our neighbors. The reason we moved here is because of the neighborhood. We collectively own this little island on the lake which has canoes, kayaks, playground, basketball hoop, boat ramp, dock, soccer net, etc. We still get to enjoy it, but just as a family, and not with neighbors.

We have been sheltered in place for the duration. I have made grocery store runs, and a couple hardware store runs. Wife hasn't left the house besides for walks, runs, bike rides, etc. Kids the same. And although the weather has turned nice, and we get out several times a day - it does get boring and monotonous. My dad is super high risk (kidney recipient), and although he is in Florida, they are planning on coming up this way soon, so we are extra careful.

Some things we have done to help fend off the blues

1) Neighbor happy hour in neighbor's driveway. Their kids drew circles that were all 10 feet apart from one another. A few couples joined us and we all hung in our circle with a fire pit in the middle. 

2) Zoom happy hours with friends all over the country, as well as other ones with just local friends. Have done this with wife, and also solo. Have slipped in a few poker games as well with friends while on Zoom

3) Had a couple and their kids over on Wednesday for an acceptably distanced dinner. Justy some pizza and beer. But man, it was good to see faces. My buddy has MS, so he is super careful. This was the first time we have gathered in person with friends and it felt good to not be talking over video.

4) Gone for a few bike rides and walks with friends

That's about it though. And it is a constant struggle, as  the weather turns, to not do more things (mountain biking with friends, canoeing and fishing, etc.).

So...any suggestions? Anyone doing something super fun and social while maintaining distance?
Watching all the classic 80s movies with our oldest. 

Poker games online with my buddies. 

happy hour by zoom with my college friends. 

sitting out back and smoking cigars/drinking/listening to music 

Users who are viewing this thread