What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solo Stove - Fire pit - etc (1 Viewer)

Costco one is $339

I have no experience with these at all, but though it probably won't distort, 304 stainless will discolor in heat, It turns a goldish-yellow color. Purple if it gets super hot, but I doubt a wood fire would be enough to get it there.

Reactions: KGB
Anyone Have a Solo Stove. Correct me if I'm wrong, they appear to be the "YETI" of fire pits.

Im interested in the Bonfire 2.0 $225 and the Mesa $79

From the research, Ive done, see to be a bit cheaper from thier website vs amazon.

Friend has the Mesa and its fun

Whats the costco price on this? I dont know my log in
Costco only has the Yukon for $340. I don't have one, but have seen that they really have a good rep.

I have the Bonfire and it’s awesome. It really is smokeless once you get the fire rolling. A few potential negatives though:

-doesn’t generate a ton of heat if you’re more than a few feet away. Best for cool to chilly nights. Not so great for cold.
-It is pretty light weight which is great if you want to move it around. But as a permanent feature in your yard results may vary. For example if your kids bump into it playing football they’ll knock it over. If you get the stand which helps with air flow it is even more precarious. Also depending on where you live someone can walk off with it pretty easily.
-it’s a little ugly. My wife hates it because she thinks it looks like a trash can.

But all in all, it’s a superior burn experience and great for smoke free hanging out. And it burns super super hot inside the pit so great for s’mores and such.

we have one. The only way my wife likes a fire in the backyard is because she hates smelling like smoke. we have a built-in fire pit and we just put the solo inside of it - works perfectly.

my only complaint is that it can collect rainwater. I have to store it upside down and flip it over before using, and that's kind of a pain. Eventually, I will build a lid for the fire pit.

we have one. The only way my wife likes a fire in the backyard is because she hates smelling like smoke. we have a built-in fire pit and we just put the solo inside of it - works perfectly.

my only complaint is that it can collect rainwater. I have to store it upside down and flip it over before using, and that's kind of a pain. Eventually, I will build a lid for the fire pit.

I have the white vinyl one but they make several newer ones in grey and black. They're on sale.

We have the Yukon. Its great. Really no downside except for maybe price. Best part is it burns so efficiently that there's not even a lot of ashes left over when its finished.

I’ve only used mine a couple of times but so far it’s great. Easy to get the fire going, and once it’s going good there is little smoke, which the wife really appreciates. I just store it in the garage and pull it out when I want to drink beer and stare at nothing.

These things look cool but I love my homemade fire pit and like the primitive aspect of it. I could see getting one for tailgating, places where fire pit isn’t available or allowed or things like block parties in the neighborhood- but we seldom do any of that.

I "built" one for beach bonfires. The building process required buying a broken large frontload washing machine with a stainless drum on Craigslist for $25, then taking out some aggression on it with a crowbar, mallet, and some wrenches to extract the drum. Whal-a. Redneck solo stove.

Wife and kids got me a (similar but made in PA) Breeo for Father's Day a few years back and we like it. Built solid and really cuts down on the smoke.

We have the Bonfire 2.0 (the ash tray feature is WILDLY necessary vs the 1.0 without it IMO) and have only had it a few weeks and have already hosted fire nights in our little courtyard like 5 times. It's awesome. Easy to deal with after, the little weatherproof durable cover thing has already held up to a couple thunderstorms, etc. Really pleased.

This is why we got one and so worth it

FWIW they sell a lid.

This is why we got one and so worth it

FWIW they sell a lid.
Same. The wife loves it.

We have one that my wife bought. Only used it a handful of times as we don't have much of a backyard and fires are actually illegal where I live (I could get a ticket) but it works pretty well and really limits smoke. That said I probably wouldn't have bought it since my neighborhood is not really conducive for fire pits.

I've never been impressed with the Solo. The lack of smoke is nice, but the thing puts off very little heat and you still have to deal with wood and ash. We bought a propane fire pit instead.

I've never been impressed with the Solo. The lack of smoke is nice, but the thing puts off very little heat and you still have to deal with wood and ash. We bought a propane fire pit instead.
Annoying that it's another add-on, but in the 2.0 version, they've addressed this and you can get a "reflector" that disperses the heat outward. Kinda cool.

For us the optionality is a feature, because we can do a cool fire pit thing when it's still a bit warm (we're in TX) and then you can use the deflector thing to send the heat outward when it's chillier.

Annoying that it's another add-on, but in the 2.0 version, they've addressed this and you can get a "reflector" that disperses the heat outward. Kinda cool.

For us the optionality is a feature, because we can do a cool fire pit thing when it's still a bit warm (we're in TX) and then you can use the deflector thing to send the heat outward when it's chillier.

So the reflector works well? Was considering adding that.

Agree on the wood. We have fireplaces so we get two cords every fall but it’s not cheap and you have to stack it.

Ashes aren’t really a factor. I’ve never had to dump mine out. There’s almost nothing left when it’s done.

Propane is cool but it’s not nearly as fun to look at. I can’t count how many hours we’ve spent drinking and smoking just staring into the flames for long stretches.

So the reflector works well? Was considering adding that.
Just watched some reviews. Looks like it does work. Pushes heat further out and lower to the ground.

Negatives seem to be that it will produce a tiny bit more smoke, the bottom of the reflector (obviously) gets incredibly sooty.

For me the deal breaker is the small gap between the reflector and the stove making it difficult to use thick or slightly longer wood because it won’t fit between the opening. We tend to burn a fair amount of wood from downed trees and even some the cut wood we get from the nursery is a little too big for the Yukon we have.

In our experience, ours gets more than hot enough even on the coldest nights. If it’s cold we just move closer. If it’s so cold that we can’t stay warm by a raging fire then we go inside.

Agree on the wood. We have fireplaces so we get two cords every fall but it’s not cheap and you have to stack it.

Ashes aren’t really a factor. I’ve never had to dump mine out. There’s almost nothing left when it’s done.

Propane is cool but it’s not nearly as fun to look at. I can’t count how many hours we’ve spent drinking and smoking just staring into the flames for long stretches.
Good thing you popped for the smokeless fire pit.:biggrin:

Anyone have the Pi Pizza Oven? I already have a man's firepit. Smoke and all. Was thinking about adding a pizza oven to my outdoor kitchen, but a non-permanent option may be more enjoyable.

I have the Bonfire and really like it. Went with the midsize so we could travel with it too. I think it works as advertised as long as you don't throw wood in with wet bark (or any bark really). Minimal ash, shop vac sucks it right out if there is anything left. Actually looking at getting the Pi Fire pizza cooker add-on. I really like Solo Stove for smaller gatherings or just wanting to sit on the upstairs deck (have the wood deck base to go with it) instead of using the larger fire pit.

Last edited:
We have the Ranger, which is/was the smallest version a couple years ago. I went with that size, so it would be more portable for camping, which it is. I love everything about it except that standard sized wood pieces (the kind you buy at stores) are too long and don't fit properly. In order to get them to fit inside, which is needed to limit the smoke, I need to cut them in half lengthwise, which is way more a pain than splitting them with an ax vertically. I have a Ryobi saw to do it, but it's still annoying. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the Bonfire (midsize) which doesn't have this issue.

I've heard the largest size (Yukon) is great if you have big groups, but otherwise burns way more wood than the Bonfire and is a pain to travel with. Seems like a Goldilocks sich where you go with the middle for best overall experience.

Get a Solo Stove. You'll be happy with it IMO. Sitting close solves the heat radiation issue, and the very limited smoke allows you to do so without smelling like a chimney afterward. Also highly recommend ponying for the top screen cover accessory to deflect popping embers. That thing is a must when you sit close!

Enjoy.

Ordered the Heat Deflector and the cooking Hub accessories after posting in this thread the other night. Excited to test them out once they arrive. Let you know once I get the chance to do so. Solo Stove prices are rough, even with the current yr-end discounts, but I've found their products durable and very enjoyable thus far, which takes the bite away at least a bit. Looking forward to seeing how this thing works as a grill!

We have the Ranger, which is/was the smallest version a couple years ago. I went with that size, so it would be more portable for camping, which it is. I love everything about it except that standard sized wood pieces (the kind you buy at stores) are too long and don't fit properly. In order to get them to fit inside, which is needed to limit the smoke, I need to cut them in half lengthwise, which is way more a pain than splitting them with an ax vertically. I have a Ryobi saw to do it, but it's still annoying. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the Bonfire (midsize) which doesn't have this issue.

I've heard the largest size (Yukon) is great if you have big groups, but otherwise burns way more wood than the Bonfire and is a pain to travel with. Seems like a Goldilocks sich where you go with the middle for best overall experience.

Get a Solo Stove. You'll be happy with it IMO. Sitting close solves the heat radiation issue, and the very limited smoke allows you to do so without smelling like a chimney afterward. Also highly recommend ponying for the top screen cover accessory to deflect popping embers. That thing is a must when you sit close!

Enjoy.
I actually want the BONFIRE but costco only has the big boy. Im def getting the heat deflector though. good post about the log size! thank you because I was considering the small one

Cheaper alternative??

Limited-time deal: EAST OAK Pan Stove 21 Inch Fire Pit, Smokeless Fire Pits for Outside Wood Burning Portable Stainless Steel Outdoor Firepit with Fire Poker & Stand Bonfire Pit for Patio and Backyard, Chisel Steel https://a.co/d/ba2LLSV

Cheaper alternative??

Limited-time deal: EAST OAK Pan Stove 21 Inch Fire Pit, Smokeless Fire Pits for Outside Wood Burning Portable Stainless Steel Outdoor Firepit with Fire Poker & Stand Bonfire Pit for Patio and Backyard, Chisel Steel https://a.co/d/ba2LLSV
im actually thinkiing of this. about $300 total I think.

My friend has one and 20 people can stay warm

I feel like these are just a trend and no one will be buying them a decade from now. Personally, I like to see the fire, it's half the point of having one.

Have had the Solo Bonfire for about 5 years now. Would buy again based on what has been said in this thread - portable, burns real well and leaves little to no ash. Easy to clean too - next morning just turn upside down and empty ash into a garbage bag.

My only complaint - should have gotten the bigger Yukon version. Wood comes delivered & cut at roughly 16” in length. Can’t lay pieces flat at this length in the Bonfire but you can in the Yukon.

Enjoy.
I don't have one but this second part is my hesitation. Every review I've read or video of them I've seen always mentions that they go through wood like crazy. Which is great for keeping warm I guess, but I'm in the south where it's not really ever THAT cold, I'm sitting around a fire pit for effect mostly, maybe cooking hot dogs/smores and otherwise just hanging out drinking.

I've got a 3' square pit I bought for $100 at Home Depot a few years ago and it does ok, but it's already starting to rust through the bottom so will need to be replaced soon. Wife is begging me to get a Solo because she hates the smoke, but I hate the idea of cutting a ton of freaking wood.

Enjoy.
I don't have one but this second part is my hesitation. Every review I've read or video of them I've seen always mentions that they go through wood like crazy. Which is great for keeping warm I guess, but I'm in the south where it's not really ever THAT cold, I'm sitting around a fire pit for effect mostly, maybe cooking hot dogs/smores and otherwise just hanging out drinking.

I've got a 3' square pit I bought for $100 at Home Depot a few years ago and it does ok, but it's already starting to rust through the bottom so will need to be replaced soon. Wife is begging me to get a Solo because she hates the smoke, but I hate the idea of cutting a ton of freaking wood.

Yukon is huge, and burns through wood like crazy. Ranger is a bit too small in that standard wood pieces don't fit, so don't get that one if you don't like cutting wood. Bonfire is like Goldilocks' porridge. Big enough for standard wood, but not too big. And they have it for sale at Costco now.

Enjoy.

Yukon is huge, and burns through wood like crazy. Ranger is a bit too small in that standard wood pieces don't fit, so don't get that one if you don't like cutting wood. Bonfire is like Goldilocks' porridge. Big enough for standard wood, but not too big. And they have it for sale at Costco now.
Believe the Yukon is the only size available at Costco.

Enjoy.

Can't speak for every warehouse, but they've had the Bonfire at ours for at least a month now.

Enjoy.

Can't speak for every warehouse, but they've had the Bonfire at ours for at least a month now.
interesting ill go back even online only showing Yukon. Cost?

Enjoy.

interesting ill go back even online only showing Yukon. Cost?

Can't recall off the top, but I want to say it was $340, as a package that included the stand for sure and maybe one or more other accessories in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread