What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL 1 Teams and commentary (1 Viewer)

Love the Carter pick. I probably should have taken him instead of Meachem, but for some reason I really think the kid is going to do great things this year.

QB: Donovan McNabb (5) Alex Smith (6)

RB: Shaun Alexander (8) Caddy (10) Ricky Williams (9)

WR: Terrell Owens (8) Calvin Johnson (6) Bernard Berrian (9) Michael Clayton (10) Robert Meachem (4) Marty Booker (9)

TE: LJ Smith (5)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the Carter pick. I probably should have taken him instead of Meachem, but for some reason I really think the kid is going to do great things this year.QB: Donovan McNabb (5) Alex Smith (6)RB: Shaun Alexander (8) Caddy (10) Ricky Williams (9)WR: Terrell Owens (8) Calvin Johnson (6) Bernard Berrian (9) Michael Clayton (10) Robert Meachem (4) Marty Booker (9)TE: LJ Smith (5)
I think you could use another WR :goodposting: But seriously folks...QB: So long as McNabb is healthy, you're in good shape there. No reason to believe otherwise.RB: I don't know anything about the status of Williams. Now we're hearing that Alexander still has foot problems. Jury still out. Appears to be a solid two, though.WR: TO and enough guys to throw against the wall that a couple are bound to stick week in and week out.TE: LJ is fine. Anyone you get at this point likely won't contribute much anyway, so LJ's health is important.

rzrback77...agreed that there are no real holes on your team. Still, even with the possible upside of Big Ben and Shaub, that is not exactly a duo that strikes fear into other teams ;)

I understand that you have to pick your poison, though.
If I can keep both of these guys on the field and possibly get top ten league QB scoring, then I will be happy. Definitely won't win the league on the QB scoring, but just need to stay afloat.How about Street Sense yesterday. Looked very good AND came from waaaaaaay back. Sounds like a possible winner at Belmont, if he can come through at the Preakness, it'll give you a nice race to look forward to.
A buddy of mine from work and I toss in a few bucks every year and play the Triple Crown races---we caught the winning exacta and triple Saturday, good for ~$550 on $50ea investment...go figure!
I just caught this payday. Nice job! Did you actually handicap or just pick the three favorites? In a race as big as the Derby, even the favorites can pay off.

My team:

QB: Brees(4) & Grossman(9)

I liked Brees a tad better because of the early bye week. I knew he would provide fewer bye week conflicts with my RB/WR's. I also like Bulger and Brady. Grossman should be a solid QB2.

RB: Parker(6), Jordan(5) & Jackson(7)

If Jackson gets significant touches then I really like this group. Jordan should do well in this format with a new QB dumping off to him alot I hope.

WR: Holt(9), Curtis(5), Toomer(9), Jurevicious(7) & Engram(8)

Holt is gold. Curtis is somewhat unknown but I know Philly was hot to get him so I think he'll be a main player. BTW-I like him much better than Brown. I also feel Engram will perform as well or better than Hackett. I'm probably alone on that but Matt loves this guy. Jury and Toomer can provide some meaning games so I feel very comfortable with this group and the bye weeks.

TE: Gonzo(8)

Nuff said.

D/ST: New England(10)

I was hoping for Balt but ravnzfan beat me to it. But if you can't have Balt or Chicago then NE is a nice catch too. They always play solid and create TO's. Again, no other main player off week 10 so if I make it that far week 10 should be no issue.

This is my best draft as far as bye weeks go. For the record I find the 9 spot undersireable this year. I feel the 7/8 spot is where the best value is because you can get a top 5 RB (Addai) and still find a good RB2 or top flight TE.

This team will hang around through the byes. How far it goes will simply depend on Brees, Jackson and Curtis. If they do well then I can challenge. If not I'm dead meat after week 10.

My 2007 edition SSL squad thus far, lets see if I can finish top 2 for the 4th straight year with this group (not gonna be easy)...

QB Brett Favre (6.15, b7), David Garrard (12.15, b4)

My biggest Weekness, but I like Garrard to overtake Lefty yet again, and Brett continues to be underrated year in and year out, I'll be OK at the QB position, good enough for this type pof league at least.

RB Frank Gore (1.02, b6), Marshawn Lynch (4.15, b6), Warrick Dunn (5.02, b8), Anthony Thomas (11.02, b6)

RB is one of my strengths. Week 6 bye is gonna suck, but otherwise I really like this group for PPR/Top performers start leagues such as this.

WR Anquan Boldin (2.15, b8), Randy Moss (3.02, b10), Devery Henderson (8.15, b4), Reggie Williams (9.02, b4), Rod Smith (13.02, b6), Devin Hester (18.15, b9)

Very strong at WR 1 and 2, and should have a nice WR 3 among Devery, Reggie and the aging vet Rod, all of whom are capable for big days, which are again perfect for this format. edit added Hester to an already strong group. His explosiveness should compliment the others well.

TE Ben Watson (7.02, b10), Daniel Graham (10.15 b6)

Another strength, I like this TE combo, and they both came relatively cheap.

K Josh Brown (14.15, b8), Joe Nedney (17.02, b6)

They're just kickers right? Maybe, but I like both, they come from good offenses and will get plenty of opportunities to produce points week in and week out. Nedney was a solid K last year, but completely overlooked in most leagues.

DT Minnesota Vikings (15.02, b5), New Orleans Saints (16.15, b4)

Defenses are a crap shoot, that said, I look for defenses with opportunites to make plays that are in relatively weak divisions where the opposing teams turn the ball over a lot. I think both the NFC Central and South fit the bill there.

[hijack]

Chaz said:
rzrback77...agreed that there are no real holes on your team. Still, even with the possible upside of Big Ben and Shaub, that is not exactly a duo that strikes fear into other teams :hifive:

I understand that you have to pick your poison, though.
If I can keep both of these guys on the field and possibly get top ten league QB scoring, then I will be happy. Definitely won't win the league on the QB scoring, but just need to stay afloat.How about Street Sense yesterday. Looked very good AND came from waaaaaaay back. Sounds like a possible winner at Belmont, if he can come through at the Preakness, it'll give you a nice race to look forward to.
A buddy of mine from work and I toss in a few bucks every year and play the Triple Crown races---we caught the winning exacta and triple Saturday, good for ~$550 on $50ea investment...go figure!
I just caught this payday. Nice job! Did you actually handicap or just pick the three favorites? In a race as big as the Derby, even the favorites can pay off.
:headbang: my buddy and I toss a half-a-hunski each into the pot and make the selections out of the paper, off comments by the racing "gurus"

we centered our bets around the 2&7, plus I liked the 8 due to the rider being from my home town of Ellicott City, MD and Hard Spun worn same number as Barbaro---not exactly hard science, but it makes watching the race fun...here's what we did:

$2 Ex boxes...2w/7-8-12-15 and 7w/2-8-12-15...@$16 ea=$32

$2 Triple keys the same way...@$24=$48

$10 W/P on Hard Spun

so we collected off all 3 bets--the 7-8 paid ~$101.00 and the triple 7-8-2 paid $440.00

I think the $10P ticket on Hard Spun was worth ~$40

all toll, we split about 500-550 bucks!

we'll pool $50 the same way in the Preakness, and I'll toss a $50 spot on the nose of some hag, although Street Sence is going to be tough to beat...he couldn't have had an easier trip, riding the rail the whole way

[/hijack]

My 2007 edition SSL squad thus far, lets see if I can finish top 2 for the 4th straight year with this group (not gonna be easy)...

My biggest Weekness, but I like Garrard to overtake Lefty yet again, and Brett continues to be underrated year in and year out, I'll be OK at the QB position, good enough for this type pof league at least.

RB Frank Gore (1.02, b6), Marshawn Lynch (4.15, b6), Warrick Dunn (5.02, b8), Anthony Thomas (11.02, b6)

RB is one of my strengths. Week 6 bye is gonna suck, but otherwise I really like this group for PPR/Top performers start leagues such as this.

WR Anquan Boldin (2.15, b8), Randy Moss (3.02, b10), Devery Henderson (8.15, b4), Reggie Williams (9.02, b4), Rod Smith (13.02, b6)

Very strong at WR 1 and 2, and should have a nice WR 3 among Devery, Reggie and the aging vet Rod, all of whom are capable for big days, which are again perfect for this format.

K

yet to come

DT

yet to come
Far be it from me to critical of someone with the SSL pedigree of Preds, but I'll toss some thoughts out there :D :QB could be a big problem if Favre has one of his stinkers and Garrard is not (yet) starting.

I wouldn't go so far as to call RB a "strength." Most teams have one top RB and a couple of other guys who can produce as an RB2, depending on the week. Nothing wrong with this group, just nothing that sets it apart.

WR looks strong compared to other teams. A couple of "ifs" in there, but if even one of them pans out to go along with Boldin, you're set.

A couple of solid, unspectacular guys to play TE. Probably the same as using an earlier pick on one of the better producing guys.

I want to mention one thing...we are approaching the point where we analyze the complete rosters. Do everyone a favor and analyze OTHER teams besides your own. By all means do your own team, but it's no fun if everyone just looks for comments on themselves, without offering anything else. if everyone did just -2 teams/day this thread will be really fun to read. Just my .02 :confused:

I want to mention one thing...we are approaching the point where we analyze the complete rosters. Do everyone a favor and analyze OTHER teams besides your own. By all means do your own team, but it's no fun if everyone just looks for comments on themselves, without offering anything else. if everyone did just -2 teams/day this thread will be really fun to read. Just my .02 :lmao:
I was thinking about this and maybe we should set up the leagues where you analyze the corresponding team/pick from another draft - Say, the guy who picked 10 in SS1 analyzes the 10 pick in SSL2 and so on.This way you get to compare it to what you did at the same spot.... Say one guy goes RB RB WR and another takes the QB or TE early - You can compare the results and possible Value tweaks.And It might be nice for a fresh face to look at the draft.Just a thought :lmao:

Love the Carter pick. I probably should have taken him instead of Meachem, but for some reason I really think the kid is going to do great things this year.QB: Donovan McNabb (5) Alex Smith (6)RB: Shaun Alexander (8) Caddy (10) Ricky Williams (9)WR: Terrell Owens (8) Calvin Johnson (6) Bernard Berrian (9) Michael Clayton (10) Robert Meachem (4) Marty Booker (9)TE: LJ Smith (5)
i think you are in trouble here with all of the injury/personality/rookie risks. you dont really have any players that are consistent anchors.

I want to mention one thing...we are approaching the point where we analyze the complete rosters. Do everyone a favor and analyze OTHER teams besides your own. By all means do your own team, but it's no fun if everyone just looks for comments on themselves, without offering anything else. if everyone did just -2 teams/day this thread will be really fun to read. Just my .02 :lmao:
I was thinking about this and maybe we should set up the leagues where you analyze the corresponding team/pick from another draft - Say, the guy who picked 10 in SS1 analyzes the 10 pick in SSL2 and so on.This way you get to compare it to what you did at the same spot.... Say one guy goes RB RB WR and another takes the QB or TE early - You can compare the results and possible Value tweaks.And It might be nice for a fresh face to look at the draft.Just a thought :wub:
i like it :(

SSL1 - 15th pick

QB- Kitna (6),Lefty (4)

RB- Edge (8), Jacobs (9), Droughns (9), Najeh (6)

WR- Hines (6), Stallworth (10), Kennison (8), Williamson (5),D.Carter(7), Baskett(5),BMW (5)

TE- Gates (7)

K- Rackers (8), Ted Nugent (10)

D- Pitt(6), Jax(4)

DONE!!!

SSL1 - 15th pick

QB- Kitna (6),Lefty (4)

WR- Hines (6), Stallworth (10), Kennison (8), Williamson (5),D.Carter(7), Baskett(5),BMW (5)

TE- Gates (7)

D- Pitt(6), Jax(4)

DONE!!!
Self critic:QB - Kitna (6),Lefty (4)

Jon Kitna should be solid all year, with a new weapon like CJ2 and Roy and a horrible D I think he puts up top 5/7 numbers. Grabbing him at QB10 = value. Lefty should hold onto his gig and I got him very late. We'll if this is the year he finally gets it

Grade: B+ - Id like a better backup.

RB - Edge (8), Jacobs (9), Droughns (9), Najeh (6)

Edge is rebounding people, take him in round2 in all your leagues. Jacbos/Droughns should cover a majority of the NYG RB points, I was lucky to snag both, unlike PDSL I only got Jacobs. Najeh stinks, :shrug: , but I needed a RB4 and he went in like round 7 of SSL4, so I got huge value.

Grade: B - no true studs anymore, but I'll have solid points here week in week out.

I like Hines/Stallworth and Kennison always seems undervalued. Two nice upside guys with Williamson & Carter. Im not a Baskett or BMW fan but they just add depth. Week 5 looks like I'll only have 4 WR going, but my top 3 will be playing that week, plus the rest of team has no issues with week 5, Should be fine.

Overall - C+ - Good depth but no "studs". Middle of the road but should throw enough points to survive awhile

TE - Gates - A+ - 'Nuff Said

K- Rackers (8), Ted Nugent (10) D- Pitt(6), Jax(4) This group looks as solid as any.

Overall - I think Im set for a nice run in this league and stay in SSL1 for next year, Gates,Kitna, solid RBs, more than enough good WR's .

ConstruxBoy Self Analysis

"Strategy" - Take good value, don't worry about position, don't worry about Bye week

QB: C Palmer CIN(5), J Delhomme CAR(7)

I like both of these guys and think this is a strong point for me. Palmer could end up being top 2 or 3 in the league and I expect Delhomme to bounce back a little bit in the new offense.

RB: B Westbrook PHI(5), C Taylor MIN(5), J Norwood ATL(8) A Peterson CHI(9)

I like this group a lot, especially since this is a PPR league. Westbrook should be solid. I know everyone is excited about AD, but I really think that Taylor is going to share the load there this season. I feel confident he'll also get the bulk of the receptions. Norwood was a steal where I got him. He may evolve into more than a change of pace guy this year. I know that Wolfe is getting some hype in Chitown, but I'm a big Peterson fan and I'm not sure Benson will step up this year.

WR: M Harrison IND(6), S Holmes PIT(6), B Marshall DEN(6), D Williams BAL(8), P Crayton DAL(8),

S Smith NYG(9)

My weak spot. Harrison is solid, but the other 5 are all young guys that may or may not take that next step this year. Obviously I think all 5 can, but it's certainly risky. Holmes should get a number of looks opposite Ward, I rEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEally hope Marshall continues his ascension, Williams is underrated, Crayton may become a solid #3 and Smith is NFL-ready for the G-men.

TE: T Heap BAL(8), A Smith TB(10)

At 2 ppr, I wanted a solid TE and Heap is the man. I like Smith to continue his growth as a solid pass-catching TE.

PK: S Gostkowski NE(10), O Mare NO(4)

Two kickers on very good offenses, one young, one old.

DEF: Seattle (8), New York Giants (9)

Two middle of the road defenses.

Conclusion: I like my team a lot. I am weaker at WR than had I planned more for positions and weeks 5 and 6 are brutal for Bye issues, which I mostly ignored. But I did follow through on my strategy and get good value on almost every pick. Do we get points for that?

If I can survive weeks 5 and 6, especially 5, I think I can be in it until the end.

My team:

Pennington (10) -QB22

McNair (8) - QB23

LJohnson (8) - RB4

KJones (6) - RB30

White (4) - RB38

Duckett (6) - RB64

Driver (7) - WR9

Housh (5) - WR15

Hackett (6) - WR35

Keyshawn FA - WR60

Ginn (9) - WR75

Walter (10) - WR88

Shockey (9) - TE5

Baker (10) - TE21

Elam (6) - K11

Bironas (4) - K21

San Diego (7) - DST4

Philadelphia (5) - DST13

Comments to follow.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
BassNBrew said:
Is it just me or have there been an incredible number of reaches in this draft. I'm seeing guys go 6-8 rounds early.
I noticed this in SSL1 as well.PDSL and WSL were tighter drafts IMO.
I didn't really think so. Some went a little earlier than I thought but I wouldn't really consider them reaches...and if you're on the end, you may have to draft a guy you really like because he may not be there when you pick again. Maybe my memory is fading but the only one that really stood out was Turner. I'm curious to hear who you thought the reaches were.
I moved this here to not clog the SSL2 thread.Turner for sure, the guy who took Hass/Brady while not a reach was odd. Maybe "reaches" was the wrong word. cause I tell you what I always saw value on the board when I drafted, unlike the previous 2 survivors I did. In PDSL and WSL1 players I targetd/wanted were constantly getting grabbed 1-3 picks before mine. So Maybe not as many reaches as I thought, just not as "tight" of a draft as I had experienced so far this season.

I will analyze further and list some reach/curious picks.

BassNBrew said:
Is it just me or have there been an incredible number of reaches in this draft. I'm seeing guys go 6-8 rounds early.
I didn't really think so. Some went a little earlier than I thought but I wouldn't really consider them reaches...and if you're on the end, you may have to draft a guy you really like because he may not be there when you pick again. Maybe my memory is fading but the only one that really stood out was Turner. I'm curious to hear who you thought the reaches were.
I moved this here to not clog the SSL2 thread.

Turner for sure, the guy who took Hass/Brady while not a reach was odd. Maybe "reaches" was the wrong word. cause I tell you what I always saw value on the board when I drafted, unlike the previous 2 survivors I did. In PDSL and WSL1 players I targetd/wanted were constantly getting grabbed 1-3 picks before mine. So Maybe not as many reaches as I thought, just not as "tight" of a draft as I had experienced so far this season.

It definitely felt like guys were going way earlier in this draft then in the WSL\PDSL. I'll look at it more closely later

RB: Shaun Alexander (8), Caddy (4) Ricky Williams (9) Chris Brown (??)

WR: Terrell Owens (8), Calvin Johnson (6) Bernard Berrian (9) Michael Clayton (4) Robert Meachem (4) Marty Booker (9) Chris Henry (5)

TE: LJ Smith (5) Bo Scaife (4)

K: Martin Gramattica (8)

D: Jets (10) Browns (7)

I'll do a self analysis later. Off the top of my head it looks like a bit more risk then initially planned for, but you gotta make some risky picks to win these things.

Note to Ricky. Just stay off the bong until september. thanks.

Solid Duo - the Alex Smith secret is out, this is how it should be done with a stud like McNabb who is kinda injury prone

RB: Shaun Alexander (8), Caddy (4) Ricky Williams (9) Chris Brown (??)

I like the top 2 but you might only have 2 RB's all season, ricky suspended, and I havent herd anything on Chrissy Brown moving anywhere recently

WR: Terrell Owens (8), Calvin Johnson (6) Bernard Berrian (9) Michael Clayton (4) Robert Meachem (4) Marty Booker (9) Chris Henry (5)

TO is great, I expect Berrian to be #1wr in Chi and CJ will perform some. Henry for the 2nd half if you make it that far.

TE: LJ Smith (5) Bo Scaife (4)

Solid

K: Martin Gramattica (8)

Will he be there all year??? a very risky single K IMO.

D: Jets (10) Browns (7)

yuck, but it's D so what.

I'll do a self analysis later. Off the top of my head it looks like a bit more risk then initially planned for, but you gotta make some risky picks to win these things.

Note to Ricky. Just stay off the bong until september. thanks.

Studs - TO,SAlex and Dono, then alot of ???? on this team. Could be tough sledding after week 8 when the weak squads are gone

Re: Team Valence

I pretty much agree with BSS, with minor exceptions:

- Stating that D is D so who cares is not a philosophy I necessarily agree with. Some D's can be pretty productive and give a clear advantage weekly.

- At QB, things are pretty much ok. Like many teams, one good one and one with upside. Doesn't really stand out. "Fine" is a good description.

- WR Looks pretty strong to me. I'd call it one of the better groups in the league and an area where an advantage will be had regularly.

- One kicker is likely a tough hurdle. Not counting the obvious 0 for the bye week and injury's, there are bound to be a few low scoring games for any kicker.

Re: Team ValenceI pretty much agree with BSS, with minor exceptions:- Stating that D is D so who cares is not a philosophy I necessarily agree with. Some D's can be pretty productive and give a clear advantage weekly. - At QB, things are pretty much ok. Like many teams, one good one and one with upside. Doesn't really stand out. "Fine" is a good description.- WR Looks pretty strong to me. I'd call it one of the better groups in the league and an area where an advantage will be had regularly.- One kicker is likely a tough hurdle. Not counting the obvious 0 for the bye week and injury's, there are bound to be a few low scoring games for any kicker.
While NYJ/Cleve to me right now looks like a weak or bad combo, we really dont know. I dont think that he will have an advantage over anyone with this pair though. NYJ should be solid, can cleveland suck forever? I dunno.

WR Anquan Boldin (2.15, b8), Randy Moss (3.02, b10), Devery Henderson (8.15, b4), Reggie Williams (9.02, b4), Rod Smith (13.02, b6), Devin Hester (18.15, b9)

Very strong at WR 1 and 2, and should have a nice WR 3 among Devery, Reggie and the aging vet Rod, all of whom are capable for big days, which are again perfect for this format. edit added Hester to an already strong group. His explosiveness should compliment the others well.

K Josh Brown (14.15, b8), Joe Nedney (17.02, b6)

They're just kickers right? Maybe, but I like both, they come from good offenses and will get plenty of opportunities to produce points week in and week out. Nedney was a solid K last year, but completely overlooked in most leagues.

DT Minnesota Vikings (15.02, b5), New Orleans Saints (16.15, b4)

Defenses are a crap shoot, that said, I look for defenses with opportunites to make plays that are in relatively weak divisions where the opposing teams turn the ball over a lot. I think both the NFC Central and South fit the bill there.
Updated with my final roster (Hester at WR and my K's and D's). Overall, I only see QB as a weakness (possibly a major one), but love my skill position players at RB, WR and TE. Just need 1 more healthy year out of Brett (a tall order) and I'll be in great shape (the bye week doesn't worry me), otherwise, I'll go down within a week or 2 of losing Brett unless Garrard regains the starting gig in Jacksonville.

BassNBrew said:
I moved this here to not clog the SSL2 thread.Turner for sure, the guy who took Hass/Brady while not a reach was odd. Maybe "reaches" was the wrong word. cause I tell you what I always saw value on the board when I drafted, unlike the previous 2 survivors I did. In PDSL and WSL1 players I targetd/wanted were constantly getting grabbed 1-3 picks before mine. So Maybe not as many reaches as I thought, just not as "tight" of a draft as I had experienced so far this season.

I'm curious to hear who the OTHER reaches are as well :unsure: :angry:

As for Turner, a few things....

- His ADP in these SSL's turned out to be round 7. coming from round 3 in the pre draft leagues when there was a chance at moving teams.

- The guy who got him in round 10 got an absolute STEAL and that won't happen much in these.

- We debated this in the other thread but, I'm usually the guy who puts a much higher value on the top backup RB in a plug and play situation - And while others disagree, I think this is closer to the LJ / Holmes situation than others do (plug and play), and to me ANY NFL player is 1 hit or tweak away from watching the next guy..... The Holmes injury was a hit to the knee that could happen to Anyone and had nothing to do with the prior year - The guys who grabbed LJ that year in round 3 took a major gamble and won. To me, it's as simple as PLUG AND PLAY - and I'm convinced MT is a top 5 back if LT is out. And we're NOT talking round 3.

- I also think Turner should see a big increase in touches this year if the SD coaching staff knows what's good for them... Next year they may not have that option at all.... He's here, they paid a price to keep him, I'd be shocked if he wasn't a much bigger part of the offense. Norv has Mentioned Two back sets.

- I think the info that flows out of SSL1 has an effect on the other drafts and MT's ADP will creep up as the preseason unfolds - Word of ANY tweak on LT and he skyrockets. (well closer to 5 ; ) )

After all that - Analyzing my draft, as I'll do when I get a chance, I fully admit I could have and should have had more value at that spot the way things played out and I could have risked losing MT by waiting a round or 2...... Probably a TE there - But, as I felt at the time, I liked the TE's I could and did get later on, same deal at WR and still got Taylor in round 6.

Drafting from the 10 spot, in the 2nd round I went for the difference maker at QB in Manning which I rarely, if ever do, making me assemble my RB core a bit differently and I was happy to add Taylor to go with Turner.

- Oh and DON"T MAKE ME put a hex on Tomlinson :unsure:

Putting it out there. Comments and bashing welcome. I'll be sure to get to everyone's team as well.

QB: Brady(10) Hasselbeck(8)

RB: Maroney(10) MJD(4) D Foster(7) Buckhalter(5) Barlow(6)

WR: Chambers(9) Glenn(8) Lelie(6) Sinorice Moss(9) Q Morgan(6)

TE: Desmond Clark(9) Ben Troupe(4)

K: John Kasay(7) Rian Lindell(6)

D: Chicago(9) Denver(6)

A few of the moves that I made may appear questionable. That's nothing new to me (I took the first TWO kickers off the board last year in SSLII and carried three defenses the year before in SSLIII). I'll try to explain my motives.

My goal was to establish clear advantages in some areas, while (hopefully) not losing much in others. Did I succeed? Lets see:

QB: Clearly the class of the league, if I do say so myself. I may have needlessly overpaid, but the results are a clear, weekly advantage at QB.

RB: Carrying five is nice. None of them are certain to ride the pine weekly either. This means all five have a chance to be my scorers for that week. My top two compare to favorably to virtually anyone's (depending on how in love you are with LT). After that, my advantage should continue.

WR: Worst in the league. I'll be giving up points here weekly...to everyone. None of this grass is greener "upside" nonsense. This is a trouble area.

TE: Probably in the lower tier of teams. I don't know if it's the worst, but I wouldn't put it at middle of the pack either.

K: I would call em average.

D: I see a clear advantage weekly. Dismiss the D all you want. Fact is that some are better than others and that we count em.

So, my advantages are at QB, RB and D. Disadvantages at WR and TE. What does this all mean? How the heck do I know? This was fun and I look forward to it every year, whether I'm in SSIV or SSLI. :unsure:

Michael Turner and the Boyz:

Peyton Manning (6)

Damon Huard (8)

Rudi Johnson (5)

Fred Taylor ( 4)

M Turner (7)

M Bennett (8)

P Burress (9)

D Mason (8)

Braylon Edwards (7)

P Price (6)

Jerry Porter (5)

A Gonzalez (6)

David Martin (9)

Owen Daniels (10)

J Reed 6 / Janikowski 5

Oakland / Houston

As I stated above, I went a little different route than I normally do and went with Manning. My 1st tier RB's were dried up and my WR tier was full of question marks - At this point and closer to the season, I kinda see Terrel Owens distancing himself from the pack if he remains a good camper at WR and would have been my only alternative.

When drafting from the 10 spot you're trying to make up for not having that Scoring machine at RB from another spot and I felt Manning is one player who can do it as well as being a pretty low risk pick. After that it was all about getting depth at WR/RB.....

I think I wound up with great value and two real good sleepers at TE.. We discussed Martin, it sounds like the Fins feel he can do everything McMichael did and more.

Good wr value through out with decent depth....

I think this is a decent team from the 10 spot which I feel is one of the worst spots to draft from, with Turner being the only real question mark and tweak.....

I also considered going with 1 qb since it's not like this team will survive long WITHOUT Manning and it's not like Huard is even guaranteed anything this year.... We'll see though maybe he'll get some decent Bye week points and a surprise week or 2.

QB--Big Ben Roethlisberger (6) and Matt Schaub (10)

QB-17 at 7.11 and QB-25 at 9.11 represent excellent value. Steelers have a history of running the ball, but their passing game has quietly stepped up the past few years and this could escalate under the new coaching regime. Schaub is a nice back-up late.

RB--Portis(4), Benson(9), Julius Jones(8), and Wally Lundi (10)

Drafting at the bottom of these 16-teamers always presents the question of whether you decide to get as good as you can at RB or skip them altogether for WR strength. I went the RB route. I like the trio I have thus far. Portis (1.11) off an injury year should come back hungry. Benson (2.06) finally has the #1 role. Hope that he can mend fences and get his team's support during the off-season. J Jones (5.11) should/could be the continuing starter at Dallas and was gotten relatively late for support of my top two. If he continues to start and adds some TDs, it's gravy. I thought that Lundi added more as a last round flyer than an extra kicker or another WR.

WR--Lee Evans(6), Santana Moss(4), D Bennett(9), Jarrett(7), A Bryant (?), Bry Johnson (8) and Parrish (6)

Lee Evans WR-17 at 3.11 was another bargain. I was thrilled to grab him there. He is a big play guy who will score several huge games. Santana Moss WR-22 at 4.06 is another big play, big game guy that is great for these survivor leagues. Depth was hard to come by. I added Bennett, the new guy with the Rams, rookie Dwayne Jarrett, hopefully getting a Key role with the Panthers, A Bryant, Bryant Johnson and Parrish. All of these guys, except maybe Jarrett have home run capability and I like that in these survivors. With seven, hopefully they will brother-in-law often enough to score big for team rzrback.

TE--Chris Cooley(4) and Zach Miller ()

Cooley really came on at the end of 06 and I think that will continue this year. Another upside guy taken as TE-8 who I expect in the top five at 6.06. Added rookie Zach Miller who may have an opportunity in Oakland to produce sooner rather than later. He was cheap insurance for Cooley.

PK - David Akers (5) - Good kicker on good offense with early bye week. Don't see the need for two.

Defense - Packers (7) and Cardinals (8)

Nice depth and no glaring weaknesses is a sound strategy for survivors, especially drafting rather low when the stud RBs are mostly gone.

QB: Brady(10) Hasselbeck(8)QB: Clearly the class of the league, if I do say so myself. I may have needlessly overpaid, but the results are a clear, weekly advantage at QB.
I don't know about that..... Not sure if the Pats will ever throw enough or even be in enough shootouts to need to throw that much... Hasselback is coming off injury on a team who's offense has questions.Pretty good QB's but, nothing is clear.

I want to mention one thing...we are approaching the point where we analyze the complete rosters. Do everyone a favor and analyze OTHER teams besides your own. By all means do your own team, but it's no fun if everyone just looks for comments on themselves, without offering anything else. if everyone did just -2 teams/day this thread will be really fun to read. Just my .02 :thumbdown:
I was thinking about this and maybe we should set up the leagues where you analyze the corresponding team/pick from another draft - Say, the guy who picked 10 in SS1 analyzes the 10 pick in SSL2 and so on.
Great idea. I'd be happy to analyze Pimpin's draft whenever, though if people want a full comparison between the two drafts, I should probably wait until SSL2 is done. (Which will hopefully be sometime before Memorial Day...)

Team Ravnzfan:

QB

JPLosman (6)

JRussell (5)

I have 2 QB's, whose bye weeks don't conflict...I haven't seen early QB duo's win any of these things, but I've seen plenty of later value picks @QB have a positive impact on a squad---I'll always be in group B, as most guys overpay for QB1 and usually QB2 in these type drafts

RB

WMcGahee (8)

TBell (6)

Rhodes (5)

KFaulk (10)

SMorris (10)

I like McGahee to approach top 10 numbers :) , Bell and Rhodes to see plenty of action in RBBC and the Faulk/Morris duo to score a few weeks for me as I doubt maroney and his 2 bumb shoulders make 16 weeks as a primary RB1 in this league...I mean, he was signing autographs left handed last week! :)

WR

SSmith (7)

DJackson (6)

JCotchery (10)

Furrey (6)

Givens (4)

AREl (4)

Steve Smith is my WR1 this year, and was drafted as such--he led WR's in PPG last season, finishing 7th in this format missing games 1&2, plus getting 0 looks in a 7 pass performance late in the year...with him, I need production from 2 of DJax, Cotch and Furrey each week to post top end WR numbers...Givens and ARE need to post decent numbers during weeks 6/7, and can take the rest of the year off

TE

KW-II(7)

Steve Heiden(7)

no TE the week Steve Smith is off--this could be my Waterloo...I choose Heiden late over a scrub TE in case Winslow went down...Heiden posted over 100 FF points in this system last yr when KW had 285...I'll take the safety net for the yr over a bye week "maybe"

D

Balt (8)

Tenn (4)

I like a strong defense in these formats, as most teams "meh" the position...another top scoring unit to go w/WR&TE

K

Gould (9)

solo'd K, as week 9 (if I get that far) has no one else off that week

my approach is always alittle different than the masses, because 16 guys can not use the same strategy in these survivor games and compete

I like to have a strong top 3-4 WR's, a top flight TE and D, and a solid RB1

QBBC, RB2BC and decent bye week mgm't was my approach, which I felt was accomplished

:lmao: who knows, really, in May!

QB

Micheal Vick 8

Eli Manning 9

RB

Reggie Bush 4

Marion Barber III 8

Ron Dayne 10

LeonWashington 10

WR

Andre Johnson 10

Reggie Brown 5

Samie Parker 8

Brandon Stokley 6

Doug Gaberial 5

Vincent Jackson 7

Aundrea Allison 5

TE

Heath Miller 6

K

Lawrence Tynes 8

Jeff Wilkens 9

Def

Carolina 7

S.F. 6

QBs----the one year that i draft vick along comes this mess with the dogs, hope eli can rebound from a difficult season as it looks like i'll need him for a week or 2. B

RBs---if bush and barber stay healthy none better. just hope to get some points on the byes from washington and dayne. B

WRs----really like the top 2 of johnson and brown. between jackson parker and gaberial should get some quality points for WR3. sleeper of the draft is allison, don't be suprise if he steps in and plays now. B

TEs--- miller should be ok...saw some talk about people only taking 1 among TE,K,Def but in years past i've only taken 1 of these but it was not my down fall, poor production out of the QB,RB, WR is what got me. C

K--wilkens has at least 8 games inside ok by me. tynes should prove adequate filling in. B

D--carolina should rebound from a bad year and the 49ers are on the rise. B

barring injuries should go deep into the process.

as always really enjoyed the draft guys!!!!!!!!

Putting it out there. Comments and bashing welcome. I'll be sure to get to everyone's team as well.

QB: Brady(10) Hasselbeck(8)

Obviously a strength but I really think Hass is a wasted pick. You could have taken a 2nd tier TE here instead. This pick leaves too many points on the bench

RB: Maroney(10) MJD(4) D Foster(7) Buckhalter(5) Barlow(6)

I like this squad a lot minus Barlow. You should have used that pick on another WR. If Maroney stays healthy and Foster keeps his job you are fine. If one or both of those things happen you may be in trouble.

WR: Chambers(9) Glenn(8) Lelie(6) Sinorice Moss(9) Q Morgan(6)

Oi. only 5 WR's is a death sentence imo. Chambers has a penchant for putting up goose eggs some weeks. Glenn was a great pick. I don't see much out of Lelie or Moss. I reaaaallly don't get the QMorg pick. At best, he is WR4 on the Broncos. Does he even have 1 season over 500 yards? 1 decent year in Cleveland is all I can remember. I just feel there were better upside picks you could have made here.

TE: Desmond Clark(9) Ben Troupe(4)

Clark is a good pick. Troupe, not sure. I think Scaife gets the lion's share of the TE targets this season.

K: John Kasay(7) Rian Lindell(6)

ok.

D: Chicago(9) Denver(6)

Chicago is great obviously, but I'm betting you could have gotten them a round later. If Briggs and Tank are out then maybe not worth the #1 pick.

Overall I think you are done fairly early with that WR core.

Duke1948

QB

Micheal Vick 8

Eli Manning 9

RB

Reggie Bush 4

Marion Barber III 8

Ron Dayne 10

LeonWashington 10

WR

Andre Johnson 10

Reggie Brown 5

Samie Parker 8

Brandon Stokley 6

Doug Gaberial 5

Vincent Jackson 7

Aundrea Allison 5

TE

Heath Miller 6

K

Lawrence Tynes 8

Jeff Wilkens 9

Def

Carolina 7

S.F. 6

Don't have a ton of time, but will participate in the "rate a team" as much as I can....

QBs----Ordinarily like Vick and anbody as a partner in this format, but with a possible suspension, not so much, I do expect E Manning to rebound in 08, but Duke may need him more long term that just a support role

RBs---I am fearful that the Saints revert back to the mean and Reggie Bush may have difficulties meeting the expectations and ADP of this year. I also see Barber continuing RBBC and if so will not be able to match 07 numbers as his TDs were off the chart. Washington I liked before T Jones came, but now the best he can expect is 3rd downs and support. Dayne is still Dayne, a TD stealer at best.

WRs----I like the top 3 of A Johnson, R Brown and V Jackson, but after that, there's not much to like

TEs--- I am one of the biggest proponents of single kicker, but not TE, not with 2ppr and especially just Miller as the solo. A career of 39 and 34 catches in his two seasons. Possibly more this year, but how much more?

K--Wilkens and Tynes - Took two, but Mike Herman thinks Tynes may lose his job

D--Carolina and the 49ers are a respectable duo

Not my favorite team

Team Ravnzfan

QB

JPLosman (6)

JRussell (5)

He has 2 QB's, and the bye weeks don't conflict...but will Russell start from the get-go. Why did they trade for McCown? I also believe in teh wait on QB theory, but I like to get two sure starters and I'm not sure about the rookie.

RB

WMcGahee (8)

TBell (6)

Rhodes (5)

KFaulk (10)

SMorris (10)

I also like McGahee and think he got a bargain, I also expect Bell and Rhodes to see the field in RBBC and the Faulk/Morris duo could pitch in a few weeks, but he has invested four picks on support role players. If McGahee gets injured, its trouble city

WR

S Smith (7)

D Jackson (6)

J Cotchery (10)

Furrey (6)

Givens (4)

AR El (4)

I love the top three here. Steve Smith is an excellent WR1 in this format. He should also get solid scoring from Cotchery and DJax (if he's well), Furrey could be a bargain, but there are lots of WR mouths to feed at Detroit. I think counting on both Givens and ARE in a specific week is a pipe dream. Could have used some extra depth here

TE

KW-II(7)

Steve Heiden(7)

No TE the week Steve Smith is off is a definite ouch..I do like Heiden to cover the potential missing games of Winslow, but it really limits your scoring by having a "team TE". I doubt they both score as much as last year if KW is well

D

Balt (8)

Tenn (4)

Strong defense with Ravens and Titans

K

Gould (9) I like the solo kicker and Gould was solid last season

Good team, but probably not my favorite.

Team Reaper

Peyton Manning (6)

Damon Huard (8)

Love the QBs as P Manning is the stud of all studs for the survivor league. Waited till late to add a cover for the bye, good strategy

Rudi Johnson (5)

Fred Taylor ( 4)

M Turner (7)

M Bennett (8)

Not a fan of this RB collection at all. Normally Rudi Johnson is as steady as they come, but in PPR, he slips a bit. The OL of the Bengals is changing a little and the Bengals drafted a rather high rookie spells a slight drop. Taylor is getting older and should drop off from his rather nice 06 season. I just don't see any change for Turner and I don't like Bennett at all.

P Burress (9)

D Mason (8)

Braylon Edwards (7)

P Price (6)

Jerry Porter (5)

A Gonzalez (6)

Love the WRs up top and all through. Possible scorers almost all through the roster. Solid guys with Burress and Edwards. Mason is slipping some, but should still perform for a year or two. A Gonzalez is one of my favorite rookie WRs to score off the bat. Porter should rebound. P Price, not a big fan, but at sixth spot he's ok.

David Martin (9)

Owen Daniels (10)

Two bargain TEs that could both be value. I like the combo of these two and his WRs were better because he waited for the two TEs here.

J Reed 6 / Janikowski 5 Two PKs, neither my favorites, but adequate

Oakland / Houston - Two defenses that were poor performers last year, although the Raiders did improve toward the end of the year

Like this whole team, except for the RBs. If they meet Reaper's expectations then he should stay for a while

Team Ravnzfan

QB

JPLosman (6)

JRussell (5)

He has 2 QB's, and the bye weeks don't conflict...but will Russell start from the get-go. Why did they trade for McCown? I also believe in teh wait on QB theory, but I like to get two sure starters and I'm not sure about the rookie.

RB

WMcGahee (8)

TBell (6)

Rhodes (5)

KFaulk (10)

SMorris (10)

I also like McGahee and think he got a bargain, I also expect Bell and Rhodes to see the field in RBBC and the Faulk/Morris duo could pitch in a few weeks, but he has invested four picks on support role players. If McGahee gets injured, its trouble city

WR

S Smith (7)

D Jackson (6)

J Cotchery (10)

Furrey (6)

Givens (4)

AR El (4)

I love the top three here. Steve Smith is an excellent WR1 in this format. He should also get solid scoring from Cotchery and DJax (if he's well), Furrey could be a bargain, but there are lots of WR mouths to feed at Detroit. I think counting on both Givens and ARE in a specific week is a pipe dream. Could have used some extra depth here

Good team, but probably not my favorite.
on JRussell--I don't need him starting 16 weeks, just by week 6...see Vince Young and Matt Leinart last yr--this is not the Bengals that have a Jon Kitna running the show, putting a Carson Palmer in a golf visor and carrying a clip board for 16 gameswe're talking Al Davis, who will have his 32 yr old HC playing the #1 pick in the draft by Oct 1st

on McGahee getting hurt...if anyone's RB1 gets hurt, it's trouble city...good news for me is I don't have a 1st invested in said pick

on counting on both Givens and ARE in a specific week....it's either one, and it's week 6---when everyone is holding their breath

take a look at CBoy's WR's and tell me would you rather have my team or his, entering week 6!

it's impossible to draft 18 rounds w/16 guys that know what they're doing, and be strong from top to bottom and avoid bye week blues

I choose to minimize risk during bye weeks as much as possible, while fielding as strong a WR/TE/D(5 positions) as possible--you see, QB-RB only total 3 spots, and too many teams go gaga over RB3 and/or QB2 way too early

my teams always get poo-poo'd as "Ok, but not my favorite", yet I've done pretty well the last couple years, steadily advancing from SSL-IV to SSL-I, reaching semi's in WSL and winning SSL-IV (The Reunion) last yr

I expect the "meh" :lmao: when looking at my squads, that's to be expected

there will always be risky picks, like counting on Russell, but week 6 has several owners holding their breath, and I only have to beat one other guy to advance...I'll take my chances--I like this group alot

(thanx for the feedback---I see you're on your way to writing up all 16 teams, I guess..this one's on me! :no: )

ConstruxBoy

QB: C Palmer CIN(5), J Delhomme CAR(7) I like Palmer and that is a strong point for CB. Delhomme better bounce back or he'll be bounced out for Carr

RB: B Westbrook PHI(5), C Taylor MIN(5), J Norwood ATL(8) A Peterson CHI(9)

I agree wth CB, there are a lot of nice RBs that are used in the passing game. Westbrook will be solid as long as he is playing. I agree that Taylor could share a heavier load than is expected in 07. Norwood was one of my favorite rookie RBs last year as he comes from the twon where I live and I see a lot of SEC. He should at least share again in Atlanta. I also think that Peterson could see alot of playing time with a Benson breakdown, which is possible.

WR: M Harrison IND(6), S Holmes PIT(6), B Marshall DEN(6), D Williams BAL(8), P Crayton DAL(8),

S Smith NYG(9)

Definitely a weak spot, with one very solid old guy and a whole lot of youth coulda woulda maybe wills. I expect S Holmes of Pitt to lead this youth movement, but the rest may be a year or two away. I see a lot of sixes. I believe that this triple six bye week my give the CBoy a devil of a time, yes 666.

TE: T Heap BAL(8), A Smith TB(10) - I like Heap alot this year, bit A Smith may not be much help.

PK: S Gostkowski NE(10), O Mare NO(4) - Two kickers on very good offenses.

DEF: Seattle (8), New York Giants (9) - two middle of the road defenses.

Maybe Ravnzfan is right and he has a shot in week 6.

jeter23

QB- Young (4), TJackson(5), Croyle(8)

RB- Addai(6), APeterson (5). Green(10), MBush(5), Irons(5)

WR- Wayne(6), Bruce(9), Horn(8), BJones(4)

TE- VDavis(6), Olsen(9)

K- Kaeding(7), Hanson(6)

D- Dallas(8), Washington(4)

jeter23QB- Young (4), TJackson(5), Croyle(8)RB- Addai(6), APeterson (5). Green(10), MBush(5), Irons(5)WR- Wayne(6), Bruce(9), Horn(8), BJones(4)TE- VDavis(6), Olsen(9)K- Kaeding(7), Hanson(6)D- Dallas(8), Washington(4)
I have to say, I am a little ashamed of this team. Between the 7 drafts I had going on at one time and my wife being due in 2 weeks, I did not put forth my best. I just realized I only have 4 WRs. This could be a short SSL season for me. :bag:

jeter23

QB- Young, TJackson, Croyle
Interesting...you should be okay at this position, but Croyle was a waste after you had two starters here.
RB- Addai, APeterson (MN). Green, MBush, Irons
Strong but you could have just stuck with your top 3...you needed two more players at your next position.
WR- Wayne, Bruce, Horn, BJones
I've never seen a team win one of these with 4 WRs...this will be your demise.
TE- VDavis, Olsen
solid
K- Kaeding, Hanson

D- Dallas, Washington
solidOverall: C

You wasted a spot on Croyle and two spots on RBs that you desperately needed at WR...you'll learn your lessson.

jeter23

QB- Young, TJackson, Croyle
Interesting...you should be okay at this position, but Croyle was a waste after you had two starters here.
RB- Addai, APeterson (MN). Green, MBush, Irons
Strong but you could have just stuck with your top 3...you needed two more players at your next position.
WR- Wayne, Bruce, Horn, BJones
I've never seen a team win one of these with 4 WRs...this will be your demise.
TE- VDavis, Olsen
solid
K- Kaeding, Hanson

D- Dallas, Washington
solidOverall: C

You wasted a spot on Croyle and two spots on RBs that you desperately needed at WR...you'll learn your lessson.
Agree 100%, see my last post. :D

SSL1 - 15th pick

QB- Kitna (6),Lefty (4)
solid, big fan of lefty's value this year
hmmm...I like Edge, but Jacobs/Droughns combo concerns me.
Great job here. You went deep at the most important position and I like your depth...I may have passed on BMW.
TE- Gates (7)
Obviously great.

D- Pitt(6), Jax(4)
Strong Ds and kickers that will keep their jobs...solid.Overall: A

This is my kind of draft although I would have done something different at RB...Jacobs scares me in PPRs.

Users who are viewing this thread