What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL5 IDP Draft Commentary Thread (1 Viewer)

31.07 487 Rush Allen, James NOS LB

ouch.
:rant: I get home from work, my rd 30 pick is 9 picks away, but pre-drafted, so I go to bed. When I wake up 21 picks have been made (unheard of in this draft) and my rd 31 pick is up. Not wanting to hold things up, I bypass the ussual news blogger scan and basically flush pick 31.07 down the toilet!

:rant: :wall: :rant: :wall:

Question for Rude Dude about this pick. If I draft Dan Cody as a MFL DE and they switch him later, does he remain DE for my survivor team or switch to LB?

If he stays DE for my team, you can go ahead and draft him for me so you can get on with your pick. If not, I want to do something different.

radballs, I'll pay you 10M for Law
I hope he settles for less than that. :P
No, seriously. I'll give you 10M. I ate chinese buffet last week, and took the lucky numbers from the fortune cookie and won the lotto. I've got money to burn, and need at DB. :yes:

QB:

Donovan Mcnabb 4.05 (9)

Chad Pennington 15.12 (9)

J.P. Losman 16.05 (8)

RB:

Domanick Davis 1.12 (5)

Deshaun Foster 3.12 (9)

Ahman Green 5.12 (6)

Priest Holmes 17.12 (3)

WR:

Terrell Owens 2.05 (3)

Joey Galloway 6.05 (4)

Reggie Brown 7.12 (9)

Isaac Bruce 9.12 (7)

Antawn Randle El 20.05 (8)

Corey Bradford 25.12 (8)

Rashaun Woods 27.12 (3)

TE:

Ben Troupe 8.05 (7)

Erron Kinney 13.12 (7)

Bubba Franks 18.05 (6)

K:

Lawrence Tynes 26.05 (3)

DL:

Michael Strahan 10.05 (4)

Mike Rucker 23.12 (9)

Reggie Hayward 24.05 (6)

Tamba Hali 26.05 (3)

LB:

Shelton Quarles 11.12 (4)

Gary Brackett 12.05 (6)

Ernie Sims 14.05 (8)

E.J. Henderson 29.12 (6)

Randall Godfrey 30.12 (3)

DB:

Darren Sharper 19.12 (6)

Shawntae Spencer 21.12 (7)

Terrance Kiel 22.05 (3)

Robert Griffith 31.12 (9)

John Lynch 32.05 (4)

This is my first ever IDP draft so I don't know really how to grade it.

The only positions that I really like are TE and WR. I'd put my WR corp up against anyone in the league. QB and RB have injury risks everywhere.

Go ahead and rip it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
QB:

Donovan Mcnabb 4.05 (9)

Chad Pennington 15.12 (9)

J.P. Losman 16.05 (8)

OK group. McNabb will be your guy all year. If you have to depend on your backups, it could get rocky though. B

RB:

Domanick Davis 1.12 (5)

Deshaun Foster 3.12 (9)

Ahman Green 5.12 (6)

Priest Holmes 17.12 (3)

Another decent group, but very injury prone. You could easily end up with only 1 or maybe even no healthy RBs at the end of the year. Will produce when healthy though. B-

WR:

Terrell Owens 2.05 (3)

Joey Galloway 6.05 (4)

Reggie Brown 7.12 (9)

Isaac Bruce 9.12 (7)

Corey Bradford 25.12 (8)

Rashaun Woods 27.12 (3)

Very good group. Too many WRs though. I went with 5, which was a little light, but you probably could have left off Woods to solidify another position. A

TE:

Ben Troupe 8.05 (7)

Erron Kinney 13.12 (7)

Bubba Franks 18.05 (6)

You should get a solid game out of this group each week. A huge game from any of them will be rare though. You won't have to wory about this position though. B

K:

Lawrence Tynes 26.05 (3)

Good kicker, but risky with only 1. They are a dime a dozen, but still score quite a few points. Maybe a backup instead of WR7 was warranted here? C+

DL:

Michael Strahan 10.05 (4)

Mike Rucker 23.12 (9)

Reggie Hayward 24.05 (6)

Tamba Hali 26.05 (3)

Solid group. Strahan is good for a couple huge weeks, otherwise they won't win games for you, but won't lose them either. B-

LB:

Shelton Quarles 11.12 (4)

Gary Brackett 12.05 (6)

Ernie Sims 14.05 (8)

E.J. Henderson 29.12 (6)

Randall Godfrey 30.12 (3)

Not a bad group. When we can start 4 LB though, its not exciting. Bye weeks will prevent having 4 LBs week 6. Godfrey was a good late rounder. C-

DB:

Darren Sharper 19.12 (6)

Shawntae Spencer 21.12 (7)

Terrance Kiel 22.05 (3)

Robert Griffith 31.12 (9)

John Lynch 32.05 (4)

Solid group, probably didnt need 5 though. Sharper may put up a couple big games, but nothing else excites here. B-

This is my first ever IDP draft so I don't know really how to grade it.

The only positions that I really like are TE and WR. I'd put my WR corp up against anyone in the league. QB and RB have injury risks everywhere.

Go ahead and rip it up.
A little risky, but it should last a while, IMO. The hits will easily cover for the misses for a few weeks.

Terrell Owens 2.05 (3)

Joey Galloway 6.05 (4)

Reggie Brown 7.12 (9)

Isaac Bruce 9.12 (7)

Corey Bradford 25.12 (8)

Rashaun Woods 27.12 (3)

Very good group. Too many WRs though. I went with 5, which was a little light, but you probably could have left off Woods to solidify another position. A

Not having WR depth in a Survivor is a big NO NO. This statement is rediculous.

Here's my squad. This was my first IDP draft (I've done a few IDP auctions) and first survivor format as well. I definitely miscalculated a couple times, but mostly stuck to my strategy, we'll see how it does.

QB:

Brunell, Mark WAS QB - 8 9.06

Campbell, Jason WAS QB - 8 18.11

Leinart, Matt ARI QB ® - 9 15.06

Volek, Billy TEN QB - 7 11.06

My biggest miscalculation was how late I thought I could still draft viable QB play. I ended up spending one more roster spot here than I wanted to to insure hopefully solid play here every week. C-

RB:

Alstott, Mike TBB RB - 4 26.11

Barlow, Kevan SFO RB - 7 7.06

Houston, Cedric NYJ RB - 9 17.06

Jones, Thomas CHI RB - 7 3.06

Pass, Patrick NEP RB - 6 29.06

Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 4 1.06

Solid, but unspectacular. In hindsight, I wouldnt have taken Caddy there, but the draft snuck up on me. I wasn't aware it was happening till I got a PM that I was up. I also shouldn't have grabbed Barlow as RB3 because his bye clashes with Jones; this ended up costing me 1 more roster spot than I planned. Not quite to my goal of being sure I have a RB in the flex spot each week, but pretty close. C+

WR:

Ferguson, Robert GBP WR - 6 20.11

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. CIN WR - 5 4.11

Moss, Sinorice NYG WR ® - 4 21.06

Porter, Jerry OAK WR - 3 8.11

Stokley, Brandon IND WR - 6 14.11

Another solid squad, I went with a couple guys that will be hit or miss each week. This squad won't lose games for me, and should have at least a couple where 3 have huge games together. I loved getting Stokely as late as I did, as I expect him to see a few more targets this year with Edge gone. My WR6 was a casualty of the QB miscalc, otherwise I'm satisfied here. B

TE:

Shockey, Jeremy NYG TE - 4 2.11

In hindsight I took him a little early. Part of my "strategy" going into this was to have someone that would really take advantage of the 2/ppr. Not having a backup here hurts, a result of my RB bye week problem. It came down to a choice between a backup K or TE. If both went down, a kicker would give me more points; also another TE would probably never score for me, another K could cover bad weeks. Really banking on Shockey's health, which I'm not entirely comfortable with. B+

K:

Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK ® - 6 32.11

Hall, John WAS PK - 8 28.11

Decided to try out the QB-K pairing, and since WAS Qbs should be my scorers most weeks and Hall was close to BA at that point, thats where I went. Gotkowski was simply BA in the last round. Nothing special here overall, but they're kickers. :shrug: C+

DL:

Bernard, Robert SEA DT - 5 27.06

Glover, La' roi STL DT - 7 30.11

Henderson, John JAC DT - 6 23.06

Kerney, Patrick ATL DE - 5 16.11

Brain-fart on bye weeks here too, forcing 1 more roster spot here as well. Otherwise exactly as I wanted it. Kerney should be solid to very good all year, Henderson and Bernard will be steady. Glover was picked mainly to cover week 5, when he faces GB. B-

LB:

Arrington, Lavar NYG LB - 4 19.06

Edwards, Donnie SDC LB - 3 5.06

Hawk, A.J. GBP LB ® - 6 12.11

Johnson, Derrick O. KCC LB - 3 13.06

Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB ® - 5 24.11

Thomas, Zach MIA LB - 8 6.11

Obviously the strength of my squad. I wanted to be sure I'd get 4 very good to huge games each week. Looking back, I could have waited a couple rounds at a couple of the spots and gotten similar talent, but overall I'm very happy here. Lots of early bye weeks too. A

DB:

Minter, Mike CAR S - 9 31.06

Parrish, Tony SFO S - 7 22.11

Pool, Brodney CLE S - 6 25.06

Wilson, Gibril NYG S - 4 10.11

Exactly what I wanted here. 1 top performer, a couple more between whom I should get a solid game each week, and a solid backup. Not going to win me many games, but won't lose them either. B

The strategy was to out-perform at TE and LB and be solid everywhere else. The TE-LB part went ok, but at some other positions I'm just throwing quantity out there and hoping. I expect this squad to make it through the bye weeks, but not much more. It'd take one of the QBs being unexpectedly hot this year, Jones being a full-time starter all year, and a little more than I expect from my WRs to have a shot at winning the league.

Not having WR depth in a Survivor is a big NO NO. This statement is rediculous.
I'll take your word for it. As I said above, this was my first survivor. Not having a couple extra WR may come back to bite me then. It just seemed that with the quality he had 1-6, 7 could have gone to something he wasnt as happy with. :shrug:

Not having WR depth in a Survivor is a big NO NO.  This statement is rediculous.
I'll take your word for it. As I said above, this was my first survivor. Not having a couple extra WR may come back to bite me then. It just seemed that with the quality he had 1-6, 7 could have gone to something he wasnt as happy with. :shrug:
Your team is doomed because of lack of WR's. WR is essential in survivor leagues and you have too few as wr scoring is eratic. Week 6 is trouble.

Have at her guys!

Our (co-owned team) strategy was to get 1 really good solid stud at each position and good solid backups and try and stay away from the bye week blues. We also had targeted the defensive studs early (linebacker and DL) a little later on DB's. They seem to be more volatile from year to year and generally looked for solid talent.

Never been part of a survivor team before and fairly new at IDP ( 3rd year) all though my co-owner I believe has done survivor before and has tons of IDP experience. He had most of the rough drafting after all the real talent was gone. And I was out of town. Overall I think we did well weak at WR more than anywhere else in IMHO.

Quarterbacks

6.12 Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB 4

10.12 Rivers, Philip SDC QB 3

Big Ben should be solid and by week 4 Rivers should be in the swing. If Rivers doesn't adjust well and Ben has health issues - could be a problem. I won't give a grade as I'm not real sure what sort of grading system to use. You guys go ahead and tear us up.

Running Backs

1.05 Brown, Ronnie MIA RB 8

2.12 Jones, Julius DAL RB 3

9.05 Staley, Duce PIT RB 4

15.05 Calhoun, Brian DET RB ® 8

28.12 Sellers, Mike WAS RB 8

30.12 Smith, Antowain HOU RB 5

Bye week blues and lack of depth cost us a roster spot or 2. Tryed to get the RB depth of players that will get points from receiving as well as rushing yardage. If Brown breaks out and Jones stays healthy - should be solid.

Wide Receivers

3.05 Wayne, Reggie IND WR 6

5.05 Mason, Derrick BAL WR 7

16.12 McCareins, Justin NYJ WR 9

20.12 Taylor, Travis MIN WR 6

23.05 Price, Peerless BUF WR 8

31.05 Colbert, Keary CAR WR 9

This might be our weakest spot. Wayne should be huge this year and Mason if McNair goes to Baltimore - watchout. No real #3 receiver. Took a leap at Colbert at the end hoping he can perform as he did as a rookie (providing his bad ankle last season was the cause of his demise. Price and Taylor and McCariens provide depth.

Tight Ends

7.05 Stevens, Jerramy SEA TE 5

21.05 Clark, Desmond CHI TE 7

Solid Tight Ends - top tier gone but should get good points from Stevens and Clark is a solid backup

Kicker

25.05 Reed, Jeff PIT PK 4

27.05 Wilkins, Jeff STL PK 7

Good solid kickers.

Defensive Lineman

8.12 Taylor, Jason MIA DE 8

17.05 Kampman, Aaron GBP DE 6

24.12 Keisel, Brett PIT DE Fri 4

Taylor should be huge for us. Kampman has steadily improved each year and Keisel is great backup. Hopfully enough depth at this position.

Linebackers

4.12 Vilma, Jonathan NYJ LB 9

12.12 Mitchell, Kawika KCC LB 3

14.12 Greenway, Chad MIN LB ® 6

18.12 Wilson, Al DEN LB 4

32.12 Ingram, Clint JAC LB ® 6

Vilma will provide us good points each weak. Maybe asking too much of rookies with Greenway and Ingram. Took the last draft pick to go with a LB that might get that starting spot and provide some good points. Al Wilson - not spectacular but steady.

Defensive Backs

11.05 Barber, Ronde TBB CB 4

13.05 Tillman, Charles CHI CB 7

19.05 Hope, Chris TEN S 7

22.12 Ferguson, Nick DEN S 4

26.12 Vincent, Troy BUF S 8

29.05 Hill, Renaldo MIA CB 8

Again very good solid group of DB's. With the flex positions our depth at this position could be our salvation. Was glad to see we got such good talent in the later rounds.

Overall grade - Above average :thumbup: - time will tell. ;)

Your team is doomed because of lack of WR's. WR is essential in survivor leagues and you have too few as wr scoring is eratic. Week 6 is trouble.
in a non-IDP league, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. With 16 starters each week though, 3 WRs will usually account for only about 20% of your scoring. I think you can survive in an IDP league without great depth at almost any single position.

Your team is doomed because of lack of WR's.    WR is essential in survivor leagues and you have too few as wr scoring is eratic.  Week 6 is trouble.
in a non-IDP league, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. With 16 starters each week though, 3 WRs will usually account for only about 20% of your scoring. I think you can survive in an IDP league without great depth at almost any single position.
Aren't WR's the one single position that scores the most points per position alotment?

Your team is doomed because of lack of WR's.    WR is essential in survivor leagues and you have too few as wr scoring is eratic.   Week 6 is trouble.
Aren't WR's the one single position that scores the most points per position alotment?
probably. but, you can get some huge weeks from your LBs and DBs and RBs too.

That was a lot of fun. I enjoyed not being saddled with ADP numbers and having the freedom to grab guys I liked wherever.

I missed the bolded picks so can't take credit/blame for those. Overall it looks like a decent team to me - waiting until round 11 for the first D pick means the O should be solid.

There are questions at LB and DB, but if a couple of those giant upside guys hit then I should be in good shape. I like my DL Hall and Smith a lot. Outisde of Briggs and Marshall, the LB corps looks like boom or bust, but I like the potential of all the other LBs on the team.

I waited too long on DBs, multiple times, so that is an area of concern. Interesting to see a couple of strategies at play, seems most guys went for the safeties - I noticed Arud went the opposite way and drafted all CB. Maybe in a survivor format multiple CBs give better production with INT than multiple S do with consistent tackle numbers. We'll see.

Brees, Drew NOS QB - 7

Culpepper, Daunte MIA QB - 8

Anderson, Mike BAL RB - 7

Dillon, Corey NEP RB - 6

Fason, Ciatrick MIN RB - 6

Gado, Samkon GBP RB - 6

Jordan, Lamont OAK RB - 3

Chambers, Chris MIA WR - 8

Evans, Lee BUF WR - 8

Holmes, Santonio PIT WR ® - 4

Holt, Torry STL WR - 7

Jackson, Chad NEP WR ® - 6

Johnson, Keyshawn CAR WR - 9

Crumpler, Alge ATL TE - 5

Johnson, Eric SFO TE - 7

Carney, John NOS PK - 7

Graham, Shayne CIN PK - 5

Brown, Alex CHI DE - 7

Cole, Trent PHI DE - 9

Hall, James DET DE - 8

Smith, Will NOS DE - 7

Bockwoldt, Colby NOS LB - 7

Briggs, Lance CHI LB - 7

Cowart, Sam HOU LB - 5

Hill, Leroy SEA LB - 5

Marshall, Lemar WAS LB - 8

McCoy, Matt PHI LB - 9

Allen, Jason MIA CB ® - 8

McGee, Terrence BUF CB - 8

Williams, Darrent DEN CB - 4

Jackson, Dexter CIN S - 5

Milloy, Lawyer ATL S - 5

I've done pretty well in survivors (top 3 in MBSL3 two years running) and have gotten by without WR depth. It's really more of a matter of picking solid guys early because the position gets picked over pretty quickly.

I will try to post my team for comment when I get a few minutes.

LOL at Miggity bolding the guys he didn't pick.

1.13 McGahee, Willis BUF RB

I considered Rudi here. Knew I could get a top WR in the 2nd

2.04 Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Wanted Steve Smith. Bit of a gamble taking Fitz but hopefully he

wasn't a fluke. Some decent RBs left but didn't like the #1 WRs that

would be around at 3.13. Thought about Owens but couldn't pull the

trigger. Got a piece later by taking Bledsoe.

3.13 Bell, Tatum DEN RB

Getting into the RBBC committee guys here. I'm hoping Bell won't

share much once the season starts. Can't remember who else I

was considering here. Probably CuMar and Addai. QBs are not

flying off the board like in some survivors I've been in so I'm not

hot to take one yet. Hopefully Denver uses Bell in the passing game.

4.04 Driver, Donald GBP WR

Another risky pick as Favre still hadn't announced. I figured he

probably would play. He is a very solid survivor player. Can't

remember if I considered anyone else here. I don't pick another

WR for a while so glad I got the Driver.

5.13 Bledsoe, Drew DAL QB

These are the best WRs he has had that I can remember. I've had

him the past 2 years in MBSL3 but usually get him later. I think I was

set to take Urlacher if he fell. He and Vilma were guys I would have

taken here. Trent Green was prolly my second choice which is a little

bit different than most boards.

6.04 McMichael, Randy MIA TE

Tough one here as TEs are pretty valuable in this format. I liked Galloway

but didn't want to take a 3rd WR this early. Deciding to wait on D since guys

like Donnie Edwards are long gone. Wasn't super comfortable with remaining

TEs as my TE1.

7.13 Vick, Michael ATL QB

Would have taken Lofa Tatupu if he would have lasted. Going to wait on LBs

at this point. If Vick plays well this will be a good pair at QB for team Beto.

8.04 Williams, Demorrio ATL LB

This was a panic pick. I see Thurman and Brooking go off the table (good drafting guys) and reach for the youngster from ATL. Do not want to pick my 1st LB in the 9th.

9.13 Jones, Greg JAC RB

My sleeper for '06. Glad to get him here. RB cupboard is empty.

10.04 Brooks, Derrick TBB LB

Glad to see him still here. Did you guys pass on him because of his

age? In possible start 4 LB league I needed to get another top 20 guy.

11.13 Curtis, Kevin STL WR

Finally go WR3. Again, lots of WRs I would have taken went between 10.04 and

11.13, nice job guys. I still like Curtis but he won't put up consistent numbers

unless Bruce or Holt get hurt.

12.04 Dawkins, Brian PHI S

13.13 Vrabel, Mike NEP LB

14.04 Freeney, Dwight IND DE

Filling out the D with players I like. Prolly would have taken Matt Jones in Freeney's spot.

15.13 Winslow, Kellen CLE TE

I really like this pick but probably shouldn't. I'm not a Winslow fan but I thought

he represented value here.

16.04 244 Beto Harrison, Rodney NEP S

Don't know much about his recovery but could be great value.

17.13 Hargrove, Tony STL DE

18.04 Caldwell, Reche NEP WR

19.13 Foote, Larry PIT LB

20.04 Vanderjagt, Mike DAL PK

21.13 Arrington, J.J. ARI RB

22.04 Chavous, Corey STL S

23.13 Dilfer, Trent SFO QB

24.04 Curry, Ronald OAK WR

All these picks made while I was on vacation. Can't remember how many

came from my pre-draft list. Was pissed to see Nick Collins went when I

got back.

25.13 Haynes, Verron PIT RB

26.04 Edwards, Kalimba DET DE

27.13 Kasay, John CAR PK

28.04 Polley, Tommy BAL LB

29.13 Berrian, Bernard CHI WR

30.04 Roman, Mark GBP S

31.13 Finneran, Brian ATL WR

32.04 Canty, Chris DAL DE

Tried to take some WR depth late. Don't know it will do any good.

I think Kasay and Vany will be good K

McMichael and Winslow good TEs

Last edited by a moderator:
Fullback Fro

Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB - 5

Plummer, Jake DEN QB - 4

Bush, Reggie NOS RB ® - 7

Davenport, Najeh GBP RB - 6

Gore, Frank SFO RB - 7

Parker, Willie PIT RB - 4

Battle, Arnaz SFO WR - 7

Clayton, Michael TBB WR - 4