What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

st louis safeties (1 Viewer)

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy
so, I guess mikell is fs, while ss might be up in the air.

what can we expect from these positions for fantasy production?

I'm more comfortable with fs in this defense than on a lot of teams, but is ss still going to outproduce mikell?

http://www.rantsports.com/st-louis-rams/2011/08/26/st-louis-position-battles-to-watch-in-the-rams-vs-chiefs-contest/

-Quintin Mikell is already set in stone at free safety, but the Rams still have a wide open competition at strong safety. Second-year safety Darian Stewart will get the start opposite Mikell, but not much is known as to whether they are seriously considering Stewart for the starting role, or if they are having open tryouts for the position. Stewart has looked impressive throughout the preseason however.

-Craig Dahl has been inconsistent, but at the same time he has shown improvement. His coverage skills are still lacking, and you’d like to see him play zones better. There is still much to be desired from the North Dakota State product, but at this point he is likely the best option.

-Rookie safety Jermale Hines has looked much better than expected, but whether the Rams will be willing to throw their fifth-round selection immediately into the fire remains unseen.

-James Butler is also an option, but he appears to be more effective when he sees limited playing time. Regardless, the position should receive plenty of attention from coaches tonight.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/818980-st-louis-rams-darian-stewart-the-new-starting-safety

Yesterday at St. Louis Rams practice, the coaches made somewhat of a surprising move. Second year, undrafted free agent Darian Stewart was getting reps with the first team defense at strong safety.

The 5'11", 215 pound safety out of South Carolina was getting the staring reps over Craig Dahl. Stewart has a lot of college experience as he started for three seasons at South Carolina. He also played in 13 games a season ago with the Rams, but he was used primarily as a special teamer.

So why the sudden change for the Rams?

Craig Dahl wasn't a slouch at the strong safety position a season ago. He wasn't spectacular either, but I'm sure most coaches would be happy with a 98 tackle, 2 interception season. His size is very similar to Darian Stewart's as well. Dahl is 6'1" and 210 pounds.

The Rams' coaching staff must see a lot of potential in Darian Stewart for them to put him ahead of veterans Craig Dahl and James Butler. The two have played a combined 56 games in the past two seasons. Both of them had opportunities to start a season ago also.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/7/24/2290991/2011-st-louis-rams-depth-chart-safeties

Darian Stewart- As an undrafted rookie last year, he played very well. He was very versatile for the team last year. At times he lined up as the WIL in nickel formations. He also played well on ST. He has the talent to be a good safety in the league, but does he have the experience yet?

2007 giants - gibril wilson had 78-14 tackles in 13 games

2009 rams - atogwe got 58-16 in 12 games

2010 rams - atogwe 64-9 in 16 + a couple sacks

I would think they'd use mikell in the box more than atogwe, but I guess that's what I'm asking.

I think they'd love to use him as ss, but he's probably their only cover safety, so those other guys play ss by default.

they've got mikell, butler, dahl, stewart, 5th round rookie, and some lesser prospects.

do you think they're playing stewart to get a better look because one of those guys is the odd man out?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, I found this

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/8/25/2378572/st-louis-rams-craig-dahl

The St. Louis Rams defense is fascinating to watch. I've been back through the Titans game at least two dozen times and I've seen every imaginable variety of formations. I want to go back to my interview with Craig Dahl, who enlightened us to some of the Rams' defensive schemata. Let's just get right into it. Be sure to follow Dahl on Twitter, @CraigDahl43. From there, I'm going to use his insight to breakdown James Butler's third quarter interception. (Here's part one of our interview with Dahl).

How do the safeties work in the Rams defense?

and it references this interview with dahl

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/8/21/2376430/st-louis-rams-craig-dahl-interview

St. Louis Rams safety Craig Dahl was kind enough to spend some time talking to us earlier in the preseason. Over the course of twenty to thirty minutes we covered everything from the various roles of the Rams' safeties to predictions for North Dakota State' season.

Any insight on the all the reps Darian Stewart got Monday night?
He's been their nickel LB mostly. But he and James Butler got some rotational snaps over Dahl last week.
and due to their depleted CB's he was often manned up on slot and at times on the outside Wr's time to time on the LOS. i think thats where he was subbing in for Dahl at times b/c he's a better cover safety.

Any insight on the all the reps Darian Stewart got Monday night?
He's been their nickel LB mostly. But he and James Butler got some rotational snaps over Dahl last week.
and due to their depleted CB's he was often manned up on slot and at times on the outside Wr's time to time on the LOS. i think thats where he was subbing in for Dahl at times b/c he's a better cover safety.
So do you think that Dahl's diminished role was based solely on the lack of cover corners available last week?

Anyone see the game? When I checked the box scores, I remember seeing Stewart out-producing Dahl again. Anyone have a snap count or know if he took any base snaps from Dahl/Butler? Is he worth keeping stashed at the end of the bench? Anyone have a perspective on his realistic upside?

Anyone see the game? When I checked the box scores, I remember seeing Stewart out-producing Dahl again. Anyone have a snap count or know if he took any base snaps from Dahl/Butler? Is he worth keeping stashed at the end of the bench? Anyone have a perspective on his realistic upside?
He definitely saw time as a base safety this week. But he, again, took horrible angles in run support and pass coverage. I'm pretty sure Quintin Mikell wanted to do mean things to him on more than one occasion. He's had all kinds of opportunity over the first three games and been mostly average. I'm not sure I'd trust him to improve on that.

He definitely saw time as a base safety this week. But he, again, took horrible angles in run support and pass coverage. I'm pretty sure Quintin Mikell wanted to do mean things to him on more than one occasion. He's had all kinds of opportunity over the first three games and been mostly average. I'm not sure I'd trust him to improve on that.
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread