What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Staff/MB Survivor Leagues Posted (1 Viewer)

Your thoughts on my squad?

Barber, Marion DAL RB 9 18.03

Buckhalter, Correll PHI RB 6 13.10

Crockett, Zack OAK RB 5 21.10

Martin, Curtis NYJ RB 8 2.03

Parker, Willie PIT RB 4 19.10

Westbrook, Brian PHI RB 6 1.10

I've been critical of the FBG ranking of Buckhalter since April(see critique series) so I obviously didn't like that pick even before the injury news...especially given the Moats emergence. I would've rather have seen a Blaylock handcuff than Buckhalter or Crockett. Willie Parker was a shark pick. I'm a big Barber fan, as he's on most of my Survivor teams including this league. I have both CuMar and Westbrook ranked higher than the consensus so overall I put your squad about average at RB.
Good overall analysis LHUCKS. One question though. Can you explain how having the number 5 and 7 RBs from last year in terms of FPs (and the number 7 and 5 RBs from last year in terms of FP/G) are average? With 24 starting RBs, I'm a bit confused. And it's not like either of those guys (Westbrook or Martin) have seen their situations do anything but improve (Buckhalter injury, Jordan gone).
Their numbers from last year were based on 16 games at full strength. Those guys are getting drafted in the second/third because people feel like they will be hard pressed to stay healthy, and even if they do, that they will be hard pressed to repeat last year's numbers.

Good overall analysis LHUCKS. One question though. Can you explain how having the number 5 and 7 RBs from last year in terms of FPs (and the number 7 and 5 RBs from last year in terms of FP/G) are average? With 24 starting RBs, I'm a bit confused. And it's not like either of those guys (Westbrook or Martin) have seen their situations do anything but improve (Buckhalter injury, Jordan gone).
Lack of handcuffs and a solid #3. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet four of five teams have better RBs.
Agreed. :thumbup: I thought you meant my RB1 and RB2 were average, which I couldn't see. But if you want to give heavy weight to my considerably below average RB3 and RB4, then I can see your point.

I've been critical of the FBG ranking of Buckhalter since April(see critique series) so I obviously didn't like that pick even before the injury news...especially given the Moats emergence. I would've rather have seen a Blaylock handcuff than Buckhalter or Crockett. Willie Parker was a shark pick. I'm a big Barber fan, as he's on most of my Survivor teams including this league. I have both CuMar and Westbrook ranked higher than the consensus so overall I put your squad about average at RB.
Their numbers from last year were based on 16 games at full strength. Those guys are getting drafted in the second/third because people feel like they will be hard pressed to stay healthy, and even if they do, that they will be hard pressed to repeat last year's numbers.
The FP/G numbers aren't based on 16 games. Neither of them are being drafted in the third. I don't know anyone who thinks Curtis Martin will be hard pressed to stay healthy, and Westbrook has missed between 0-2 games due to injury the past two seasons.I know we normally see eye to eye BF, but I'm not sure where you're coming from. Westbrook seems like an obvious stud in PPR leagues, and Martin has been top ten in five of seven years with the Jets. The two exceptions being his 261 carry season (which no one would reasonably project for this year following his 400+ touch season last year) and the year the Jets went 6-10, which even the strongest Jets-haters don't predict for this year.

Team Fred:

Delhomme, Jake CAR QB 7 8.09

Feeley, A.J. MIA QB 4 21.04

Frerotte, Gus MIA QB 4 13.04

Below average at QB

James, Edgerrin IND RB 8 1.04

Moore, Mewelde MIN RB 5 10.09

Pearman, Alvin JAC RB 7 15.04

Shelton, Eric CAR RB 7 9.04

Taylor, Fred JAC RB 7 4.09

Toefield, LaBrandon JAC RB 7 11.04

Williams, Moe MIN RB 5 17.04

I'd say average at RB, but you need Taylor to remain healthy as I'm not totally sold on Pearman/Toefield. Shelton in the 9th was costly, as stated earlier I made it a poin of avoiding Carolina/Minnesota RBs.

Driver, Donald GBP WR 6 5.04

Harrison, Marvin IND WR 8 2.09

Lelie, Ashley DEN WR 9 7.04

Smith, Rod DEN WR 9 6.09

Terrell, David NEP WR 7 19.04

Williams, Reggie JAC WR 7 12.09

Five starting WRs, four of which are in my top 30. Going deep at RB and QB cost you WR depth, so you'll need your guys to stay healthy. Good job not reaching on crappy WRs for the sake of having WR depth alone.

Campbell, Mark BUF TE 9 22.09

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE 5 3.04

Above average obviously.

Cundiff, Billy DAL PK 9 18.09

Janikowski, Sebastian OAK PK 5 16.09

oops

Overall, I think your team is solid, but I'm weary of your RB depth and QB scoring. I'd say slightly above average.

I don't know anyone who thinks Curtis Martin will be hard pressed to stay healthy, and Westbrook has missed between 0-2 games due to injury the past two seasons.
I agree here.

I don't know anyone who thinks Curtis Martin will be hard pressed to stay healthy
:hey:
why?
from our Staff Value article:
Overvalued RBs - Curtis Martin

Aaron Rudnicki - In 2004, Martin set career highs for rushes, yards, and yards per carry, and was the oldest player to ever win a rushing title. He’s had nearly 700 carries combined over the past two years and at 32 years old, his body is unlikely to withstand that type of punishment much longer. Although he’s never finished a season ranked lower than #18 since entering the league, older RBs have a tendency to fall off quickly and it wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if his body started to finally wear down a bit.
History is working against him at this point. His body has to wear down eventually, and I think last year's heavy workload will take a toll. Expecting similar numbers from him this year is just asking for trouble. Last year's numbers by Martin, Bettis and company were a fluke, IMO.

The FP/G numbers aren't based on 16 games. Neither of them are being drafted in the third. I don't know anyone who thinks Curtis Martin will be hard pressed to stay healthy, and Westbrook has missed between 0-2 games due to injury the past two seasons.I know we normally see eye to eye BF, but I'm not sure where you're coming from. Westbrook seems like an obvious stud in PPR leagues, and Martin has been top ten in five of seven years with the Jets. The two exceptions being his 261 carry season (which no one would reasonably project for this year following his 400+ touch season last year) and the year the Jets went 6-10, which even the strongest Jets-haters don't predict for this year.
Curtis is going 20th, and Westbrook 22nd, on average. I've seen both go in the third, but mostly in the second. Martin's 32 years old. While he doesn't miss games due to injury, his penchant for playing through injury is both a pro and a con, as evidenced by his 2002 season, when he didn't break 100 yards until his fifth game due to an ankle injury. Without Jordan to take the hard carries, he could take a pounding this year. He's coming off a career high in carries, yards per rush, and yards, which would be difficult to repeat. He had 38 more regular season carries last year than he had in any season in this millennium.

I fear Westbrook. I always will. It may be irrational, but I just see a ton of possible risk. His receiving numbers last year were phenomenal, and with Pinkston out may even go up, but they were also better than double his 2003 numbers, and he has missed time in each of his two seasons as a starter. His TDs are suspect, with 6 coming through the air in a total of three games. He scored just 3 on the ground. He scored in just 5 games last year. His reception numbers carry him as a player, but without Pinkston stretching the field, teams are going to be better able to take Westbrook away.

History is working against him at this point. His body has to wear down eventually, and I think last year's heavy workload will take a toll. Expecting similar numbers from him this year is just asking for trouble. Last year's numbers by Martin, Bettis and company were a fluke, IMO.
I agree that he's unlikely to repeat his numbers, but disagree that he's much more injury prone than say a Kevin Jones or Willis McGAhee, Dillon etc.

I fear Westbrook. I always will. It may be irrational, but I just see a ton of possible risk. His receiving numbers last year were phenomenal, and with Pinkston out may even go up, but they were also better than double his 2003 numbers, and he has missed time in each of his two seasons as a starter. His TDs are suspect, with 6 coming through the air in a total of three games. He scored just 3 on the ground. He scored in just 5 games last year. His reception numbers carry him as a player, but without Pinkston stretching the field, teams are going to be better able to take Westbrook away.
I used to fear Westbrook, but last year he proved he could do it and his reception numbers give him consistent scoring week to week in this format. Not to mention, his handcuffs are very cheap.I liked him this year in ppr's.

If my QBs and TEs hold up, my team should do well in this.
Team Rudnicki Carr, David HOU QB 3 9.05

Leftwich, Byron JAC QB 7 8.08

Manning, Eli NYG QB 5 12.08

I really like this group, three surefire starters that should provide consistent scoring throughout the year. As mentioned earlier, this would've been my strategy had I not gone McNabb in 4th. Slightly above average IMO because of the security.

Brown, Ronnie MIA RB 4 5.05

Jones, Thomas CHI RB 4 6.08

Lewis, Jamal BAL RB 3 2.08

McAllister, Deuce NOS RB 10 1.05

Perry, Chris CIN RB 10 16.08

I like this group a lot. Currently four starters. Lewis will make or break this squad. Chris Perry was a shark pick IMHO.

Burleson, Nate MIN WR 5 4.08

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR 4 13.05

Givens, David NEP WR 7 11.05

Moulds, Eric BUF WR 9 7.05

Parker, Eric SDC WR 10 14.08

Walker, Javon GBP WR 6 3.05

White, Roddy ATL WR 8 21.05

6 starters, maybe 7 if White gets the nod(not sure), topped with Walker, Burleson and Moulds. Possibly the deepest set of WRs in the draft. Very nice.

Johnson, Eric SFO TE 6 10.08

Watson, Ben NEP TE 7 17.05

Only weakspot on the squad. Other spots should makeup for occasional down weeks. I was scared stiff of Johnson in survivor formats. I would have went TE#2 earlier.

Bears, Chicago CHI Def 4 19.05

Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def 7 15.05

Cardinals, Arizona ARI Def 6 20.08

Given his WR strength, I belive 3 Defenses was the way to go given the 22 roster spots. I had originally planned to take 3 D's myself but my TE situation had me concerned so I took a 3rd TE.

Overall, this is a tier 1 team. Off the top of my head I have tier 1 at: JoeT, Rudnicki, Stuart, Yudkin, LHUCKS. (I may be missing one)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to like Westbrook's potential in PPR leagues. You know he is going to get at least as many targets as last year if he can stay healthy and he is the type of player that can score from anywhere on the field. He is a great pickup in the 2nd round of any league that gives at least 1PPR.

What the heck.  This is a good read as always LHUCK so go ahead and critique my squad as well.
Team Smith...Culpepper, Daunte MIN QB 5 3.06

Griese, Brian TBB QB 7 10.07

Johnson, Brad MIN QB 5 21.06

Above average. Love the 21st round Culpepper handcuff.

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 5 14.07

Jones, Thomas CHI RB 4 5.06

Lewis, Jamal BAL RB 3 2.07

McGahee, Willis BUF RB 9 1.06

Pittman, Michael TBB RB 7 9.06

Williams, Carnell TBB RB 7 4.07

Very, very strong...one of the few teams that may see substantial flex scoring from the RB position. Would have went WR instead of Jacobs in the 14th to help balance out squad.

Burress, Plaxico NYG WR 5 8.07

Chambers, Chris MIA WR 4 6.07

Johnson, Bryant ARI WR 6 15.06

Moulds, Eric BUF WR 9 7.06

Washington, Kelley CIN WR 10 22.07

Wilford, Ernest JAC WR 7 18.07

Williams, Reggie JAC WR 7 11.06

This is the weakness. We've got four starters none of which are tier 1 or 2, and a couple of guys that may not contribute all year. That being said, given the strength at QB/RB you can afford to be a little weaker at WR. Only 2 starting WRs in week 7. Overall below average.

Graham, Daniel NEP TE 7 17.06

Stevens, Jerramy SEA TE 8 12.07

Should provide consistent scoring, but lacking upside. Good move not having an early bye week with these two.

Overall, I'd say above average, but I'm not sure it's a tier one team. I'd say very strong tier 2 squad. If Chambers and Plax reach potential could surprise, but at this point too much risk at WR for me to put in first tier. Can Culpepper and RBs carry the load...possibly.

How in the heck did Caddy fall to 4.7 in league 2? :fishy: League 1 > League 2 :popcorn:

Can I get BassnBrew to rip my picks so that I'll have a great year again?I'm glad nobody wanted my team or likes my team. I don't want any jinxes. I don't know how Yudkin got such an awesome team in the other league. No way should Owens and Harrison fall to 2.11 and 3.02, although I can see Owens since that was a bad time. Teams that drafted crap RBs over Harrison are going to pay. This is the biggest flaw of "Stud RB" theory. Often, they aren't studs. We should call it "2 RB Theory" - just draft two rbs and you'll win!

Can I get BassnBrew to rip my picks so that I'll have a great year again?

I'm glad nobody wanted my team or likes my team. I don't want any jinxes.

I don't know how Yudkin got such an awesome team in the other league. No way should Owens and Harrison fall to 2.11 and 3.02, although I can see Owens since that was a bad time. Teams that drafted crap RBs over Harrison are going to pay. This is the biggest flaw of "Stud RB" theory. Often, they aren't studs. We should call it "2 RB Theory" - just draft two rbs and you'll win!
Post 'em and I'll rip 'em.

Since LHUCKS is in a critiquing mood, any real changes in your thoughts on my team? TIA . . .
What happened to your LJ handcuff? :P
I had a choice of LJ or Fragile Freddie at 4.11. In a regular league, I would have taken Johnson there, but not wanting to create a bye week nightmare, I took the guy with a great chance at a 1,500 yard total season if he plays (which he should).I didn't think Cowboy would have taken Johnson between my picks, as the sole purpose would be to disrupt my team. I don't really think LJ would have helped Cowboy's team all that much at that spot, as he had his two stud RB with the same bye week (Week 10). If Cowboy gets that far, he better hope Rickey and LJ are playing a lot by then.

If you remove Taylor and give me Johnson at that pick, I'm not sure my team would be that much better.
I don't disagree with your pick with Fred Taylor at 4.11, he was great value there. However, after that pick there was nothing I really liked at the RB spot.As you pointed out, I had 2 of my Rb's (Lt2 and R Johnson) with bye week 10's, so I had to make a stand and take a shot at a guy I think could/may make a difference and be a starter.

All summer long I've drafted LJ in various leagues, even in the winter survivor league back in january I took Larry Johnson in the 5th round. He's just a guy I believe is going to be a very good player when given the chance.

Add that to the Priest owner was picking directly behind me it just felt like the right player for me at the time. The only other option I had was to go Roy Williams in Johnson's place.........but Roy had the same bye week as Andre Johnson so I didn't want to go that route. Also, what would that have done for me about my week 10 bye issues if/when i got there, nothing.

Agree with Unlucky, TO was probably a gift at 3.02. I passed him up at 3.01..........really a hard decision. My gut told me he was going to play and shape up, but even with that he does tend to sit out towards the end of the season for various reasons so I passed. Obviously I didn't pass because of his talent, he is actually (before all this mess) my No.1 rated WR in late July and probably my No.1 WR in points per game today...........which is different in a survivor format.

In our write ups, I voted Joe T as the best team. He just happened to get a lot of players that I'm particularly high on. He might not get a lot of the high scores, but I see plenty of scoring out of his lineup which should carry him a long way.

No one has said anything positive or negative about my backup tight end selection.

In the 20th and 22nd rounds I choice Heiden and Shea of Cleveland. Combined they actually can post some decent numbers. Those guys don't get drafted very often, I kind of felt sorry for them you know.

In the 20th and 22nd rounds I choice Heiden and Shea of Cleveland. Combined they actually can post some decent numbers. Those guys don't get drafted very often, I kind of felt sorry for them you know.
The problem I forsee with this is that you have two guys with half a loaf. Heiden had one huge game and two ok ones--the rest were marginal at best. Shea had TD in a few games and a couple of above average games. Most of the time, they will vulture from each other, so you would need one of them to have a great game and the other to do next to nothing to get a high score and have one of them count in the scoring.It's had to get excited about two guys that basically each had 25 receptions playing on the same team. Who knows, maybe one will sit and the other will prosper.

No one has said anything positive or negative about my backup tight end selection.

In the 20th and 22nd rounds I choice Heiden and Shea of Cleveland.
:X why not just take a better backup tightend earlier?

IWBC should get invited back next year just for pancaking Yudkin. :thumbup:
I was supposed to sack up and take LJ at 4.10, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was happy when he fell past Yudkin at 4.11 - it let me off the hook.

Pasting some stuff I posted elsewhere to a limited audience:IWBACPick Player Team05.01 Donovan McNabb Phi/612.12 Patrick Ramsey Was/3Good here. I really wanted Ramsey when you took him - I should have said something. McNabb's a very good pick that late.01.01 LaDainian Tomlinson SD/1002.12 Rudi Johnson Cin/1004.12 Larry Johnson KC/509.01 Ricky Williams Mia/411.01 Chester Taylor Bal/319.01 Shawn Bryson Det/3Great. Getting Rudi was perfect. I'm not sure I like the Ricky pick much, since you already had a late-season guy in LJ. It leaves you pretty vulnerable in the first five weeks or so. I like the Taylor pick since he'll get some touches every week and showed he could fill in for Lewis. Bryson I thought wasn't going to be the third down back this season. If that's so, he's not worth much.03.01 Andre Johnson Hou/306.12 Muhsin Muhammad Chi/407.01 Rod Smith Den/910.12 Brandon Lloyd SF/608.12 David Givens NE/718.12 Cedrick Wilson Pit/417.01 Troy Williamson Min/5I didn't like the Andre pick, but if you liked him the best of the WRs, you had to take him here. Moose should be good, though he could have some dry weeks with their QB sichyation. Rod Smith is always good value - he's solid for you and a very good WR3. Lloyd is a good guy to take a shot on. Givens was way too early, I thought - I don't know what his ADP is, but I sure don't expect him to live up to the 8/9 turn pick. Cedrick Wilson was a smart pick - he could be a starter. Williamson... meh, I'm not thrilled about him, but I could easily see him finishing the season with really low overall stats, but getting a couple of big games as they exploit a slow secondary.13.01 Marcus Pollard Det/320.12 Steve Heiden Cle/422.12 Aaron Shea Cle/4The Cleveland TE handcuff is hilarious, but pretty smart IMO. Both these guys are undraftable in redrafts, but in survivor having both, I bet it'll work out fine. Pollard is a weak starter, but that's what you get in the 13th.15.01 Matt Stover Bal/316.12 Ryan Longwell GB/6Good here. I think Longwell's overrated this year - I expect the offense to fall off a bit, Favre to kill more drives with INTs instead of FGs, and there to be holder problems all season. Still, he's good and Stover's very good.14.12 Atlanta Atl/821.01 Arizona Ari/6Not bad - I don't think Atlanta will do what they did last year, but they should be good. Arizona's on the upswing as a defense. I don't know how the schedule fits for these two, but Arizona has some good divisional games that will yield points.

BassNBrewPick Player Team07.05 Aaron Brooks NO/1011.05 Joey Harrington Det/315.05 Drew Bledsoe Dal/9Looks very good here, though I was surprised at the Bledsoe pick instead of Garcia. I have a tough time trying to figure that one out always... do I lock up a committee handcuff or take a fairly weak starter? In this case since you only really need two QBs, I think you made the right choice. I thought I was going to have to face the same (but lesser) decision with Feeley and Dilfer, but Dilfer got taken before I had to decide.01.05 Deuce McAllister NO/1003.05 J.J. Arrington Ari/602.08 Lamont Jordan Oak/514.08 Marcel Shipp Ari/620.08 Stephen Davis Car/718.08 Najeh Davenport GB/6Very nice here. Those top three should be solid with no bye problems. The Shipp handcuff was very smart. I like the late chances you took with SDavis and Najeh - Najeh at least should get you points every week. Week 6 isn't great, but isn't that bad.04.08 Drew Bennett Ten/705.05 Nate Burleson Min/506.08 Deion Branch NE/708.08 Santana Moss Was/310.08 Brandon Stokley Ind/822.08 Robert Ferguson GB/616.08 Marty Booker Mia/4Not huge names, but four good receivers at the top. Stokley will be huge in some weeks - great survivor WR. Ferguson is a very good pick IMO - I was going to take him two picks later, and I would have taken him a full round earlier but I wanted to tie up my last defense then. Booker is a very good gamble that late - he's talented and looks like he'll be starting. If that offense improves, that's a steal.09.05 L.J. Smith Phi/612.08 Chris Cooley Was/3Nice - if you miss the top guys, get two mid-level guys. These are my two favorite mid-level TEs this year.19.05 Mike Nugent NYJ/821.05 Olindo Mare Mia/4Pretty bad here, but as long as they play you're probably fine.13.05 Carolina Car/717.05 Washington Was/3Very good here. I'm not as convinced as everyone else is that Carolina's going to rebound all the way on defense, but they should be better than last year. Washington's very good in this format because they keep the score and yardage low despite a lack of big plays.

EvilgrinPick Player Team06.06 Trent Green KC/508.06 Tom Brady NE/717.07 Alex Smith SF/6Very good - two top-10 solid guys. I wouldn't have taken ASmith since you were so solid already, but this is a position of strength.01.07 Domanick Davis Hou/302.06 Ahman Green GB/605.07 Lee Suggs Cle/409.07 T.J. Duckett Atl/812.06 Derrick Blaylock NYJ/8Only five, but I really like the five you have. DDavis should be a monster here (I had him as RB5 and in hindsight should have asked for the 5 spot for drafting). Green is on the decline and his OL was shuffled, but he's consistently good and should get receptions as well. Suggs is a wildcard with Droughns and Green around, plus an entirely new team for the most part, but is a good gamble. Duckett gets goal line carries and I think he takes more of the load from Dunn this season. Blaylock is a nice pick IMO - he should be worth that spot and more just based on weekly part-time production. He'll score for you some. Week 8 you only have three guys, but they're your top three and you only need 2 anyway.04.06 Michael Clayton TB/707.07 Derrick Mason Bal/310.06 Amani Toomer NYG/514.06 Mike Williams Det/319.07 Quincy Morgan Dal/915.07 Michael Jenkins Atl/811.07 Reggie Brown Phi/620.06 Brandon Jones Ten/7Clayton was a good pick. Mason should be good, but we'll see. Toomer should be better than his ADP, but I don't much like him as a WR3. Jenkins looks like a good pick. I don't really like the rest - Williams is WR4 at this point, Morgan is WR3 on a team that appears to want to emphasize the run, Brown is in a mess and was taken way too early, and Jones could be a good pick, but isn't a starter right now. Not my favorite group of WRs here.03.07 Tony Gonzalez KC/518.06 Erron Kinney Ten/7Gonzo's the best, Kinney should be good with Troupe injured and maybe even beyond.16.06 Sebastian Janikowski Oak/522.06 Phil Dawson Cle/4Jank is good, but Dawson isn't - Cleveland won't score any points this season. He does have a secure hold on the job, though.13.07 NY Jets NYJ/821.07 Indianapolis Ind/8You know about the bye weeks. Otherwise they look decent.

FamilyMattersPick Player Team02.04 Peyton Manning Ind/814.04 Eli Manning NYG/5Nice to see Peyton fall to you there, I'm sure. Eli was taken late as the best remaining backup and that's fine. Manning will be some nice dependable points for you.01.09 Clinton Portis Was/305.09 Ronnie Brown Mia/403.09 DeShaun Foster Car/709.09 Marshall Faulk StL/910.04 Eric Shelton Car/713.09 Ladell Betts Was/3Portis is solid, but Brown has a lot of uncertainty - Ricky, OL, late to camp, and QB play. Foster/Shelton - that's a good pairing - nice job there, and you waited a long time to get Shelton. I have a hard time holding off when I'm trying to handcuff. MFaulk should get some points every week on receptions and a few carries, so he's a nice fourth guy. Betts is a decent late gamble with Portis having an injury history and Betts getting one game to himself for no reason last year as well.06.04 Jimmy Smith Jac/708.04 T.J. Houshmandzadeh Cin/1007.09 Charles Rogers Det/315.09 David Patten Was/312.04 Ronald Curry Oak/522.04 Dennis Northcutt Cle/417.09 Matt Jones Jac/7I think this is a pretty weak group overall. Smith is consistent, but he's getting up there and I like him more as a WR2/3. Housh has a lot of talented guys behind him in Warrick, Washington, and Henry. Rogers we haven't gotten that much of a look at yet, but I think he'll have some big weeks at the least. Patten is good for where you picked him - he's a starter. Curry I don't care for too much - he's injured and WR3 at this point (I know, Porter's injured too). I think he's talented, I just don't know if he'll have much of an opportunity. Still, he could kill some nickel back in a few games. Northcutt is a good pick IMO - every year he heads into the season as WR4 or so, but he keeps putting up decent stats. I don't like Matt Jones. He could get some TDs, but I'm not sure he'll see the field much.04.04 Jason Witten Dal/916.04 Jeb Putzier Den/921.09 Heath Miller Pit/4I didn't understand the Miller pick at the time, but now that I see the bye week issue, it makes sense. I really like this group, but of course it took three roster spots.20.04 Nate Kaeding SD/1019.09 Rian Lindell Buf/9Not great here, but not terrible. Lindell's hold on the starting job is stronger than it was early in the offseason, but I still don't think he's got it totally locked up.11.09 Buffalo Buf/918.04 Chicago Chi/4Buffalo should be great in this scoring system (and I think it was late enough to take the top defenses - that's why I took Baltimore in the same round). Chicago is underrated as a defense. Nice job here.

JoeTPick Player Team07.11 Brett Favre GB/610.02 Jake Delhomme Car/7Good pairing - both guys I wouldn't mind as a starter in a redraft. I wanted Delhomme when you took him, but there probably wasn't much of a chance of him making it through 7 more teams anyway.01.11 Julius Jones Dal/902.02 Corey Dillon NE/708.02 Travis Henry Ten/718.02 Jonathan Wells Hou/315.11 Anthony Thomas Dal/912.02 Frank Gore SF/6Nice at the top with JJones and Dillon, though both are discounted in PPR. Henry is a good chance to take in the 8th. I don't like the Wells pick - I think he's RB4 on that team. Thomas might get cut, but if he doesn't, I think he'd be the replacement if JJones were injured - weird situation. Gore is a good pick that I probably should have made since I have Barlow.03.11 Javon Walker GB/604.02 Darrell Jackson Sea/805.11 Isaac Bruce StL/909.11 Keenan McCardell SD/1011.11 Antonio Bryant Cle/413.11 Travis Taylor Min/516.02 Samie Parker KC/520.02 Jerome Pathon Sea/8Great top three. I like McCardell as well, and Bryant too. With that top five, it made sense to take a chance with Taylor. Parker should contribute, and Pathon has a chance. I don't think I would have picked Pathon - your top seven are really good here and I'm not sure you needed another... I think you might have done better to go after your defenses here and see what's left in round 22 if you wanted an 8th WR.06.02 Alge Crumpler Atl/817.11 Bubba Franks GB/6Nice. Franks's holdout makes him scary, but Crumpler's reliable so it's not that big of a deal. I would have gone with Shockey over Crumpler, but you had to take whichever you liked here or miss out on the reliable guys.14.02 David Akers Phi/619.11 Lawrence Tynes KC/5Very good, though I'm sure you didn't like hearing the Tynes felony news right after drafting.21.11 Ny Giants NYG/522.02 St. Louis StL/9I think the Giants should be better than people are ranking them. I don't see much I like about the Rams, though. Not so hot here.

FamilyMatters

Pick Player Team

02.04 Peyton Manning Ind/8

14.04 Eli Manning NYG/5

Nice to see Peyton fall to you there, I'm sure. Eli was taken late as the best remaining backup and that's fine. Manning will be some nice dependable points for you.

01.09 Clinton Portis Was/3

05.09 Ronnie Brown Mia/4

03.09 DeShaun Foster Car/7

09.09 Marshall Faulk StL/9

10.04 Eric Shelton Car/7

13.09 Ladell Betts Was/3

Portis is solid, but Brown has a lot of uncertainty - Ricky, OL, late to camp, and QB play. Foster/Shelton - that's a good pairing - nice job there, and you waited a long time to get Shelton. I have a hard time holding off when I'm trying to handcuff. MFaulk should get some points every week on receptions and a few carries, so he's a nice fourth guy. Betts is a decent late gamble with Portis having an injury history and Betts getting one game to himself for no reason last year as well.

06.04 Jimmy Smith Jac/7

08.04 T.J. Houshmandzadeh Cin/10

07.09 Charles Rogers Det/3

15.09 David Patten Was/3

12.04 Ronald Curry Oak/5

22.04 Dennis Northcutt Cle/4

17.09 Matt Jones Jac/7

I think this is a pretty weak group overall. Smith is consistent, but he's getting up there and I like him more as a WR2/3. Housh has a lot of talented guys behind him in Warrick, Washington, and Henry. Rogers we haven't gotten that much of a look at yet, but I think he'll have some big weeks at the least. Patten is good for where you picked him - he's a starter. Curry I don't care for too much - he's injured and WR3 at this point (I know, Porter's injured too). I think he's talented, I just don't know if he'll have much of an opportunity. Still, he could kill some nickel back in a few games. Northcutt is a good pick IMO - every year he heads into the season as WR4 or so, but he keeps putting up decent stats. I don't like Matt Jones. He could get some TDs, but I'm not sure he'll see the field much.

04.04 Jason Witten Dal/9

16.04 Jeb Putzier Den/9

21.09 Heath Miller Pit/4

I didn't understand the Miller pick at the time, but now that I see the bye week issue, it makes sense. I really like this group, but of course it took three roster spots.

20.04 Nate Kaeding SD/10

19.09 Rian Lindell Buf/9

Not great here, but not terrible. Lindell's hold on the starting job is stronger than it was early in the offseason, but I still don't think he's got it totally locked up.

11.09 Buffalo Buf/9

18.04 Chicago Chi/4

Buffalo should be great in this scoring system (and I think it was late enough to take the top defenses - that's why I took Baltimore in the same round). Chicago is underrated as a defense. Nice job here.
Thanks for the write up Tick. I agree with you. The WR group is a bit suspect but I think there are a couple of guys that will surprise, namely Rogers, as I have him top 15. I found myself scrambling at the RB spot after taking Manning in the 2nd. But all in all I think if health prevails this team could surprise.

In the 20th and 22nd rounds I choice Heiden and Shea of Cleveland.
:X why not just take a better backup tightend earlier?
Because either one really isn't a starter or a backup. It's kind of a 2 for 1 deal. I know if a TD is thrown in Cleveland to a TE, I'll get it. If one gets hurt, I'll still have a starter. I'll see how it works out........it was the 20 and 22nd round pick. I bet you those picks outscore Pollard, that's the sad part.

I don't know how they matched up from game to game, but:| Steve Heiden | 13 | 28 287 10.2 5 || Keith Heinrich | 7 | 1 1 1.0 0 || Chad Mustard | 7 | 1 9 9.0 0 || Aaron Shea | 15 | 26 252 9.7 4 || Kellen Winslow Jr | 2 | 5 50 10.0 0 9 TDs from those two dorks.

I don't know how they matched up from game to game, but:

| Steve Heiden        | 13 |  28  287  10.2  5 |

| Keith Heinrich      |  7 |    1    1  1.0  0 |

| Chad Mustard        |  7 |    1    9  9.0  0 |

| Aaron Shea          | 15 |  26  252  9.7  4 |

| Kellen Winslow Jr    |  2 |    5    50  10.0  0

9 TDs from those two dorks.
Exactly..........who's backup TE is going to score 9 Td's?? Yep, it took me 2 picks........but they were also 20 and 22nd. I don't know, we'll see. Dilfer just looks like the kind of guy who likes his Te's too.If I remember correct, he loved throwing to Shannon Sharpe that year they won the Super Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if the TE was one of his favorite options again this year too. Shea and Heiden baby, you got to love it.

I don't know how they matched up from game to game, but:

| Steve Heiden         | 13 |   28   287  10.2   5 |

| Keith Heinrich       |  7 |    1     1   1.0   0 |

| Chad Mustard         |  7 |    1     9   9.0   0 |

| Aaron Shea           | 15 |   26   252   9.7   4 |

| Kellen Winslow Jr    |  2 |    5    50  10.0   0

9 TDs from those two dorks.
Exactly..........who's backup TE is going to score 9 Td's?? Yep, it took me 2 picks........but they were also 20 and 22nd. I don't know, we'll see. Dilfer just looks like the kind of guy who likes his Te's too.If I remember correct, he loved throwing to Shannon Sharpe that year they won the Super Bowl. I wouldn't be surprised if the TE was one of his favorite options again this year too. Shea and Heiden baby, you got to love it.
I think it's a solid play if you wait until the 20th round to do it, but I think you can get similar production using one less roster spot.I did it with Troupe/Kinney so I understand the logic, but I was guarding against Troupe's injury to an extent and I believe the Titans are going to use their TEs a bit more.

It'll be interesting to see how that works out for you.

Any comments on my NO RB/QB connection? This is the first time I've gone that route. Figured that I'll at least get a good number posted from one of them each week.I really wanted to pair Branch/Givens, Moss/Patten, Booker/Boston...but was unable to accomplish that in a timely manner.

I'll return the favor for you guys....LHUCKS Player YTD Pts Bye Drafted Brady, Tom NEP QB - 7 8.07 McNabb, Donovan PHI QB - 6 4.07 McNabb was a solid value at 4.7. Past results indicate two QBs is optimal for survivor if they're mid to upper mid tier caliber. With the bye weeks outside of the single elimination periods, Lhucks could ride out an injury and a bye together. QB scoring is watered down in this format. Barber, Marion DAL RB - 9 19.06 Barber, Tiki NYG RB - 5 1.06 Davenport, Najeh GBP RB - 6 15.06 Green, Ahman GBP RB - 6 2.07 Suggs, Lee CLE RB - 4 6.07 Williams, Ricky MIA RB - 4 10.07These backs personally don't excite me, but I there will likely be three starters in this group. I'm not sold on Ricky even though I have a vested fantasy interest in him. I will pose this question to Lhucks...Why Davenport over Fisher in a ppr league (yeah, I made the same choice but solely for diversification)? Fisher had a catch in every game and his ypc were on par with Davenport as I recall. If Green goes down, I would still expect that Fisher would outscore Davenport by a little bit. Booker, Marty MIA WR - 4 17.06 Bruce, Isaac STL WR - 9 5.06 Galloway, Joey TBB WR - 7 11.06 Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 9 13.06 Horn, Joe NOS WR - 10 3.06 Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 7.06 Taylor, Travis MIN WR - 5 16.07 Very strong top 5, but you may see some wear on these tires this year. Curious why you went Booker over Boston. I did the same thing but was targetting Boston on the way back...Boston was lower on Shicks! rankings and I didn't know where Yudkin stood on the subject. Taylor will be the deciding factor if this group turns out to be dominate.Clark, Dallas IND TE - 8 9.06 Kinney, Erron TEN TE - 10 22.07 Troupe, Ben TEN TE - 10 12.07The Tenn handcuff was very sharkish in this format. You already know how much I like Clark as I have him in half my leagues. I would expect you to finish in the top 3 at this position. Nugent, Mike NYJ PK - 8 18.07 Rackers, Neil ARI PK - 6 20.07 Two kickers on a roster...mission accomplishedChargers, San Diego SDC Def - 10 21.06 Panthers, Carolina CAR Def - 7 14.07Panthers will score cery well some weeks and the Chargers return all 11 from last year.This is close to an upper tier team and should make the merge. The team is a little bit long in the tooth for my personal tastes. I really don't see any strategic errors in Lhuck's draft.

Booker, Marty MIA WR - 4 17.06

Bruce, Isaac STL WR - 9 5.06

Galloway, Joey TBB WR - 7 11.06

Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 9 13.06

Horn, Joe NOS WR - 10 3.06

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 7.06

Taylor, Travis MIN WR - 5 16.07

Very strong top 5, but you may see some wear on these tires this year.  Curious why you went Booker over Boston. 
Next question.

I will pose this question to Lhucks...Why Davenport over Fisher in a ppr league (yeah, I made the same choice but solely for diversification)?  Fisher had a catch in every game and his ypc were on par with Davenport as I recall.  If Green goes down, I would still expect that Fisher would outscore Davenport by a little bit.
Despite last year's dataset, I believe Davenport will score more points if Green goes down because he is the primary backup and has more talent than does Fisher...Davenport is more likely to be heavily relied upon IMHO.
Booker, Marty MIA WR - 4 17.06

Bruce, Isaac STL WR - 9 5.06

Galloway, Joey TBB WR - 7 11.06

Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 9 13.06

Horn, Joe NOS WR - 10 3.06

Kennison, Eddie KCC WR - 5 7.06

Taylor, Travis MIN WR - 5 16.07

Very strong top 5, but you may see some wear on these tires this year.  Curious why you went Booker over Boston.  I did the same thing but was targetting Boston on the way back...Boston was lower on Shicks! rankings and I didn't know where Yudkin stood on the subject.  Taylor will be the deciding factor if this group turns out to be dominate.
I agree that Taylor will be the difference between good or great for this group. I like Booker more than Boston...he was the starter when we drafted and I still believe Booker is an above average NFL WR talent wise. I like him as my WR#7 and hope that Gus can get the pigskin to him consistently. I was also considering a third defense with this pick.

My WR strategy was to go after guys I believe will have high standard deviations... there are mathematical advanatages in doing so IMHO. I purposely avoided the Keyshawns and went after the Galloways.

Clark, Dallas IND TE - 8 9.06

Kinney, Erron TEN TE - 10 22.07

Troupe, Ben TEN TE - 10 12.07

The Tenn handcuff was very sharkish in this format.  You already know how much I like Clark as I have him in half my leagues.  I would expect you to finish in the top 3 at this position.
This group still makes me feel uneasy as none of them have ever been a fantasy force. TE was very low on the priority list, and given where I drafted these guys this is about as good as I could have expected. I really wanted Pollard instead of the Tennessee guys, but I held out too long. I also considered drafting Kris Wilson whom nobody drafted I believe.
Chargers, San Diego SDC Def - 10 21.06

Panthers, Carolina CAR Def - 7 14.07

Panthers will score very well some weeks and the Chargers return all 11 from last year.
The Chargers may have the most underrated defense...it used to be the Cardinals but now everybody is talking about the Cards as they seem to be the media darling. I expect the Chargers to surpass expectations this year defensively. They looked very good against St. Louis recently.
This is close to an upper tier team and should make the merge.  The team is a little bit long in the tooth for my personal tastes.  I really don't see any strategic errors in Lhuck's draft.
Long in the tooth? Why?
75% of your squad has already had their "career year". You seem heavily weighted with guys at the tail end of their prime. Not really a knock, just an observation.

75% of your squad has already had their "career year".  You seem heavily weighted with guys at the tail end of their prime.  Not really a knock, just an observation.
Yeah, I thought "long in the tooth" meant something else. :bag:

Here you go:Bulger, Marc STL QB 9 5.08

Harrington, Joey DET QB 3 9.08

Warner, Kurt ARI QB 6 10.05

Jackson, Steven STL RB 9 2.05

Barlow, Kevan SFO RB 6 4.05

Bettis, Jerome PIT RB 4 6.05

Duckett, T.J. ATL RB 8 7.08

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 5 12.05

Taylor, Chester BAL RB 3 15.08

Moss, Randy OAK WR 5 1.08

Wayne, Reggie IND WR 8 3.08

Curtis, Kevin STL WR 9 13.08

Patten, David WAS WR 3 14.05

Boston, David MIA WR 4 16.05

Johnson, Bryant ARI WR 6 17.08

McDonald, Shaun STL WR 9 18.05

Heap, Todd BAL TE 3 8.05

Smith, L.J. PHI TE 6 11.08

Carney, John NOS PK 10 19.08

Peterson, Todd ATL PK 8 20.05

Rams, St. Louis STL Def 9 22.05

Texans, Houston HOU Def 3 21.08

Team Unlucky...Here you go:Bulger, Marc STL QB 9 5.08Harrington, Joey DET QB 3 9.08Warner, Kurt ARI QB 6 10.05Absolutely love these three in this format. I wouldn't be surprised to see Unlucky finish in the top 3 at the QB position. That said, he dearly overpaid for this luxary and will fee the consequences elsewhere.Jackson, Steven STL RB 9 2.05Barlow, Kevan SFO RB 6 4.05Bettis, Jerome PIT RB 4 6.05Duckett, T.J. ATL RB 8 7.08Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 5 12.05Taylor, Chester BAL RB 3 15.08Two starters and a slew of TD vultures. I definately see some rough weeks during Jackson's and Barlow's byes, not to mention there's little chance of a big flex number coming here.Moss, Randy OAK WR 5 1.08Wayne, Reggie IND WR 8 3.08Curtis, Kevin STL WR 9 13.08Patten, David WAS WR 3 14.05Boston, David MIA WR 4 16.05Johnson, Bryant ARI WR 6 17.08McDonald, Shaun STL WR 9 18.05Two studs and 5 hail marys. Those weeks where Stokley goes off and Wayne is relatively dorment will be brutal. If you catch the right injury or two in the season some of these backups could blossom. Between your RB/WR position, I seeing you spotting flex points to most everyone in the league.Heap, Todd BAL TE 3 8.05Smith, L.J. PHI TE 6 11.08Top notch pairing here, should make up for defenciencies elsewhereCarney, John NOS PK 10 19.08Peterson, Todd ATL PK 8 20.05Two starters, mission accomplished.Rams, St. Louis STL Def 9 22.05Texans, Houston HOU Def 3 21.08Do we get points for most points and yards allowed? Looks like you went out of your way to get the two worst defenses in the league. That said, in this format it really won't matter.This should be a fun team to watch. On paper, it doesn't look that great, but if you peel back the onion, there's a lot of potential and talent lurking. The impact of picking a WR/WR/QB in the first five rounds is clearly shown in the outcome of this roster. You really have no margin for error. Bye weeks were handled very well.

I always love a good flogging . . .Collins, Kerry OAK QB - 5 6.11 Vick, Michael ATL QB - 8 7.02 Warner, Kurt ARI QB - 6 10.11 Anderson, Mike DEN RB - 9 9.02 Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 5 1.02 Moats, Ryan PHI RB - 6 21.02 Moore, Mewelde MIN RB - 5 8.11 Pearman, Alvin JAC RB - 7 22.11 Taylor, Fred JAC RB - 7 4.11 Boston, David MIA WR - 4 16.11 Clayton, Mark BAL WR - 3 15.02 Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - 4 14.11 Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 9 12.11 Harrison, Marvin IND WR - 8 2.11 Owens, Terrell PHI WR - 6 3.02 Williams, Roy DET WR - 3 5.02 Watson, Ben NEP TE - 7 18.11 Wiggins, Jermaine MIN TE - 5 11.02 Brown, Josh SEA PK - 8 17.02 Scobee, Josh JAC PK - 7 20.11 Bengals, Cincinnati CIN Def - 10 19.02 Patriots, New England NEP Def - 7 13.02

I always love a good flogging . . .Collins, Kerry OAK QB - 5 6.11

Vick, Michael ATL QB - 8 7.02

Warner, Kurt ARI QB - 6 10.11

Anderson, Mike DEN RB - 9 9.02

Holmes, Priest KCC RB - 5 1.02

Moats, Ryan PHI RB - 6 21.02

Moore, Mewelde MIN RB - 5 8.11

Pearman, Alvin JAC RB - 7 22.11

Taylor, Fred JAC RB - 7 4.11

Boston, David MIA WR - 4 16.11

Clayton, Mark BAL WR - 3 15.02

Edwards, Braylon CLE WR - 4 14.11

Glenn, Terry DAL WR - 9 12.11

Harrison, Marvin IND WR - 8 2.11

Owens, Terrell PHI WR - 6 3.02

Williams, Roy DET WR - 3 5.02

Watson, Ben NEP TE - 7 18.11

Wiggins, Jermaine MIN TE - 5 11.02

Brown, Josh SEA PK - 8 17.02

Scobee, Josh JAC PK - 7 20.11

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN Def - 10 19.02

Patriots, New England NEP Def - 7 13.02
I'll trade you teams straight up. I'm not going to break this one down as you're loaded everywhere. You should probably submit this to Dodds for his perfect draft article. Hopefully immunity can't be won in back to back weeks otherwise no one else in the league will sniff it. In addition to a lot of astute drafting, you were the beneficery of some major gifts. Cowboy should have snagged Owens at the turn. I would have taken him before you but I'm already Owens heavy in several leagues and can't risk a mental breaksown killing my entire fantasy year...plus based on the previous staff draft I thought he might slide back to me. Someone should have grabbed Taylor a bit earlier based on some of the running attacks I see in this league. Really the messageboard's best hope at stopping you is a collection of injuries during the year. Hopefully 2 of the Priest/Anderson/Taylor combo go down and Bennett retains the RB position in Minny. No LJ is your only achilles heel. Even then your WRs could carry your team.

Don't we get to see commentary for the staff/messageboard leagues? I particularly enjoyed Joe T's dry comments last year, and was looking forward to the same this year, but all we get is a draft Q&A.

Don't we get to see commentary for the staff/messageboard leagues? I particularly enjoyed Joe T's dry comments last year, and was looking forward to the same this year, but all we get is a draft Q&A.
Q&A is all we were responsible for this year.

Users who are viewing this thread