What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stafford (1 Viewer)

SofaKings.

Footballguy
According to Schwartz there is no timetable on his return. He'll be back when he can make his throws. Will be on injury report this week. He'll be reevaluated on wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network just said "organization bracing for 4-6 and possibly more like 8" weeks without Stafford

For a guy who looked like his throwing arm was in a sling I would think he would not be making his next start.

Jason LaCanfora on NFL Network just said "organization bracing for 4-6 and possibly more like 8" weeks without Stafford
Schwartz did not get into specifics about the injury other than to say it was a "shoulder" when pressed by pc attendees.

I commented on this in the Game Thread.

But this is huge in the development of Stafford as a QB. This is the second significant injury to him in his young career. This has hindered his game time experience which is essential to a QB and has lowered his confidence: in both his ability to stay healthy, his OL, his arm strength(it could be affected). I hope this isn't the case, but this could be a huge deal in the development of Stafford.

Per Rotoworld:

Lions coach Jim Schwartz conceded Monday that Matthew Stafford (shoulder) is out indefinitely, but confirmed that he will not need surgery.

"We’ve had some good returns from his tests, and it doesn’t look like surgery is going to be needed," said Schwartz. "But how much time he misses is still going to be up in the air. We don't want to rush him back." Schwartz admitted that Stafford's future "is worth consideration for sure," indicating that the team will approach his return cautiously. He may be out until November.

ETA - The bolded is all speculation by Rotoworld at this point

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is, he hasn't got any shoulders remaining. Last year it was his left, this year it was his right.

Next year he'll be good to go.

Per ESPN

Matthew Stafford will not need surgery

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz says Matthew Stafford's injured right shoulder won't need surgery.

Schwartz said Monday there's no timetable on Stafford's return.

The second-year quarterback was knocked out of the season opener when Chicago's Julius Peppers sacked him Sunday.

Stafford said after the game he would try to play in Week 2 at home against Philadelphia. Schwartz says Stafford was very sore on Monday, but got good returns from tests.

Shaun Hill started the third quarter in place of Stafford and appeared to make a game-winning throw to Calvin Johnson, but it was ruled incomplete.
Week 2? Hmm.

Huge loss for the Lions. I thought this was going to be a nice year for him and that team.

To be out up to 8 weeks without surgery means a medium grade seperation or deep bruise (I am no doctor just specualtion). The hit was pretty bad with all of Peppers weight on him. I am amazed he does not need any surgery to re-attach anything. He dodged a bullet there.

Per ESPN

Matthew Stafford will not need surgery

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz says Matthew Stafford's injured right shoulder won't need surgery.

Schwartz said Monday there's no timetable on Stafford's return.

The second-year quarterback was knocked out of the season opener when Chicago's Julius Peppers sacked him Sunday.

Stafford said after the game he would try to play in Week 2 at home against Philadelphia. Schwartz says Stafford was very sore on Monday, but got good returns from tests.

Shaun Hill started the third quarter in place of Stafford and appeared to make a game-winning throw to Calvin Johnson, but it was ruled incomplete.
Week 2? Hmm.
I don't think this should be given much credence against more recent reports. I think we can safely expect Stafford to be out a minimum of three weeks.

I commented on this in the Game Thread.But this is huge in the development of Stafford as a QB. This is the second significant injury to him in his young career. This has hindered his game time experience which is essential to a QB and has lowered his confidence: in both his ability to stay healthy, his OL, his arm strength(it could be affected). I hope this isn't the case, but this could be a huge deal in the development of Stafford.
With respect, I would disagree with this based on last year's Cleveland game and in fact the season overall. The kid is a fighter and will mount a comeback. Now if this were Joey Harrington...

I commented on this in the Game Thread.But this is huge in the development of Stafford as a QB. This is the second significant injury to him in his young career. This has hindered his game time experience which is essential to a QB and has lowered his confidence: in both his ability to stay healthy, his OL, his arm strength(it could be affected). I hope this isn't the case, but this could be a huge deal in the development of Stafford.
With respect, I would disagree with this based on last year's Cleveland game and in fact the season overall. The kid is a fighter and will mount a comeback. Now if this were Joey Harrington...
Phil Simms was oft-injured his first few seasons before he finally broke through and became one of the best QB's of his time.

Interesting Quotes:

According to a report on NFL.com, Stafford may miss 4-6 weeks with the injury. “I can’t really speak” on that report, Stafford said. “I don’t really know what I’m going to miss. I don’t know if any.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20100913/SPOR...gery-not-needed

"While the Detroit Lions refuse to put a timetable on his possible return, coach Jim Schwartz said today that quarterback Matthew Stafford did not sustain a serious injury in Detroit's 19-14 loss to the Chicago Bears on Sunday."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/...jury_is_no.html

IMO: Purely speculation, but Stafford knows more about his injury than any of us (clearly) and if he's even hinting at playing next week, then it might not be as bad as some of us are thinking. Also the coach saying it's "not a serious injury" in encouraging. As someone said earlier, this kid's a fighter, and he could surprise us and come back pretty quick

Adam_Schefter

QB Matthew Stafford has second-degree separated shoulder; planning to visit Dr. James Andrews as early as this week. Out this week at least.

Eli Manning had the same injury if I recall and he didn't miss a game. The Lions may take a more cautious approach but you never know.

identikit said:
Absolutely irresponsible speculation from NFL network.I was watching and they teased updated information from the Lions coach on Stafford. Came back from break and showed the coaches news conference where he said good news there will be no need of surgery. The coach neither gave any details as to the nature of the injury nor a timetable, yet the NFL people say that he will be out 4-6 weeks...hey maybe even 8 !!! (and then put up a 4-6 week message on the screen). It left me wondering if the NFL announcers watched a different press conference than I did.

PhantomJB said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Oh I completely agree...that was an amazing game. But two years in a row like this scares me....wasn't Alex Smith hurt like this two years in a row? I can't remember. I think Stafford has the talent to be a solid QB...yesterday he looked off the saftey for a good completion...those little things make a good QB. But will his shoulder's be solid? Will his mentality change? Etc.

Sweetness_34 said:
Addai said:
The season is over for the Lions unless there is a Kurt Warner kind of story with Shaun Hill.
So you actually thought you were going to the playoffs this year?
You can laugh now, but you guys almost lost to Shaun Hill :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PhantomJB said:
...he would be already laughing on his way to the bank. Heard him over the summer on some show and I never listened to a more content washout in my life. Guy will probably have less pains in his joints at age 50 than I will after my illustrious 28 game DIII ice hockey career.

Just a note for the internet doctors out there.

A separated shoulder and dislocated shoulder are very different.

A separated shoulder is a ligament issue (stretch or tear) while a dislocated shoulder (generally more serious) is where your upper arm pops out of the shoulder joint.

Sweetness_34 said:
Addai said:
The season is over for the Lions unless there is a Kurt Warner kind of story with Shaun Hill.
So you actually thought you were going to the playoffs this year?
You can laugh now, but you guys almost lost to Shaun Hill :yes: :cry: ;)
So true and that was their home opener. :D C'mon though you gotta let him get his shots in before the Bears loose almost all of the rest of their games. After hearing about Stafford talking about maybe playing in week two has me believing that he'd pick a fight with Chuck Norris. However, you have to figure that for him to be able to play that fast it means the Lions will catch a break and we all know the cosmos just wont let that happen. Here's hoping I remember that at next years drafts. ;)

The only question now is drop him for Vick or V Young.

I keep buying into the Calvin/Stafford/Lions O hype and not sure why.

PhantomJB said:
Oh I completely agree...that was an amazing game. But two years in a row like this scares me....wasn't Alex Smith hurt like this two years in a row? I can't remember. I think Stafford has the talent to be a solid QB...yesterday he looked off the saftey for a good completion...those little things make a good QB. But will his shoulder's be solid? Will his mentality change? Etc.
Didn't seem to bother Sam Bradford.

The only question now is drop him for Vick or V Young.
I have the same issue. I had drafted Ben and paired him with Stafford. Fortunately I also grabbed Orton late, so I do not need to panic. But having Orton as my only healthy/active QB until week 6 is not particularly comforting. But I don't want to give up on Stafford yet.

I think this pretty much kills Stafford, forever. He has lost tons of time due to injury, and by the time next season rolls around he will have played something like 14 games in 2 seasons. He can't develop watching film. Of course he will try to play injured, maybe pull out a gritty win, and the Lions will ride him into his fourth season, while only winning 8 games in 3 years. Then the Lions will draft ANOTHER QB.

Same as it ever was.

I think this pretty much kills Stafford, forever. He has lost tons of time due to injury, and by the time next season rolls around he will have played something like 14 games in 2 seasons. He can't develop watching film. Of course he will try to play injured, maybe pull out a gritty win, and the Lions will ride him into his fourth season, while only winning 8 games in 3 years. Then the Lions will draft ANOTHER QB.Same as it ever was.
Has he officially been ruled out for 6-8 weeks?

I think this pretty much kills Stafford, forever. He has lost tons of time due to injury, and by the time next season rolls around he will have played something like 14 games in 2 seasons. He can't develop watching film. Of course he will try to play injured, maybe pull out a gritty win, and the Lions will ride him into his fourth season, while only winning 8 games in 3 years. Then the Lions will draft ANOTHER QB.Same as it ever was.
Has he officially been ruled out for 6-8 weeks?
I don't care what has been announced. He is broken.

...he would be already laughing on his way to the bank. Heard him over the summer on some show and I never listened to a more content washout in my life. Guy will probably have less pains in his joints at age 50 than I will after my illustrious 28 game DIII ice hockey career.
And his money spends just as easily as Stafford's. Good for him. After hearing so much about late-in-life injuries for NFL players, I understand why Robert Smith of the Vikings called it quits so early.

Users who are viewing this thread