What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower (1 Viewer)

Hard for fans not to expect much and that's the problem with these types of adaptions. Huge King fan, Huge DT fan and I had high hopes for it about five years ago. At this point I just hope I don't come out hating it. What really concerns me is that King, Bev Vincent, and Robin Furth are saying how great it is and almost everyone else is saying it blows. I guess I am being naive (except for with King) but I trust Vincent and Furth when it comes to their reviews and writings.
They are too deeply involved in all of this to be objective. 

Hard for fans not to expect much and that's the problem with these types of adaptions. Huge King fan, Huge DT fan and I had high hopes for it about five years ago. At this point I just hope I don't come out hating it. What really concerns me is that King, Bev Vincent, and Robin Furth are saying how great it is and almost everyone else is saying it blows. I guess I am being naive (except for with King) but I trust Vincent and Furth when it comes to their reviews and writings.
The reviews seem to say they shrunk down the material enough to tick off long-time fans and thoroughly confuse people new to it.

The reviews seem to say they shrunk down the material enough to tick off long-time fans and thoroughly confuse people new to it.
I think the powers behind this have done a poor job explaining exactly what this one film is trying to do. Some of that is because it's changed creative hands so much. But I read several reviewers who thought this was the entire story King told in 7 (8+) novels and the story is over other than some nebulous flashback TV episodes. Whoever was in charge of marketing should be fired.

I only read the first book and part of the second. I went in with very tempered expectations.

My 12 yo daughter and I really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. Good pace. Decent special effects. Yes, the story was different but it needed to be because of the disjointed short stories that made up "The Gunslinger" book. As movies go I'd say it was a "good" movie for what it's trying to be. Maybe 3/5* or 3.5/5*.

My daughter didn't read the books but saw the trailer. She totally understood the movie and loved it. We had fun.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and we'll see where they bring the series next.

Listened to a couple podcasts that were pretty 'meh' on it.  Seems like the main points for them were:  felt YA-ish, you could tell there were too many hands involved, oddly short, and didn't seem to love Matt M (I guess he had never read the books?). 

Listened to a couple podcasts that were pretty 'meh' on it.  Seems like the main points for them were:  felt YA-ish, you could tell there were too many hands involved, oddly short, and didn't seem to love Matt M (I guess he had never read the books?). 
If you are a fan of the book series I have no idea how you can watch this and say .. "Great Dark Tower movie!".  At its best and if you don't associate the books with it, its a mildly entertaining sci-fi fantasy movie. It throws enough nods to the King universe to give King fans those little moments of glee but thats about it. 

If you are a fan of the book series I have no idea how you can watch this and say .. "Great Dark Tower movie!".  At its best and if you don't associate the books with it, its a mildly entertaining sci-fi fantasy movie. It throws enough nods to the King universe to give King fans those little moments of glee but thats about it. 
How about people coming in completely cold?  I have a vague outline of the story but would basically be walking in fresh.  Worth a matinee?

(as a reference, I caught a matinee of "The Last Witch Hunter" and it was ok...didn't feel ripped off, caught a matinee of "RIPD" and wished everyone involved would get a mild case of cholera)

How about people coming in completely cold?  I have a vague outline of the story but would basically be walking in fresh.  Worth a matinee?

(as a reference, I caught a matinee of "The Last Witch Hunter" and it was ok...didn't feel ripped off, caught a matinee of "RIPD" and wished everyone involved would get a mild case of cholera)
My wife said she liked it. She may have been trying to placate me, but she insisted she thought for an "action" movie it was decent. 

Statorama said:

Yes. 

Just saw it. I was entertained, but I've read the books. I don't know how you could go in cold and understand it. It was kind of a mess. 

Just saw it. I was entertained, but I've read the books. I don't know how you could go in cold and understand it. It was kind of a mess. 
My 12 yo daughter understood it and loved it. But she is extraordinary. 

Let's not act like this movie is Inception. 

Not great but not bad. I read the books years ago and felt like the movie rushed into the story a bit much (reminded me of how people think GOT is rushing this season). 

I think they did a good job keeping the pace up and telling enough of the story to keep the interest of people who haven't read the books but the end came rather sudden. 

You said you didn't know how someone who went in cold could understand it. What's so difficult to understand? Maybe use spoiler tags if necessary. 
Ya I went with my wife who doesn't follow complicated movies well. She did fine here :shrug:

One (of many) things I think some of the reviewers don't understand is that this isn't the entire story. I've read a ton of variations on "they distilled 4,000 pages down to THIS?". No, they didn't. 

I'm still not sure why the people who are running this thing went the way they did (lack of marketing, TV-vs-movies, etc...), but I think most of the criticisms are in the wrong places.

One (of many) things I think some of the reviewers don't understand is that this isn't the entire story. I've read a ton of variations on "they distilled 4,000 pages down to THIS?". No, they didn't. 

I'm still not sure why the people who are running this thing went the way they did (lack of marketing, TV-vs-movies, etc...), but I think most of the criticisms are in the wrong places.
So does the movie pick up from after the last book or is it about the 1st book?

You said you didn't know how someone who went in cold could understand it. What's so difficult to understand? Maybe use spoiler tags if necessary. 
I didn't think it was complicated, but I thought it was kind of a mess. Maybe I'm not giving people enough credit. 

Saw it today with my 24 yr old daughter (read the books) and 17 year old son (didn't read the books).   It was "ok".  Not great, not bad.  That's the best I can really describe it.  I didn't walk out angry, so there's that.

Is Roland carrying the trombone from Book VII?  If so, I'm good with anything, cause Ka is a wheel.  If not, well.....

Evilgrin 72 said:
Have you seen it? I'm still on the fence and was actually hoping you'd pop in with a review at some point. You and JTG are two people whose opinions I'd really like to read.
Totally turned off by the trailer. I don't have much desire to see it actually.

If you can get over that it is loosely based on the the books and does not come anywhere close to the same path, it is a good movie. 

Calling this a sequel allows for a lot of variation with the story,  but as an avid fan of the series as it slowly came out, I have a few complaints:

First, they replaced (some) of the super natural with science fiction (portals).

Second, this movie is the story of Jake, not Roland.

Last, Roland never "forgot" his quest for the Dark Tower, even in the first book when chasing down Walter.

In the end, if they can develop a method to completely tell the next attempt at the Tower, I'll be happy. I'm afraid they took too many liberties with the story that this will be the only part we get.

Saw it a couple days ago.  I knew absolutely nothing about this story going in.

I thought it was pretty "meh".  Wish I woulda waited for it to come out on DVD.  

My wife liked it, so there's that.

facook said:
Is Roland carrying the trombone from Book VII?  If so, I'm good with anything, cause Ka is a wheel.  If not, well.....
It's not specifically stated, nor obvious, but you see what could be part of a horn attached to his pack at the very end of the film.

Saw it yesterday and can echo the general feedback given so far.   The pace feels extremely rushed, absolutely feels like they were trying to cram everything in to an hour and a half, which is obviously very difficult to do and compromises the story.  

It definitely felt more like an action movie then a character driven movie which is unfortunate as the characters are what make the book.  And this is where it misses the mark for me the most. It's not the changes that were made or that it didn't follow the storyline. It's that it didn't capture the spirit of the books.   

I'm really hoping the new "It" lives up to it's potential as that was alway my favorite King book.  

Saw it yesterday and can echo the general feedback given so far.   The pace feels extremely rushed, absolutely feels like they were trying to cram everything in to an hour and a half, which is obviously very difficult to do and compromises the story.  

It definitely felt more like an action movie then a character driven movie which is unfortunate as the characters are what make the book.  And this is where it misses the mark for me the most. It's not the changes that were made or that it didn't follow the storyline. It's that it didn't capture the spirit of the books.   

I'm really hoping the new "It" lives up to it's potential as that was alway my favorite King book.  
Me too, but not a huge fan that it's going to be a 2-parter and this one is just the kids.

Never read any of the books. Went in blind, no clue about the story line. Went with wife who has trouble following the plot of "Run, dog, run!" And we both enjoyed it. Had zero issues following the plot. Was a pleasant surprise.

Me too, but not a huge fan that it's going to be a 2-parter and this one is just the kids.
I'd rather that then the option of hyper compression ala the DT movie seems to be. 

Having watched several movies this week and seeing the IT preview over and over, I'm worried it will take the base material and turn it into a jump scare fest.  I think the material is much more suited to mood and helpless dread vs BOO!

Finished the books on tape last week and then re-watched the movie.

On one level, if you wanted a stand-alone action movie loosely based on the Dark Tower books, it was done well. IF you wanted to tell the entire 7 book story of The Dark Tower in a 90 minute movie. But, if you wanted to set the the stage for the Dark Tower Universe for future movies/mini-series.etc, it was a totally wasted opportunity. Actors were fantastic, especially McConaughey really understood the Man in Black character. But, we don't find out many elements that were presented in the film until book 6 or 7 (Can-Toi with fake faces, portals with programmable destinations, the Sayer character, psychic bombardment directly on the Tower (not beams, ugh)), yet they're crammed into a 90 minute movie.

Other than Eddie and Susannah, the only things missing are Stephen King heavy self-insertion and the final journey to the Dark Tower.

My wife watched it with me for the first time, her comment was that she felt she joined the movie mid-story. I told her that was true, it's just the books take the time to tell you the back-story.

Total ruined opportunity.

Also, the horn is carried in Roland's gunna (backpack), visible at several points during the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread