What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STOCK TIP: Best Buy (BBY) (1 Viewer)

'proninja said:
How do you feel about Olive Garden futures?
This is worse than having a gift card to the Olive Garden. Anybody want this thing?
Seriously, why do you guys keep mentioning Olive Garden? I work there. Are you watching me?Best Buy stock is now sitting at: $18.75.

It was $15.29 when I started this thread and $11.57 when I first advising people to buy it.
Would it be safe to say it is still at an all time low?
Approximately.
Well ####.

I'm posting this again because I believe there is an opportunity to make money. This is the very basic principle of "buy low, sell high".
What was the share price the last time you advised us to purchase it?
$11.57.It's currently $15.29.
Good enough for me. I'm in for three racks.
This would have bought you about 196 shares at a profit of $5.23 per share.196 x $5.23 = $1,025

CHOO CHOO

EDIT: Not bad for a month's worth of investment, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm posting this again because I believe there is an opportunity to make money. This is the very basic principle of "buy low, sell high".
What was the share price the last time you advised us to purchase it?
$11.57.It's currently $15.29.
Good enough for me. I'm in for three racks.
This would have bought you about 196 shares at a profit of $5.23 per share.196 x $5.23 = $1,025

CHOO CHOO

EDIT: Not bad for a month's worth of investment, eh?
Watching my BBY closely, but :moneybag: right now.

'Eminence said:
Pretty much, if you were to purchase $5,000 worth of Best Buy right now it would get you about 250 shares.If you held these shares for a year at a Tax Rate of about 15%, in order to break even Best Buy must be trading at AT LEAST $23.00 per share.https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ABBYLook at the stock history, it RARELY dips below $23.00 (seriously, draw a line at $23.00 and tell me how often it is below that line) and historically reaches peaks of about $40.00 a share.EDIT: THIS IS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION YOU ARE IN THE 28% INCOME TAX BRACKET.
Approximately 28% tax bracket of course

'Eminence said:
Pretty much, if you were to purchase $5,000 worth of Best Buy right now it would get you about 250 shares.

If you held these shares for a year at a Tax Rate of about 15%, in order to break even Best Buy must be trading at AT LEAST $23.00 per share.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3ABBY

Look at the stock history, it RARELY dips below $23.00 (seriously, draw a line at $23.00 and tell me how often it is below that line) and historically reaches peaks of about $40.00 a share.

EDIT: THIS IS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION YOU ARE IN THE 28% INCOME TAX BRACKET.
Approximately 28% tax bracket of course
Ok smart asses, if we use the last ten-years as the frame of reference:https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:BBY

THE LOWEST BEST BUY'S STOCK HAS BEEN IS $11.29.

When I first made this thread, it was trading at $15.29 and over the past ten-years this stock has gone as high as about $58.00 and REGULARLY trades at about $30.00 or more.

The difference between the price at the time $15.29 and the absolute low of $11.29 was $4.00.

The difference between the price at the time $15.29 and the historic high of $58.32 was $42.03.

The difference between the price at the time $15.29 and the average in which it trades for of $30.00 was $14.61.

So yes, when I started this thread the stock was at it's approximate low over the past ten-years.

Approximate - nearly correct or exact

EDIT: Unless you're simply trying to get a rise out of me. In which case, well done.

Looking at what Best Buy historically trades at is irrelevant. Best Buy has historically not been on its death bed. Enjoy the game of musical chairs while it lasts, just don't get stuck when the music stops.

I believe this is what they call a dead cat bounce. I still think its 50/50 that the company goes bankrupt. But hey, if you got in near $11/sh and have made some money, good for you.

Dead cat bounce-a small, brief recovery before the decline. Is a 100+% three month rise small or brief? I think Best Buy will die but this is looking like a recovery.

Generally I'm not a big fan of the pat your self on the back bumps.... but facts are facts. Well done and good call.

It's up to $29.58 today, there's rumors brewing that Best Buy is going to start leasing / renting out some of their retail spaces in-store to bigger companies like Microsoft, Samsung, and Google.

Pretty much, Best Buy has too much space in-store after downsizing their musical instrument sections, CD sections, etc. They have a lot of stores across the nation with extra space. For instance, in the store nearest to me there's a huge display being setup exclusively for Samsung to show-off and brag about their newest technology.

I'm getting strong vibes that it may hit over $40.00 a share.

Samsung already has a section in my local Best Buy. Two to three more people that will bother you when you look at their products. They moved the camera section over about 30 feet to make room for the Samsung section. They have a phone section, Samsung section manned by Samsung employees and an Apple section manned by zero Apple employees.

I'm done with Best Buy though. Last time I was in there, I was looking at the Surface tablet and a guy came over and stood three feet from me. Never said anything but watched me for the minute or so I was playing with it. Just stood there, no questions no talking, but stood over my shoulder. Best Buy doesn't have anything I need right away so I'm out.

I'm curious why Best Buy is not only still in business, but is apparently going up in value.

Do people still walk into their store to stand in line for an hour to buy something they could have bought online for cheaper and had delivered to their house for free?

I'm curious why Best Buy is not only still in business, but is apparently going up in value.

Do people still walk into their store to stand in line for an hour to buy something they could have bought online for cheaper and had delivered to their house for free?
Some people want to touch a product before buying it. In my opinion, Best Buy offers terrible prices and customer experience and carries extra costs that online stores just don't. Ultimately, it will go out of business. I wish those of you who bought their stock well, and ride the wave up while you can, but I wouldn't advise anyone to go too long with it. Eventually it will be eaten, its just a matter of time.

I don't go much...but its usually to test some things out before I do find it elsewhere.

Or if I need something that day and the price is pretty comparable.

Though, not sure what Best Buy you have gone to where you have ever had to stand in a line for an hour.

I don't go much...but its usually to test some things out before I do find it elsewhere.

Though, not sure what Best Buy you have gone to where you have ever had to stand in a line for an hour.
I live in a pretty large city, 3rd largest in my state, we only have one Best Buy and they only ever have one register going. It has a winding line thats maybe 20-30 yards long and I swear to god everytime I walk into that store (which is rare and only for emergencies) that line is out the back of the queue.

The Best Buy used to be nested in between the Circuit City and the Radio Shack, but theyre both gone now and I'm shocked every day I drive by that store and its still open.

I live in a pretty large city, 3rd largest in my state, we only have one Best Buy and they only ever have one register going. It has a winding line thats maybe 20-30 yards long and I swear to god everytime I walk into that store (which is rare and only for emergencies) that line is out the back of the queue.

The Best Buy used to be nested in between the Circuit City and the Radio Shack, but theyre both gone now and I'm shocked every day I drive by that store and its still open.
Well, if the line is that long, apparently plenty of people are willing to stand in line for an hour. What was the old Yogi Berra line, something like "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

I think the truth is, while BB's business model will eventually be obsolete and they will go under, we're still a ways away from that. The percentage of people who buy electronics online or who realize you can scan barcodes in the store from your smartphone and compare prices is still pretty darn low. In addition, many people are impatient. They are willing to pay more to get their TV now rather than have to wait for it to be delivered.

Went to Best Buy the other day to buy a shredder. They price matched Amazon with no problems. As long as they price match Amazon I'll shop there.

OP still hasn't really provided any compelling reason to buy, except

'Eminence said:
It historically sells at around $40 a share but can now be bought at around $12.
'Eminence said:
It's trading at about $16.00 a share but historically sells for around $40. There's still money to be made here.
The stock traditionally hits $40 - 50 a share before going down.
OP nailed it, and fortunately shared the secret to his success - look for stocks that used to be $40 and aren't $40 anymore, they will go back to $40.

OP still hasn't really provided any compelling reason to buy, except

'Eminence said:
It historically sells at around $40 a share but can now be bought at around $12.
'Eminence said:
It's trading at about $16.00 a share but historically sells for around $40. There's still money to be made here.
The stock traditionally hits $40 - 50 a share before going down.
OP nailed it, and fortunately shared the secret to his success - look for stocks that used to be $40 and aren't $40 anymore, they will go back to $40.
I'm going with a stock people seem to be down on in this thread - Radio Shack. The DIY electronics market is making a bit of a comeback and I actually liked what I saw when I went in there the other day.

Good call, OP.

Amusing skimming back over the comments of the critics who found their witty remarks so cute.

Users who are viewing this thread