What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suggest an Album for Me (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s

Footballguy
I've got the day to myself. Some yard work, grilling, relaxing outside. I want to dig into some albums. Fire away suggestions and I'll give feedback.

The only rules are:
  • It' s 80 out, beautiful sunny day. Let's try to match that, no bleak of the midwinter BS today
  • I have neighbors so it needs to be family friendly and nothing that's going to make my neighbors think I am psycho either
  • Needs to be available on Spotify
Beyond that, anything goes regardless of genre, age, etc.

EDIT: For my own accounting, I've listened to

• Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms
  • Drivin N Cryin- Mystery Road
  • Sturgill Simpson- Cuttin' Grass Vol 1
  • Sonic Youth- Rather Ripped
  • Cake- Motorcade of Generosity
  • Idris Muhammad- Power of Soul
  • Milton Nascimento- Cluba Da Esquina
  • Joy Orbison- still slipping vol. 1

Last edited:
Brothers in Arms was first in and I will start there. I got into Dire Straits during the Limewire/Napster era so while I know a lot of their music, I don't know if I've listened to an album through.

Jimmy Buffett......

Songs You Know by Heart

Fruitcakes
I've for sure never heard more than 2 or 3 Buffet songs. If you had to pick 1 album for a newbie, which is it?
For a newbie I would go with Songs You Know by Heart.

It took me a while to appreciate the Fruitcakes album in it's entirety but I really like it now. It just took listening to it a bit for it to get to that point. The other album is much easier to just jump right in.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms?
So far it plays like a Dire Straits Greatest Hits album. I can only imagine how crazy people must have been going for this album when it came out. I am excited to hear the rest now that the big hitters are done. Can it keep it's momentum?

Check out Neal Francis, no specific album but I saw them open for Les Claypool and they’ve got a really good 70s funk vibe going…would fit with the nice outdoor weather vibe

A new album (well, a month old) for you that I’d think you’d like and meets your criteria: Yarn the Hours Away by Foyer Red.

It’s a bit quirky but in a good way.

Since I got so many, after Dire Straits is over, I will use a net randomizer to pick the next. Each poster gets one entry, so no advantage to more recommendations.

So far it plays like a Dire Straits Greatest Hits album. I can only imagine how crazy people must have been going for this album when it came out. I am excited to hear the rest now that the big hitters are done. Can it keep it's momentum?
I like the whole thing. Back when the album came out, pretty much every song got air play. I like the non hits too, but not sure if others would feel the same.

Vampire Weekend - S/T

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped*

*I would actually highly encourage this one.

Search for "The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 1" on Spotify and go to the Rhino list made by EliCash. It's a public playlist. Get back to me.

I like the whole thing. Back when the album came out, pretty much every song got air play. I like the non hits too, but not sure if others would feel the same.
Great album, no songs that I felt itching to skip. It loses some momentum and I wonder how it would have played if the 3 big hits were spread out more. It's not even a bad thing that is slows down in the middle, just felt like a big change. For sure an album I would listen to again.

Users who are viewing this thread