What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suggest an Album for Me (1 Viewer)

I've got the day to myself. Some yard work, grilling, relaxing outside. I want to dig into some albums. Fire away suggestions and I'll give feedback.
You still going through the list or was it a one day thing? If you are still going through it how many have you tried and what's coming up next?

Brothers in Arms was first in and I will start there. I got into Dire Straits during the Limewire/Napster era so while I know a lot of their music, I don't know if I've listened to an album through.
I was going to link Making Movies but this album is probably lesser played.

Brothers in Arms was first in and I will start there. I got into Dire Straits during the Limewire/Napster era so while I know a lot of their music, I don't know if I've listened to an album through.

I love the Straits. Saw them on their last two tours. My circle of friends had no taste, and I ended up going alone both times because no one was interested. Their loss. Both shows were spectacular. Any live version of Private Investigations or Telegraph Road is epic. Bummed they didn’t play Skateaway or Industrial Disease, but everything they did play was stellar. Really surprised they weren’t more popular in the U.S.

Rolling Stones put out a new album late last year - "Hackney Diamonds" and it's good! Way better than some of their "newer" albums (I think of new as anything late 80s and forward). The track with GaGa is all kinds of terrific. "Sweet Sounds of Heaven".

I love the Straits. Saw them on their last two tours. My circle of friends had no taste, and I ended up going alone both times because no one was interested. Their loss. Both shows were spectacular. Any live version of Private Investigations or Telegraph Road is epic. Bummed they didn’t play Skateaway or Industrial Disease, but everything they did play was stellar. Really surprised they weren’t more popular in the U.S.

I mean, other than the fact that they DOMINATED MTV in '84-'86.

We discussed DS in the top selling albums thread, and Europe mostly outsold the U.S. by 4-6X compared to the U.S. Brothers In Arms was a lot more even (Europe +30% vs the U.S.). But every other album wasn’t even close.

We discussed DS in the top selling albums thread, and Europe mostly outsold the U.S. by 4-6X compared to the U.S. Brothers In Arms was a lot more even (Europe +30% vs the U.S.). But every other album wasn’t even close.

How much more popular do you think they should be in the US? "Money for Nothing" was the intro song to "Air" a year ago. They were insanely popular here.

How much more popular do you think they should be in the US? "Money for Nothing" was the intro song to "Air" a year ago. They were insanely popular here.
I never said they weren't popular here . . . I just commented that they could have been more popular. They released 8 primary albums and a greatest hits record in the time they were together. They were exceedingly popular for one album . . . but every other album sold significantly less in the U.S. than internationally. Dire Straits in some European companies were held in the same light and sold as much as The Beatles did. I don't think they ever hit that level in the U.S. They had 4 Top 20 songs in the United States and 11 overseas. They had 12 Top 10 albums in other countries and 2 in America. Based off of that, they were more popular in other places.

I never said they weren't popular here . . . I just commented that they could have been more popular. They released 8 primary albums and a greatest hits record in the time they were together. They were exceedingly popular for one album . . . but every other album sold significantly less in the U.S. than internationally. Dire Straits in some European companies were held in the same light and sold as much as The Beatles did. I don't think they ever hit that level in the U.S. They had 4 Top 20 songs in the United States and 11 overseas. They had 12 Top 10 albums in other countries and 2 in America. Based off of that, they were more popular in other places.

Conversely, David Hasselhoff is wildly popular in Europe.

I like DS too but they had their moment in the sun here. Their music is still ubiquitous.

They were Beatles-level popular in some parts of Europe. That was not the case here. More like Police-level popular during their mid-80s peak.

They were Beatles-level popular in some parts of Europe. That was not the case here. More like Police-level popular during their mid-80s peak.
I love Dire Straits but I would say Beatles level popularity might be too much

They were Beatles-level popular in some parts of Europe. That was not the case here.

Europe gets fervid over things that aren't exactly worthy of that emotion.

Dire Straits is an okay band. Knopfler can play the guitar. I enjoy "Sultans Of Swing." But they are way too mellow and distant-sounding to be an out-and-out success in the American popular consciousness, which likes itself some dynamism. I would never describe Dire Straits as dynamic or riveting. They're quite somnolent, actually. They appeal to stoners in America, really. Stephen Malkmus summed them up sort of perfectly in this song

"Jenny and the Ess-Dog"

Jennifer dates a man in a sixties cover band
He's the Ess Dog—Sean if you wish
She's 18 he's 31
She's the rich girl he's the son
of a Coca-Cola middleman

Kiss when they listen to "Brothers In Arms"
And if there's something wrong with this they don't see the harm
In joining their forces and singing along

The song is actually quite sad as it goes on, but it's a slice of Americana, circa 2001 or so. Dire Straits are for sort of jam-band loving would-be hippies in our country.

Unlike the U.S. ;)

If I were to talk extemporaneously about the words "fervid" and "United States" I'd catch a banhammer in two seconds. Have I told you how much I've been refraining lately? Europe's ugliness in the twentieth century appears to have been uprooted and it seems to have landed here, somehow. But we can't discuss it in the places it needs discussing the most. It's now considered gauche and those that do are accused of being too wrapped up in current events.

**** that. Now's the time for some honesty.

I await the returns of our strange, complicit silence anxiously and pessimistically.

eta* I had absolutely no idea last night that I was in your thread. In fact, I still didn't know until just now. I thought I was in Anarchy99's record sales thread. So my apologies for waffle stomping around here. Peace, kupcho1. Keep doing what you do.

eta2* Bah gawd, I'm in Ilov80's thread. This is kinda funny now. Sorry, Ilov, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Unlike the U.S. ;)

If I were to talk extemporaneously about the words "fervid" and "United States" I'd catch a banhammer in two seconds. Have I told you how much I've been refraining lately? Europe's ugliness in the twentieth century appears to have been uprooted and it seems to have landed here, somehow. But we can't discuss it in the places it needs discussing the most. It's now considered gauche and those that do are accused of being too wrapped up in current events.

I await the returns of our strange, complicit silence anxiously and pessimistically.

eta* I had absolutely no idea last night that I was in your thread. In fact, I still didn't know until just now. I thought I was in Anarchy99's record sales thread. So my apologies for waffle stomping around here. Peace, kupcho1. Keep doing what you do.

eta2* Bah gawd, I'm in Ilov80's thread. This is kinda funny now. Sorry, Ilov, I'll let you get back to your regularly scheduled program.
You are all good. This thread is from the summer and was more a thing for that moment in time. I’m cool with it having a new weird second life. And I 100% agree with on your point. Please wafflestomp away on that because it’s quite grim imo. Dread is the proper word for what I feel about it.

Unlike the U.S. ;)

And Binky thought he was in this thread when he was in the pet peeves thread. :laugh:

Unlike the U.S. ;)

And Binky thought he was in this thread when he was in the pet peeves thread. :laugh:

its all about exposure baby

Users who are viewing this thread