What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunday AM IDP Notes -- W5 (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Link to full feature

Highlights include:

Cameron Wake continues to be limited by his MCL sprain. He's reportedly closer to playing this week, but he may only see situational pass rusher duty. He's an option in big play leagues only and probably won't be full strength for another week or two. Dion Jordan will continue to be used in a situational role as long as Derrick Shelby holds his own on base downs. Don't expect much more than 25 snaps from Jordan until later in the season.

The Rams brought Jo-Lonn Dunbar back this week after his four week suspension. He's no threat to Alec Ogletree's nickel spot but Dunbar could cut down on some of Ogletree's range opportunities. Dunbar's return will put even more variance in the safety stat lines. The matchup and home stat crew make Ogletree and James Laurinaitis, who's no longer on the injury report with his foot problem, the only viable starters in the back seven. Robert Quinn could have a monster day against the Jags and Chris Long is a viable play in sack-heavy leagues, too. Cortland Finnegan will likely sit with a thigh injury today.
The Bengals used Taylor Mays in the base defense heavily with Reggie Nelson injured last week. That put Rey Maualuga into a near every-down role. Nelson is back healthy this week and it's hard to see Cincinnati using Maualuga in subpackages against the New England offense. However, the Bengals could be without three cornerbacks today, making it hard to use a dime package. We'll not know Maualuga's role until the first series, so he's a risky start today.Michael Johnson did not practice on Friday with a concussion and is likely well on the doubtful side of questionable.

The Giants acquired Jon Beason from Carolina this week. He could work into some packages today but won't be a fantasy option unless and until he (a) plays the majority of downs at middle linebacker and (2) shows he's capable of running and staying healthy for more than a week. Spencer Paysinger and Jacquain Williams are likely to see the most snaps today. Paysinger has LB2 upside. Jason Pierre-Paul is back on the injury report with a knee injury that he's said is a low-grade MCL sprain but fully practiced all week. He has DL1 upside against Michael Vick at home today. Linval Joseph and Corey Webster are unlikely to play.

The local media clarified a report that Bruce Carter had been benched for Ernie Sims late this week. Sims looks to be starting in the nickel package only, with Carter still likely to see the majority of base defensive reps. Carter hasn't been bad in coverage, but he's not yet grasped the correct zone drops in Kiffin's Tampa-2 defense. It's a scheme that Sims has played in previously. Sims' issues have always been poor fundamental tackling and durability. Still, the Denver matchup should skew the snap count heavily in Sims' favor. Carter should be out of your lineup today. Sims is a boom-bust LB3 in all formats. We could see our first solid snap count for DeVonte Holloman today with Justin Durant unlikely to play with a groin injury. George Selvie is questionable after last week's concussion but practiced in a helmet on Friday. That's a good indication that he's been cleared for contact and likely to play.

The Falcons have multiple issues at linebacker. Akeem Dent is out with an ankle injury. Paul Worrilow is limited with a knee injury. Sean Weatherspoon remains on the IR / return list with his foot sprain. As usual, there's little information in the local media here. I think Worrilow has a better than questionable shot at starting and playing every-down with Joplo Bartu. We'll likely see some of Omar Gaither at middle linebacker whether Worrilow is active or not, with Jonathan Massaquoi seeing more snaps if Worrilow is down. If you can hedge Worrilow with Gaither, it's a reasonable plan. If not, Bartu is your only certain fantasy option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene can you comment on reports I've read that Pierre Paul sprained his MCL but was going to play through it? How viable is he today? Any reason to think he'll be on limited snaps?

Jene can you comment on reports I've read that Pierre Paul sprained his MCL but was going to play through it? How viable is he today? Any reason to think he'll be on limited snaps?
Must have been still asleep when I wrote toe injury. I think he looked good enough last week to risk on the nice Philly matchup. Not sure the Giants have the bodies to limit snaps today. Most of their pass rushing tackles are out or questionable to play.

Jene Bramel said:
southeastjerome said:
Must have been still asleep when I wrote toe injury. I think he looked good enough last week to risk on the nice Philly matchup. Not sure the Giants have the bodies to limit snaps today. Most of their pass rushing tackles are out or questionable to play.
The way I saw it is that he did not return after suffering the knee injury last week. I'm having trouble finding much info, but I guess he's "practicing in full".

Jene...Any insight on Mayo's ankle injury? He's got a good match-up playing against the Bengals, but is listed as questionable...I'm considering benching him for Laurinaitis, but he's probably going to see much less opportunity against the Jags.

JPP looked like he was barely even trying last week. He was playing pattycake with the OT all day, loafing after the ball carriers, and then got hurt. NFL channel called him out on it, but I can't find the video of it online. Very confused by the 'looked good enough' comment. BTW, DLs vs Philly rank 32nd in my scoring system. Avoiding.

edit: playing 3 3-4 teams (WAS, SD, KC) vs 1 4-3 (DEN) most likely is the issue with the ranking here, but it did surprise me.

Michael Johnson inactive.

Patrick Chung inactive. Earl Wolff starts again.

Jon Beason active. No official word, but none of the beat writers are reporting a change to the New York starting lineup. Mark Herzlich is active.

Cameron Wake is active. ETA: I doubt Wake plays more than 20-25 snaps today. He's an sack-heavy league option only because of the so-so BAL offensive tackles.

RE: JPP ~ Agree that he took more plays off than he should have. Lot of talk in the NY media baiting both JPP and Tuck on their snap counts this week and asking if they'd be better served by getting more rest. Neither would say anything specific but they hinted they felt overused. That's odd, since both have been 800+ snap players when healthy in the past.

By "looked good enough" I mean that when he did make an effort, there was better evidence of a bull rush and quick hands on an edge rush move than in the previous couple of weeks. I think that's enough to consider JPP a DL2 with upside (in contrast to the boom-bust sack-heavy play I felt he was in previous weeks). Maybe I'm putting too much into the full week of practice...

Jene Bramel said:
The local media clarified a report that Bruce Carter had been benched for Ernie Sims late this week. Sims looks to be starting in the nickel package only, with Carter still likely to see the majority of base defensive reps. Carter hasn't been bad in coverage, but he's not yet grasped the correct zone drops in Kiffin's Tampa-2 defense. It's a scheme that Sims has played in previously. Sims' issues have always been poor fundamental tackling and durability. Still, the Denver matchup should skew the snap count heavily in Sims' favor. Carter should be out of your lineup today. Sims is a boom-bust LB3 in all formats. We could see our first solid snap count for DeVonte Holloman today with Justin Durant unlikely to play with a groin injury. George Selvie is questionable after last week's concussion but practiced in a helmet on Friday. That's a good indication that he's been cleared for contact and likely to play.
Jene, are the Cowboys currently running the same version of Kiffin's Tampa 2 as years past wherein Carter/Sims, positionally at least, are filling the Brooks/Briggs WILB playmaker role and Sean Lee in the Urlacher role? Or is it something different due to Sean Lee's superior talent vs. the other DAL LB's. TIA.

Jene Bramel said:
Jene, are the Cowboys currently running the same version of Kiffin's Tampa 2 as years past wherein Carter/Sims, positionally at least, are filling the Brooks/Briggs WILB playmaker role and Sean Lee in the Urlacher role? Or is it something different due to Sean Lee's superior talent vs. the other DAL LB's. TIA.
There's been more man coverage than in past Kiffin defenses over the past two weeks, I guess. Seem to see both Lee and Carter taking a quick drop, then playing a man under look. The suggestion from the beat writers is that is because the OLBs aren't getting to their spots. Haven't seen much "mike down the pipe" from Lee recently.

The Bears have always been an aggressive zone coverage team. If Dungy was on one end of the Tampa-2 curve, Lovie Smith was on the other. Lot of showing A gap pressure from the Bears under Smith and there's some of that in Dallas right now, too.

Jene...Any insight on Mayo's ankle injury? He's got a good match-up playing against the Bengals, but is listed as questionable...I'm considering benching him for Laurinaitis, but he's probably going to see much less opportunity against the Jags.
Just released. Mayo is active.

Users who are viewing this thread