What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunday Ticket - HD Games still extra this year? (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
I finally got myself a HD set in the last month and am salivating over the prospect of getting most games in HD.

However, I know that last year, in an effort to soak customers for an extra buck, DirecTV made HD games part of a SuperFan package, which costs an additional $99. There was a large backlash and the word was that if you complained to the customer retention department, they would likely give you the package for free.

I am wondering if there is any word on what they are going to do this year? If I go to the DirecTV site, the page that exists is from last season.

If they intend to put HD games in a seperate tier, you better believe they'll be getting an earful from me. The idea that I pay for the Sunday Ticket package and a HD package and they want to turn around and say, "Oh you want Sunday Ticket with HD? guess we're going to have to charge you a third time" is ridiculous.

I didn't purchase the HD package simply because we get the HD feed from New York, so we get those games for free, plus the Monday Night game, in HD, for free. Of course the teams I follow most (Lions and Titans) suck, so they get few games in HD.

Just personal preference, but I'm not paying almost $100 for games that I likely won't watch anyways.

I've had The Ticket for a few years. Last year they went to the SuperFan package which included the HD games(which before last year were included in The Ticket),yes they got a big backlash. The SuperFan also included the 30 minute game replays,red-zone channel and an interactive feature that had some bells and whistles. To make a long story short,I complained to them,they agreed to charge me $49 instead of $99 for the SuperFan add-on,then,because some of the features in The SuperFan required a special receiver that I did not have they credited the $49 back to me because I didn't have full use of all The SuperFan had to offer. They then offered the box to me(for free,but a $4.99 monthly charge) for THIS year,I declined so they are once again going to credit the cost of The SuperFan add-on for which they are charging $49. My personal experience has been pretty positive with DTV,they've responded quickly to any problems/complaints I've had. I've found if you do complain and do it in a non-aggresive and sane manner they will respond in a like way.

I just read today that if you sign up before the end of April the superfan pack is free.
Any sort of link? I just got off the phone and customer service says it costs 99.00 per year and that there is no "free" promotion. I just went with DirectTV w/HD Package a few weeks ago and ordered the NFL Sunday Ticket and I was under the impression from others who I knew who had it that the SuperFan Pack came with it but was told it used to but not anymore. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you where a ST and superfan package customer last year it will automatically renew this year.

I just read today that if you sign up before the end of April the superfan pack is free.
Any sort of link? I just got off the phone and customer service says it costs 99.00 per year and that there is no "free" promotion. I just went with DirectTV w/HD Package a few weeks ago and ordered the NFL Sunday Ticket and I was under the impression from others who I knew who had it that the SuperFan Pack came with it but was told it used to but not anymore. :wall:
Call the customer retention department(1-800-824-9081). The operators that answer the phones do not know s^

The current prices for NFL Sunday Ticket is $249. They have a current earlybird special for $229 until July 31st.

The NFL Superfan is extra, but I could not find the price. I'd assume $99 minimum, as these prices have never gone down.

Personally, I canceled last year when the prices jumped over the previous $180 I had paid for 2004. I thought it would be tough, but I just watched whatever game the networks had on and I was fine.

I have been a sunday ticket holder for the past 5 years or so. I have two residences and last year it cost me $500 to have the Sunday ticket at both places so that no matter where I was I could watch the games. This year I have deduced that it was not worth $35 a week to watch a few more games. I have cancelled.

this says the superfan is included in the ST

http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/
I don't read it that way. It lists the features of the Sunday Ticket and then of the SuperFan Package, but doesn't include one is bundled with the other. Ultimately, I expect the superfan package to go away. I just don't when it will happen. I fully expect to call customer retention and get it for free. DirecTV is big on customer retention and the longer you've been a subscriber, the more weight you carry.

As I mentioned in the original post, I find it ridiculous that I would to get all the games in the Sunday ticket, then pay additionally for HD, only to be told that I must pay a third time to get both ST + HD.

IMO, the cost of providing Sunday Ticket in HD is astronimical to DirecTV, which is why they want to try and pass that cost on to you. If you think about any cable or satellite provider, how many HD channels do they offer? Most only offer a handful.

Simply put both cable and satellite don't have the bandwidth to offer many HD channels, though they are working frantically to get there. DirecTV in particular is in the process of launching new satellites for HD. They also use a new compression method which allows them to squeeze more data into a signal (with the downside being that you need the latest equipment to get it).

However, right now, to broadcast the Sunday Ticket in HD, it is a HUGE cost to DirecTV. Its like adding 7 or 8 new national HD channels. But NFL fans demand the HD, so DirecTV feels like they to provide it, but try to pass the cost on to the customer.

So I feel like in the future as bandwidth grows, the Superfan package will go the way of the dodo. In the short term, call up customer retention and tell them "No!".

People actually paid for SuperFan last year?

I sure as hell didn't

Also, I remember receiving a letter in the mail last year waiving the SF charge again for 2006 (since some of the features of SF - which I had no interest in anyway, and wasn't paying for to begin with - weren't working at the beginning of the season).

I'm pretty sure I got something in the mail that said that I was getting my superfan package comped with my ST renewal this year. But no one else I've talked to has heard this, making mne second guess myself.

No direct link to the offer, but here is where I read it. Superfan Deal

Thanks I read the forum topic and may try my hand at retention cust# and see what they say. Probably won't get me anywhere but I can threaten to cancel ST if I don't get superfan. Thats about all I have to bargain with as I am a new client.

People actually paid for SuperFan last year?

I sure as hell didn't

Also, I remember receiving a letter in the mail last year waiving the SF charge again for 2006 (since some of the features of SF - which I had no interest in anyway, and wasn't paying for to begin with - weren't working at the beginning of the season).
i got the superfan for free. I pay $179 for the ST

Thanks I read the forum topic and may try my hand at retention cust# and see what they say. Probably won't get me anywhere but I can threaten to cancel ST if I don't get superfan. Thats about all I have to bargain with as I am a new client.
Well I called customer retention and was informed that if I had NFL ticket last season with SuperFan - I could get it free this year but seeing as I am a new client this year - $99.00. Seeing as I have a 2 year contract with Direct - it wouldn't do me any good to threaten to leave so I really had no bargaining chips. Was told that unless the Free if you sign up by April 30th was on their website - they won't vouch for it. So.....no superfan for me. ST is expensive enough without adding another $99.00.

Bumping this thread back up. Have been told several times over that while DirectTV continues to charge an additional $99 for the Superfan package which inludes the Sunday Ticket in HD, that if you just ask for customer rention and voice your displeasure, that they'll quickly give you the Superfan for free.

Tried it out today and found that it was exactly the case. Their customer service is slow, but once I got a live operator, they were quick to comp the Superfan.

I would highly recommend that all SD subscribers call DirecTV, ask for customer retention and demand the free superfan package.

I'm in the process of moving this week.I went with DTV again over cable and called DTV last week to set up installation.I haggled with the service rep and got the ticket for $229 and a free HD setup plus superfan for free.

I have been a sunday ticket holder for the past 5 years or so. I have two residences and last year it cost me $500 to have the Sunday ticket at both places so that no matter where I was I could watch the games. This year I have deduced that it was not worth $35 a week to watch a few more games. I have cancelled.
Why not just pay for one place and carry your box back and forth from place to place? Thats one of the bene's of DirecTv. Or buy yolurself a slingbox. Don't pay for two places! Thats insane.

I'm getting the Superfan for free($49.95 charged to my bill then a $49.95 credit on the same bill) I'm getting ST renewed for $209 but they're giving me a $25 credit on my bill(loyal/good customer credit) for 6 months($150) so I'm actually paying $69 for ST and the Superfan add-on. Call them! Be nice. If you don't get what you want,wait a day or two and call again. I've been with DTV over 3 years and have found their customer service second to none.

Bumping this thread back up. Have been told several times over that while DirectTV continues to charge an additional $99 for the Superfan package which inludes the Sunday Ticket in HD, that if you just ask for customer rention and voice your displeasure, that they'll quickly give you the Superfan for free.

Tried it out today and found that it was exactly the case. Their customer service is slow, but once I got a live operator, they were quick to comp the Superfan.

I would highly recommend that all SD subscribers call DirecTV, ask for customer retention and demand the free superfan package.
How long have you been a customer? I have only been with DirectTV for a few months and I talked to customer retention a month or so ago and they said no that the super fan package was $99 and that if anyone was getting it for free, tbey must not be new customers. I'm not real good at haggling. I don't think I would want to threaten to cancel as I am not prepared to do that. I also have a 2 year contract with them and when I haggled over the mirroring fee (that they never told me about when I signed up) they asked if I wanted them to come and pick up there equipment). Whats a NEW customer to do?Edited to add - I call customer retention ( just recently went with the pemium package and already did the sportspak so just about as high a package as they offer) told them heh people are getting the superfan for free and with all the business I'm throwing that way and the HD package etc couldn't they do something for me. They did cut the price in half 49.50 for this season. I tried like heck to get them to throw it in but she wouldn't do that and would not concede that anyone was getting it for free. I figure next year as an older customer - I can get it for free, maybe.

I'm pretty sure I got something in the mail that said that I was getting my superfan package comped with my ST renewal this year. But no one else I've talked to has heard this, making mne second guess myself.
I remember getting this too, but now am getting billed $49 for it. Guess I'll have to call retention and complain. Wish I had saved the letter!Hey FSUFan - how are you getting it for $179?

How long have you been a customer? I have only been with DirectTV for a few months and I talked to customer retention a month or so ago and they said no that the super fan package was $99 and that if anyone was getting it for free, tbey must not be new customers. I'm not real good at haggling. I don't think I would want to threaten to cancel as I am not prepared to do that. I also have a 2 year contract with them and when I haggled over the mirroring fee (that they never told me about when I signed up) they asked if I wanted them to come and pick up there equipment). Whats a NEW customer to do?Edited to add - I call customer retention ( just recently went with the pemium package and already did the sportspak so just about as high a package as they offer) told them heh people are getting the superfan for free and with all the business I'm throwing that way and the HD package etc couldn't they do something for me. They did cut the price in half 49.50 for this season. I tried like heck to get them to throw it in but she wouldn't do that and would not concede that anyone was getting it for free. I figure next year as an older customer - I can get it for free, maybe.
I've been with DirecTV for awhile. Six years or so.Couple of tips: Immediately ask for customer retention when you talk to a person. The first live person that you talk will not be able to comp anything for you. I almost left DirecTV earlier in the year, when they wouldn't give me a deal on new HD equipment. Was talking to a regular rep, and they couldn't care less if I left. Called back and asked for customer retention and they were ready to give me whatever I wanted.

Don't be nasty, but be persistant. I've asked them in the past: "What are you going to do to keep me as a customer?"

With regard to the Superfan package I stated it like this: "I pay for Sunday Ticket. I pay for the HD package. When I asked what the HD package got me when I signed up the rep explained, if you buy the channel normally and you buy the HD package, you get the channel in HD if available. For example, if you have HBO and the HD package, you get HBOHD. Ditto that for ESPN, TNT, etc. But with Sunday Ticket, DirecTV wants to say, 'hey you pay for Sunday Ticket, and you pay for HD, but if you want the ticket in HD, we're going to have to soak you for another $100' I'm not asking for something extra here. I just want to get what I've paid for. I paid for the ticket (and a good bit too I might add), I've paid for HD. I just want to get what I paid for."

One other thing: All reps at DirecTV are not the same. Sometimes you get somebody that is nice and can be and is willing to give you the kitchen sink. Other times you'll deal with someone more difficult that won't give you a thing. So I'd recommend if you don't get what you're looking for to call back later and try again.

Good luck.

i got the superfan for free. I pay $179 for the ST
Are you sure you're still paying $179 this year?I paid $179 last year as well, but they raised the price from "4 easy payments" to "5 easy payments" which makes my price this year to $209.

To follow up on my last post....I just called Customer Retention and just told them that paying over $200 is starting to get too steep and I'm thinking about cancelling.

He said let me look into what I can do for you and he just gave me $45 credit to my next bill....so in the end now paying $165 for the ST (roughly $9.60 per Sunday...which is how I rationalize the cost).

I see others got more out of their call, but this is good enough for me.

I called the retention number this morning and got the following:

Free Superfan package for this year

$120 credit ($10 a month for the next 12 months)

a $75 credit IF i chose to purchase a new off air antenna

a $150 credit IF i chose to buy a HDVDR Tivo (or whatever you call it)

I basically called stating how frustrating it is to pay for ST, and then get the SuperFan package to watch games in high def, only to have the game i want most weeks blacked out, and only available on the off air antenna which looks like crap. I was nice, but firm, and said i had been a loyal customer for 5 years, but just didn't see the value in spending this type of money and NOT being able to see the game i most want to see because Fox or NBC might have been carrying it that weekend.

To follow up on my last post....I just called Customer Retention and just told them that paying over $200 is starting to get too steep and I'm thinking about cancelling.

He said let me look into what I can do for you and he just gave me $45 credit to my next bill....so in the end now paying $165 for the ST (roughly $9.60 per Sunday...which is how I rationalize the cost).

Are you getting superfan free or discounted with this or just a discounted price on ST?

I haven't called yet, but with having NFL season tickets I am at games 8 weekends and so get nothing out of ST... add in any weekends out of town and I'm only able to use it between 1/3 and 1/2 of the season.

Going to see what they'll do. I'm having a hard time justifying the price to myself given I'm only there to use it half the time. By the way, awhile back they send me a card with a different number to use when calling support. Apparently supposed to skip the first level phone answerers. Did they do this for everyone, or just for long-time subscribers. I think I'm going on about 9 years now.

Are you getting superfan free or discounted with this or just a discounted price on ST?
Just a discounted price on the ST.I don't have the HD setup yet, so the SuperFan wasn't of interest to me.

He initially offered the SuperFan for Free...when I said no interest of that he offered a Free DVR, which was also not of interest. Then his 3rd offer was a straight $45 credit.

BUMPGonna give Cust Retention a call today and see what I can swing
let us know how it goes.. I (out of character) have tried to work politely with them.. never could get down to the HD DVR with Free Ticket tho.. far as I got was 199 for the HDDVR and had to pay full price for the ticket..I am now a HD comcast customer.. and will wait, for MPEG4 to be widely adopted, and then I'll jump on the new customer promos

let us know how it goes.. I (out of character) have tried to work politely with them.. never could get down to the HD DVR with Free Ticket tho.. far as I got was 199 for the HDDVR and had to pay full price for the ticket..I am now a HD comcast customer.. and will wait, for MPEG4 to be widely adopted, and then I'll jump on the new customer promos
Posted this in the other DirecTv thread, but here it is again:Ok, just got off the phone with DirecTv cust retention (800-824-9081). I dont have HD, but was able to get some decent cheese.I was able to get the Superfan package for free, plus $20 off my DirecTv bill for the next 6 months.I was also offered the interactive DVR box for $99 with free shipping (the R-15), but Ive read too many bad reviews on the R-15 and the interface is totally different than the Tivo bix I already have....so I passed on that.So, I wont have the full functionality of the Game-Mix, but since I got the Superfan pack for free Im not gonna complain about it. I still have the Red Zone Channel, Short Cuts, and the Game Mix channel (without interactive function).Total savings: $219 ($99 for superfan plus $120 off my DirecTv bill, which is basically $120 off my ST package) :pickle:

Posted this in the other DirecTv thread, but here it is again:Ok, just got off the phone with DirecTv cust retention (800-824-9081). I dont have HD, but was able to get some decent cheese.I was able to get the Superfan package for free, plus $20 off my DirecTv bill for the next 6 months.I was also offered the interactive DVR box for $99 with free shipping (the R-15), but Ive read too many bad reviews on the R-15 and the interface is totally different than the Tivo bix I already have....so I passed on that.So, I wont have the full functionality of the Game-Mix, but since I got the Superfan pack for free Im not gonna complain about it. I still have the Red Zone Channel, Short Cuts, and the Game Mix channel (without interactive function).Total savings: $219 ($99 for superfan plus $120 off my DirecTv bill, which is basically $120 off my ST package) :pickle:
coll, congrats, is that HD, HD was my issue, a "must have"

Good job! As a fairly new customer I was able to get the superfan for 1/2 price. Better than full price. Next year looking for free! Should pull a little more weight then.

Wingnut said:
noneother said:
Wingnut said:
What is the best approach to ask for superfan? I already have everything else. "Hi, I'm a cheap ******* and I was wondering if I could get SF for free or at a discount."?

Wingnut said:
noneother said:
Wingnut said:
What is the best approach to ask for superfan? I already have everything else. "Hi, I'm a cheap ******* and I was wondering if I could get SF for free or at a discount."?
I played it like this:First I told her that I was gonna have to work more Sundays this year and that I couldnt see paying that much for the ST, so I was thinking about cancelling it....After looking at my account and telling me I was an EXCELLENT customer she said she couldnt knock any of the ST package but she could give me $20 off my DTV bill for 6 months, which is basically the same thing as giving it to me cheaper....Then I said "I saw that in April on the DTV website that you had a promo for people who wanted to order the ST early where you were giving away the Superfan package for free...I didnt order the ST then because I knew it would be automatically renewed....Is there any kind of deal you can give me on it?" and I heard some clicking of her typing and she said "Well, you are a great customer so I think I can give that to you at no cost, but you wont have the full functionality because you dont have an interactive receiver, yadda yadda"...Thats when I asked if they had an interactive DVR and she offered me the R-15 for $99 but I passed....she said that was fine, and that Id still get the Superfan pack for free as well as the $20 off my bill for 6 months.She was very nice and we even chatted a bit about the weather and how its been so hot everywhere..I think her name was Elizabeth. VERY friendly and more than happy to hook me up.

Wingnut said:
noneother said:
Wingnut said:
I played it like this:First I told her that I was gonna have to work more Sundays this year and that I couldnt see paying that much for the ST, so I was thinking about cancelling it....After looking at my account and telling me I was an EXCELLENT customer she said she couldnt knock any of the ST package but she could give me $20 off my DTV bill for 6 months, which is basically the same thing as giving it to me cheaper....Then I said "I saw that in April on the DTV website that you had a promo for people who wanted to order the ST early where you were giving away the Superfan package for free...I didnt order the ST then because I knew it would be automatically renewed....Is there any kind of deal you can give me on it?" and I heard some clicking of her typing and she said "Well, you are a great customer so I think I can give that to you at no cost, but you wont have the full functionality because you dont have an interactive receiver, yadda yadda"...Thats when I asked if they had an interactive DVR and she offered me the R-15 for $99 but I passed....she said that was fine, and that Id still get the Superfan pack for free as well as the $20 off my bill for 6 months.She was very nice and we even chatted a bit about the weather and how its been so hot everywhere..I think her name was Elizabeth. VERY friendly and more than happy to hook me up.
Sweet. Did you happen to get her cutomer service #? I think I will call and "inquire" about some add ons and play it from there.

I think I hit a homerun here. I got my HD receiver replaced w/ a HD DVR receiver (a $399 value) for FREE (it IS an extra $5.99/month and it is a 2 year commitment but there is NO delivery or installation charge), a $10 credit each month on my bill for the next TWELVE months, and a full credit on the Superfan package of what I was charged last year ($49). He (Larry was his name I believe) also gave me an additional $10 credit on my bill for the next 4 months to help defray the cost of the extra $5.99/month for the DVR charge.

I was very cordial the entire time, and I played it EXACTLY as Wingnut suggested (BTW thanks Wingnut!). I mentioned I may be working more Sunday and was struggling to justify the cost. After he agreed to upgrade me to the DVR, I said thanks, but I politely asked if there was anything he could do to help me out with the costs of the Sunday Ticket as I didn't feel I'd be getting full value out of it. He then proposed the $10/month credit, which I humbly thanked him for. A great experience!!

To recap: I got a $399 receiver for FREE, a $160 credit on my bill, $20 installation FREE, and the $49 charge for the Superfan credited, for a grand total of $628 in credits/freebies.

It's not hard. I'd encourage everyone to give it a shot. Another trick I used a while back was to ask what the specials were for new customers. I then asked whose name the account was listed under (mine). I asked if we could cancel the service and re-open it under my wife's name. They said they could. I then suggested instead of messing with that, could they just offer me the same deal and they obliged.

I just wanted to thank you guys in this thread. First I win the 3yr subscription to FBG and now this. I called the number to Directv from this thread. I have been a loyal ST and Directv sub for over 6 years. I have moved twice with them and carried the service all the way through. Recently I even upgraded to an HD receiver for $99. Based on this thread, I called the number and told the rep that my wife has been getting solicited by Cable during the days and she is asking questions about how much we are spending. I said I need to bring something back to her to "sell" her on keeping this - Please help me! :) I told her I love the ST and I need to keep this but I need to justify the expense and I definitely can't tell her I will spend another $99 on the Superfan. The rep (karen) was super! She worked with me right away and said, "how does free sound on the superfan!" to which I said fabulous. She than said she was going to give me $10 off my package a month for 12 months plus another $10 off a month for six months on my sports sub package. In addition she gave me an ala carte kid's channel for $5 (reg. $10). I thought this was unbelievable and I was thrilled when I hung up. I saved over $200 from this call thanks to this thread. God bless the NFL and Sunday Ticket in HD and God Bless all of you! :)

Based on this thread, I called the number and told the rep that my wife has been getting solicited by Cable during the days and she is asking questions about how much we are spending. I said I need to bring something back to her to "sell" her on keeping this - Please help me! :)
This is BRILLIANT. I highly recommend the use of this strategy. I only wish I could claim it as my own :D VERY nice work in getting all the goodies. I'll drink to that :banned:

thanks for everyone who posted threads like this in the past few months.

I just purchased a new HD TV (60" Sony LCD WEGA!!) and figured it was time to go to

HD with an HD DVR, last year they were at $600 each, so I waited until this year to pull the trigger.

I followed the general premise described in this thread.. I actually called dish & adelphia digital cable and found out their rates installation and equipment costs(monthlys are close to DT and no installation and no purchasing of DVR equipment). Then I called directv and talked to a standard operator and got their costs. I finished and asked to go to customer retention. waited about 20 minutes and got disconnected and then called back and asked to go directly to customer retention.

At customer retention, the lady was very nice. I Explained to her that I was a loyal customer, and had even taken them up last year on the moving package they offer. Apparently I am on the A customer list because I buy the ST every year, plus a bit more than the basic package. I explained that I just bought a new HD

TV and it was time to review my TV Source, so the tail wasn't wagging the dog, so to speak. I then explained how DT had the highest monthly cost with the lowest amount of HD channels. she began to probe at what this meant, and I explained that while the pricing was within a 5-10% range for programming, that no one else was going to charge me $399 for an HD DVR, and they (Dish/Adelphia) were even going to replace my existing DVR at no additional charge. Then I let a little bit of silence do the trick, and she started to offer the store. the less I spoke the more she offered, with a few bits of encouragement here and there.

basically I got what No Cheese got, Free HD DVR, with an upgraded unit coming in 3 months for HD local channels. free installation, free superfan, 4 months free HD programing and a $10 discount off my bill for 12 months. basically everything I was looking for, but never even had to ask, only compared DT's offering to the competition's with a bit of suggestion that I was considering switching. never got nasty on either side, they know the deal and are trained to basically "match" what the competition is offering while making it sound like you are getting a deal. this comes with a 2 year commitment, which is fine, this experience will seal me as a life long customer (as long as they continue to have ST)

one note is that they push the sunday ticket angle, we are the only ones who have this, you do know that if you switch that you wont have ST anymore, yada yada yada, I just played it cool, as if I was indifferent about the ST, and that factor wouldnt sway my decision one way or the other.

all in all they did the right thing, to retain my business, and I am happy, but without the effort, I could have easily dropped $600+ on the same offering. definatlely worth the call. thanks again to those before me who posted the story and I hope that I can be of help to someone in the future. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread