What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SUNDAY TICKET (1 Viewer)

O.K. You guys convinced me. My main TV is a widescreen HD. Tommorrow I'm calling and ordering Directtv HD with the Sunday Ticket. I'm cutting the cable and (if your all right) about to enhance my fantasy football experience. Thanks for all the great comments,you guys have exceded my expectations. :thumbup:
You will be eternally grateful.I recommend ordering thru the Satellite Experts website. They are really top notch and good backup support. THe deal is the same anywhere you go, but no tax from them.
As a matter of fact Satellite Experts are the ones I'm considering ordering from. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I just ordered DirecTV for the first time, Installation is scheduled for next Friday. Question for anyone out there, I chose the 2 receiver package as I am a broke college student and only have 2 rooms to hook up, but if I ordered the third would I be able to set up the 3 TVs and receivers in the same room?
You can have as many TVs in a room as you have receivers connected to the dish. Each receiver will cost you $5 additional above the free one. Your 3 TV room would cost you $10 above the package costs.

Anyone know where the best DirecTV deals are right now? I've seen the 4 months free deal if you sign up for the Ticket and I have also seen one that gives you a free Tivo DVR. I would like to get both the free Tivo DVR and the 4 month deal if possible. If there are any other good deals out there as well please post what you have seen.

I'm thinking of getting Directtv put on my family room tv just so I can get the Sunday Ticket this year. I'd like to know if the price is worth it. I'd like some honest plus and minus opinions about it. I'm an avid football fan and fantasy player. Has anyone felt ripped off after getting the Ticket? Is it really worth $250? Thanks for any opinions.
I have had D-TV for about 5 years and have subscribed to the ticket from day one. I wouldnt do without it and in fact if the NFL changed companies so would I. I love D-TV though and have every channel. I think we spend $117.00 roughly including 4 recievers, one a DVR. The ticket is all that. I have NEVER felt slighted. In fact last year they made some really nice tweeks to the system like having a couple 1 and 4 pm games that would allow you to see the scoring of the other teams. When one of the other teams went into the redzone it would be highlighted in red for all those fantasy fans. Most excellent suff. :thumbup:

I just LOVE those enhanced channels they had for the ticket. 2 games had the enhanced version and with that one you knew when to flip the channel! It told you the scores of every game, what channel they were on, if they just scored, and if they were in the red zone.

They also had a ticker at the bottom for news.

I hope they dedicate more than 2 channels this year for those enhanced games...
Those are cool, but the picture qulaity is vastly inferior and I wish they'd but them next to the other channels. I like just using the up and down channel button and they always stick those too far away. I usually run that to one small tv and use it for a cheat sheet on which channel to go to on the big screen.,
If I remember correctly, here the enhanced games were channel 700 & 701 and the regular game channels started on 702. How much closer to the other channels do you need to be? :P I know, the 4:00 games there is some distance between them and the enhanced games... I still like them though...

6 year DirecTV subscriber & Sunday Ticket. Almost zero down time, I have 99% signal strength, it might fade only during serious ice/slush storms. You should not need any service, it's pretty hassle-free after getting set up.NFL Network on channel 212 will replace ESPN as your favorite, believe me. Worth every penny. Don't settle for the standard dish, make sure to get a HD-compatible dish.

One "downside" to Sunday Ticket, although most would consider it a huge plus, is that there is always a great game on TV. I'm in CT and can usually get the Giants, Jets, and Patriots. If the few local games are blowouts or a team is on bye, I end up with some free time & actually can get something done around the house. With Sunday Ticket, I can sit down at 11 am for any number of pre-game shows, and not budge until 11:30 pm when the ESPN game is over.

O.K guys. I did it. Just got off the phone with Expert Satellite. You all convinced me. I'm getting a 4-room system with 1 Hi-Def reciever for my main TV. 4 months free of the PremierPlus package (which is just about every channell thats possible to get) The Sunday Ticket,a free DVD player,installation included AND they even threw in their Hi-Def package for 6 months for free. (it's normally about $10 a month) Goodbye cable,hello SUNDAY TICKET. Thanks to all you football guys who responded. :yes:

O.K guys. I did it. Just got off the phone with Expert Satellite. You all convinced me. I'm getting a 4-room system with 1 Hi-Def reciever for my main TV. 4 months free of the PremierPlus package (which is just about every channell thats possible to get) The Sunday Ticket,a free DVD player,installation included AND they even threw in their Hi-Def package for 6 months for free. (it's normally about $10 a month) Goodbye cable,hello SUNDAY TICKET. Thanks to all you football guys who responded. :yes:
No tivo? DUDE, you GOTTA have Tivo so you can record games you need to record (or shows like NFL live, etc), and to pause live TV and create your own instant replays.You can get a Direct DVR at Best Buy for around $80. I highly recommend getting one before the season starts.

No tivo? DUDE, you GOTTA have Tivo so you can record games you need to record (or shows like NFL live, etc), and to pause live TV and create your own instant replays.You can get a Direct DVR at Best Buy for around $80. I highly recommend getting one before the season starts.
as well as watch/tape 2 games at the same time. That way you can watch your "main game" and then use the other input to flip between games.

I had the ticket for 2 years and I have cancelled it this year. I loved the ticket but it sucks your life right out of you. As someone else said I was starting to watch football with ESPN pregame and didnt stop until after ESPN game at night. I LOVE football but it was taking to much away from my family and life in general.If I was single I would be on it in a heartbeat. Married with kids I will still watch a lot of football but I cant justify over 12 hrs of it in one day. :bag:

In nine years with Directv, I can honestly tell you that weather has interrupted my service maybe three times, and each time it has been back up within ten minutes. I live in New Engalnd, as well. We get some of the nastiest weather conditions you can imagine.
I'm impressed--and amazed. I'm in NC, and have had DirectTV for at easily that long I think--but I'll lose a signal for an hour at a time at least a half dozen times a year. Maybe there's something with the placement of the different satellites? In general--I'd say your odds are pretty good even at that not to worry about any inclement weather problem.

But just for a personal negative--no way I'd get the Sunday Ticket for myself. It sounds exciting and all that, but after all the prep I do all week, there's no way I can lock down the full day watching tv no matter what is on unless I'm bedridden for some reason! My best Sundays--unless I'm at the game--are when Carolina is playing at 1:00 and I can tote around a radio to follow the early games while working at whatever pops its ugly head up at the time. :mellow:

:thumbup: I'd be glad to have the local games blacked outThe Giants and the Jets are the worst to watch if you are not a home town fan - it is literally painful....and you see even fewer non-local teams because they won't put a game against a local game.Last year w/out DTV I actually did housework/laundry - anything to not sit through the new york garbage.:winding up: Don't even get me started on the yankees/mets abortion that is baseball :wall:

In nine years with Directv, I can honestly tell you that weather has interrupted my service maybe three times, and each time it has been back up within ten minutes. I live in New Engalnd, as well. We get some of the nastiest weather conditions you can imagine.
I'm impressed--and amazed. I'm in NC, and have had DirectTV for at easily that long I think--but I'll lose a signal for an hour at a time at least a half dozen times a year. Maybe there's something with the placement of the different satellites? In general--I'd say your odds are pretty good even at that not to worry about any inclement weather problem.

But just for a personal negative--no way I'd get the Sunday Ticket for myself. It sounds exciting and all that, but after all the prep I do all week, there's no way I can lock down the full day watching tv no matter what is on unless I'm bedridden for some reason! My best Sundays--unless I'm at the game--are when Carolina is playing at 1:00 and I can tote around a radio to follow the early games while working at whatever pops its ugly head up at the time. :mellow:
Yeah - I agree - snowy Sundays in Colorado are spotty at best - especially if you live in a mt town.It is siomething to consider if you have a less than perfect southern shot or if you live in an area that experiences severe weather during the NFL season.

Realitically, to get the FULL effect from the ticket you probably need 16 TV's to have all the games on at one time.
Not exactly. ;) Most Sundays last year, there were exactly nine 1:00 games, which is how I arrived at the number of TVs that I needed. Only four Sundays did they bring more than nine games at 1:00, and every time it was EXACTLY ten games. On those weeks, there is always going to be one game that you don't have money on, or you have no fantasy players going. But even still, I bring it up on the big screen from time to time.
I guess you need nine receivers for this... isnt that an extra $45 a month?
Well, not quite. It's an extra $40 a month. I always had the HD receiver set up.So, eight more non-HD receivers x $5/mo.

That's the only overhead once all of the equipment is paid for. No brainer.
Raidernation,Don't hold me to this but it is my understanding that you can freely turn on and off receivers on a weekly basis. My plan is to turn my HD receiver on Sunday and Monday and off the rest of the week. The pain is that you have to call it in but let's say you just turn on the receiver 4 times a month you can cut that $5 to under 0.70.

Like I said, don't hold me to this but I'm giving it a test run this year. The rep on the phone said it was totally within my right to do. I can't see why DirecTV would allow it because of the added work involved but they are trying to keep customers so what ever makes the customer happy is what they typically do...

-PSA

I feel I should mention another possible downside...What do you do on sunday? If you have all day sunday to sit in front of the TV, then it is totally worth it.My problem is that my golf group plays every sunday morning so I have to decide whether I want to miss the first half of the early games. The early games are the main reason for the ticket, there are usually only a few late games.And of course, anytime the wife/girlfriend wants to do something on sunday you feel like you are wasting what you paid for.If you can watch 4+ hours of football almost every sunday, then go for it.

I had the ticket for 2 years and I have cancelled it this year. I loved the ticket but it sucks your life right out of you. As someone else said I was starting to watch football with ESPN pregame and didnt stop until after ESPN game at night. I LOVE football but it was taking to much away from my family and life in general.If I was single I would be on it in a heartbeat. Married with kids I will still watch a lot of football but I cant justify over 12 hrs of it in one day. :bag:
This is what I was saying.Good job making the right decision for your situation. Seriously. :thumbup:

I feel I should mention another possible downside...What do you do on sunday? If you have all day sunday to sit in front of the TV, then it is totally worth it.My problem is that my golf group plays every sunday morning so I have to decide whether I want to miss the first half of the early games. The early games are the main reason for the ticket, there are usually only a few late games.And of course, anytime the wife/girlfriend wants to do something on sunday you feel like you are wasting what you paid for.If you can watch 4+ hours of football almost every sunday, then go for it.
I have a wife who knows I love football and three grown children making a life for themselves ( although the oldest keeps coming back on Sunday's in the fall for dinner and football) WITHOUT the Ticket I watch football from start to finish on Sundays,and,as a Giants fan living in Central Florida I'm usually stuck with 2 and sometimes 3 of the worst games of the week. I've had my fill of Bucs,Jags(although they may be fun to watch this year) and especially DOLPHANS! I think it will be well worth it.

It's a great investment. Fortunately for me, my wife knew I was a huge football fan before we were married. I would go to Raider Games when they were here in LA, so she didn't see me on Sunday and still married me. I figure it is 17 days out of 365, any wife not willing to let you have that....well, that is too bad.

Here is my set up.

I also roll out a portable TV for the local game to make it 8 at a time.

Realitically, to get the FULL effect from the ticket you probably need 16 TV's to have all the games on at one time.
Not exactly. ;) Most Sundays last year, there were exactly nine 1:00 games, which is how I arrived at the number of TVs that I needed. Only four Sundays did they bring more than nine games at 1:00, and every time it was EXACTLY ten games. On those weeks, there is always going to be one game that you don't have money on, or you have no fantasy players going. But even still, I bring it up on the big screen from time to time.
I guess you need nine receivers for this... isnt that an extra $45 a month?
Well, not quite. It's an extra $40 a month. I always had the HD receiver set up.So, eight more non-HD receivers x $5/mo.

That's the only overhead once all of the equipment is paid for. No brainer.
Raidernation,Don't hold me to this but it is my understanding that you can freely turn on and off receivers on a weekly basis. My plan is to turn my HD receiver on Sunday and Monday and off the rest of the week. The pain is that you have to call it in but let's say you just turn on the receiver 4 times a month you can cut that $5 to under 0.70.

Like I said, don't hold me to this but I'm giving it a test run this year. The rep on the phone said it was totally within my right to do. I can't see why DirecTV would allow it because of the added work involved but they are trying to keep customers so what ever makes the customer happy is what they typically do...

-PSA
Philly,I cannot confirm whether your understanding of this is correct or not. I typically keep the receivers activated year round. When football isn't on, I can still watch several MLB and NHL games at once. Not the NBA though.... that has become unwatchable.

Hey, Naked...You posted that pic here last June or July. You were my inspiration to go out and get the set up that I did. Honestly, I would not have even thought of such a thing. I bought the 8 TVs in August, and spent that whole month building the oak boxes that the TVs are in. The TVs did not have flat tops, so they were not "stackable" ... I had to build boxes for them. But it was a labor of love. By the time the season began, I was ready.

I'm such a huge NFL fan, this type of setup was tailor made for someone like me.

A sincere thanks for the idea! ;)

It's a great investment. Fortunately for me, my wife knew I was a huge football fan before we were married. I would go to Raider Games when they were here in LA, so she didn't see me on Sunday and still married me. I figure it is 17 days out of 365, any wife not willing to let you have that....well, that is too bad.Here is my set up.I also roll out a portable TV for the local game to make it 8 at a time.
That coffee table kicks ###! How about a closer view of it???Oh yeah, and that setup is about as nice as Ive seen. Raidernation has 2 more TVs and a big screen, but I like the layout of your setup better. Nice work.PS You seem to be watching the same game on all 7 tds. Either you really REALLY like your favorite team, or your just too lazy to change channels ;)

I love Naked's setup also. A couple of questions for him.- Did you build that entertainment center yourself? I can build boxes, but something like that is out of my league. How much do you figure it would cost me to have something like that constructed where the 8 TVs surround the big screen in a fashion like yours?Also, how big are your smaller TVs? My small ones are 20" each, and they are heavy as hell. Would that be a huge problem in setting up a design like what you have?TIA

It's a great investment. Fortunately for me, my wife knew I was a huge football fan before we were married. I would go to Raider Games when they were here in LA, so she didn't see me on Sunday and still married me. I figure it is 17 days out of 365, any wife not willing to let you have that....well, that is too bad.Here is my set up.I also roll out a portable TV for the local game to make it 8 at a time.
That coffee table kicks ###! How about a closer view of it???Oh yeah, and that setup is about as nice as Ive seen. Raidernation has 2 more TVs and a big screen, but I like the layout of your setup better. Nice work.PS You seem to be watching the same game on all 7 tds. Either you really REALLY like your favorite team, or your just too lazy to change channels ;)
That coffee table is a coutout with a glass top. I put an old Electric football game inside of the Table, it is cool.On the pictures on the screens... that shot was taken not during football season.

Just throwing this in here (don't know if I should start a new topic in the FFA fourm):

In Toronto (and I assume other areas Rogers serves in Canada) you can get Sunday Ticket for $169 for the season. However, you can save some bucks by getting the "Super Sports Pack" for $25 per month which has all baseball, football, and hockey games. The minimum committment is 4 months, which makes it $100 for the entire football season (Sept - Dec).

However - this automatically renews at the end of the 4 months, and for a second 4 month term, so if you don't want to stay hooked up for hockey only, you must cancell at the end of December.

$100 for NFL Sunday Ticket? Now that's cheap! Oh - and this is Canadian dollars, so that's only about $75 US.

Sometimes being in Canada IS good!

I love Naked's setup also. A couple of questions for him.- Did you build that entertainment center yourself? I can build boxes, but something like that is out of my league. How much do you figure it would cost me to have something like that constructed where the 8 TVs surround the big screen in a fashion like yours?Also, how big are your smaller TVs? My small ones are 20" each, and they are heavy as hell. Would that be a huge problem in setting up a design like what you have?TIA
The unit was built for the equipment I have. I believe they are 19 or 20", not sure exactly. It cost me about $2000, not cheap, but needed something to custom & Black... you know, gotta have it Raider colors.You don't have to got that elaborate. It's all good no matter how you set it up when it's football.

I love Naked's setup also. A couple of questions for him.

- Did you build that entertainment center yourself? I can build boxes, but something like that is out of my league. How much do you figure it would cost me to have something like that constructed where the 8 TVs surround the big screen in a fashion like yours?

Also, how big are your smaller TVs? My small ones are 20" each, and they are heavy as hell. Would that be a huge problem in setting up a design like what you have?

TIA
The unit was built for the equipment I have. I believe they are 19 or 20", not sure exactly. It cost me about $2000, not cheap, but needed something to custom & Black... you know, gotta have it Raider colors.You don't have to got that elaborate. It's all good no matter how you set it up when it's football.
Very cool, thanks. It's definitely a tricky situation. Whatever I have built, it's going to be unbelievably heavy. But you have to work around the back of the unit every now and then, changing wires and rearranging stuff.I'm moving into a new (much bigger) place next week. I'll have to sit down and try to picture what would be the best place for everything. Maybe I'll have a dream about "my space", like Norm did when he was an interior decorator in Cheers. ;)

Dah dum dum dum dum .... another one bites the dust.Just ordered it myself :thumbup: Thanks to all who contributed to this article. i have been meaning to do this for a while but you all inspired me.Now I ordered myself a one room HD setup, and I have to keep it running for a year. Now I want to run at least one more non HD tv during the season (for starters ahem, RaiderNation). so I can watch at least two games at once. He told me to get another regular reciver so I could shut it off after the season started. This sound right to you all?

Dah dum dum dum dum .... another one bites the dust.Just ordered it myself :thumbup: Thanks to all who contributed to this article. i have been meaning to do this for a while but you all inspired me.Now I ordered myself a one room HD setup, and I have to keep it running for a year. Now I want to run at least one more non HD tv during the season (for starters ahem, RaiderNation). so I can watch at least two games at once. He told me to get another regular reciver so I could shut it off after the season started. This sound right to you all?
Congrats for taking the plunge, and "yes" to your question at the end. After football season, simply call Directv and tell them you wish to deactivate the non-HD receiver.

Just throwing this in here (don't know if I should start a new topic in the FFA fourm):

In Toronto (and I assume other areas Rogers serves in Canada) you can get Sunday Ticket for $169 for the season. However, you can save some bucks by getting the "Super Sports Pack" for $25 per month which has all baseball, football, and hockey games. The minimum committment is 4 months, which makes it $100 for the entire football season (Sept - Dec).

However - this automatically renews at the end of the 4 months, and for a second 4 month term, so if you don't want to stay hooked up for hockey only, you must cancell at the end of December.

$100 for NFL Sunday Ticket? Now that's cheap! Oh - and this is Canadian dollars, so that's only about $75 US.

Yeah, but we get American football in English.

Well I just checked into the cost.

For less than $100/month I can get the basic package and the Ticket. Unfortunantly I have no local phone line, so I would not be able to get the TiVo/DVR deal. I also run my internet through my cable comp.

Just check into the Satellite Broadband service....ouch.

$600.

http://hns.getdway.com/home_service.html

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys with more than one or two boxes change channels??

Doesn't the remote try to control one or two boxes at once?

I am sure that some of you have say one box that is "Deluxe" Tivo/DVR or HD but what about the other cheapo models aren't they all the same?

RaiderNation it may be easier and cheaper than you think to get something made, I used to work for a place that sold Teak furniture imported from Indonesia. We could get just about any type of TV Amoire made in solid teak or mahogany if you gave 'em the dimenions you wanted and based it off some sort of pre-existing design

ChicTeak

Not Pimping the joint but you should have something similiar to where you are, but really you are just looking at two tall boxes with molding and one tall and wide one with molding. I cannot see the feet of Naked's setup but it does not appear to have 'em and with as much wait as you mentioned I would forgo 'em too.

With that said I have new weekend project and it is to make me an electro football table, damn that thing is tight. Wonder if I could get some sort of plexiglass top with enuff room to reach a hand inside to actually set the men up to play, any ideas.

hold on hold on hold on...what's this about the local channels? I don't (won't) forsake my Bucs games for this.

you lose your local channels if you sign up for this?
i glanced through the thread and didn't see the answer. if it has been answered already, sorry.obviously, you can receive your local channels via directv (if you're in a market that they serve). otherwise i believe that you can get network feeds from NY and such.

what's a big negative issue regarding the local channels (just started to be inforced last year) is the fact that if a game is shown on CBS or Fox in your local market, you can't see those games on The Ticket. they will be blacked out in the 700s and in the HD channels. I have an OTA antenna, so i get the detroit locals in HD anyway....but if i didn't, i'd be pissed.

I am going to be signing up also very shortly.I am a little nervous about what type of signal I will be able to receive. We have a lot of big trees in my yard and the rest of the neighborhood. I would assume they would try everything possible to get a signal.Has anyone ever been turned down because of an obstructed view? Has anyone been surprised they were able to get a signal, because you had some obstructions in the way?Please help put my mind at ease.

I have Bell satellite but last year got cable (Rogers) from Sept to Dec. for the Sunday Ticket. Cost a bit to run both at the same time but was well worth it especially with the $25/month sports package (who the hell would pay the full price for the NFL ticket when you only have commit to 4 months of the sports package and still get the NFL). This year Bell Expressvu is also offering the NFL Sunday Ticket so won't have to get cable as well. BTW, another good thing about being Canadian for NFL football ... no blackouts, at least not in Ottawa. Think they may blackout out Buffalo games in Toronto, Detroit games in Windsor, and Seattle games in Vancouver if not sold out.

Some comments to add to this thread:-those of you getting DirecTV, make sure the installers aren't a bunch of lazy bums, like mine were. They left the cable from the dish to the house above ground (I had to bury it after they left and I realized what they did), and my TVs were on the other side of large rooms from the phone jack, so they never hooked up the receiver to a phone line. I'm guessing this will be a problem if I decide to go DVR with DirecTV (which I will, after I've paid for the Ticket for 2004).-regarding the weather issues: yeah, you can lose signal in really bad weather, but I rememer losing Time-Warner cable every time it rained in Raleigh when we lived there. No big issue, as the cable commercials try to make it.Oh yeah, and the Ticket flat out rocks. Well worth the dough. :thumbup:

I am going to be signing up also very shortly.I am a little nervous about what type of signal I will be able to receive. We have a lot of big trees in my yard and the rest of the neighborhood. I would assume they would try everything possible to get a signal.Has anyone ever been turned down because of an obstructed view? Has anyone been surprised they were able to get a signal, because you had some obstructions in the way?Please help put my mind at ease.
Same here and no problems. I having more problems with my over the air HDTV atn then anything.

Another simple alternitive to recieve the "blacked out" homer games is to registar the set out side the blackout area. Here in Rochester NY, Bills games are blacked out when the don't sell out. I had the set registared and my bills sent to my parents in Syracuse and I get all the normaly blacked out games!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, to clarify some wrongs on the blackout rules. NOTE: blackout and "brownout" rules don't care *how* you get your local channels. If they aren't offered by DirecTV it doesn't matter.1) Blackout - Typical 72 hour sellout rule that has been in place for decades. If you live in an NFL market and your local team doesn't sell out then the game is blacked out for *all sources*. This means OTA (you know, the old antenna), cable, or satellite (Sunday Ticket included).2) Brownout - This is typically known as a "brownout" on the satellite forums since it's not really a blackout.This one is new, started 2 years ago as a test in Pittsburgh and Seattle, went national last year. Note it's the NFL and local affiliates enforcing this rule, DirecTV certainly doesn't want to bother with it.The brownout rule is simple:Whatever games are shown on your local FOX and CBS station in your area may be "blacked out" on Sunday Ticket. Doesn't matter what your local team is and doesn't matter how you get your locals. So on Sept 12th the Lions vs. Bears game will be on my local Fox station. It may be blacked out on Sunday Ticket so I need to watch it on my local Fox instead. That could be either by getting my locals via DirecTV, get cable, get an antenna, or whatever.Why "may"? Because it wasn't enforced in all markets last year. It was generally enforced only in the NFL markets last year. Thus if you lived in Green Bay it was enforced but those in L.A. it was *not* enforced. I live in market #38 or so, not an NFL city and I was not subject to these brownouts.This year? Who knows. Guaranteed it will be in at least the markets it was in last year but count on them being everywhere. If they don't enforce in your market then it's a bonus.Now for the most part this brownout rule isn't a big deal, just watch it on your local station. What sucks is if your local station switches to another game or something then the game you were watching is probably still blacked on on ST. However, usually a quick call to DirecTV can get the channel unlocked for you, but YMMV on that one. I'm sure they will have a better detection system in place this year.I'm sure you can see the nightmare on DirecTV's hands to monitor hundres of local stations to find out if they switched to a different game or not.Anyway, I hope that doesn't confuse anyone but I wanted to get all the facts out there. All this an more can be found at the various satellite and home theater forums such as www.avsforum.com, www.dbsforums.com, www.tivocommunity.com, www.dbstalk.com and www.satelliteguys.us

Some comments to add to this thread:-those of you getting DirecTV, make sure the installers aren't a bunch of lazy bums, like mine were. They left the cable from the dish to the house above ground (I had to bury it after they left and I realized what they did), and my TVs were on the other side of large rooms from the phone jack, so they never hooked up the receiver to a phone line. I'm guessing this will be a problem if I decide to go DVR with DirecTV (which I will, after I've paid for the Ticket for 2004).
Just to let you know with the DVR you do not need to have a phone line connected unless you want to buy pay per view. The guide data comes down over the sattelite. What I do is about once a month I drag out a long phone cable hook it up for 2 mins to check for software updates (cause they do come over the phone line) and then disconnect. I haven't had a lot of success but you could also use the RCA remote telephone jacks.-PSA

What advantage is there to going through another company instead of just going directly through DirectTV?I checked the special offers, and it seems like DirectTV has the best one out there.Why did some of you guys go through different subsidiaries?

I am sure that some of you have say one box that is "Deluxe" Tivo/DVR or HD but what about the other cheapo models aren't they all the same?

RaiderNation it may be easier and cheaper than you think to get something made, I used to work for a place that sold Teak furniture imported from Indonesia. We could get just about any type of TV Amoire made in solid teak or mahogany if you gave 'em the dimenions you wanted and based it off some sort of pre-existing design

ChicTeak
Thanks for the heads up about Chic Teak.Regarding how I change my channels.... I don't. As I said earlier, there are exactly nine games on most Sundays at 1:00. The eight smaller TVs have Hughes receivers dedicated to them. A Sony HD receiver connects to the big screen. So the remote that I use for the Sony will not accidently change the stations on all of the smaller TVs. I know in advance what channel each game will be on, so right before game time I manually punch in the channel I need on each receiver and I'm set for the next 3 hours.

The volume always stays on whichever game is on the big screen. It would drive me crazy trying to listen to nine games at once. Juat watching them is good enough.

What advantage is there to going through another company instead of just going directly through DirectTV?I checked the special offers, and it seems like DirectTV has the best one out there.Why did some of you guys go through different subsidiaries?
The biggest advantage I see with DirecTV is that they are deseparately interested in your business and are typically flexible in what they'll offer you in "package" deals.-PSA

I went through Expert Satellite. They have a web-site but if you use them call the 800 # to talk to a real person. DirectTv was offering 3 rooms with 4 free months of the premium programming if you subscribed to the Ticket,plus a DVD player. Expert Satellite is offering the same deal only for 4 rooms and I also got the Hi-DEF programming package for 6 months free. I'm not endorsing them but so far my dealings with them have been very good. I have a question for those of you with DirctTV,is it ABSOLUTLEY necessary to have every reciever hooked to a phone line? Can I just hook up my main HD reciever to a phone line? Thanks,the response to this post has been awesome.

I just signed up from it last week and switched from cable. By signing up I received 4 free months of the premier service ($90 value), free installation and equipment, and NFL Sunday Ticket for 4 payments of $62. The premier service includes all sports channels and all movie channels. I was paying over $50 month for cable so this was a no brainer for me.

This will be my first year with the Ticket and I can't wait. :yes:
Just signed up for the same deal. JUST DO IT!!!

ChicTeak
Thanks for the heads up about Chic Teak.Regarding how I change my channels.... I don't. As I said earlier, there are exactly nine games on most Sundays at 1:00. The eight smaller TVs have Hughes receivers dedicated to them. A Sony HD receiver connects to the big screen. So the remote that I use for the Sony will not accidently change the stations on all of the smaller TVs. I know in advance what channel each game will be on, so right before game time I manually punch in the channel I need on each receiver and I'm set for the next 3 hours.

The volume always stays on whichever game is on the big screen. It would drive me crazy trying to listen to nine games at once. Juat watching them is good enough.
That is dedication.

as well as watch/tape 2 games at the same time. That way you can watch your "main game" and then use the other input to flip between games.
How would you set up your TV and DIRECTV DVR to watch two games at the same time?

How would you set up your TV and DIRECTV DVR to watch two games at the same time?
No real way to do this since there is only one output from a DirecTV Tivo to your TV. So if you're looking for PIP you're out of luck.-PSA

Users who are viewing this thread