What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor League Participants Poll (1 Viewer)

Do you subscribe to FBG

• Yes - every year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - never have

• Not yet, but will in 2008

• Have before but undecided for 2008

• Lucky me I'm on the staff!

• Total voters

ShadowPhunk

Footballguy
With the recent hoopla caused by the banner ads and discussions of possible subsciber only boards, I want see if all of the survivor players would still be around to compete in WSL, SSL, MBSL, Captains Quorum, etc.

With the recent hoopla caused by the banner ads and discussions of possible subsciber only boards, I want see if all of the survivor players would still be around to compete in WSL, SSL, MBSL, Captains Quorum, etc.
I personally think everything would be better if the boards were subscriber only....Those that contribute most and were not subscibers would probably sign up and then you would get rid of most of the riff raff and the content quality would probably shoot back up.Might even cut down on the amount of alia and people signing up for bogus accounts just to provoke and post messages incognito.

I personally think everything would be better if the boards were subscriber only....Those that contribute most and were not subscibers would probably sign up and then you would get rid of most of the riff raff and the content quality would probably shoot back up.Might even cut down on the amount of alia and people signing up for bogus accounts just to provoke and post messages incognito.
I agree, just want to guage the impact.I put the poll in here because this is where alot of the year round die hards gather and I think it will make for a good sample.

I've often though about just posting some rankings and stuff in this forum anyway cause I really want peoples opinons that are in here. Often in the Shark pool it gets clouded by Pats stuff or Vick stuf last year etc.

I've often though about just posting some rankings and stuff in this forum anyway cause I really want peoples opinons that are in here. Often in the Shark pool it gets clouded by Pats stuff or Vick stuf last year etc.
I'm okay with that :)

Part of that proplem with that is you cannot attract new people easily.None of us were here 10 years ago, so try and think back to when you weren't an FBG. Would you have signed up for a message board if you couldn't see the content?Part of the attraction of the board is to just tell people to check it out. It's free, why not.Sure there's crap - we can't avoid that entirely - but we try and weed it out. It's not always easy (and frankly we often get tired of dealing with it at times as well).The best thing you can do as FBGs is report any crap you see so we can purge it.

I personally think everything would be better if the boards were subscriber only....Those that contribute most and were not subscibers would probably sign up and then you would get rid of most of the riff raff and the content quality would probably shoot back up.

Might even cut down on the amount of alia and people signing up for bogus accounts just to provoke and post messages incognito.
I'm okay with that :lmao:
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...p;#entry8178932http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...=374862&hl=

Part of that proplem with that is you cannot attract new people easily.None of us were here 10 years ago, so try and think back to when you weren't an FBG. Would you have signed up for a message board if you couldn't see the content?Part of the attraction of the board is to just tell people to check it out. It's free, why not.Sure there's crap - we can't avoid that entirely - but we try and weed it out. It's not always easy (and frankly we often get tired of dealing with it at times as well).The best thing you can do as FBGs is report any crap you see so we can purge it.
Part of the problem with that Jeff is that there is no good place for the subscribers to discuss amongst themselves or with staff any of the paid for articles/information.Joe and David know how I feel about this - voiced several times - and I understand part of what their response is, but I think you would still have great traffic but MORE value for subscribers if there were a Members board and a General (free) board.

I personally think everything would be better if the boards were subscriber only....Those that contribute most and were not subscibers would probably sign up and then you would get rid of most of the riff raff and the content quality would probably shoot back up.

Might even cut down on the amount of alia and people signing up for bogus accounts just to provoke and post messages incognito.
Part of that proplem with that is you cannot attract new people easily.None of us were here 10 years ago, so try and think back to when you weren't an FBG. Would you have signed up for a message board if you couldn't see the content?

Part of the attraction of the board is to just tell people to check it out. It's free, why not.
The Fantasy AND Internet landscapes were much different then and I'd say that I think FBG's at this point has enough of a base that those people would be willing to pay up in order to get better information....

I found cheatsheets.net pretty easily then and recognized it as the best source early on. I think people will still find this place since at this point it should have and continue to get name recognition with the magazine in place and such.. Word of mouth and referals could help.... Besides, some of the competitors charge as well.....

Just a guess but, i'd think that the Great majority of people who come here to "try it out" don't add much and the better contributor would come from a referal or someone who knows why they are coming here in the 1st place.

Another problem going forward is that as the base of fans that helped this site develop get older, we're going to encounter new "Teens and younger 20-somethings" every year and each time you'll have your % of jokesters, the next :fill in Trying to be funny FBG:.... The Shark Pool will continue to be overrun with newbies thinking they invented some new schtik we've all seen 100 times already.

I think locking in your base is more important than anything especially when you'll still get newbies AND the base itself is more than willing to pay up.....

Hey, if you're the best, people will pay. Just maybe FBG makes MORE money AND has better content with charging - I'm thinking it could be the best of both worlds. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the subscriber content sells the site. The boards build a community of the subscribers.Lower bandwidth and hardware costs are another way to grow the site in a positive way.I guess only the staff would have access to the true numbers, but I'd be curious as heck to know how many regular contributors on the boards are not subscribers. I'd bet most are.

I'm a non-subscriber who is pretty new to this whole fantasy stuff (started in 2005). I'm not opposed to ads on the site, but I am opposed to paying for content. I'd chime in with my opinion but it really just comes down to folks' business plans. There are hundreds of pay-sites out there. Some good, some bad. There are even more free sites. Some good, some bad. Probably the least common out of all of them is a free site that's good. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm a non-subscriber who is pretty new to this whole fantasy stuff (started in 2005). I'm not opposed to ads on the site, but I am opposed to paying for content. I'd chime in with my opinion but it really just comes down to folks' business plans. There are hundreds of pay-sites out there. Some good, some bad. There are even more free sites. Some good, some bad. Probably the least common out of all of them is a free site that's good. There's nothing wrong with that.
You really should check out what we have to offer in our pay section, starting after the draft (you can get a good deal on our magazine plus the subscription).I think everything from 07 now is free (not sure) so you can look back at all we had to offer.For a few years before I was ever on staff, the Draft Dominator was worth it to me. Then the contests for big $ were also available so that was another bonus.Just those two things alone are usually worth the $25-ish bucks. If that's not in your budget, I totally understand - but you should see what we do have to offer. There's really no site that comes close, IMHO - which is why I'm part of this site.

sorry, but I am really having a hard time trying out to figure what you are saying here - except that you don't want to pay for a FF site

sorry, but I am really having a hard time trying out to figure what you are saying here - except that you don't want to pay for a FF site
i was saying i don't like to pay for FF sites. also that if i were going to, i'd have a terrible time choosing which ones to pay for. FBG may be very good, but it doesn't stand out for a noob like me as any different from a variety of other sites.where FBG may stand out is in it's free and active mboards and it's community.

i was saying i don't like to pay for FF sites. also that if i were going to, i'd have a terrible time choosing which ones to pay for. FBG may be very good, but it doesn't stand out for a noob like me as any different from a variety of other sites.where FBG may stand out is in it's free and active mboards and it's community.
I'm curious to see what sites you put FBGs in comparison to - seriously.Part of FBG is to expand subscriber base. If what you say is true and that you can't tell a difference, that's valuable to me because that means FBG is not separating itself.

FBG is NOT free - the message boards are free. But the projections, cheatsheets, rankings and lots of other valuable articles are a ridiculously low (IMO) $24.99.

FBG is NOT free - the message boards are free. But the projections, cheatsheets, rankings and lots of other valuable articles are a ridiculously low (IMO) $24.99.
no offense but i think maybe you've got a reading problem.

Jeff Pasquino said:
el super gringo said:
You really should check out what we have to offer in our pay section, starting after the draft (you can get a good deal on our magazine plus the subscription).I think everything from 07 now is free (not sure) so you can look back at all we had to offer.For a few years before I was ever on staff, the Draft Dominator was worth it to me. Then the contests for big $ were also available so that was another bonus.Just those two things alone are usually worth the $25-ish bucks. If that's not in your budget, I totally understand - but you should see what we do have to offer. There's really no site that comes close, IMHO - which is why I'm part of this site.
About 3 or 4 years ago, I caught wind of the VBD app (excel version), which led me to the Draft Dominator. That tool alone was worth my $25. Since then, I've been a subscriber, and I can tell you that I've paid for other services over the years and none come close, IMO, to the amount of quality content being put out here. I've taken advantage of the 3 year deal, and if another longterm offer is thrown out, I'll jump on that, too_One aspect of FBG's that I really like is the wide range of rankings, the sheer number of contributors to the overall rankings. I haven't spent much time on the boards here until this year, and this is the first offseason I've spent hanging around the MB. Aside from the Patriots related beatings ( tough year to be a Pats fan on these boards ) all year long, the amount of excellent information being passed along the boards now is amazing. I don't have near the access some of the regulars do, but I am gleaning a tremendous amount of information across the league that I've never seen before. I'm uncertain if a members only board would be as good. It seems that this forum, for example, appears to be limited to a small number of subscribers. Maybe a members only forum, or members only post ( all can read ) forum could be useful, but I think that the MBs may be a way for FBGs to find new paying members. Its a great way to direct other FF enthusiasts here ( as long as they don't play in your league :devil: )

I think making this a PG board with personal attacks discouraged is a huge contribution towards taking out the junior high locker room stuff.

That leaves people to discuss and say what they think. Brainstorming from genius to fat, dumb and stupid.

That does not say how good they are at this hobby.

The accessability to the expert staff opinions and defense of their rankings and why they have them is one of the things that makes this site special.

The community forms around the football discussion.

From rankings discussions

to impact of an event discussions

to the Survivor Leagues.

The more people read or participate, the better they can use the content (subscriber or otherwise.)

The amount of experts and discussions is another good facet.

An improvement is to challenge every expert (FBG or otherwise) you can get to explain their rankings or opinions.

Perhaps a forum that has experts, staff, posters with a short bio on how they approach the hobby (talent evaluation, stats, strategy...)

The more expert groups you can get to participate here, the better the content.

What do they want in a forum? How do you attract the best of the best to discuss fantasy football?

Respect, money...

No website is going to have perfect rankings or projections. The quality of discussion and the community that forms around it is the most important.

PS: I just hope the subscription doesn't get too expensive.

Captain Hook said:
el super gringo said:
Captain Hook said:
el super gringo said:
The message boards are paid for by the subscriptions. I like having everyone able to be involved if it does not cause a negative impacet.The catch 22 is - the message boards COST more than the static content site to run. More users, more data = more bandwidth usages and costs and more hardware costs to maintain acceptable performance.With the new ad network going into place, the subscribers are bound to ask and want to know - well what if we cut out those who don't pay? What is the impact? How much value is lost? How much activity is lost?I think most regulars around here subscribe.

REAPER- you read my mind!

GRINGO- It's NOT the quantity of FBG "stuff" (I don't use half of what is available--unfortunately because I am lazy, a more hoenst assesment than the "cop out" I DON'T HAVE THE TIME), IT IS THE QUALITY of it. Pure and simple.I have been following FBG's since BEFORE it was a paid site,and an original subscriber-- the reliability of its "stuff" has NOT declined one iota. FBG's ".02" is worth a small fortune to me.

Users who are viewing this thread