What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sweet Sleepers for 2017 (2 Viewers)

I think Ryu has to be picked up at this point.  Hasn't really pitched much in the last two years, but when he does pitch he's pretty brilliant (1 start last year notwithstanding) and he's starting the year in the rotation.  The Dodgers are arguably the best team in baseball (though some of that is due to the rotation, which doesn't benefit Ryu) and they have aggressively bought into shifting and defensive positioning, which should only benefit a guy who's posted a below average career BABIP of .308

Not expecting much, but the price is about right given the upside. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ryu has to be picked up at this point.  Hasn't really pitched much in the last two years, but when he does pitch he's pretty brilliant (1 start last year notwithstanding) and he's starting the year in the rotation.  The Dodgers are arguably the best team in baseball (though some of that is due to the rotation, which doesn't benefit Ryu) and they have aggressively bought into shifting and defensive positioning, which should only benefit a guy who's posted a below average career BABIP of .308

I think you can wait til April in many league's.  The upside is undeniable, but so are his health issues.  Watch him pitch a couple of times and if it goes well drop whatever dead weight surfaces for him then.

I think Ryu has to be picked up at this point.  Hasn't really pitched much in the last two years,
4 2/3's innings since 2014 is hasn't pitched at all the last two years.

Coming off elbow injury, on a team with a very deep rotation of starters.  Pass.  if he has a remarkable come back season good on you for this call.  I think the chance of this are extremely slim.

My undervalued players - OBP leegs

C - Zunino
This was a pretty solid list here....except I need to vehemently disagree with Zunino. OBP league or not.  I know he still young but I just don't see much upside here to a catcher that is going to hit bottom of the lineup, has a very very low batting average, his OBP last year was a career best .318 in a 1/3 of a season (lifetime OBP of .262 :X  ) 

He may hit 25 homers this year.  But wind up with 50 runs, 60 rbis and kill you in every other category be it obp or average

Unless your league is very deep, or AL only, I don't even think this guy is draftable

4 2/3's innings since 2014 is hasn't pitched at all the last two years.

Coming off elbow injury, on a team with a very deep rotation of starters.  Pass.  if he has a remarkable come back season good on you for this call.  I think the chance of this are extremely slim.
I was counting his minor league games, bullpen sessions, tossing in the backyard with his kids, etc  :D

That's all fair though, and I'm not talking about betting even money that he pitches a full season.  But I think for the price, he's worth the gamble.  I'm not talking about spending a draft pick on him, though in deeper leagues I'd probably take a late round flyer.

If nothing else, he's a decent streamer when he does pitch.

True.  I'm probably a bit jaded as most all of the leagues I am drafting are quite shallow (10-12 mixed leagues) so take that for what it's worth.

This was a pretty solid list here....except I need to vehemently disagree with Zunino. OBP league or not.  I know he still young but I just don't see much upside here to a catcher that is going to hit bottom of the lineup, has a very very low batting average, his OBP last year was a career best .318 in a 1/3 of a season (lifetime OBP of .262 :X  ) 

He may hit 25 homers this year.  But wind up with 50 runs, 60 rbis and kill you in every other category be it obp or average

Unless your league is very deep, or AL only, I don't even think this guy is draftable
I think he's a 2nd catcher.  He isn't a prime target of mine, but he's on my radar.  If he's out there once I DL Murphy then I may add him.  O-swing + Z-swing have each improved 3 years running, his hard ball % last year is noteworthy, and his ISO was not a one time thing.  There's legit 240/340 upside w/25-30 HR.  The catcher position is fairly brutal, per usual, so if you ignore it I think he's a better dart than a Cervelli or a Leon.

Yeah, this was more of a 2 catcher league recommendation. I feel like after Grandal, you can pretty much toss all the names in a hat and Zunino will likely still be available in the late rounds. He's another "swing adjustment" guy :wub: . Got sent to the minors last year, made an adjustment, came back and significantly boosted his contact rate.  

I think Ryu depends on the depth of your league, makeup of your roster, and your own personal risk aversion. I'd take a chance on him over guys like CC/Colon/Buckholz, but I'd rather have guys like EdRod/Folty if they're still available. For me, he falls somewhere in the Severino/Berrios territory. 

my man Ryu hitting his stride lately

He's been great. And he still wasn't a "sleeper" in any league I drafted this spring.
:ptts:

You should have just dropped this because now you are really coming off as a jackass.  You also seem to lack reading comprehension, which astounds me.  Let's go back to my original statement. 

Guys I think will outperform their draft positions rather easily
:bye:

if you've drafted with me, some sleepers I like are:

ian kennedy

alex cobb

jose reyes

trevor plouffe

maybe jed lowrie

kevin pillar

melky cabrera

jharel cotton
cobb and cobb are ooof.  reyes waking up.  kennedy has been real good.  the others play.

I always liked Paxton and was on him the last 2 years, hence his injuries and lack of performance.  I decided to add him to my no fly list, hence his performance and now maddux like health.

:ptts:

You should have just dropped this because now you are really coming off as a jackass.  You also seem to lack reading comprehension, which astounds me.  Let's go back to my original statement. 

:bye:
I'm coming off as a jackass because Peyton bumped a post after 5 starts? My response wasn't even directed at you, it was directed at the person who quoted me. You've done better work, sir.

I always liked Paxton and was on him the last 2 years, hence his injuries and lack of performance.  I decided to add him to my no fly list, hence his performance and now maddux like health.
you need to publish this no fly list so we can all take advantage  :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread