What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Take a 0 from defense to secure a win? (1 Viewer)

bweiser

Footballguy
Opponent is up by about 4 points. Has Carolina defense. No rule saying you have to start a D if you have one, so he pulled them to ensure he doesn't get negative points.

I think he's going to win regardless, but I made the point that I don't think it's in the spirit of the game to play no defense and take the ZERO.

Anyone else have a moral compass like I do?

If its not outlined in the rules your league is bad.

Play to win, play a full roster, don't be a scrub.

Are people this worried about their opponent's lineup when they leave guys in on the bye or leave injured guys in there?

I agree, nothing wrong with it if your rules don't say so.

This is why I like leagues that give $$ for weekly high points and total points for the season.

I don't think it's that clever if points scored are used as tie breakers. There's very slim chances Carolina is scoring negative points.

Got no problem with it, but getting cute seems to hurt more often than helping. Stat adjustments or points for tie breaker biting him in the ### more likely than the panthers scoring worse than -3

You play, to win, the game.

Up four though seems a good enough cushion unless you have some extreme defensive penalties. We have points scored tie breakers so this would make less sense.

That said, if its legal and won't hurt anything down the line, its a smart move.

No moral compass issues with it. He had a win locked up and took the knee. I'd do it

Do you crticize your hometown team for taking 3 straight knees on the last possession and running out the clock that way? Or should they run 3 plays and risk a fumble?

Last edited by a moderator:
No moral compass issues with it. He had a win locked up and took the knee. I'd do it

Do you crticize your hometown team for taking 3 straight knees on the last possession and running out the clock that way? Or should they run 3 plays and risk a fumble?
That is exactly how I view this as. How on earth would this be viewed as anything but a strategy? Why would a league prevent an owner from doing something like this as long as they went into the week with a legal starting lineup?

Had this guy not had a defense in at all Sunday morning, or started a bye week D, you'd probably be thanking your lucky stars, not griping that he needs to find a D.

And he still would have won. Benching Carolina after securing the win is no different than a QB taking a knee to run the clock out

If you have to outline that in the rules your league is bad. Only way this makes the rules is if you have had owners not paying attention and starting players on bye. That's a bad league.

Nothing wrong with kneeling on the ball.

How do you pull a position from your lineup? Do your league rules really say nothing about starting lineup requirements? My league gives an invalid lineup notification if you don't meet the requirements outlined in the league rules. We can start players on bye, though (but it very rarely happens - usually only for an IDP spot if a team has a ton of bye week issues or has been ravaged with injuries and the team doesn't want to spend the money on free agent pickups).

Not sure why you would allow this. Ever. Would you consider not starting a QB? Team defense is a part of your lineup.

If you have to outline that in the rules your league is bad. Only way this makes the rules is if you have had owners not paying attention and starting players on bye. That's a bad league.

I disagree, because you are objectively wrong. You play to score the most points.

I disagree, because you are objectively wrong. You play to score the most points.
I take your earlier advice and play to win. Points aren't as important. I have a big points lead yet have the same record as my division rival. What does that crappy points lead get me if I lose my head to head matchup with him this coming week by 1 point? Yep, nada.

I take your earlier advice and play to win. Points aren't as important. I have a big points lead yet have the same record as my division rival. What does that crappy points lead get me if I lose my head to head matchup with him this coming week by 1 point? Yep, nada.
Whatever helps your scumbag conscious sleep at night. You're not playing football, you're playing fantasy football -- poorly.

Run It Up said:

Sounds like playing to win is exactly what the guy did.

As long as the rules allow it, it'd be pretty stupid to start a D in that situation.

Run It Up said:
parasaurolophus said:
Run It Up said:
parasaurolophus said:
Run It Up said:

If you have to outline that in the rules your league is bad. Only way this makes the rules is if you have had owners not paying attention and starting players on bye. That's a bad league.Nothing wrong with kneeling on the ball.
Whatever helps your scumbag conscious sleep at night. You're not playing football, you're playing fantasy football -- poorly.
You have some issues. I can only imagine how angry you get yelling at the tv when teams are kneeling instead of running or passing at the end of games.

bweiser said:
Opponent is up by about 4 points. Has Carolina defense. No rule saying you have to start a D if you have one, so he pulled them to ensure he doesn't get negative points.

I think he's going to win regardless, but I made the point that I don't think it's in the spirit of the game to play no defense and take the ZERO.

I lost in week one because I left David Wilson in my lineup. I considered yanking him and just taking the win. If I am ever again in the situation where I have a 2 or 3 point lead with one player left and the other team is finished, I will definitely remove that player from my lineup.

Winning is winning. You do what will secure you the W. Nothing wrong about it.

TheCommish said:
How do you pull a position from your lineup? Do your league rules really say nothing about starting lineup requirements? My league gives an invalid lineup notification if you don't meet the requirements outlined in the league rules. We can start players on bye, though (but it very rarely happens - usually only for an IDP spot if a team has a ton of bye week issues or has been ravaged with injuries and the team doesn't want to spend the money on free agent pickups).

Not sure why you would allow this. Ever. Would you consider not starting a QB? Team defense is a part of your lineup.
On MFL you'd just go to "submit lineup" and uncheck the guy who is scheduled to start.

The rules in our league say that you can start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 K, 1 TD. It doesn't say you have to fill all of those positions though. I don't think anyone in our league would have a problem with pulling a player if it is in the interest of winning your game. If you did it to help another team or throw your game people might take issue.

I see all these "if there isn't a rule"... posts. I say if you need a written rule for every possible contingency that might be a problem.

Run It Up said:
parasaurolophus said:
Run It Up said:
parasaurolophus said:
Run It Up said:

If you have to outline that in the rules your league is bad. Only way this makes the rules is if you have had owners not paying attention and starting players on bye. That's a bad league.Nothing wrong with kneeling on the ball.
You have some issues. I can only imagine how angry you get yelling at the tv when teams are kneeling instead of running or passing at the end of games.
Dude had to check his drawers after the Shiano move against the Giants.

bweiser said:

holy jesus, not this #### agian

Users who are viewing this thread