What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE in the 3rd-4th? Benefits vs downside? (1 Viewer)

I took Andrews at 2:10 in a 12-team PPR league. After the draft was over, I went back and assessed what would have happened if I had taken a RB/WR at that spot and drafted a TE instead in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th etc.

I compared each scenario (eg taking Evans/Allen at 2.10 then drafting best available TE in the 3rd/4th/5th etc) via FBG concensus projections. In every case, if I had gone RB/WR instead of taking Andrews, there would have been an overall dropoff of at least 20-30 points with those concensus projections when I looked at the combo of the 2 players I would have ended up with.

This shouldn't be surprising of course as it's basically just an inverse look at VBD but it can be constructive to look at what your draft would have looked like if you had gone a different route.

In my 10 team PPR league, Kielce went 2.1. Andrews fell to me at 3.4. I couldn’t pass him up. Pitts went 4.2 which seems like great value. I’m a big fan of taking one of the top TEs ibut don’t like to reach.

Ive basically figured Diggs and Davante may go in the picks in between my 2nd and 3rd round pick.

If you drew the fourth overall pick, then they'll be gone between your 1st and 2nd round picks. At least I'd imagine. But yeah, back to your questions. I like Pitts as early as late second. I got sniped in Round 3 (2.12/3.1 took Pitts, I had the 3.3) so it can happen. I wouldn't hesitate to pull that third rounder on Pitts if he made it to me. He's lining up, as people have noted, as a WR. Almost always. Mariota will feed him fine, IMO. Set him and forget him this year.
Its possible one will be gone...but Im doubting there is that big of a run to have 5 WRs go before my 2nd round pick. This league seriously values RBs big time. My guess is 2 go in the 1st round, and one coming back in the 2nd round for the top 3 to go...maybe someone still holds on to Davante as the similar value to when he was with Rodgers and he goes too. But I can't see a scenario where 5 WRs go before my 2nd round pick in this league. other leagues...yeah, definitely possible.

Interestingly enough @rockaction, the league finally went away from super heavy RB early and more WRs off the board in the 2nd than I had ever anticipated.
Gone before my 2nd round pick were Kupp, Chase, JJ, Diggs, Adams...I started out with McCaffrey and then Aaron Jones in the 2nd. Lamb and Evans went in between my 2nd and 3rd...and seeing where I had the next group of WRs, I weighed a 3rd RB, but went with Andrews instead (Kelce had also already been drafted).
My WR group is a bit iffy...but has potential. DJ Moore (nothing flashy but a decent floor), and Gabriel Davis (hoping on his upside here)...with Cooks and Hollywood Brown backing up at the moment.

Interestingly enough @rockaction, the league finally went away from super heavy RB early and more WRs off the board in the 2nd than I had ever anticipated.
Gone before my 2nd round pick were Kupp, Chase, JJ, Diggs, Adams...I started out with McCaffrey and then Aaron Jones in the 2nd. Lamb and Evans went in between my 2nd and 3rd...and seeing where I had the next group of WRs, I weighed a 3rd RB, but went with Andrews instead (Kelce had also already been drafted).
My WR group is a bit iffy...but has potential. DJ Moore (nothing flashy but a decent floor), and Gabriel Davis (hoping on his upside here)...with Cooks and Hollywood Brown backing up at the moment.

Love it. Now it’s if McCaffrey can stay healthy. Good luck, sho.

Outside of Lamb , and that's a maybe, I can't see a WR I would want over Kelce if available. WR is very deep, TE is not - really only 4 I like as top targets (TK/Andrews/Pitts/Kittles)

THink this worked out well, although not a huge Jones fan PPR obviously a little more. Your collection of high upside WRs are very boom or bust each week type guys. DJ has the chance to be a steal and top 10 WR , Cooks as well.

DJ Moore (nothing flashy but a decent floor), and Gabriel Davis (hoping on his upside here)...with Cooks and Hollywood Brown backing up at the moment.

That's a WR corps to be jealous of given your RB/RB/TE start.

Moore and Cooks are vastly underrated wide receivers. Moore has had 3+ straight thousand yard seasons, Cooks just produces.

In my 10 team redraft there was a lot of quality WRs to be had late. So much in fact I almost regret taking Jefferson in the first (almost).

I grabbed Pitts in the 3rd and Josh Allen in the 4th, and Tee Higgins was there for me in the 5th and Dionte Johnson in the 6th. Still managed to grab Amon‐Ra, Gabriel Davis, and Nico Collins in 9-11.

My RBs are a little thin (Swift, Pierce, Rhamondre, and Walker III). In hindsight I should have grabbed AJ Dillon instead of Amon Ra, but as a Packer I doubt you'd make that mistake.

Also, in low money redrafts ($25) I always target the highest ceiling possible, so grabbing Pitts in the 3rd was a very easy decision.

Users who are viewing this thread