What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennessee Titans -- 2006 Draft (1 Viewer)

Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!
First of all -- I participate in a live, draft contest each year. Typically, it runs pretty predictable at least through pick 10-12. This year -- I think it could go haywire quickly. That having been said...

1. I don't think the Titans are collectively in love with any of the 3 top QBs. Meaning that I think they'd be happy with any of them. Given that, I think they'll at least consider some trade offers that maximize value.

2. I don't think McNair is back. Unless MAC makes the move, he's gone.

3. I think that Oakland really, really wants Leinart. I think he's a horrible fit for their vertical offense but Sleazy Al want the Hollywood star power.

4. NO has nothing to gain and too much to risk by making a trade with OAK. Plus, for OAK, why trade to #2 and pay that money when you can pay #3 money?

THEREFORE:

* IF first two picks are Bush and Super Mario, I think the Titans somehow work a trade with Oakland. Rumors abound, but several sources say they'd be willing to swap first round pick this year, throw in the 3rd and Jerry Porter. Who knows how accurate that is but, if so, I think the Titans would be ALL over it.

* IF that happens, NYJ probably take Brick. IF they were to take VY, I think the Titans sit and draft Cutler at 7.

* IF the Titans get to #7 and VY and Cutler are BOTH still on the board, I think they attempt to work a trade with Detroit at #9 pick. BUF, at #8, isn't going QB. So, the Titans could double down and get more comp and picks from Detroit. DET then takes VY and the Titans get Cutler at 9.

Bottom line, here are the my odds:

2-1 Titans take VY at #3.

4-1 Titans take VY at #7 (via Oak).

5-1 Titans take Hollywood / Bachelor Bob at #3.

8-1 Titans take Cutler at #7 (NYJ took VY)

10-1 Titans take Cutler at #9 (via Detroit)

:popcorn:

The quarterback roulette wheel is really spinning. If Tennessee trades out of #3 and Lienart and Cutler drop pass the Jets at #4, I expect Green Bay and San Francisco to strongly considering dropping down with some quarterback hungry teams; Detroit, St. Louis and Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:
NICE breakdown. I really cant figure out whether the Titans would take Leinart or VY at #3. Leinart makes more sense for the immediate need and I do like the he and Chow already have shown that they can work very well together. Young's upside is higher and I do think there is a faction in the organization that wants him bad. I wouldnt be shocked if we find out Young was the guy they wanted all along and a lot of this was a smokescreen.

Just another intriguing subplot in a draft that should cause some seismic shifts in the fate of certain franchises.

First of all -- I participate in a live, draft contest each year. Typically, it runs pretty predictable at least through pick 10-12. This year -- I think it could go haywire quickly. That having been said...

1. I don't think the Titans are collectively in love with any of the 3 top QBs. Meaning that I think they'd be happy with any of them. Given that, I think they'll at least consider some trade offers that maximize value.

3. I think that Oakland really, really wants Leinart. I think he's a horrible fit for their vertical offense but Sleazy Al want the Hollywood star power.

4. NO has nothing to gain and too much to risk by making a trade with OAK. Plus, for OAK, why trade to #2 and pay that money when you can pay #3 money?

THEREFORE:

* IF first two picks are Bush and Super Mario, I think the Titans somehow work a trade with Oakland. Rumors abound, but several sources say they'd be willing to swap first round pick this year, throw in the 3rd and Jerry Porter. Who knows how accurate that is but, if so, I think the Titans would be ALL over it.

* IF that happens, NYJ probably take Brick. IF they were to take VY, I think the Titans sit and draft Cutler at 7.

* IF the Titans get to #7 and VY and Cutler are BOTH still on the board, I think they attempt to work a trade with Detroit at #9 pick. BUF, at #8, isn't going QB. So, the Titans could double down and get more comp and picks from Detroit. DET then takes VY and the Titans get Cutler at 9.

All sounds about right to me. :popcorn:

NICE breakdown. I really cant figure out whether the Titans would take Leinart or VY at #3. Leinart makes more sense for the immediate need and I do like the he and Chow already have shown that they can work very well together. Young's upside is higher and I do think there is a faction in the organization that wants him bad. I wouldnt be shocked if we find out Young was the guy they wanted all along and a lot of this was a smokescreen.

Just another intriguing subplot in a draft that should cause some seismic shifts in the fate of certain franchises.

And that may be exactly right.

Personally, I think the Titan front office is putting no merit in the Chow-Lienart relationship. The quarterback they take they would want to stick around for 10+ years. I think the Titan's front office don't expect Chow to be around that long. If Chow is everything they hope he is, then he will be a head coach in a few years and leaving the Titans.

i see the titans taking VY. they proved to me last year with Pacman they know how to make the wrong decision.

THEREFORE:

Interesting way to look at it...I'm just wondering if the Titans would not be nervous to trade down with Oakland at #7... because, suppose Leinart goes #3 to Oakland... Young #4 to the Jets... then - GB or SF might be willing to trade down with some teams that really want Cutler (Det / Ari)... leaving the Titans with none at 7...

I'm I way off?

Personally, I think the Titan front office is putting no merit in the Chow-Lienart relationship. The quarterback they take they would want to stick around for 10+ years. I think the Titan's front office don't expect Chow to be around that long. If Chow is everything they hope he is, then he will be a head coach in a few years and leaving the Titans.
I certainly wouldnt make it the determining factor, unless they are very serious about starting the guy they take this year. If thats the case, its very important that they can hit the ground running. VY or Cutler would have to develop a rapport with Chow and learn his system and the way he thinks. Chow and Leinart already know each other well and could get to work right away.

I certainly wouldnt make it the determining factor, unless they are very serious about starting the guy they take this year. If thats the case, its very important that they can hit the ground running. VY or Cutler would have to develop a rapport with Chow and learn his system and the way he thinks. Chow and Leinart already know each other well and could get to work right away.
:confused: Do you mean to tell me that when Chow came aboard that Jeff Fisher agreed to chuck the offensive playbook the team had been using for some many years?

If anything, the system is still the same (with minimal evolution over the seasons). What Chow brings is a fresh approach to play-calling.

:confused: Do you mean to tell me that when Chow came aboard that Jeff Fisher agreed to chuck the offensive playbook the team had been using for some many years?

If anything, the system is still the same (with minimal evolution over the seasons). What Chow brings is a fresh approach to play-calling.
I think the approach of the offense did change last year (maybe out of necessity) and Im sure Chow had something to do with that. Another thing I mean by "system" is terminology, concepts, and just a general way of communicating. Its like a director and actor. If they have made a blockbuster together and got the most out of each other, you have to think they are more likely to do it again (and with little ramp up time). Chow knows how Leinart thinks. Leinart knows how Chow thinks. I think that counts for something, at least when you're looking at how long it will take a rookie QB to "get it".

I think the approach of the offense did change last year (maybe out of necessity) and Im sure Chow had something to do with that. Another thing I mean by "system" is terminology, concepts, and just a general way of communicating. Its like a director and actor. If they have made a blockbuster together and got the most out of each other, you have to think they are more likely to do it again (and with little ramp up time). Chow knows how Leinart thinks. Leinart knows how Chow thinks. I think that counts for something, at least when you're looking at how long it will take a rookie QB to "get it".
I definitely agree that there is a relationship between Chow and Lienart and it should carry some value.What I differ on is preception that Chow took his terminology, playbook concepts and other offensive staples of the USC offense and implemented them into the Titans organization.

The Titans had a playbook that was working, their quarterback was very familiar with the current Titan playbook (McNair) as well as the majority of the offensive players. Coaching wise, Fisher was familiar with the old playbook as well as a plethora of the other offensive assistant coaches.

To me, a scenario in which Chow shows up in Tennessee and says, "Jeff Fisher, assistant offensive coaches, Steve McNair and all offensive personnel...I present to you the USC playbook." Those Chow are speaking to ----> :drool:

At best, I think Chow would bring a different approach to calling the plays from the playbook and possibly started spawning off some additional plays; but I suspect he would use the terminology already established at the Titans' headquarters.

I definitely agree that there is a relationship between Chow and Lienart and it should carry some value.What I differ on is preception that Chow took his terminology, playbook concepts and other offensive staples of the USC offense and implemented them into the Titans organization.

The Titans had a playbook that was working, their quarterback was very familiar with the current Titan playbook (McNair) as well as the majority of the offensive players. Coaching wise, Fisher was familiar with the old playbook as well as a plethora of the other offensive assistant coaches.

To me, a scenario in which Chow shows up in Tennessee and says, "Jeff Fisher, assistant offensive coaches, Steve McNair and all offensive personnel...I present to you the USC playbook." Those Chow are speaking to ----> :drool:

At best, I think Chow would bring a different approach to calling the plays from the playbook and possibly started spawning off some additional plays; but I suspect he would use the terminology already established at the Titans' headquarters.
Youre right, and I should have been clearer. What Im really talking about is the words, ideas, concepts Chow would use to make the rookie QB see what he is seeing. Not necessarily the names of the plays.

Youre right, and I should have been clearer. What Im really talking about is the words, ideas, concepts Chow would use to make the rookie QB see what he is seeing. Not necessarily the names of the plays.
Okay, then I stand corrected. There would be some additional value there such as Chow saying, "Lienart, at USC we called this route [blah], but it is the same thing." etc... etc...

Okay, then I stand corrected.  There would be some additional value there such as Chow saying, "Lienart, at USC we called this route [blah], but it is the same thing." etc... etc...
no no its fine, i can completely see why you thought that from what I said. i think there's good points on both sides. It helps that they know each other, but its really only a factor early on.

Coaches want to win NOW. THere is no rebuilding, because rebuilding means the coaches will be looking for another job. THat is why I believe Fisher and Chow - unless Chow doesn't like Leinart - want Leinart. If a rookie QB is going to start soon for the Titans, the coaches would likely like Leinart. Reese had good success picking McNair and letting him sit for a few years. I think his past sucess would have him lean towards VY with his thought being that VY's potential is greater then McNairs. SO if the Titans draft QB at 3, I think its VY.

THe wild card is Cutler. For 4 years the Titans have been able to scout JC under the radar. If they like him, they may find value in trading down and picking up JC along with a few draft picks to replace the ones they gave away. Cutler is smart and should be able to pick up the system.

And a side note: I have read others say PacMan was a poor pick and Reese flubbed that one. I don't like what I have read about the person, but it is much to early to decide he was not a good pick up for the Titans. We should know more after the 2007 season.

Picking VY to me does not make sense if McNair is gone - is Volek going to teach Vince to be a great QB?

WMI's scenarios seem reasonable although I am not sure a team can trade down twice and still stay in the top 10 in reality.

I think the Titans really want Leinart or Young, if they do swing that trade with Oakland, I could see the Jets trying to get in the mix by threatening to draft Young

I think the Titans really want Leinart or Young, if they do swing that trade with Oakland, I could see the Jets trying to get in the mix by threatening to draft Young
Yes, this is obviously the risk. Hence all the rumored 3 or 4 way trades on the net. NYJ was cut in on that one to make sure it didn't happen.

I just made a thread about my thinking the Jets would not draft a QB. That said, I think its VERY GOOD ODDS that Tenn finds a way to draft a QB, IMHO Leinart or Young in that order.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume this. I think Tennessee's interest in Cutler is vastly underrated. Jeff Fisher has been very open in his admiration of Cutler's skill set.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume this. I think Tennessee's interest in Cutler is vastly underrated. Jeff Fisher has been very open in his admiration of Cutler's skill set.
really? I've been reading that the club is split on Lienart and Young. Coaching staff wanting Leinart, and GM/owner wanting Young???

I just made a thread about my thinking the Jets would not draft a QB. That said, I think its VERY GOOD ODDS that Tenn finds a way to draft a QB, IMHO Leinart or Young in that order.
I think the Jets will take a qb on day 1, just not in the 1st rd.

really? I've been reading that the club is split on Lienart and Young. Coaching staff wanting Leinart, and GM/owner wanting Young???
Just as a general rule, if a team is mentioning one or two players publicly before the draft, they usually want neither. Id prefer Culter of the three QBs, but would like to see TEN trade back to 7 to take him.

Just as a general rule, if a team is mentioning one or two players publicly before the draft, they usually want neither. Id prefer Culter of the three QBs, but would like to see TEN trade back to 7 to take him.
Diesel, you and I think WAY too much alike sometimes. I just have this *feeling* about Cutler and the Titans somehow.What are you doing for the draft on Saturday? We have a draft contest with a sports radio program at a local sports bar.

Diesel, you and I think WAY too much alike sometimes. I just have this *feeling* about Cutler and the Titans somehow.What are you doing for the draft on Saturday? We have a draft contest with a sports radio program at a local sports bar.
Absolutely nothing...maybe studying for finals which I have next week.Which bar? Two Doors Down?

EDIT to add: I have the same feeling about Cutler. I know theyve seen a ton of him, I just can't help but think they have to like him. Only thing that concerns me is I think they know it will take a year or more to work out Cutler's mechanical issues. I dont think Reese/Fisher feel they have that year to allow him to develop.

I think there is an attraction to Leinart being able to step right in and win 6-7 games and them being able to argue that he'll be able to make them a playoff team in 2007.

I really doubt we see Young as a Titan, especially with McNair getting axed. I say with 99.4% certainty that he will be cut, its just a matter of when. I personally think they will hold on to him until they move to sign whoever they draft at #3. They don't want Baltimore to be able to hang around and wait for him to get cut. They'll try to force them to make a decision before they release McNair. Only way this happens earlier is if the arbitration hearing goes negatively for the Titans, but as it sounds now, that won't even happen til late May.

Which station? Is the contest open to all locals?

AM 560 WNSR. Morning show vs. the afternoon show guys. I'm on the morning show team. Both of you are welcome -- it is at Marathon Sports Bar and Grill located at Nippers Corner. Edmondson Pike and Old Hickory just East of Brentwood on Old Hickory. Free food is the word I hear. We usually go from about 11 to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. A good time is had by all.

WoMI -

I am really wondering what would be the reaction (by the other teams) if the Titans traded down to #7. If 4 quarterbacks are on the board and the Raiders trade up for one of them, I think this creates a big vacuum of quarterback interest.

If the Raiders take a quarterback at #3 and the Titans will take one at #7, then there is a huge rush of quarterback hungry teams to trade up to picks #4, #5 and #6. And every indication I have heard has the Jets, Packers and 9999ers more than willing to trade down if the desired commodity is quarterback.

What I am saying, if Tennessee has a choice of 3 quarterbacks at pick #3 and trade down to pick #7, I think there is a legit risk that none of the 3 quarterbacks the Titans saw at pick #3 are available at pick #7. They would have to move pretty quickly to trade back up.

WoMI -

I am really wondering what would be the reaction (by the other teams) if the Titans traded down to #7. If 4 quarterbacks are on the board and the Raiders trade up for one of them, I think this creates a big vacuum of quarterback interest.

If the Raiders take a quarterback at #3 and the Titans will take one at #7, then there is a huge rush of quarterback hungry teams to trade up to picks #4, #5 and #6. And every indication I have heard has the Jets, Packers and 9999ers more than willing to trade down if the desired commodity is quarterback.

What I am saying, if Tennessee has a choice of 3 quarterbacks at pick #3 and trade down to pick #7, I think there is a legit risk that none of the 3 quarterbacks the Titans saw at pick #3 are available at pick #7. They would have to move pretty quickly to trade back up.
Exactly correct. Risky. However, if they trade down to 7 then that means someone not only has to trade up to get VY but they also have to trade UP to get Cutler. VY, I see it. Cutler, not so much. Plus, if TWO teams trade into the top 6 to get VY and Cutler, that means that either Mario, Brick or AJ Hawk are still on the board. Since missing on QB, they could then trade out of that suddenly valuable 7th pick.

Don't see it happening, though.

WoMI -

I am really wondering what would be the reaction (by the other teams) if the Titans traded down to #7.  If 4 quarterbacks are on the board and the Raiders trade up for one of them, I think this creates a big vacuum of quarterback interest. 

If the Raiders take a quarterback at #3 and the Titans will take one at #7, then there is a huge rush of quarterback hungry teams to trade up to picks #4, #5 and #6.  And every indication I have heard has the Jets, Packers and 9999ers more than willing to trade down if the desired commodity is quarterback.

What I am saying, if Tennessee has a choice of 3 quarterbacks at pick #3 and trade down to pick #7, I think there is a legit risk that none of the 3 quarterbacks the Titans saw at pick #3 are available at pick #7.  They would have to move pretty quickly to trade back up.
Exactly correct. Risky. However, if they trade down to 7 then that means someone not only has to trade up to get VY but they also have to trade UP to get Cutler. VY, I see it. Cutler, not so much. Plus, if TWO teams trade into the top 6 to get VY and Cutler, that means that either Mario, Brick or AJ Hawk are still on the board. Since missing on QB, they could then trade out of that suddenly valuable 7th pick.

Don't see it happening, though.
I think this is why we both love the NFL draft, it has so much 'poker' in it. If the Titans move down, they would create an artificial floor for how far the 3rd quarterback can drop. Given this information, worse case scenario would be Cutler going at #6 (to whoever 9999ers traded with). But since the Titans have not been very vocal about a lot of interest in Cutler, they could cover their tracks quite well.

But since the Titans have not been very vocal about a lot of interest in Cutler, they could cover their tracks quite well.

if you know they have interest Cutler don't you think other teams would know. i do think it would still be good for them to move down. another team would have to really over pay to get cutler from say the 49ers or Packers. and then both the 49ers or Packers would not know who the Titans would take if a QB isn't possibly not allowing them to still get a guy they want.

the Titans take VY at 3 IMO

2 questions:

1.) Are those real odds that you are offering, or were you just throwing those numbers out there?

If YES, Proceed to (2). If NO, STOP reading here.

2.) Do you accept PayPal?

ETA: I'm interested at Leinart at #3 for 5-1 odds...

But since the Titans have not been very vocal about a lot of interest in Cutler, they could cover their tracks quite well.
if you know they have interest Cutler don't you think other teams would know. i do think it would still be good for them to move down. another team would have to really over pay to get cutler from say the 49ers or Packers. and then both the 49ers or Packers would not know who the Titans would take if a QB isn't possibly not allowing them to still get a guy they want.the Titans take VY at 3 IMO
I was speaking from a PR prespective. Every year I watch the first round of the draft I hear each team say, "so-and-so was our 3rd highest rated player on the board, we were shocked to see him at #21" and other BS like that.

AM 560 WNSR. Morning show vs. the afternoon show guys. I'm on the morning show team. Both of you are welcome -- it is at Marathon Sports Bar and Grill located at Nippers Corner. Edmondson Pike and Old Hickory just East of Brentwood on Old Hickory. Free food is the word I hear. We usually go from about 11 to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. A good time is had by all.
How crowded do you expect it to be down there? Sounds interesting, but I dont want to be having to hit loudmouths with beer bottles to hear the draft on TV.

One concern on your scenario, however.

Where's all the money going to come from to sign all those picks?
$9mm from #Mac's back pocket. $2mm from Sirmon's.
Ya think that'll be enough? That'd be alot of picks with a Top Ten QB in the mix. Floyd better upgrade his Texas Instruments calculator and limber-up those fingers. :D

One concern on your scenario, however.

Where's all the money going to come from to sign all those picks?
$9mm from #Mac's back pocket. $2mm from Sirmon's.
Ya think that'll be enough? That'd be alot of picks with a Top Ten QB in the mix. Floyd better upgrade his Texas Instruments calculator and limber-up those fingers. :D
Lets say the Titans pick a QB at #3 - that is 20-25 million SB and 6 or 7 years contract - cap hit then about 4 million - still 7 to go, shave abit off that cap hit if they pick at #7 or #9. If they trade down twice they'll land 2007 picks (incl a #1) and/or early second/third rounders - not sure what the SB is for those brackets but if they have to sign two early second rounders to five year contracts the total SB for the two players must be less than 30 million - which seems possible.

Chow was very TE-friendly last year and spread the ball around to more receivers. That could have been a consequence of losing Mason, but it did seem to be a difference in offensive philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread