What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

As a big Ranwanska fan it really sucks my satellite reception fubared sometime today, hopefully can catch a replay somewhere. Can't imagine she's looked too much better than the first and third sets.

Let's go Rafa. If I'm right this would be number 14, only 3 behind Frauderer

Last edited by a moderator:
With his past in the Aussie, it feels like it is pretty much the year he'll get a second AO or not. Djokovic out early and Murray unlikely to be in a form that got him to 3 of the last 4 finals is a good opening that can't count on the next few years before Nadal hits 30.

Thought Grigor was going to piss away that first set. Then he blasted 3 aces to Nadal's forehand. But still a long way to go against Rafa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only a great start that he won the first set, great start in the fact he did it without it being a long first set. A lot of times when Nadal drops a set it still can take a lot out of a player but Dimitrov avoided any drama that would create a long one there.

Murray and fed have to be watching this one closely. Imagine joker and rafa going down in the same round.

Men's tennis is infinitely more enjoyable than the women's side. The sheer power and endurance is extraordinary.
I'm biased since I love Radwanska's game but I really think the women would be served well if there were more creative shot types like her than the grunting power players dominating most tournaments. The women aren't going to play a more interesting power game than the men so they would benefit from crazy interesting matches between players with tons of variety.

Why doesn't Rafa wear a glove with that huge blister he's got? Or would the friction make it even worse?
Maybe, could be feel of the racket as well. Listening to radio, one of the guys think that's what is causing the double faults more so than any pain he might have. Thinks the feel is off and I would guess a glove would not help especially if not used to it.

Winner of this tiebreak takes the match. Don't think Nadal is playing well enough to take the 4th and 5th from Dimitrov. Maybe Dimitrov would have tired legs for the 5th but if Nadal doesn''t take this tiebreak, I think Dimitrov gets him in 4. He'll be so jacked up after being down a break earlier in the set.

Radio guys say his hand looks terrible and can't imagine how he can win this tournament.
It's an awful blister. Really more of an open wound than a blister. Looks about silver dollar sized and bright pink. Also right in the palm. It's got to be incredibly painful and the tape slipping/sliding has to be annoying. especially for an OCD dude like Rafa.

Just seeing the results - is Rafa's injury bad enough that the winner of Murray-Federer is the favorite? Lots of things breaking right for Fed if he can finish off Murray.

Federer will be sick if he doesn't win this set - easy holds of serve and several break chances. It used to be that Fed would hold the intangibles and confidence factor but now he has to be questioning whether he can finish this.

Wow - Murray just imploded in that service and still almost came back. Then Federer doesn't challenge a serve that was out. Crazy. Fed serving for match now.

Yes! Federer wins. Nadal-Fed should be fun.
I doubt it.

Fedal matches haven't been good in many years now since Federer began his decline and Nadal continually has been improving in off-clay surfaces.

If 2009 Federer and 2012 Federer (both slam winning years and years with time spent at #1) couldn't be Ralph, then even the biggest Federer fan like Fedentist would have to be delusional to think that Federer could win.

Here's the formula.. Roger will have one set most likely where he plays lights out and wins.. either the first or 2nd set most likely.. he'll troll his fans into thinking that he might win the match, then he'll come off of that high and starting Federrror-ing it up and quietly donk out of the match.

Rafa even describes how to beat Federer in his book... he says that for stretches of time Roger will play simply unbelievable tennis... tennis that is unmatchable and that no one can beat.

The trick is that most players witness that tennis, lose their mental state, and lose the match.

Ralph knows that especially in a 5 set match that if he can just sustain himself during these stretches of brilliance, then attack when the impossible to sustain level eventually drops that he can win sets, get back into the match mentally, and make Federer doubt himself.

Federer is an amazing front-runner.. which is why he has won an amazingly high percentage of matches after winning set 1... but his record in 5 set matches is remarkably poor for someone as successful as he has been. It's like if the going gets tough, he checks out far too often... but if he runs hot and gets the other guy to check out mentally then he'll blow them out rapidly.

Sure i think it's a slight advantage that he's got this terrible blister... but Ralph's a fighter and generally can overcome his ailments unless it's the knees. He knows how to beat Federer... Roger knows this and almost goes into the match already beaten.

Radio guys say his hand looks terrible and can't imagine how he can win this tournament.
It's an awful blister. Really more of an open wound than a blister. Looks about silver dollar sized and bright pink. Also right in the palm. It's got to be incredibly painful and the tape slipping/sliding has to be annoying. especially for an OCD dude like Rafa.
Hadn't seen or heard a minute of the Open, but just saw that picture. Looks more like stigmata than a blister. He's a tough guy, but Federer may actually have a chance.

ETA: Oddsmakers have it at 60/40 in favor of Nadal.

I don't follow the women's side closely. I'm assuming this is shaping up to be a pretty big upset, just based on the rankings?

I don't follow the women's side closely. I'm assuming this is shaping up to be a pretty big upset, just based on the rankings?
Not entirely. The women's game usually has a bunch of weird stuff happen due to their inability to hold serve (which is due to weaker service games). Cibulkova has been around, she's got some wins over top 5 talent. She's also pretty hot, so I'm looking forward to watching her.

Really disappointing result that Radwanska wasn't even competitive. Just no depth on her shots and Cibulkova just drilled the heck out of them. I hope she can finish it off and take the title.

I doubt it.

Fedal matches haven't been good in many years now since Federer began his decline and Nadal continually has been improving in off-clay surfaces.

If 2009 Federer and 2012 Federer (both slam winning years and years with time spent at #1) couldn't be Ralph, then even the biggest Federer fan like Fedentist would have to be delusional to think that Federer could win.

Here's the formula.. Roger will have one set most likely where he plays lights out and wins.. either the first or 2nd set most likely.. he'll troll his fans into thinking that he might win the match, then he'll come off of that high and starting Federrror-ing it up and quietly donk out of the match.

Rafa even describes how to beat Federer in his book... he says that for stretches of time Roger will play simply unbelievable tennis... tennis that is unmatchable and that no one can beat.

The trick is that most players witness that tennis, lose their mental state, and lose the match.

Ralph knows that especially in a 5 set match that if he can just sustain himself during these stretches of brilliance, then attack when the impossible to sustain level eventually drops that he can win sets, get back into the match mentally, and make Federer doubt himself.

Federer is an amazing front-runner.. which is why he has won an amazingly high percentage of matches after winning set 1... but his record in 5 set matches is remarkably poor for someone as successful as he has been. It's like if the going gets tough, he checks out far too often... but if he runs hot and gets the other guy to check out mentally then he'll blow them out rapidly.

Sure i think it's a slight advantage that he's got this terrible blister... but Ralph's a fighter and generally can overcome his ailments unless it's the knees. He knows how to beat Federer... Roger knows this and almost goes into the match already beaten.
I'm enjoying this new Dentist. It's refreshing to see you finally come around to what I've been saying for years about Federer.

With Nadal being the clear favorite in the AO finals and the French Open coming up, is it safe to say that Nadal seems like a very strong bet to break Federer's 17 GSs?

With Nadal being the clear favorite in the AO finals and the French Open coming up, is it safe to say that Nadal seems like a very strong bet to break Federer's 17 GSs?
I think so, injuries are probably the only thing that could stop him. He could probably get there simply with French Open wins. I've always hated Nadal if he wins the AO it will be hard to argue against his resume for GOAT.

I doubt it.

I'm enjoying this new Dentist. It's refreshing to see you finally come around to what I've been saying for years about Federer.
I still hate Nadal with a burning passion, fed is still the goat until this guy gets to 18 and I will root for him to tear both Achilles heals simultaneously in every match he plays.

But until that happens there is no doubt he is the best currently playing and his hard court skills have really evolved. I still wish note hadn't donked out.

This final should be one of the lowest rated ever. Why would anyone other than a die hard nadal

Users who are viewing this thread