What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor Analysis (1 Viewer)

Here's the summary of the analysis.

Pryor has pro-caliber arm strength, scrambling, and physical abilities. Everything else is severely lacking including mechanics, decision making, accuracy, pocket presence, footwork, technique, and delivery. He's a long term project at best.

I'm no Pryor fan but is it really fair to pick one of his worst games as a starter for OSU as his critique? How about the Rose Bowl vs Oregon? Try to be a little fair Matt.

does anybody know how he feels about playing another position....?...I don't see him eing drafted as a QB, but I could see a team taking a shot on a 6'6" dude with his athletic ability as a WR.....more of a rich man's Brad Smith....

I'm no Pryor fan but is it really fair to pick one of his worst games as a starter for OSU as his critique? How about the Rose Bowl vs Oregon? Try to be a little fair Matt.
Stats really aren't the issue here. I've given guys great grades who had horrible statistical outings. I like the Buckeyes. I'm a big fan of Sanzenbacher. I think Saine is an interesting player. However, I don't think Pryor is a good NFL prospect at this point. Maybe with a year or two of seasoning in Canada or another league he can then join a team and get more coaching and refinement to become a back up with additional promise. I've seen the Oregon game. My critique wouldn't be too different.

does anybody know how he feels about playing another position....?...I don't see him eing drafted as a QB, but I could see a team taking a shot on a 6'6" dude with his athletic ability as a WR.....more of a rich man's Brad Smith....
Everything I've heard/seen/read indicates that he will not change positions. I think in some ways that is a mistake but I guess if he is dedicated and humble and really works at his craft perhaps he can live up to the promise of his hype.

Here's the summary of the analysis. Pryor has pro-caliber arm strength, scrambling, and physical abilities. Everything else is severely lacking including mechanics, decision making, accuracy, pocket presence, footwork, technique, and delivery. He's a long term project at best.
Sounds like a guy that someone will take a chance on and try to "coach him up" Guys like Brady Quinn and Derrick Anderson (and worse) are still getting checks I don't see why this kid won't get a chance

I thought he managed the Rose Bowl pretty well, but passing wise it was not pretty. The stats were OK, but a bunch of the throws were ugly, including the biggest throw of the second half, was an absolute duck that had no business being completed. I don't think that tape makes him look like an NFL QB. It makes him look like a solid college QB at best.

Here's the summary of the analysis. Pryor has pro-caliber arm strength, scrambling, and physical abilities. Everything else is severely lacking including mechanics, decision making, accuracy, pocket presence, footwork, technique, and delivery. He's a long term project at best.
Seems like a lesser Vince Young.

He had potential as a freshman. I don't think he got any better since then. Is that because he is pig headed, or the OSU coaching was bad?

I don't see him as an NFL starter. And there are a number of Free Agent QB's that I think are more likely to take direction and at least learn and perform in the system, even if they don't have his physical capablities

This guy makes Tim Tebow's form look like Peyton Manning's. He's a big strong kid who has a strong arm but he has horrible accuracy and is very bad under pressure. He should be looking to go into other football leagues to get some experience and make some money on his name while he can.

I concur with this. Why not the Oregon game, or the Arkansas game this season, or one of his other "big" games rather than cherry-picking out his mediocre game last season. Just saying...

I do perversely enjoy that a couple of OSU fans are saying that I'm cherry-picking. I understand that inclination to think that's the case. I really do. However, if you were more familiar with my analysis of players you'd understand that good or bad stats don't factor into an analysis. Technique does. I've given high grades to plenty of players who had poor statistical outings and low grades to players with great statistical outings.

Matt Forte, Joseph Addai, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Brian Hoyer are a few that come to mind as players with less than impressive outings, but high grades in a game.

Tim Tebow, Ben Tate, and Robert Meachem are players I recall handing out lower grades with strong statistical production.

A player can execute a play successfully and still do a lot of things wrong. In college football where the level of athleticism varies greatly compared to the NFL, players get away with their lack of conceptual skills or technique. That doesn't happen nearly as often in the pros and mistakes in the pros are magnified. What's a tipped pass or poor throw in college football is often an interception or a pick-six in the NFL. What is a scramble for 22 yards against Wisconsin, Oregon, or Arkansas will often be a sack and a fumble in the NFL.

On the other hand, what might be a minimal gain on a rushing attempt, reception, or completion to a receiver in college often shows the type of conceptual, physical, and technical skills that will generate more productivity and success in a better offense with more knowledgeable surrounding talent.

As usual uncanny depth and detail. However, fot fantasy and NFL purposes, I wonder if the entire analysis could have been this:

Decisions: 0 points out of a possible 14 points.

Avoids locking onto one receiver – 3pts: No

Plays with controlled aggression – 2pts: No

Manipulates defense with eyes – 2pts: No

Makes effective presnap reads – 2pts: No

Throws ball away to avoid sacks – 3pts: No

Checks down judiciously – 2pts: No

After reading you opine this (and I know it comes from far more film study I will ever do) I feel comfortable completely writing this guy off.

He had potential as a freshman. I don't think he got any better since then. Is that because he is pig headed, or the OSU coaching was bad?I don't see him as an NFL starter. And there are a number of Free Agent QB's that I think are more likely to take direction and at least learn and perform in the system, even if they don't have his physical capablities
Anyone who claims he hasn't improved clearly hasn't watched him play over the years. Prior has definitely improved. Is he ready. Hell no. But, how many QBs are? Will he be an NFL QB? Who knows, but he definitely has a chance.I haven't read Matt's analysis but judging him on one game is kind of silly.

The biggest argument a Pryor backer has, is that college coaches don't get paid to get these QBs

ready for the Pros....they get paid to win games. So, if Cam, or Pryor needs to run around and have 15

plus carries in a game, and they win, they are happy. The coaches are happy, and the university

is happy....that's all 99.9% of NCAA coaches care about. Winning games.

I'm not a supporter of Pryor, I think his game does not translate well to the Pros. If the kid

really wants to get solid advice, it would be to make himself as marketable as possible, and open

to other positions. The kid runs like a deer. He is a great athlete. He'd be an awesome

TE with 15 more pounds on him, and move him around to create mismatches, which would not be difficult to find those mismatches...

Whether or not he makes that change remains to be seen.

His mechanics, as of now, are horrible. Hopefully he realizes the opportunity, because his

trial will be very short.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread