What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs Of 1978 #1. Werewolves of London (1 Viewer)

OH loves this book.  I've picked it up a couple of times and not been able to get into it, though each time I've felt like it was me, not the book.  Need to try again.
Ah, I see. OH loves it, huh? That's cool.

It might not be you. There are some things that are corny (The Flaming Dildos, anybody? Please. How un-punk is that name?) and some things that might rub one the wrong way; for instance, the fellatio of the older man at the first punk show is a bit neutral in its authorial assessment. There are also some things that seem like red herrings at first, like one of the first stories centers around kleptomania and the disappearance of items that the woman is stealing. That's more of a character study than the other chapters that tie into the book. 

It was a slow opener, those first few chapters if I recall correctly, but I gave it a chance because she was at least trying to write about music and punk rock in L.A., but in the end it turned out to be a very fast-paced, relevant, and exciting book that was heartfelt and showed an author that truly loved her own characters (the last chapter, once one has become sensitive to the novel's Altman-like form, is thrilling in its experimentation, at least to me. I was stunned). 

Loved it.  Planning on rereading in the spring as it's one of the assigned books for my son's English class.
Oh, wow. Your son is lucky in more ways than one. That's quite the draw for an assignment, which probably speaks to a good experience overall in English for the semester or year also. I hope it is for him. Sounds fun as a father, too. 

11. Gloria Gaynor “I Will Survive” (from Love Tracks

https://youtu.be/FHhZPp08s74

The accolades are endless: one of the most iconic songs of the 70s. Possibly the greatest disco song ever. The anthem of the gay rights movement (which became even more popular a few years later during the AIDS crisis when it took on a whole new meaning.) And at the core of all this, it’s simply a splendidly infectious dance song.

Somewhat ironically, “I Will Survive” came out the same weekend as MLB’s infamous Disco Demolition Night. Many music historians believe that the anti-disco movement was a mask for racist and homophobic attitudes. 

timschochet said:
11. Gloria Gaynor “I Will Survive” (from Love Tracks

https://youtu.be/FHhZPp08s74

The accolades are endless: one of the most iconic songs of the 70s. Possibly the greatest disco song ever. The anthem of the gay rights movement (which became even more popular a few years later during the AIDS crisis when it took on a whole new meaning.) And at the core of all this, it’s simply a splendidly infectious dance song.

Somewhat ironically, “I Will Survive” came out the same weekend as MLB’s infamous Disco Demolition Night. Many music historians believe that the anti-disco movement was a mask for racist and homophobic attitudes. 
Women....i was going to use another term in an endearing way, but realise it may not come across that way.....love this song. In my limited dancefloor exposure, if you moved and grooved to this track while they were, it was very rewarding. Once they realised you werent gay. NTTAWWT. As a piece of music its fantastic in its own right, but watching women on a dancefloor feeling and emoting every word...thats an awesome thing in its own right. 

The anthem of the gay rights movement
Mind unpacking the historical veracity of this?

Because while that may be true, I think that's now "I'm Coming Out" from 1980, tim. By Diana. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most drag queens would point to Diana's song (written by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards). Yes, "I Will Survive" is likely a gay anthem, as is almost any disco anthem from the '70s or '80s. But "Im Coming Out," given a quick Google search, is all about LGBTQ and has "anthem" written all over it. 

Never mind, I looked it up. Both are gay anthems. "I Will Survive" was the song used at one of the first Gay Pride parades in '79, before "I'm Coming Out" even came out. So carry on. 

Because while that may be true, I think that's now "I'm Coming Out" from 1980, tim. By Diana. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure most drag queens would point to Diana's song (written by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards). Yes, "I Will Survive" is likely a gay anthem, as is almost any disco anthem from the '70s or '80s. But "Im Coming Out," given a quick Google search, is all about LGBTQ and has "anthem" written all over it. 

Never mind, I looked it up. Both are gay anthems. "I Will Survive" was the song used at one of the first Gay Pride parades in '79, before "I'm Coming Out" even came out. So carry on. 
Thats not my quote. I dont know how you quoted timschochet and my name appears there.

As I mentioned, it became even more of an anthem during the AIDS crisis, which makes sense. 

7. Queen “Don’t Stop Me Now” (from Jazz

https://youtu.be/HgzGwKwLmgM

In the summer of 1980 I attended my first rock concert (without my parents that is). It was Queen at the Forum. Still one of the best concerts I ever attended. And I clearly remember the magic when Freddie played the opening notes of this tune on piano- the crowd exploded. Such a great great melody. 

timschochet said:
9. Elvis Costello “This Year’s Girl” (from This Year’s Model

https://youtu.be/2lamyY_8iwE

Might be the best song ever written by Elvis Costello. Certainly his finest effort off of his best album. A pop masterpiece. 
I had never heard this until it was used as the theme song for The Deuce.   :bag:   I really missed out for 25-plus years.

8. Dire Straits “Sultans of Swing” (from Dire Straits) 

https://youtu.be/h0ffIJ7ZO4U

This tune introduced the world to the genius of Mark Knopfler. And it still might be the best thing he ever did. Great lyrics, great melody, incredible guitar riffs, this is flawless rock and roll of a very high order. 

I guess Knopler's guitar work on this song is considered a call and answer with the verse/guitar lick.  For whatever reason I always loved songs that feature that  ex. Beatles: While my guitar gently weeps or Ten Years After: I'd love to change the world.  Sultans of Swing is my favorite one to use that. Could be number one for me this year.

5. Buzzcocks “Ever Fallen In Love” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/0Af7ayYIJ9w

Recently in another thread I wrote that this song was a timeless hit regardless of its form (post punk); I speculated that if James Taylor had released this tune in the early 1970s in acoustic singer songwriter style, it would still have been a hit. I was teased for writing this but nobody challenged me on it. I stand by the claim. 

You want her broken with her mouth wide open cuz she's this year's girl...

Maybe the best song off of one of the best albums I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. 
“You see yourself rolling on the carpet
With this year's girl”

this lyric really hit home when a 14 yo boy heard it the first time and still resonates today in a geezers head. Nothing rang truer in a young teen fantasy. Easily my favorite song by Elvis

; I speculated that if James Taylor had released this tune in the early 1970s in acoustic singer songwriter style, it would still have been a hit
Not a chance. Wouldn’t be sung with the same emotions which imo totally make the song

Enjoyable info about the story behind the song

a little snippet from the link

“In an interview with Uncut magazine, Shelley recalled: “The opening line was originally ‘You piss on my natural emotions,’ but because Orgasm Addict hadn’t been getting radio play because of its title, I needed something a bit subtler. So I came up with ‘spurn.’ It had the same sort of disregard, but wasn’t so likely to offend!”

In the same Uncut interview the song’s producer Martin Rushent recalled: “Pete played me Ever Fallen In Love… for the first time and my jaw hit the floor. I felt it was the strongest song that they had written – clever, witty lyrics, great hook lines. I suggested backing vocals to highlight the chorus and make it even more powerful. No one could hit the high part, so I did it. I’d sung in bands in my youth and I also worked as a backing singer.”

Both the verse and the chorus start with minor chords, which gives the song a distinctly downbeat, edgy feel. The minor chords and the B-major-to-D-major move in the chorus are unusual for a 1970s punk song, yet they contribute to its ear-catching nature, along with the vocal melody and the short lead guitar line that shows up in every pre-verse section. “

4. The Doobie  Brothers “What A Fool Believes” (from Minute By Minute

https://youtu.be/qKYQNtF11eg

Barely making the cut (Minute By Minute was released in late December of 1978) “What A Fool Believes” is the quintessential Yacht Rock song, easily the best one ever. Co-written by Yacht Rock legends Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald, the song features multilayered instrumentation, a very complex melody, falsettos in harmony, and it’s as soothing as an ocean breeze. And it’s absolutely brilliant. 

Barely making the cut (Minute By Minute was released in late December of 1978) “What A Fool Believes” is the quintessential Yacht Rock song, easily the best one ever. Co-written by Yacht Rock legends Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald, the song features multilayered instrumentation, a very complex melody, falsettos in harmony, and it’s as soothing as an ocean breeze. And it’s absolutely brilliant. 
@Yo Mamahas strong feelings about this song.

Brilliant is the word.  Peak McDonald Doobie.

1. Warren Zevon “Werewolves of London” (from Excitable Boy

https://youtu.be/qae25976UgA

First off let’s note the remarkable band Warren assembled: he’s on vocals and piano, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, John McVie on bass, Mick Fleetwood on drums. Pretty much as good as it gets, 

Some of the greatest lyrics ever are in the song, especially the Pina Colada at Trader Vic’s (and his hair was perfect.) 

So that will do it for 1978. I had fun as always writing this, hope you had fun reading it. 

I will take a break for a few weeks and then continue the 1970s. Here are the years I haven’t done: 

Any suggestions which one to do next? 

Users who are viewing this thread