What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs Of 1978 #1. Werewolves of London (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
3. Earth, Wind & Fire “September” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/Gs069dndIYk

One of the greatest dance anthems and generally feel good songs ever written. It’s timeless and infectious and what’s interesting to me is how many people, young and old, absolutely adore this tune. 
If you had asked me in real time back then which EWF song would be their most popular 40 years later, I wouldn't have picked this one. Don't get me wrong - it's a great record. But I'd have bet my last two dollars that it would have been "Reasons" or "Fantasy" or "That's The Way Of The World". "September" seemed a little more lightweight to me than some of their other songs when it was released.

Yet, this record still gets played in grocery stores, doctor's offices, and on multiple radio formats - maybe more than all of their other hits combined. Probably for the reasons you listed above.

Never heard of this song.  I didn't really start listening to music (due to age) until the early 80s.

Is there a reason I've never heard this song?

It isn't that good?

I don't even remember it and not surprising, as while it was #12 in the UK it never charted here in the Billboard Top 100 (but it might have been big among the college dorm crowd  :hophead: )

Seriously, it had some popularity in dance clubs, #11 in US Billboard Hot Dance Club Play.

1. Warren Zevon “Werewolves of London” (from Excitable Boy

https://youtu.be/qae25976UgA

First off let’s note the remarkable band Warren assembled: he’s on vocals and piano, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, John McVie on bass, Mick Fleetwood on drums. Pretty much as good as it gets, 

Some of the greatest lyrics ever are in the song, especially the Pina Colada at Trader Vic’s (and his hair was perfect.) 
I saw @timschochet grocery shoppin' at Trader Joe's
His list was perfect.........HUP!

I'll not argue the song being on the list as the movie was one that impressed me greatly as a young man and later in life, became an anthem at our house parties. I will contend it being #1 but again, my rankings differ from yours, not the content.

Thanks for putting in the time Timmay, good work in here.

wait ...no.

what is the story behind this?   

Speaking only for myself, the emoji was used to passive aggressively mock or ridicule people in PSF and by usually those on one side of the political spectrum more than on the other (that is my perception, which may or may not be accurate).

It was not unusual to see 3+ laughing emojis on every serious post that some people made and requests to explain what was found to be so amusing, almost always went unanswered. 

1. Warren Zevon “Werewolves of London” (from Excitable Boy

https://youtu.be/qae25976UgA

First off let’s note the remarkable band Warren assembled: he’s on vocals and piano, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, John McVie on bass, Mick Fleetwood on drums. Pretty much as good as it gets, 

Some of the greatest lyrics ever are in the song, especially the Pina Colada at Trader Vic’s (and his hair was perfect.) 
I was hoping number one would be "Lawyers, Guns and Money," which would be my pick for the top spot.  I'll happily accept your opinion.  My screen name is an obscure Zevon song, only available on a live solo album.  When I was turning 30 and the album had just come out in '93, I was an emotional wreck.  My wife and I were having a discussion about my multiple issues and she asked me why I was so stressed.  I said "I am the worrierking," after the song.  She will revert to that nickname whenever I am unnecessarily stressed.

Great story about werewolves is that Waddy Wachtel and Jackson Browne, who were producing "Excitable Boy" had tried multiple rhythm sections in trying to get "Werewolves" the way they wanted it.  They called in McVie and Fleetwood and they nailed it on the second take.  When Waddy suggested that they had it, McVie and Fleetwood insisted that they could do better and re-recorded it all night.  When they finally finished at the crack of dawn, Waddy and Jackson agreed that take two was the best.

Thanks for doing this, Tim. A great year for music and right in my wheelhouse for my age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping number one would be "Lawyer's, Guns and Money," which would be my pick for the top spot. 
I think Lawyers Guns is a much better song as well but neither belong in the top spot in my opinion.   It’s Tims list and he does a much better job at these rankings than I could ever do though.  I don’t worry about the rankings and just love hearing songs that. Have long forgotten.   

If you had asked me in real time back then which EWF song would be their most popular 40 years later, I wouldn't have picked this one. Don't get me wrong - it's a great record. But I'd have bet my last two dollars that it would have been "Reasons" or "Fantasy" or "That's The Way Of The World". "September" seemed a little more lightweight to me than some of their other songs when it was released.

Yet, this record still gets played in grocery stores, doctor's offices, and on multiple radio formats - maybe more than all of their other hits combined. Probably for the reasons you listed above.
It’s a staple at weddings — almost to the level of Celebration and YMCA. Their other songs aren’t. 

5. Buzzcocks “Ever Fallen In Love” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/0Af7ayYIJ9w

Recently in another thread I wrote that this song was a timeless hit regardless of its form (post punk); I speculated that if James Taylor had released this tune in the early 1970s in acoustic singer songwriter style, it would still have been a hit. I was teased for writing this but nobody challenged me on it. I stand by the claim. 
This may be a song where the cover is better...see further down. Still has its charm though.

Well, according to David Lee Roth, “Music critics like Elvis Costello because music critics look like Elvis Costello.”
Has David Lee Roth ever crafted a lyric beyond puerile nonsense? Serious question. Its a cheap shot and as usual image over substance. I dont even like Elvis Costello lol. Its petty jealous from DLR

timschochet said:
2. Blondie “Heart of Glass” (from Parallel Lines

https://youtu.be/WGU_4-5RaxU

What can I write about this iconic tune that hasn’t been written a thousand times before? One of the greatest New Wave songs ever. One of the greatest disco songs ever. Timeless and still listened to today. A sublime classic. 
Check out the 1975 version called Once I had a Love. Mike Chapman got his hands on it and turned that reggae mess into an international iconic number 1. The value of a good producer

Never heard of this song.  I didn't really start listening to music (due to age) until the early 80s.

Is there a reason I've never heard this song?
Fine Young Cannibals did a cover. Their version went top 10 in the UK and top 30 everywhere but America. It was the single between The Elvis cover of Suspicious Minds which went top 10 everywhere except the US and their own song “She Drives Me Crazy” which was a monster hit worldwide including number 1 in the US

So that will do it for 1978. I had fun as always writing this, hope you had fun reading it. 

I will take a break for a few weeks and then continue the 1970s. Here are the years I haven’t done: 

Any suggestions which one to do next? 
1972...before my time so i might learn something

Speaking only for myself, the emoji was used to passive aggressively mock or ridicule people in PSF and by usually those on one side of the political spectrum more than on the other (that is my perception, which may or may not be accurate).

It was not unusual to see 3+ laughing emojis on every serious post that some people made and requests to explain what was found to be so amusing, almost always went unanswered. 
Joe thought it better to get rid of the offending emoji than the offending posters.

I vote for 1980 because it's the first year I started to have any semblance of musical awareness outside of parents.  1977 would be great too just for the dawn of punk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shall I do 1978 as a counterpoint to Tim again?
:thumbup: I can pull together some “assists” again if you would like. I think you’ve got one that I would have given based on your picks in the Worldwide countdown.
If you can come up with 5 quickly, great. Including the one from the Worldwide lol, Send em thru.
Once I get serious with this I may need one or two more to top it off

Shall I do 1978 as a counterpoint to Tim again?
:thumbup: I can pull together some “assists” again if you would like. I think you’ve got one that I would have given based on your picks in the Worldwide countdown.
If you can come up with 5 quickly, great. Including the one from the Worldwide lol, Send em thru.
Once I get serious with this I may need one or two more to top it off
Just spent a little bit of time looking at my library, will send a PM with some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread