What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest VAN HALEN songs - Roth era only (list over) (1 Viewer)

02. Light Up the Sky
I was pretty pumped when they made LUTS the opener on their 2015 tour. So cool to see that song in the set list at all let-alone as the curtain-jerker. What a way to crank up the energy for a show.

Speaking of openers and energy, I've always loved how the band plays themselves onto the stage with the wailing/driving guitar from Eddie and Alex going a little nuts as well. That's always been an under-appreciated tactic of the band IMO. Question - were there bands that did this pre-VH? In other words, who did they steal that from? Or was that another of their innovations? I'm not sure I've ever seen another band do this other than Sammy Hagar/The Circle who seem to have learned it from VH. Most bands just hit the stage and start by playing a song. I love the way VH builds the hype with their rocking walk-on. Anyone know the origins of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty pumped when they made LUTS the opener on their 2015 tour. So cool to see that song in the set list at all let-alone as the curtain-jerker. What a way to crank up the energy for a show.

Speaking of openers and energy, I've always loved how the band plays themselves onto the stage with the wailing/driving guitar from Eddie and Alex going a little nuts as well. That's always been an under-appreciated tactic of the band IMO. Question - were there bands that did this pre-VH? In other words, who did they steal that from? Or was that another of their innovations? I'm not sure I've ever seen another band do this other than Sammy Hagar/The Circle who seem to have learned it from VH. Most bands just hit the stage and start by playing a song. I love the way VH builds the hype with their rocking walk-on. Anyone know the origins of this?
R&B bands did it all the time in the 50s/60s/70s

Note that this list will not have covers or guitar solo songs
Buried in work for several weeks, so just found this thread. Love it. :thumbup:  

However, this particular caveat is a crusher, since it leaves out Eruption/You Really Got Me. Solo and cover, but amongst their very best work IMO.

They are not pre-VH, but Dave Matthews Band will often play themselves on stage. 

I'm thinking top 3 from VH3.
That is easy:

Once
Dirty Water Dog
Fire in a Hole

I also like Without You a lot. Year to the Day sorta felt like their attempt at a Stairway to Heaven, and they almost nailed it.  Good song, but feels like it is missing something.

Just Win Baby said:

However, this particular caveat is a crusher, since it leaves out Eruption/You Really Got Me. Solo and cover, but amongst their very best work IMO.
I totally get that, but I figured the band had more than enough good songs that were their own to fill up a list like this.  I did a Rush top 50 a while back as well and never even considered including Summertime Blues or any of the covers they did on Feedback, for example.

Just Win Baby said:

I totally get that, but I figured the band had more than enough good songs that were their own to fill up a list like this.  I did a Rush top 50 a while back as well and never even considered including Summertime Blues or any of the covers they did on Feedback, for example.
With all due respect, I don't think Rush has any covers that rival You Really Got Me from VH, which IMO is possibly the best cover of all time.

Did you exclude YYZ from your Rush list? If so, I think that is equally egregious as excluding Eruption. But... it's your list.  :headbang:

With all due respect, I don't think Rush has any covers that rival You Really Got Me from VH, which IMO is possibly the best cover of all time.

Did you exclude YYZ from your Rush list? If so, I think that is equally egregious as excluding Eruption. But... it's your list.  :headbang:
Nope, YYZ was on it, and pretty high, too, in fact. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread