What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Car Guy Thread (2 Viewers)

Hey car guys - I am only moderately educated about cars.

Looking at 2 SUV's..   one is a v6 with a regular transmission and no turbocharger..   the other is a 4 cylindar with CVT and turbocharger.   My gut tells me that the naturally aspirated v6 with a conventional transmission would be way more reliable.. but I've never owned a CVT car with a turbocharger...  is there nothing to fear with that tech in 2019?
Unless CVT transmissions have improved vastly in reliability, I'd stay away..  

Looking at 2 SUV's..   one is a v6 with a regular transmission and no turbocharger..   the other is a 4 cylindar with CVT and turbocharger.   My gut tells me that the naturally aspirated v6 with a conventional transmission would be way more reliable.. but I've never owned a CVT car with a turbocharger...  is there nothing to fear with that tech in 2019?
I'd always stick with naturally aspirated vs. turbocharged for longevity.

Unless CVT transmissions have improved vastly in reliability, I'd stay away..  
I'm pretty sure they have...  subaru uses nothing but CVT and they have a pretty good reliability reputation......    so I don't know how much of CVT is just negativity from years ago vs. still a reality today

Assume you are looking at the Ascent given I think that is the only SUV with a 4 cylinder, CVT and turbocharger.  Subaru has very good reliability but think the engine in that car is brand new so there are some risks.  Of course the entire Ascent is brand new so some risks involved with any fully new model.  Subaru does use the CVT in all their cars so wouldn't be too worried about it specifically.

Lastly, my in laws just got the car and will say it is nice for a large family hauler but I haven't driven it yet.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure they have...  subaru uses nothing but CVT and they have a pretty good reliability reputation......    so I don't know how much of CVT is just negativity from years ago vs. still a reality today
Have you driven one?  The only reason I ask is b/c I have a 2016 WRX (manual) and this is my 2nd Subaru so I'm a bit of a fanboy (I'm told) and every time I get a loaner from Subie it has that CVT in it and, I don't know man maybe it's me, but I absolutely hate that transmission.  I can't eloquently say why other than it feels like a big rubber band to me.  The non-turbo, 4 cylinder Subaru's feel gutless to me in the first place but coupled with that CVT and I just feel like a Forester or Outback (for example) just cannot get out of their own way. 

As far as a turbo car goes, I'm on my 2nd turbo Subaru, my brother's on his 2nd turbo Subaru.  We've had good luck with the turbos but I think that's because we both stay on top of the maintenance.  I put 125k on my 2005 OBXT MT when I traded it (oem engine and turbo, I replaced the clutch because it had a worn out throw out bearing around 85-90k miles) and I think I have around 35k on my WRX.  He put 250k on his 2004 WRX (original clutch, turbo and engine when he traded it) and he's got around 100k on his 2015 STi.  Change the oil with the manufacturer's recommended oil (or better) at the recommended intervals and I think you'll be fine with a turbo. 

Anyway, my wife is due for a new car in a year or two, we were originally thinking about an Outback or Forester or Legacy for her but after driving these cars as I'm leaning more towards a RAV4 or Highlander, RDX or MDX for an SUV or if it's a sedan a Camry or Avalon or TLX.

Have you driven one?  The only reason I ask is b/c I have a 2016 WRX (manual) and this is my 2nd Subaru so I'm a bit of a fanboy (I'm told) and every time I get a loaner from Subie it has that CVT in it and, I don't know man maybe it's me, but I absolutely hate that transmission.  I can't eloquently say why other than it feels like a big rubber band to me.  The non-turbo, 4 cylinder Subaru's feel gutless to me in the first place but coupled with that CVT and I just feel like a Forester or Outback (for example) just cannot get out of their own way. 

As far as a turbo car goes, I'm on my 2nd turbo Subaru, my brother's on his 2nd turbo Subaru.  We've had good luck with the turbos but I think that's because we both stay on top of the maintenance.  I put 125k on my 2005 OBXT MT when I traded it (oem engine and turbo, I replaced the clutch because it had a worn out throw out bearing around 85-90k miles) and I think I have around 35k on my WRX.  He put 250k on his 2004 WRX (original clutch, turbo and engine when he traded it) and he's got around 100k on his 2015 STi.  Change the oil with the manufacturer's recommended oil (or better) at the recommended intervals and I think you'll be fine with a turbo. 

Anyway, my wife is due for a new car in a year or two, we were originally thinking about an Outback or Forester or Legacy for her but after driving these cars as I'm leaning more towards a RAV4 or Highlander, RDX or MDX for an SUV or if it's a sedan a Camry or Avalon or TLX.
I don't think Subie is building any of their cars for any sense of performance (other than BRZ and WRX) and really trying for a comfortable ride with a pretend sense you could go off road with them.  

Assume you are looking at the Ascent given I think that is the only SUV with a 4 cylinder, CVT and turbocharger.  Subaru has very good reliability but think the engine in that car is brand new so there are some risks.  Of course the entire Ascent is brand new so some risks involved with any fully new model.  Subaru does use the CVT in all their cars so wouldn't be too worried about it specifically.

Lastly, my in laws just got the car and will say it is nice for a large family hauler but I haven't driven it yet.  
Yes.  Comparing Ascent to the Kia Telluride.

At the loaded trims of both which I"m looking at..  Subaru has more of a "name" brand to it...  and the CVT seemed fine for me and my wife on each of our test drives..  but a 4 cylinder in a car of that size just seems weak even if it drove just fine..  it's a family hauler, I'm not looking for a driving experience of any sort.. and my wife sure won't care.

The Telluride is also a brand new model.. for the same price it had a naturally aspirated V6, regular transmission,  a little more interior room, a little nicer on the inside, and a much better Warranty... but Kia.

So this is new terrain for me.  In the past I've always had an Uncle in the business and have just bought my cars from him so it was easy.. now I"m actually shopping with purpose.. feels weird.

Yes.  Comparing Ascent to the Kia Telluride.

At the loaded trims of both which I"m looking at..  Subaru has more of a "name" brand to it...  and the CVT seemed fine for me and my wife on each of our test drives..  but a 4 cylinder in a car of that size just seems weak even if it drove just fine..  it's a family hauler, I'm not looking for a driving experience of any sort.. and my wife sure won't care.

The Telluride is also a brand new model.. for the same price it had a naturally aspirated V6, regular transmission,  a little more interior room, a little nicer on the inside, and a much better Warranty... but Kia.

So this is new terrain for me.  In the past I've always had an Uncle in the business and have just bought my cars from him so it was easy.. now I"m actually shopping with purpose.. feels weird.
To be honest I know nothing about Kias other than they have a good warranty. 

I do like Subaru’s and used to have an outback. It was a great car and never had any issues. We will be looking at Ascent when our Volvo XC90 goes off of its lease. My inlaws do love it. 

Users who are viewing this thread