What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Case of the Puzzling PPR League (1 Viewer)

Lord Fantasy

Footballguy
I'm joining a league that has what seems to me to be a highly unusual scoring/roster system.

Details below, but in brief, it's a small, limited-roster, limited-transaction, short-bench, double-flex PPR league with yardage bonuses.

The small league size, limited roster and yardage bonuses would seem to make studs hyper-important, but the double flex and the PPR have me confused.

Not at all looking for who to draft, but hoping that the more Sherlockian members of the Shark Pool find this to be an interesting draft-strategy puzzle.

Cheers,

Lord Fantasy

Puzzling PPR League

10 teams

14 roster spots

15 drops/adds throughout the entire season

Start:

1 QB

1 RB

1 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR Flex

1 RB/WR/TE Flex

1 K

1 D/ST

Scoring:

4 pts passing TD

1 pt per 25 passing

3 pts for 300+ yards passing

6 pts per rushing or receiving TD

1 pt 10 yards rushing & receiving

2 pts for 100+ yards rushing or receiving

1 pt per reception for RB/WR/TE

-2 for fumbles and interceptions

Point bonuses for long kicks (and -1 for missed filed goals up to 39 yards)

D/ST rewards shutouts (15 points for zero allowed; 12 for less than a TD) and punishes blowouts (-6 for allowing more than 35 points)

Hmm this is kind of interesting. I'll throw out a few thoughts that might be helpful:

1. Ten teams - as you point out, it's tilted towards studs. But despite the relatively low QB scoring, it puts a premium on every position, QB through TE.
  2. 14 roster spots - no need for a backup QB or TE. Use two of your add/drops to pick one up for the byes. Use your other roster spots on 2-3 RBs and 1-2 WRs.
  3. Even though it's possible to start 2 TEs, I don't think its useful given no TE PPR bonus.
  4. QBs - this is kind of tricky, because the 10 team league favors the top 3-4 QBs. I would target Brees, Manning, Brady, Romo. I would avoid the traditional "value" guys like Luck and Wilson. Romo is still a nice value. However, note that in leagues with 4 points for passing TDs and 25 yards per point, it pushes up the runners like Cam, Kaep and Vick. All things being equal, I would try to snag an elite traditional passer if one falls to you, or if not, aim for running QBs a bit later. Vick or Kaep as QB 10 might be a steal.
  5. Given the defensive scoring, I wouldn't mind taking the 1st or 2nd defense off the board (SF and Seattle IMO).
  6. Because of the short bench and the limited transactions, I would take a look at the FBGs article on "Hot Starts" and target guys who will be solid in the first 4-5 weeks. This isnt the kind of league to draft and hold a guy who won't get going until the middle of the season (i.e. high upside backups like Tate and Christine Michael).
  7. ETA - one thought on TEs. Obviously Graham is the stud, and you can recover more easily at RB and WR in a 10-team league if you go TE early. However, Gronk is sort of a mystery here. He's not the kind of guy you want to stash on your bench for 3-6 weeks. but, on the other hand, he should be playing before you get to the bye weeks. However, drafting him means you need to waste a roster spot on another TE, AND a transaction when you drop that TE once Gronk starts. He might be a decent value if people discount him and he falls to the 4th/5th round.
Overall, looks like a fun league! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the reply. Very thoughtful and helpful.

I agree on the QB front. I'm picking fourth, which means I'll be able to pick up a great pass-catching RB. Then hopefully Manning is available to me at pick #17. Between his schedule and his added weapons I think he could have a personal best season this year.

What's still confusing me is the double flex position.

Maybe I need to ignore the flexy-ness and just assume that I'll be starting 2 RBs and 2 WRs? This would push me toward drafting a more boring, traditional lineup, but would prevent me from trying to get cute and trying to dominate one position or another.

If I we're in the 1-5 seats I would pray that Graham makes it back to me in the 2nd and go RB/TE/RB.

Hes one of the few TEs who might achieve the yardage bonuses and will be a pretty substantial ppg advantage at the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread