What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Criterion Collection (1 Viewer)

I didn't realize there was a streaming service for this until my 17 year old just asked for a subscription for an early birthday/Christmas present. Signed up today. $10.99 a month or $99 for a year.

awesome that your kid is into that

So we are about a year into Criterion releasing 4K discs. How do people feel so far? What have you seen/purchased?

I was going to say why would anyone purchase these when they could just stream everything for the monthly fee...then I remembered that a little over two years ago I took up vinyl collecting and have about 350 records on my shelves already. 🤪

I was going to say why would anyone purchase these when they could just stream everything for the monthly fee...then I remembered that a little over two years ago I took up vinyl collecting and have about 350 records on my shelves already. 🤪
Love it, I am a big Spotify fan with no records and I could see myself saying the same silly thing to you!

Yes, in a way. It's not the whole Criterion collection at all times available to stream, just like other services titles come and go. That said, one thing they do better than any other service is many of the movies also have the special features available to stream as well, so there is slightly less reason to buy a disc when they do that. Unless I missed something, the streaming service isn't in UHD/4K yet, so that is one reason to maybe buy something instead if you love the movie.

Love it, I am a big Spotify fan with no records and I could see myself saying the same silly thing to you!
I listen to Spotify all the time too.

Pasolini box set that they announced looks pretty good. I haven’t seen any of his films though — maybe a good excuse to dig into them, but also nervous about dropping that much money on it.

50% off 24 hour flash sale on in stock discs.

I am going to get 4. Not sure which though…

Also referring to your post above, I’ve never seen any Pasolini either and have no idea what to even think of his films.

I am going to get 4. Not sure which though…

Also referring to your post above, I’ve never seen any Pasolini either and have no idea what to even think of his films.

I ended up going with three: Toni by Jean Renoir, Parasite, and It Happened One Night. I haven’t seen Toni, but decided to go for it. I love Parasite and It Happened One Night — thought needed those for the collection as don’t own any copies of those.

I ended up going with three: Toni by Jean Renoir, Parasite, and It Happened One Night. I haven’t seen Toni, but decided to go for it. I love Parasite and It Happened One Night — thought needed those for the collection as don’t own any copies of those.
I am going with 2 new to me and 2 favorites

New to Me: Round Midnight and Repo Man
Faves: Richard III and The Palm Beach Story

I can't tell you how mad I was for a second there. Bad timing getting the Bergman set on Amazon, then this, but it was 53% off there, so actually a couple dollars less.
This doesn't quite look totally 50% off at Criterion. The 4Ks only seem 20% off.

Nevermind- the lesser discount is for upcoming releases

I can't tell you how mad I was for a second there. Bad timing getting the Bergman set on Amazon, then this, but it was 53% off there, so actually a couple dollars less.
This doesn't quite look totally 50% off at Criterion. The 4Ks only seem 20% off.

Nevermind- the lesser discount is for upcoming releases
It was bluray, not 4K anyway. I was a little hesitant about the price, but I figured - WTF that's about $4/movie, and I was already thinking about buying 3 or 4 of them seperately and that would have been about the same price in the long run.

It was bluray, not 4K anyway. I was a little hesitant about the price, but I figured - WTF that's about $4/movie, and I was already thinking about buying 3 or 4 of them seperately and that would have been about the same price in the long run.
Cool, I just noticed some of the movies weren't half and was confused at first.

I have toyed with the idea of getting the Fellini and Bergman set so many times (and crazy part is, I'm not the biggest Bergman fan) If you have regrets, I would consider buying it off you for like $3 a movie.

Would be interested in thoughts on the Bergman set after watch. One of those were nervous to drop the coin because have not seem enough.

Love the Fellini and Wong Kar Wai sets that I have though.

Wow, this Bergman set is intimidating. It also came with a great looking 200pg book that also looks fantastic. The way they ordered the movies is interesting, and I think I am just going to dig in that way. It is organized as though it's a film festival with opening and closing nights, double features, and centerpieces. Opening night is Smiles of a Summer Night, then the first pairing are his first two movies.

Gonna need to be in the right frame of mind to view a cult classic. Not sure what I mean by that, but it's definitely a hit-or-miss movie.
Watched this morning and dug it. So freaking strange but score is fantastic and it's full of so many great little details. The one thing that was actually most jarring for me wasn't the glowing green car or alien incineration but Emilio Estevez. Just given what I know of him, he seems so out of place in this movie. I don't think he's bad necessarily, just weird casting with hindsight.

Otto. I'll never see him as anything but Otto, traipsing through a hellish suburban/exurban wasteland, generic food and drink in tow.

food

beer
I can't help but see him as the jock serving detention or Coach Gordon Bombay. Still loved the movie though. I am going to watch Brazil next. It's a very different movie but they seemed like a nice double bill of just very weird 80s sci-fi comedies.

It was perfect casting E Estevez as Otto. He is neither Punk nor repo man.

He was still trying to find his place in the world.

The Firemen's Ball (Milos Forman) is among my favorite Criterions. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face. It is so hilarious.
The dvd has an interview with Forman too.

Last edited:
Fantastic and intimidating. I am slowly making my way through it. Summers are never great for movie watching here, but will pick up in a month - most of my foreign movie watching is during the day when I am more awake and focused, so when the kids go back to school I watch more.

ETA: Definitely worth the $4/movie price tag.

December releases:

Blast of Silence

Swift, brutal, and blackhearted, Allen Baron’s New York City noir is a low-budget, carefully crafted portrait of a hit man on assignment in Manhattan during Christmastime, featuring rough, poetic narration performed by Lionel Stander and written by Waldo Salt.

Special Features: A program about the making of the film, rare on-set Polaroids and location photos, a graphic-novel adaptation by artist Sean Phillips, and more​

Days of Heaven

Filmmaker-philosopher Terrence Malick’s glorious period tragedy, about a Chicago steelworker (Richard Gere) who commits a crime and flees to the wheat fields of the Texas panhandle, is both a dreamlike American idyll and a gritty evocation of turn-of-the-century labor.
Special Features: 4K UHD release with a new restoration of the film; audio commentary; interviews with Gere, actor Sam Shepard, and cinematographer Haskell Wexler; and more

The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse

Everyday life becomes an adventure in these enchanting fables and fantasies, inviting all ages to experience the wonder and mystery of the world anew.

Special Features: A new interview with Lamorisse’s son Pascal; My Father Was a Red Balloon, a 2008 documentary; archival television interviews with Lamorisse; English narrations; and more

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio

A classic tale is reborn through the inspired imagination of cinematic dream-weaver Guillermo del Toro, whose dark rendering of the fable features boundary-pushing, breathtakingly intricate stop-motion animation.

Special Features: 4K UHD release; a new documentary about the film; a new program featuring del Toro and codirector Mark Gustafson; a conversation among del Toro, Gustafson, and author Neil Gaiman; and more​

Got the new 4K UHD release of “The Last Picture Show” recently. Started going through — great picture quality and some goodies that looking forward to explore (commentaries by Bogdanovich, and black and white director’s cut of Texasville, that I’ve heard is far superior to the theatrical release)

Users who are viewing this thread