What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The FBG Diet 2017: FBG Chef Throwdown - Pg 4 (1 Viewer)

Me personally, I eat tons of rice, (yes potatoes), chicken, and fish.  When I get home I'm happy to share some easy recipes.  When I need a sweet fix, I find the popcorn drizzled with chocolate is an effective use of 130 calories or so.  Also, salsa has only like 15 calories per serving (maybe 200 calories in the jar total), pretzels and salsa are a decent snack if you need something crunchy and I can usually get away with taking in 200 calories or so at a sitting.
What's the sodium like in a jar of salsa?  I'm always amazed at how salty a jar of salsa from the store is compared to homemade.  

My wife often jokes with people that a long time ago I got fat when people of the internet shipped me beer in boxes that looked like they contained a bomb.  I can't say I disagree with her. That beer spot site singlehandedly put me up 4 inches in my waist (well that and the me drinking it part).  I deleted it from my browser history, promptly dropped 30 pounds and haven't ever looked back.  That was at least 8 years ago now?

@mr. furley
i've got the original BOTM email address filed away somewhere. i believe that was 2006.  @bakes?

COME BACK
WE MISS YOU

eta: i am still active on http://www.thebeerspot.com, have lost between 50-60 lbs (depends on the holiday that just passed :oldunsure: ) but still drink on the weekends. running and cutting back on portions + snacks + losing soda did wonders for me :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost ~50 pounds since August on the keto diet. 

People who have issues losing weight probably consume tons of bread, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit juices and a bunch of other crap that's packed full of sugar and carbohydrates. And I bet they eat "low fat" foods as well. 

High fat/low carb has completely changed the way I view what's "healthy." 

Most people can't do it, however. They love their potatoes, rice, pasta & sodas too much. 
I get what you're trying to say, but :lol:  lumping soda with potatoes and rice. 

Screw dieting.  Now is the time to eat as much as you can and put on mass.  Then cut before bathing suit season.

AAABatteries said:
I'd love to hear from either people who have always been slim/fit and healthy and what their tips/tricks are but also folks who have lost and managed to keep it off.  I've lost 60 pounds two different times and then put it back on - I feel like I know what to do to lose but maintaining once I've lost has been nearly impossible for me.
I was always slim and fit. Then I became sedentary. And was not. Don't know where I topped out but it was a bad 225'ish.

I was single then and had more time to prioritize health, but a lot of the good habits I practice now were started then. I basically did two a days every day during the week, lifting over lunch and running at night. I'd skip the run Friday night and do a longer one sometime over the weekend then rest the other day. 

Life doesn't allow for all of that exercise anymore. My regimen is certainly still more exercise based, but as I get older food is becoming more important. That said the problem with building around exercise is what do you do when you're injured. I battled them from basically Aug 2014-Dec 2015. I yo-yo'd throughout this period, topping out around 210, but as my diet improved the yo-yo's weren't quite as severe. 

I've stabilized now around 175-180. Unless I'm racing I don't want to get any smaller. I haven't gotten a good body fat reading since mid summer  (running took priority to lifting), but I was around 12-14% and I think I'll have a better reading when I do one in a few weeks. 

While the quantity of my food intake varies depending on my exercise the quality doesn't. I believe it was @FUBAR who once said follow the 80-20 rule. 80% of your food should healthy, mildly cheat with the other 20. Now, in lose mode this number needs to be lower and if you don't exercise then it probably does too. But it's worked for me and it's a good goal to set your sights on. Once you get where you want to be you can loosen things up some without regressing.  What should you eat? Trial and error. Or listen to the nutrition pros in here. I'm not one. I just know what works for me. I steal some of their ideas, but I tweak it so I know I will do it. That is ultimately what you should strive for, sustainability. 

We mass prepare food every Sunday. There is some easy cooking during the week sometimes as well as a produce runand we need to get our next days food ready, but the vast majority of our stuff is done Sunday. Streamlined now so all of the next days food is ready and diahes done within a half hour of getting home for all 5 of us. 

Boring? Yes, but boring gets results. 

Been doing a lazy Keto diet since late August.  Down 20 lbs.  Want to drop another 30 though.  It will be good to have a thread for accountability.  

Steve Tasker said:
What's the sodium like in a jar of salsa?  I'm always amazed at how salty a jar of salsa from the store is compared to homemade.  
I don't know.  I don't have an issue with sodium so I don't worry about it.  I drink tons of water during the day and sweat my ### off several times/week.

E-Z Glider said:
My initial thoughts are to not include empty carbs like rice or pretzels unless someone has an argument on why we should. Salsa would fall under the veggies / no-sugary condiment categories. Definitely need to come up with some diet-friendly sweet-fix ideas. Do you make the chocolate popcorn yourself? My sweet-tooth go to is usually a bowl of grapes/apples with some peanut butter.
Here's where things get complicated and restrictive.  Why is rice an "empty carb?"  It pairs perfectly with a ton of food and a cooked cup is less than 200 calories.  A serving of pretzels is usually 110 calories which means you can eat a decent amount without a ton of calories.  I also each a lot of protein and fats during the day.  I don't get as many veggies as I should but I'm working on it.

I need to figure out how not to eat like it is a holiday every day. How not to eat the whole bag of chips. How not to have a second brat or slice of pizza. 

Whatever you do, if maintaining a long-term caloric deficit (which is necessary to lose weight) you must include moderate resistance training at least once a week. This resists the loss of lean muscle mass. 

For losing weight, how much you eat is more important than what types of foods you eat, but they are related. It's easier to eat less if you are eating foods that are more satiating -- generally whole foods containing fiber and water, without added sugars or fats.

Whole food starches are great, including beans, potatoes, oatmeal, lentils, peas, sweet potatoes, rice, and even whole-grain breads and pastas. (If you doubt rice, read about the clinical results from the "rice diet" by Walter Kempner at Duke. If you doubt potatoes, read Tim Steele's stuff on the potato hack. If you doubt bread, look how healthy bread-based diets are for the traditional Swiss mountaineers or the Hunza. It's nearly impossible to find real bread in an American grocery store, though. They mostly sell cake labeled as bread.)

Fruits are good. Vegetables are good. It's hard to find a consensus among nutritionists stronger than this.

High-quality animal products like eggs, milk, and meat are probably good (though perhaps meat should be limited), but this is an area where I think quality really matters. Foods from happy, healthy animals raised on pasture are highly preferable to the alternatives. Fish is good; wild-caught is likely better. Bone broth is great.

Out on the extreme ends of diet land -- veganism, keto, etc. -- I think you'll find lots of personal variation in results. Some people can convert plant-based precursors into needed nutrients just fine while others cannot, for example. My worry about keto is its effects on gut flora. I'd recommend a prebiotic supplement while on it. (A few spoonfuls of potato starch with water is the cheapest option. I think you can keep it low enough to remain in ketosis.)

There are a lot of different ways to eat healthy, and a lot of different ways to eat unhealthy. But I think it's generally pretty hard to eat unhealthy if you're mostly eating food that comes from a farm of some kind instead of in a box from a factory. Eat an apple rather than apple pie. Eat corn instead of soda sweetened with corn syrup. Eat honey instead of refined white sugar. Milk instead of a milkshake. Bake or steam a potato at home instead of buying a bag of chips or fries. Etcetera.

By far the most effective way to lose weight (among healthy options) is to do a water-only fast. Somewhere between five and thirty days is right for most people. I did it once and made it twelve days. I am planning to do it once a year -- not for weight loss so much as for overall health.

The drawback is that you may have to pretty much just lie around in bed the whole time, which makes it impossible to do if you have a job or a wife and kids. (Some people can lead normal lives, others have no energy. I was in the second group.)

But if you have nothing to do for the next week or two, it's actually a really good option. Upton Sinclair wrote a fun book about it, filled with anecdotes from his correspondents. A more modern source is the Joel Fuhrman book. Another great source is the collection of articles and blog posts from this clinic that has overseen tens of thousands of water-only fasts. (Or maybe just thousands. I don't want to look it up right now.)

Regarding exercise -- its effects specifically on weight loss are murky, but its effects on overall health are unambiguously good. (Reasonable exercise, not going totally overboard like on The Biggest Loser.)

proninja said:
Things you'll find a consensus on:

1.  Eat lots of vegetables, especially leafy greens
  2. Drink lots of water
  3. Eat fewer calories than you consume
  4. Do it forever
The problem is, where the disagreement lies is where the bulk of your calories come from. Try to eat 2000 calories of green veggies in a day and get back to me. 
Any recommendations on how to do this? :)

By far the most effective way to lose weight (among healthy options) is to do a water-only fast. Somewhere between five and thirty days is right for most people. I did it once and made it twelve days. I am planning to do it once a year -- not for weight loss so much as for overall health.

The drawback is that you may have to pretty much just lie around in bed the whole time, which makes it impossible to do if you have a job or a wife and kids. (Some people can lead normal lives, others have no energy. I was in the second group.)

But if you have nothing to do for the next week or two, it's actually a really good option. Upton Sinclair wrote a fun book about it, filled with anecdotes from his correspondents. A more modern source is the Joel Fuhrman book. Another great source is the collection of articles and blog posts from this clinic that has overseen tens of thousands of water-only fasts. (Or maybe just thousands. I don't want to look it up right now.)
At first I thought you were joking in this post. Seriously tempted to do this. I bet I'd be miserable on days 2-3 but after that it must feel awesome.  

At first I thought you were joking in this post. Seriously tempted to do this. I bet I'd be miserable on days 2-3 but after that it must feel awesome.  
Days 2-3 are the hardest.

I kept a journal when I did it. I can post it tomorrow...

By the way, MT, was thinking about you the other day -- how are you feeling?  What's the latest update in your treatment?  

Water fast?  We are at the perfect time of year to adapt a reasonable change in diet mixed in with some cardio and resistance training.  We have months for slow, steady progress to pay off bigly.  Extreme methods like a water fast seem kind of dumb when we have several months before we pull out the spring and summer clothes again. 

And @Maurile Tremblay, I'll echo Otis's question, how are you feeling?

Eat honey instead of refined white sugar
We did this little tweak to our coffee.  We weren't big sugar and creamer adders to begin with so it was a very easy change, but I was surprised at how much I liked it.  Half the time I drink coffee black, but some stronger coffees I need to have the bitterness cut down.  I put maybe a half tsp into my coffee and its great.

I have found intermittent fasting to be effective for me in the past, going to get back to it after the holidays. Beyond any of the science behind why it works, it was also good for me to feel hungry, and to learn that it's ok to be hungry.  Too many people think hunger is some sort of extreme suffering they should never feel, so they constantly fail to lose weight. Telling myself that hunger is sometimes necessary and it's just the feeling of my body burning fat was an important mindset shift.

I have found intermittent fasting to be effective for me in the past, going to get back to it after the holidays. Beyond any of the science behind why it works, it was also good for me to feel hungry, and to learn that it's ok to be hungry.  Too many people think hunger is some sort of extreme suffering they should never feel, so they constantly fail to lose weight. Telling myself that hunger is sometimes necessary and it's just the feeling of my body burning fat was an important mindset shift.
Agree 100%.  Plus when you do eat on intermittent fasting you're able to eat enough to leave you satisfied.  

culdeus said:
You have to ask why people are coming around on the idea as to why large quantities of veg and protein are the way forward.  I feel like there is an absorption criteria at work here.  That one is unable to actually process large quantities of both of those items such that you get a larger "budget" when incorporating those food groups. Enough so that I would consider just letting those go uncounted and focus on other things for elegance and simplicity.
I have trouble with big words too, but I think you're suggesting unlimited lean proteins, which sounds good to me. I think the key to making this work is hand-selecting the foods that will be allowed and not having restrictions on them.

Here's where things get complicated and restrictive.  Why is rice an "empty carb?"  It pairs perfectly with a ton of food and a cooked cup is less than 200 calories.  A serving of pretzels is usually 110 calories which means you can eat a decent amount without a ton of calories.  I also each a lot of protein and fats during the day.  I don't get as many veggies as I should but I'm working on it.
Exactly the two things Im looking to avoid. Im leaning towards a set list of foods that are allowed in unlimited quantities. 

Whole food starches are great, including beans, potatoes, oatmeal, lentils, peas, sweet potatoes, rice, (If you doubt rice, read about the clinical results from the "rice diet" by Walter Kempner at Duke. If you doubt potatoes, read Tim Steele's stuff on the potato hack).
:thumbup:  Happy to add rice to the diet if the experts are OK with it. I love rice.

Sweeteners are the one thing that I think we need to allow, but also be restrictive on. I'm thinking something like 2 TBLSP of (honey, maple syrup, agave, etc) per day? Can be used in a breakfast, dessert, or dressing/sauce?

I have trouble with big words too, but I think you're suggesting unlimited lean proteins, which sounds good to me. I think the key to making this work is hand-selecting the foods that will be allowed and not having restrictions on them.

Exactly the two things Im looking to avoid. Im leaning towards a set list of foods that are allowed in unlimited quantities. 

:thumbup:  Happy to add rice to the diet if the experts are OK with it. I love rice.
Yep. Rice should be in IMO. Rice, potatoes and beans are good starches. 

How do we feel about eggs, beef jerky and peanut butter?

How much oils (olive, coconut, algae) and natural sweeteners (honey, maple, agave) should be allowed per day? 2 TBLSP per day sound about right?

I've pretty much cut breakfast out of my diet 

Well there are two schools of thought here.  And I'm starting to lean towards #1 more and more as a lifestyle choice long term.  

• Thought process 1 is that the body can only really absorb 20-30g of protein in about an hour's time.  This is modulated somewhat by activity level but is not typically modulated by metabolism except if on certain pharma products.  But we aren't going there.  There is zero evidence that a person can actually process more than 40g/hr that is backed by good science.  Any more than that and it is likely just #### out your ###.  That gets us to point 2.
  • Thought process 2 is where the keto people stand on this matter, they say they can eat basically unlimited protein and as long as they don't eat carbs they are ok.  Now I'm putting words in their mouth, for effect, but that's somewhat one of the main tenets of that diet.  Bottom line keto would have you thinking that you could eat 5000 calories of protein a day and with a multiV you would cut.  And to an extent they are right.
For me, I feel like Rule #2 of dieting (#1 being eat as much fiber as possible) is eat 20g portions of protein, but as many of them as you want evenly spaced. This solves two major objectives in my mind.  

• Eating gobs of protein without carbs can lead to lean muscle loss.  It's a fantasy to think that 350g of protein means you magically get gigantic.  (without pharma, again leaving that aside)
  • Eating more than what you can handle at a sitting is a bad idea for long term portion control.  A 2500kcal diet that's 65/25/10 will blow you up if just barely tweaked to 50/30/20 it's such a fine line.   
So in my mind a diet where you say 1)Unlimited lean protein 2)Unlimited Veg is a diet that is setup to fail.  BUT it's a fantastic short term cut diet.  You just have to be mindful of what you switch off to when you are done.  

Side note, I place IF in the same category for the same reasons.  It's another diet that you can eat a surplus of calories and still cut for the same reasons (absorption issues) as mentioned above.  

Sweeteners are the one thing that I think we need to allow, but also be restrictive on. I'm thinking something like 2 TBLSP of (honey, maple syrup, agave, etc) per day? Can be used in a breakfast, dessert, or dressing/sauce?
I'm too lazy to go find it, but I looked into agave as a sweetener and I think the glycemic index is off the charts and is why we went to honey as our #1 sweetener.

How do we feel about eggs, beef jerky and peanut butter?
HUGE egg fan. :wub:

Natural PB is awesome - don't eat skippy or the like since there's added sugar.

Beef jerky is awesome if you can find it without all of the preservatives.

Foosball God said:
Basically you limit yourself to a maximum of 40 net carbs a day.  A net carb is the carbs minus fiber.  So proteins, fatty foods, veggies are all good.  Carbs and sugars are bad.

The goal is to get your body into a state of Ketotosis where it burns the stored fat in your body instead of burning the easy carbs.
40 net carbs is pretty high.  I try to shoot for 25 and then have some wiggle room.  I don't do a lot of counting, maybe this is why I have stalled.  Just yesterday I started logging and shooting for my macros.  1768 Calories, 10% carbs, 25% protein, and 65% fats.  

It still blows my mind how having a fat-centric diet actually causes you to feel less bloated.  I'm down 20 since august.  Still looking to hit 168 though so 30 to go.  

40 net carbs is pretty high.  I try to shoot for 25 and then have some wiggle room.  I don't do a lot of counting, maybe this is why I have stalled.  Just yesterday I started logging and shooting for my macros.  1768 Calories, 10% carbs, 25% protein, and 65% fats.  

It still blows my mind how having a fat-centric diet actually causes you to feel less bloated.  I'm down 20 since august.  Still looking to hit 168 though so 30 to go.  
I used to get heartburn all the time, like wake up in the middle of the night with bile in my mouth kind of heartburn.  I've had one mild case since I started this diet in August, and it was a mild discomfort after having tomato sauce, which was pretty acidic.

I used to get heartburn all the time, like wake up in the middle of the night with bile in my mouth kind of heartburn.  I've had one mild case since I started this diet in August, and it was a mild discomfort after having tomato sauce, which was pretty acidic.
The biggest thing for me is the consistent energy throughout the day.  I used to just get on the roller coaster in the morning with an english muffin and coffee...then ride the highs and lows (mostly lows) the whole day until I ate a snack in bed and went to sleep satiated.  Now I wait until 10 or so to eat and always break my fast with eggs.  Then I'm not ravenous at 1:00 or 3:00 or whenever I eat again.  It curbs overeating.

The other big thing has to do with the dopamine system of rewards.  I don't really view having another plate of eggs as any kind of reward.  Not like a nice peanut butter and jelly english muffin with a glass of milk while I watch Shameless.  It's like my brain has become binary (we eat that or we don't) and the reward aspect of meals is diminished.  Food is food.  More meat is meh.  We don't eat that donut in the break room.  We don't drink any calories.  More meat and cheese.  It definitely curbs the late night snacking.  What are you going to do?  Get up and have another string cheese?  You aren't even hungry just bored.  

I won't pretend to know anywhere near as much about nutrition science as many posters here, but I've posted my own general set of guidelines of what I do and what works for me a handful of times, so here it is.  I've been pretty slim for much of my life, though I added ~25 pounds when I graduated from college and settled into adulthood.  I have since lost this weight over the past few years, and now weigh what I weighed when was a freshman in college (approx 140 - I'm not a big guy).  I have no particular diet.  Here's what I do:

• Prepare most of my own meals - I don't always make the extreme healthy option, but try to mix in lean meat and as many vegetables as possible.  Meal-planning is important; I generally know on Friday (my grocery shopping day) what I will be eating every night for dinner the next week.  Try to make dishes with leftovers to minimize the time I have to spend cooking on a worknight.  Getting two nights worth of dinner on 1 night's prep is beneficial for me, especially during times of the year when I have a heavy work schedule.  Don't be afraid to make something "unhealthy" from time-to-time but don't overdo it too much.  Unless I have a planned business lunch with a friend/client, I bring my lunch to work every day.
  • Stick to the fringes of the grocery store - try to stay away from overly-processed foods.  Fresh fruits, vegetables, meats.
  • Get in the habit of reading ingredient labels - I still buy some processed foods, of course.  Read the labels like a hawk.  Try to avoid excess sugar and various derivatives (you'd be amazed how much sugar/HFCS/etc. is in so much of the food we think is relatively "healthy").  This is a bit of "anti-science" mumbo-jumbo that I don't often like to admit, but I try not to buy things if there's an ingredient I can't identify/don't know how to pronounce.
  • Don't overeat - honestly, this is the toughest part for me.  Making double meals (#1 above) is helpful for me, because I know I can't overeat because then I won't have dinner for the next night.  Try to eat slower.  Really be cognizant of how much you're eating, not just what you're eating.
  • Don't buy excess snacks - I'm watching TV on a Saturday night at 11 PM and a food craving comes along.  What's my best defense?  Not having that bag of chips or carton of ice cream in the house, that's what.  Not saying I never snack at all, but if you don't have a bunch of snacks lying around....you won't snack.
  • Drinking - I drink a ton of water.  All day.  Black coffee in the mornings along with the water.  Beer/alcohol is a vice and I will drink a fair bit during the week which I should probably cut to an extent.  It is extremely rare that I drink anything other than water, black coffee, or beer.  Cutting pop out of my diet was very difficult and I was only a ~12 oz/day guy.
Honestly, I've been battling some sports injuries in these past few months (see my shoulder surgery thread), and by just following these basics above I haven't gained any weight during this time despite getting very little exercise - I've actually lost some, but I suspect that's some muscle loss that I'll have to rebuild once I'm back to normal.  

I wish everyone trying to lose weight and become healthier the best in their journey.  There is no one-size-fits-all magic diet.  Try to be smart and you'll be alright....probably.

I read labels for everything.  I'm constantly looking at how many carbs things have and how many grams of sugar.  It is crazy how much sugar there is in things.  It is hard to find bread that has 2g or less of sugar per serving!!  I started making my own bread before I went on the keto diet and stopped eating any bread at all.  But even things like spaghetti sauce has some crazy sugar amounts.  It can vary from 2 - 3g to 8 - 9g for the same type (marinara, etc) between brands.

I read labels for everything.  I'm constantly looking at how many carbs things have and how many grams of sugar.  It is crazy how much sugar there is in things.  It is hard to find bread that has 2g or less of sugar per serving!!  I started making my own bread before I went on the keto diet and stopped eating any bread at all.  But even things like spaghetti sauce has some crazy sugar amounts.  It can vary from 2 - 3g to 8 - 9g for the same type (marinara, etc) between brands.
Bread was a big eye-opener for me; I do try to bake my own bread when I have the time, actually.  I have found a local brand at Wegmans that has no added sugars as ingredients so I end up buying that for the most part.  I try to limit my bread intake but have found it difficult to do so, actually.  It's a lot more difficult than it sounds. 

Also look at the ingredients.  If it reads like a science experiment = :no:  

Sugar is an important ingredient in breadmaking, otherwise you'd be eating dog biscuits.  Just saying.  

Users who are viewing this thread