What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The first player you think of...... (1 Viewer)

buffalo - thurman thomas

miami - Marino

pats - Brady

jets - Wayne Chrebet

steelers - Randle El*

browns  - jim brown

ravens - ray Lewis

bengals - icky

broncos - Elway

chiefs - Derrick Thomas

raiders - bo 

charger - LT

texans - andre Johnson

colts - Peyton

titans - Mariota

jags - fred taylor

redskins - Theismann

giants - LT

cowboys - Emmit

eagles  - McNabb

bears - walter payton

packers - favre

lions - barry

vikings - adp

saints - sproles*

bucs - Sapp

rams - Chris Everett

panthers - tishiminga biakabatuka

falcons - Jamal Anderson

seahawks - steve largent

49ers - jerry rice

cardinals - Fitz

* Sproles and Randle El were my two favorite non Superstar players

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona Cardinals - St. Louis version >  RB Terry Metcalf

Atlanta Falcons - QB Steve Bartkowski 

Baltimore Ravens - OT Jon Ogden

Buffalo Bills - RB Orenthal 'The Juice' Simpson

Carolina Panthers - QB Cam Newton

Chicago Bears - RB Walter "Sweetness" Payton

Cincinnati Bengals - QB Kenny Anderson

Cleveland Browns - RB Jim Brown

Dallas Cowboys - DT Randy 'The Manster" White

Denver Broncos - LB Randy Gradishar 

Detroit Lions - RB Barry Sanders

Green Bay Packers - QB Brett Farve 

Houston Texans - DE JJ Watt

Indianapolis Colts - Baltimore version > QB Bert Jones 

Jacksonville Jaguars - OT Tony Bosseli 

Kansas City Chiefs - QB Len Dawson

Los Angeles Rams - QB Pat Haden (Only name that needs explanation he was the first QB I liked as a kid)

Miami Dolphins - FB Larry Csonka

Minnesota Vikings - DE Allan Page (one of the famed Purple People Eaters - best group nickname in NFL History IMHO)

New England Patriots - OG John Hanna

New Orleans Saints - QB Archie Manning

New York Giants- LB Lawrence Taylor

New York Jets - QB 'Broadway Willie'-Joe Namath

Oakland Raiders - OG Gene Upshaw

Philadelphia Eagles - QB Ron Jaworski 

Pittsburgh Steelers - LB Jack Lampbert aka Dracula

San Diego Chargers - QB Dan Fouts

San Francisco 49ers - WR Jerry Rice

Seattle Seahawks - QB Jim Zorn

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Ronde Barber 

Tennessee Titans - Houston version > RB Earl 'The Pearl' Cambell

Washington Redskins - FB John Riggins 

The tennis player? :)   I remember Jim Everett blowing up on the Jim Rome show.
Yep.

That's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the Rams. It shouldn't be, Marshall, Warner, Holt and Bruce were awesome. But that was memorable as a kid.

He had his pregnant girlfriend murdered and is in prison.  I believe he may be getting paroled soon.  When I think of the Panthers he's still the first name that comes to mind (excluding Newton).
First time I saw him he was at Missouri blowing by defenders, what a shame he was mentality $%^%.

Incredible quicks off the line.

buffalo - thurman thomas

miami - Marino

pats - Brady

jets - Wayne Chrebet

steelers - Randle El*

browns  - jim brown

ravens - ray Lewis

bengals - icky

broncos - Elway

chiefs - Derrick Thomas

raiders - bo 

charger - LT

texans - andre Johnson

colts - Peyton

titans - Mariota

jags - fred taylor

redskins - Theismann

giants - LT

cowboys - Emmit

eagles  - McNabb

bears - walter payton

packers - favre

lions - barry

vikings - adp

saints - sproles*

bucs - Sapp

rams - Chris Everett

panthers - tishiminga biakabatuka

falcons - Jamal Anderson

seahawks - steve largent

49ers - jerry rice

cardinals - Fitz

* Sproles and Randle El were my two favorite non Superstar players
Props...Was it...Antwone...Randle El?

A QB who returned pints.....cool.

Arizona Cardinals - St. Louis version >  RB Terry Metcalf

Atlanta Falcons - QB Steve Bartkowski 

Baltimore Ravens - OT Jon Ogden

Buffalo Bills - RB Orenthal 'The Juice' Simpson

Carolina Panthers - QB Cam Newton

Chicago Bears - RB Walter "Sweetness" Payton

Cincinnati Bengals - QB Kenny Anderson

Cleveland Browns - RB Jim Brown

Dallas Cowboys - DT Randy 'The Manster" White

Denver Broncos - LB Randy Gradishar 

Detroit Lions - RB Barry Sanders

Green Bay Packers - QB Brett Farve 

Houston Texans - DE JJ Watt

Indianapolis Colts - Baltimore version > QB Bert Jones 

Jacksonville Jaguars - OT Tony Bosseli 

Kansas City Chiefs - QB Len Dawson

Los Angeles Rams - QB Pat Haden (Only name that needs explanation he was the first QB I liked as a kid)

Miami Dolphins - FB Larry Csonka

Minnesota Vikings - DE Allan Page (one of the famed Purple People Eaters - best group nickname in NFL History IMHO)

New England Patriots - OG John Hanna

New Orleans Saints - QB Archie Manning

New York Giants- LB Lawrence Taylor

New York Jets - QB 'Broadway Willie'-Joe Namath

Oakland Raiders - OG Gene Upshaw

Philadelphia Eagles - QB Ron Jaworski 

Pittsburgh Steelers - LB Jack Lampbert aka Dracula

San Diego Chargers - QB Dan Fouts

San Francisco 49ers - WR Jerry Rice

Seattle Seahawks - QB Jim Zorn

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Ronde Barber 

Tennessee Titans - Houston version > RB Earl 'The Pearl' Cambell

Washington Redskins - FB John Riggins 
Props....Terry Metcalf

Him and Willie Galimore probably the two greatest runners pretty much lost in obscurity.

Metcalf was a 25-11 long jumper at Long Beach State, his son Eric an NCAA champ at 27-6....best by anyone who played football.

Looking  at all those lists it hit me that we sure have a lot of teams. 32....32...NFL teams, wow~~~

When I first got into the NFL it looked like this.

West

Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears

Baltimore Colts

San Francisco 49ers

Los Angeles  Rams

Detroit Lions

East

New York Giants

Cleveland Browns

Philadelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington  Redskins

Chicago Cardinals

That was 1959, the following season here came the Dallas Cowboys in the west and the first AFL season. The Vikes showed up in 1961.

AFL

West

Los Angeles Chargers

Dallas Texans

Denver Broncos

Oakland Raiders

East

Boston Patriots

Buffalo Bills

Houston Oilers

New York Titans

The lesser teams the more talent on a team, so a higher quality of football, when you start adding teams now there are guys out there who wouldn't be with 14 teams compared to 32. Imagine a 16 team NFL,  every team would have a quality  QB to begin with.  So many guys  out there today who would have been in the CFL back in the day.

Seriously? 

He might be 4th best player to wear a chargers uniform since 2000. We'll exclude Brees, seau was only there a couple years in the 00s but Rivers still isn't better than LT 
Yes, seriously. Rivers will retire as the best player in Chargers history. The importance of the QB position, and the fact that Rivers has played it at a HOF level for 13 seasons, trumps Tomlinson, who played at a very high level for the Chargers for 7 seasons. I'm fine agreeing to disagree with anyone who doesn't agree.

Yes, seriously. Rivers will retire as the best player in Chargers history. The importance of the QB position, and the fact that Rivers has played it at a HOF level for 13 seasons, trumps Tomlinson, who played at a very high level for the Chargers for 7 seasons. I'm fine agreeing to disagree with anyone who doesn't agree.
No Charger ever made the impact on the game like WR Lance Alworth did.  He was widely considered the one AFLer superior to the NFLers. And was the first AFL player to be inducted into the HOF.

Wiki

In 1999, he was ranked number 31 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranking Charger and the highest-ranking player to have spent more than one season in the AFL.

In 2014, he was inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame.[15]

NFL records

Most games with 200+ receiving yards: 5 (tied with Calvin Johnson)

Most touchdown receptions, 70+ yards, career: 12

Most consecutive seasons, 11+ TD receptions: 4 (1963–1966; tied with Marvin Harrison, 1999–2002; Art Powell, 1963–1966)

Most consecutive seasons, 12+ TD receptions: 3, (1964–1966; tied with Jerry Rice, 1989–1991 and 1993–1995; Marvin Harrison, 1999–2001 and 2004–2006; Terrell Owens, 2000–2002; Cris Carter, 1997–1999)

Most consecutive seasons, 13+ TD receptions: 3, (1964–1966; tied with Jerry Rice, 1989–1991 and 1993–1995; Terrell Owens, 2000–2002)

Alworth is one of the greatest players of all time and easily the greatest Charger.  I don't think anyone will mention Rivers in any all time great discussion, either NFL or Chargers.

Borderline HOF. while LT was a first ballot, unquestioned Hall of famer.  

I'm not even sure if he's better than Fouts. 

Borderline HOF. while LT was a first ballot, unquestioned Hall of famer.  

I'm not even sure if he's better than Fouts. 
Since Fouts never won a SB either we can pretty much just go with numbers.

Rivers is number 6 all time TD passes,  Fouts.....20

Yards,  Rivers...at 9 Fouts....15,

As we know Fouts had what might have been the best gang of receivers ever in HOFer  Charlie Joiner/Kellon Winslow and the fantastic John Jefferson and Wes Chandler later on.  But still has inferior stats.

Since Fouts never won a SB either we can pretty much just go with numbers.

Rivers is number 6 all time TD passes,  Fouts.....20

Yards,  Rivers...at 9 Fouts....15,

As we know Fouts had what might have been the best gang of receivers ever in HOFer  Charlie Joiner/Kellon Winslow and the fantastic John Jefferson and Wes Chandler later on.  But still has inferior stats.
Different era now than back then, even with air Coryell.  If I had to bet my life on one game I would pick Fouts over Rivers.

Different era now than back then, even with air Coryell.  If I had to bet my life on one game I would pick Fouts over Rivers.
I get the era thing but this is just too dramatic.

Fouts

Comp%...58.8

TD/INT....254/242

QB rating...80.2

Rivers

374/178

I really do hate to keep playing this....well back in  day....sheesh~~~ But.....saw Fouts at Oregon and a TON of his Charger games, he was great but he wasn't the passer that Philip Rivers is in any era.

I'd have to go with Rivers, and hate to because I like Fouts better.

Fouts

Comp%...58.8

TD/INT....254/242

QB rating...80.2

Rivers

374/178

I really do hate to keep playing this....well back in  day....sheesh~~~ But.....saw Fouts at Oregon and a TON of his Charger games, he was great but he wasn't the passer that Philip Rivers is in any era.

I’m with you. And a random pet peeve tangent (as a Raiders fan) there was that old Miller Lite commercial with Fouts and Stabler where Fouts was somehow spouting some stat where he kept saying he was better than Stabler. The commercial had Stabler playing the humble loser when he should’ve just said “Scoreboard!” With his Super Bowl win and many years of Raiders dominance. Fouts....sure. Aired it out and all. But did Fouts ever really win anything? 

I’m with you. And a random pet peeve tangent (as a Raiders fan) there was that old Miller Lite commercial with Fouts and Stabler where Fouts was somehow spouting some stat where he kept saying he was better than Stabler. The commercial had Stabler playing the humble loser when he should’ve just said “Scoreboard!” With his Super Bowl win and many years of Raiders dominance. Fouts....sure. Aired it out and all. But did Fouts ever really win anything? 
Has Rivers?  He’s been to the playoffs once since 2009.  One is 4-5 in the playoffs and the other 3-4.

I like Fouts and Stabler and won't do anything but praise both of them. Hated to argue Rivers over Fouts,  didn't like it.

Joey, how far back do you go with your Raiders?
Stabler is the start for me and I was 10 when they beat the Vikings in the SB in 77. So Stabler, Casper, Branch, Hayes where the first Raiders I knew about. 

Fouts

Comp%...58.8

TD/INT....254/242

QB rating...80.2

Rivers

374/178

It's really hard to compare eras, but while Rivers has led the league in a major statistical category 3x (yards once, TDS once, completion percentage once) and INTs twice, Fouts led 7 times, never in INTs.  That's not definitive, but like I said before, "I'm not even sure if he's better than Fouts."  Honestly, I don't think he is but it's not clear either way.

It's really hard to compare eras, but while Rivers has led the league in a major statistical category 3x (yards once, TDS once, completion percentage once) and INTs twice, Fouts led 7 times, never in INTs.  That's not definitive, but like I said before, "I'm not even sure if he's better than Fouts."  Honestly, I don't think he is but it's not clear either way.
The era thing is funky because the fact any QB today is facing far superior defensive athetes gets ignored. Pass rushers so much quicker off the edge than 20, 30 years ago.

I guess the best thing to do is simply don't go there. 

The era thing is funky because the fact any QB today is facing far superior defensive athetes gets ignored. Pass rushers so much quicker off the edge than 20, 30 years ago.

I guess the best thing to do is simply don't go there. 
Then again 20 or 30 years ago QBs didn’t wear dresses and the defense could kill them and their receivers.

Then again 20 or 30 years ago QBs didn’t wear dresses and the defense could kill them and their receivers.
So what just bring in back ups, bottom line is the speed of the game today, that size with speed thing on a whole other level in today's game. 

Look at Alabama, Clemson, big fast bad bad dudes coming at ya in waves.  That is todays football.

So what just bring in back ups, bottom line is the speed of the game today, that size with speed thing on a whole other level in today's game. 

Look at Alabama, Clemson, big fast bad bad dudes coming at ya in waves.  That is todays football.
Today’s rules favor the offense 

Today’s rules favor the offense 
I get it all bro,  I also get watching HS football games with lines averaging 280 a man, some bigger.  Every back out there can run a 4.4.

Things are different today with the athletes out there. That is why we see so many mobile QB;s today, they have to be.

ARZ - Larry Fitzgerald

ATL - Deion Sanders

BAL - Ray Lewis

BUF - OJ Simpson

CAR - Kerry Collins

CHI - Walter Payton

CIN - Kenny Anderson

CLE - Webster Slaughter

DAL - Roger Stauback

DEN - Steve Atwater

DET - Barry Sanders

GBP - Brett Favre

HOU - Andre Johnson

IND - Peyton Manning

JAX - Mark Brunell

KCC - Derrick Thomas

LAR - Eric Dickerson

LAC - Kellen Winslow

MIA - Dan Marino

MIN - Chuck Foreman

NEP - Tom Brady

NOS - Archie Manning

NYG - Lawrence Taylor

NYJ - Joe Nameth

OAK - Fred Biletnikoff

PHI - Reggie White

PIT - Jack Lambert

SFF - Dwight Clark

SEA - Curt Warner

TBB - Lee Roy Selmon

TEN - Eddie George

WAS - John Riggins

ARZ - Larry Fitzgerald

ATL - Deion Sanders

BAL - Ray Lewis

BUF - OJ Simpson

CAR - Kerry Collins

CHI - Walter Payton

CIN - Kenny Anderson

CLE - Webster Slaughter

DAL - Roger Stauback

DEN - Steve Atwater

DET - Barry Sanders

GBP - Brett Favre

HOU - Andre Johnson

IND - Peyton Manning

JAX - Mark Brunell

KCC - Derrick Thomas

LAR - Eric Dickerson

LAC - Kellen Winslow

MIA - Dan Marino

MIN - Chuck Foreman

NEP - Tom Brady

NOS - Archie Manning

NYG - Lawrence Taylor

NYJ - Joe Nameth

OAK - Fred Biletnikoff

PHI - Reggie White

PIT - Jack Lambert

SFF - Dwight Clark

SEA - Curt Warner

TBB - Lee Roy Selmon

TEN - Eddie George

WAS - John Riggins
Webster Slaughter....love it~~~~~

Saw him at San Diego State.

I like this thread. As soon as I read the OP's general idea I stopped reading and wrote mine down as to not be influenced by others. Going back afterwards and reading through this thread I am kind of surprised at many of the similar responses.

I like this thread. As soon as I read the OP's general idea I stopped reading and wrote mine down as to not be influenced by others. Going back afterwards and reading through this thread I am kind of surprised at many of the similar responses.
Surprised as the lesser knowns in some cases we see here.

Users who are viewing this thread