What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Frauds Of 2005 (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
For many folks, the fantasy season will be over after tonight's game. So here's one fan's look at the players who many fantasy owners had high hopes for in 2005 or those who showed brief moments of promise only to fizzle out when the season mattered most.

So here goes:

QUARTERBACKS

Daunte Culpepper (Min.): A top 3 QB pick in most drafts, Culpepper struggled early and was often downright miserable before his season-ending knee injury. He likely destroyed plenty of fantasy seasons in the process.

Brett Favre (GB): He'd been as dependable a fantasy option as you could hope for at QB, but in what may be his final season he's having easily the worst season of his starting career and his production in the last month has been nothing short of putrid. He hasn't been helped by massive injuries on offense or a lack of talent on defense but a lot of the Packers' problems this season fall squarely on the shoulders of No. 4.

Kerry Collins (Oak.): A lot of folks thought Randy Moss would make Collins great. Instead, he looked just like Kerry Collins. Those of us who have suffered through Collins in the past are entitled to say, "We told you so."

RUNNING BACKS

Kevin Jones (Det.): The Kevan Barlow of 2005. Nuff said.

Willis McGahee (Buf.): If it weren't for Jones, McGahee would easily have been this year's biggest bust. He turned into an absolute dog the last half of the season and things were so bad that Shaud Williams was outrushing him for a few games. I lost count of the number of times he failed to score inside the 5 against the Bengals. The guy has no heart.

Deuce McAllister (NO): Sure he got hurt, but he wasn't looking all that good before his season-ending knee injury.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Randy Moss (Min.): Yeah he's hurt but his effort -- never one of his strong suits to begin with -- has been deplorable as the season has gone one. Fantasy owners likely stuck with him far too long because he's Randy Moss. And it's possible he dragged a lot of fantasy seasons into the toilet before his owners finally gave up on and sat his a** on the bench. He's been so disappointing this season he may end up being a value pick in 2006.

Joe Horn (NO): He got hurt early but after getting healthy he looked more like Robert Ferguson than a former Pro Bowler and was surpassed by Donte Stallworth as the Saints' best WR. Horn has spent the last several weeks looking washed up. In a year which saw so many Top 20 WRs flame out for one reason or another, Horn's fall from the grace was the most shocking.

Drew Bennett (Ten.): Yet another example of a WR who thrived as the No. 2 in his offense but flopped in the go-to role. You paying attention to that, Reggie Wayne?

Nate Burleson (Min.): He looked so good replacing Moss as the Vikings' go-to WR last season, but he got hurt early this year and never got untracked and you could make a case he is no better than the team's fourth-best WR right now.

Michael Clayton (TB): From now on, the phrase "Sophomore Slump" may be re-named "The Clayton Effect."

TIGHT ENDS

Tony Gonzalez (KC): The receptions and yardage were fine but 2 TDs after 15 games? That sure wasn't what people were expecting when they used an early-round pick on Gonzo.

KICKERS

Adam Vinatieri (NE): He's still the guy I'd want kicking a game winner but his fantasy owners weren't doing a lot of celebrating this year watching him post a career-low FGs made. Given how he was probably one of the top kickers off the board his season can only be described as a bust.

DEFENSES

Minnesota: The tease of 2005. A lot of people bought into the hype that the Vikings would be a vastly improved defense. They started off playing poorly but then had an incredible mini-run that raised a lot of hopes and generated a lot of fantasy buzz. But then with the team's season on the line they failed to step up at home against Pittsburgh and got blasted by Kyle Boller in Baltimore. That's not how great defenses, or even good ones, finish the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great list. Here's some others -- some stars who failed, some who just didn't step up -- who are also frauds: - Aaron Brooks, NO - Lee Suggs, CLE - JJ Arrington, ARZ --- he was a 3rd round pick in my league! BWAHAHAHA! - Jamal lewis, BAL - Ahman Green, GB -- sucked before his injury - Keary Colbert, CAR - Nate Burleson, MIN -- another high fantasy pick - Antwaan Randle El, PIT - Andre Johnson, HOU - Laveranues Coles, NYJ - Pats D

How can this list be complete without Duante Culpepper? He was, quite possibly, the biggest fraud around this season.

How can this list be complete without Duante Culpepper? He was, quite possibly, the biggest fraud around this season.
Yup, that was a huge oversight on my part. Thanks for pointing that out. I've added Culpepper to the list.

I would add Julius Jones to that list. He was a late first/early second and never got on track.For Priest Holmes draft spot, some would consider him a bust.

Though I didn't have them, I would have to say Buffalo's defense could be added to this list considering where they ended up, and the preseason hype.

Joe Horn (NO): He got hurt early but after getting healthy he looked more like Robert Ferguson than a former Pro Bowler and was surpassed by Donte Stallworth as the Saints' best WR. Horn has spent the last several weeks looking washed up. In a year which saw so many Top 20 WRs flame out for one reason or another, Horn's fall from the grace was the most shocking.
Just a note on Horn. I had him in 2 leagues & agreed that he seems to have lost it after coming back from his injury. Went to the Saints/Lion game on Christmas Eve & was truly impressed by him. He is clearly still not healthy, as he was limping off the field every few plays. Anytime he was sent downfield more than 15 or so yards, he was pulling up lame. There were 3 or 4 times in the second half that I really thought he wouldn't be coming back in. Very gutsy performance & you could tell his teammates knew he was hurting. He was off my radar for next season, but after seeing the game, I think he has real sleeper value.

Good list. Mine would be:

QB

Cpep

Collins

Favre

Harrington

RB

K.Jones

Barlow

McGahee

T.Bell

J.Jones

C.Martin (How in the world has nobody mentioned him yet?!?!?!)

WR

Moss

TO

Branch

Burelson

Colbert

Clayton

Coles (yet again)

Moulds (yet again)

Lelie

Anyone in Det.

TE

Gonzo

Troupe

Clark

I really need to pay more attention to the dissenting opinions on this site before next season. Saying Barlow 2004 = KJones 2005 is salt in my wounds, as I drafted BArlow in 2004 and Kjones in 2005. :sadbanana:And another vote for Andre Johnson. I don't think I'll ever own that guy again. I kept him last year over Steve Smith. :cry:

And another vote for Andre Johnson. I don't think I'll ever own that guy again. I kept him last year over Steve Smith. :cry:
Johnson at least is finishing on a positive note. He's had five games with 6 receptions or more in the last eight games with two games over 100 yards and four games with 70 yards or more. He's at least showing something down the stretch (and he obviously was a monster this week for anyone who started him).To the above comments about Julius Jones, he would definitely on the list as well. I would disagree about Tatum Bell because by the time the season was about to get started it was pretty clear he was falling down the rankings and was no longer considered a top fantasy RB pick. As far as Curtis Martin, he had a disappointing season but I don't think anyone realistically expected him to duplicate what he did last season.

Johnson at least is finishing on a positive note. He's had five games with 6 receptions or more in the last eight games with two games over 100 yards and four games with 70 yards or more. He's at least showing something down the stretch (and he obviously was a monster this week for anyone who started him).
He is just doing this to put doubt in my head when it comes time for the draft next year....i can see it now....what about Andre Johnson? freak of an athlete, maybe he turned the corner late last year? blah blah blah?nope F it....I am not touching .....nope.

Johnson at least is finishing on a positive note. He's had five games with 6 receptions or more in the last eight games with two games over 100 yards and four games with 70 yards or more. He's at least showing something down the stretch (and he obviously was a monster this week for anyone who started him).
He is just doing this to put doubt in my head when it comes time for the draft next year....i can see it now....what about Andre Johnson? freak of an athlete, maybe he turned the corner late last year? blah blah blah?

nope F it....I am not touching .....nope.
I won't target him high as long as Carr is still there. But if Johnson drops to WR3 range I'll definitely target him. I can't see ranking him among the Top 25 WRs at this time so I don't see how he would be a viable WR2 option for 2006 right now.

The list is good, so don't take this as an insult, but the more important question here is what players are frauds now.

Without question the 2 biggest busts have to be Culpepper and Tatum Bell. I'm sorry, but wasn't Taint on damn near every cover of FF mags? About as big a bust as they come. Also, for the dumbasses that took Peyton number 1 overall, he has to be considered a bust as well. He's done good, but not the number 1 overall player by any means.

The list is good, so don't take this as an insult, but the more important question here is what players are frauds now.
Looking ahead to 2006 or just for Week 17?
2006, not many of us care about week 17.Probably another post, but perhaps the question to be addressed here is which of these "frauds of 2005" will rebound?

My opinion:

QUARTERBACKS

Daunte Culpepper will rebound, but not early in 2006. He will be good value for new dynasty leagues, but I won't touch him before very late in a redraft.

RUNNING BACKS

Kevin Jones with a good coach will rebound, but not as high as before.

Willis McGahee has heart issues, but with an improved offense around him, he can still be a top 5 in non-PPR leagues. A late 2nd round pick in redrafts, maybe late 1st in dynasty.

I won't take Deuce McAllister in redrafts except as a flier pick. Dynasty... I don't know.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Randy Moss is still a top 3 WR

Joe Horn is still a top 20 in redrafts, but has lost a step IMO.

Drew Bennett is overrated.

Nate Burleson overrated, but still might be a good #2.

I still like Michael Clayton, now is the time to buy.

TIGHT ENDS

Tony Gonzalez has lost a step, but is still the #2 in redrafts.

Willis McGahee (Buf.): If it weren't for Jones, McGahee would easily have been this year's biggest bust. He turned into an absolute dog the last half of the season and things were so bad that Shaud Williams was outrushing him for a few games. I lost count of the number of times he failed to score inside the 5 against the Bengals. The guy has no heart.
Of course he has heart... remember when he cried like a little girl in college?? :lol:

My opinion:

QUARTERBACKS

Daunte Culpepper will rebound, but not early in 2006. He will be good value for new dynasty leagues, but I won't touch him before very late in a redraft.
Hard to go anywhere near him until late until we get a clearer picture of his health status heading into the 2006 season. If he misses half the season or more, he can't be targeted until late.
RUNNING BACKS

Kevin Jones with a good coach will rebound, but not as high as before.
Given the rumors I've heard about his lack of dedication (he really is this year's Kevan Barlow) I won't touch him as anything more than a RB3 and not before the fourth round. The durability issues alone will prevent me from ranking him much higher than the low 20s at best.
Willis McGahee has heart issues, but with an improved offense around him, he can still be a top 5 in non-PPR leagues. A late 2nd round pick in redrafts, maybe late 1st in dynasty.
The guy has become a certified p***y. Watching him fall down near the goal line on Saturday was pathetic. I will probably rank him nowhere better than the low to mid 20s among RBs and quite honestly I don't want him anywhere near my roster next season. The stench of his 2005 season will take at least a year to wear off.
I won't take Deuce McAllister in redrafts except as a flier pick. Dynasty... I don't know.
I don't want him either. I'll take him if the value's right but given how I wouldn't want him as anything other than a RB3 in non-PPR leagues I doubt he'll be on my roster next season. Which is perfectly fine.
WIDE RECEIVERS

Not on my rankings right now. I'd take CJ, Holt, Harrison, Smith, both of the Arizona WRs and maybe TO ahead of him.
Joe Horn is still a top 20 in redrafts, but has lost a step IMO.
It'll take a lot for him to crack the Top 40 WRs on my list looking ahead to next season. At best, he'll be in the 35-38 range. Stallworth has clearly emerged as the Saints' best WR and there will be a number of other players I believe will be better producers than Horn.
Drew Bennett is overrated.
Agreed. I didn't like him at all heading into this season. He never worked well with McNair and the move to No. 1 doesn't tend to go very well. There were far too many negatives associated with Bennett this season. Plus we now know Chow's offense doesn't feature the WR much so there's no reason to consider Bennett or any other Titan WR until very late next year.
Nate Burleson overrated, but still might be a good #2.
I like him. I think he's a genuine talent. He made an incredible catch near the goal line last night. But the Vikings' WR situation is a mess and there's no way to know if he'll emerge from the crowd. If he does, I would definitely consider him because I like the upside.
I still like Michael Clayton, now is the time to buy.
He shocked me with his poor season. I like him a lot too and am not ready to give up on him. He should be a great value pick next season.
TIGHT ENDS

Tony Gonzalez has lost a step, but is still the #2 in redrafts.
Possibly. Heap has outproduced him and guys like Shockey, Witten, Crumpler and Cooley are strong options as well. So is L.J. Smith with a healthy McNabb. I could see Gonzo slipping to the 4-5 range among TEs next season.

TOTOTOTOThat fat slow kid who played a year at Ohio StateThe Cardinals, I kept hearing sleeper pick yto make playoffsDeion is not prime time, more like every once in a while.Tommy Maddox was on several rosters as protection, WOW, he sucksIf you are gonna pick Culp, move over and make some room for PenningtonCards runningbacks, still waiting for that elusive 100 yard game

WIDE RECEIVERS

Based on what? Moss ranked 24th this year in WR ppg and was not that great after his injury last year either. He might be a Top 3 NFL talent at WR, but I wouldn't want to draft him as a Top 3 fantasy WR.

When I saw "Frauds of 2005," I thought this thread would be about guys who were great this year, but were going to have poorer seasons next year. That might be a good thread too.

No doubt there are many good candidates to fit this thread but none meet the criteria better than TO. Without question he is the biggest fraud out there. With football being the ultimate "team" sport and he being the "individual" anti-team player you knew it had to explode sometime. But without question TO=FRAUD. :hot:

Kind of random addition:Mewelde Moore.Sure, he wasn't a top 20 back or anything but I targeted (and rostered) him in all 3 leagues I was in this year at about the 9th round or so. I was sure he'd displace Bennett as the starter by week 4 or so.Sure, my gut was basically correct about him...he did end up starting...but he was eitheron my bench as my 3rd RB when he put up a big game, or he was in my starting lineupwhen he stunk up the joint, or he started and was replaced and outplayed by Bennett.Then his heart was questioned by his coach and he was bascially benched. Ouch. Talk aboutnot taking advantage of his opportunities...I know he wasn't a top round pick, and maybe he's not meant for this thread, but I thought he was "Shark Move" (I hate that phrase) to grab a starting RB in the 9th round. In retrospect, he ended up causing me more trouble than it was worth.

RUNNING BACKS

Deuce McAllister (NO): Sure he got hurt, but he wasn't looking all that good before his season-ending knee injury.
He was on pace for 1,446 total yards and 9.3 touchdowns. That's not too shabby.

RUNNING BACKS

This is where the numbers don't tell the whole story. He was only on pace for slightly more than 1,000 yards which for someone who likely was drafted in the first round isn't very good at all. The 10 TDs would've been nice but keep in mind 2 of 3 came in one game. Plus, he only had one 100-yard game before getting hurt and that happened to be the only game where he rushed for more than 64 yards. He was looking real sluggish before the injury.

RUNNING BACKS

This is where the numbers don't tell the whole story. He was only on pace for slightly more than 1,000 yards which for someone who likely was drafted in the first round isn't very good at all. The 10 TDs would've been nice but keep in mind 2 of 3 came in one game. Plus, he only had one 100-yard game before getting hurt and that happened to be the only game where he rushed for more than 64 yards. He was looking real sluggish before the injury.
To pile on a bit, Deuce was only averaging 3.6 yards per carry, by far the worst of his career. In addition, only one of his 93 carries went for more than 20 yards. I was not impressed at all with Deuce ... his burst, his explosion, his elusiveness, ... not much stood out as you would expect for a "stud rb".

When I saw "Frauds of 2005," I thought this thread would be about guys who were great this year, but were going to have poorer seasons next year. That might be a good thread too.
Agreed. Galloway and Mike Anderson are just a couple of guys that come to mind....

I was actually pissed when JJ Arrington went 2.10 in a 12 team redraft. I was FORCED to take Tiki at 2.12.P.S. I won my league

WIDE RECEIVERS

Based on what? Moss ranked 24th this year in WR ppg and was not that great after his injury last year either. He might be a Top 3 NFL talent at WR, but I wouldn't want to draft him as a Top 3 fantasy WR.
I'm assuming a new QB and coach that tries to utilize the guy, plus staying healthy.

No doubt there are many good candidates to fit this thread but none meet the criteria better than TO. Without question he is the biggest fraud out there. With football being the ultimate "team" sport and he being the "individual" anti-team player you knew it had to explode sometime. But without question TO=FRAUD. :hot:
He isn't a fraud. We knew what we were getting with TO. Anyone who acquired him did so knowing the risk, or ignoring the signs. This includes the Eagles.

Of course he has heart... remember when he cried like a little girl in college?? :lol:
Yeah, men don't cry.

He isn't a fraud. We knew what we were getting with TO. Anyone who acquired him did so knowing the risk, or ignoring the signs. This includes the Eagles.
You are correct. The Eagles knew the risks. That's why they did the contract they did.

Yeah, men don't cry.
Are you talking about when he had every single ligament, cartilage, etc. in his knee ripped apart from the rest of his body? That was one of the nastiest hits I've ever seen. Everyone on this board would cry like a ##### if that happened to them.

Over the last eight games, Andre Johnson was on a 100 reception, 1,200 yard pace. Came up big in playoff time too. Not bad for the mess that is Houston. If you were patient, he paid off. Same for New England's D - came up big when you needed them.I'll nominate some receivers: Keary Cobert and Michael Clayton (ouch).

Without question the 2 biggest busts have to be Culpepper and Tatum Bell. I'm sorry, but wasn't Taint on damn near every cover of FF mags? About as big a bust as they come. Also, for the dumbasses that took Peyton number 1 overall, he has to be considered a bust as well. He's done good, but not the number 1 overall player by any means.
:goodposting: mannings #'s were down considerably..

Users who are viewing this thread