What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Insomniac's Sleepers Week 9...Zzzzzz (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
QB: Justin Fields
-Miami is not good at stopping the pass, they've been riddled with injuries including their starting safety Brandon Jones and the Nickleback Nick Needham are gone for the season. There's a reason they panicked and traded their 1st in '23 for Chubb. I think Chicago has a chance to win this football game and be the team to step up and try to push the Vikings in the North. I think Fields will do well vs Miami, his numbers have been increasing for the last 3-4 weeks and they added Claypool which should team up well with Mooney and St Brown to make a decent trio for him to throw to.

RB: Deon Jackson
-Taylor hasn't practiced this week and his status is looking doubtful. Jackson is the sole back up with Hines gone, you could do worse than having this guy on your bench ready to roll on Sunday.

TE: Gerald Everett
-Mike Williams is out, Kennan Allen isn't being super hyped and Everett has quietly filled in as the No 2 guy in targets, receptions, yds, I might even flex him this week with teams like SF and Dallas on a Bye, so many skill guys are unavailable this weekend.

Post any sleepers you wish to discuss. I get more hits, posts and feedback in this topic than I do sometimes on lengthy exploit and avoids and there is a cross over here that i like and allows me to tap right into the roots and pulse of the hot topics for the week. I will try and post back and discuss whoever is on your mind.

Other sleepers i like or at least would keep an eye on include Jeff Wilson and Chase Edmonds, no accident these guys switched or changed jersey colors this week, track history pretty good on both of them when they are actually on the field, would try and grab one of them for the end of your bench. Denver seems ripe for a 2nd Half takeover and Miami needs to run the ball more especially when they have a lead.

Cheers!

Last edited:
RB Nyheim Hines, Buffalo Bills
-Just repeat those words as you flex this guy out of necessity this weekend.
-I don't know that he's going to be an immediate hit, I just know what he does matches well with what they need right now.
-Who is truly the No 2 option is the passing game? OK, No 3?
You see my point though, there's room in this offense for more.

Last edited:
For teams in deep leagues, that may have injury/bye issues, I think Terrace Marshall could be interesting. He's been the #2 in the Panthers passing game since Anderson was dealt, and he is a 22 y/o 2nd round pick who was considered a rawer prospect. With the Bengals down Awuzie and Hilton at CB, its possible Marshall stands to benefit. He had 87 yards on 9 targets last week.

Kadarius Toney might also be worth a look for the desperate. No doubt Reid has drawn up a few plays for him, and I think he could have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Nothing stanfing in his way to be the #2 WR on that team, possibly even this week if things break right.

A not as deep sleeper I like this week is Robert Tonyan. Lions are garbage against TEs, and are really bad against PA passes.

Lastly, assuming he looks like he's playing, and its tough since he plays Monday, I think Jarvis Landry could be a very interesting sleeper, with Thomas on IR. He fits a lot of what Dalton does as a passer, and they certainly have room for someone to step up behind Olave.

When does Fields stop being a sleeper?
Excellent question, he had his highest total last week but in most 10-12 team formats, he just doesn't have the sizzle to be inserted most weeks over a lot of other names.
He wasn't drafted in a lot of redrafts this year, he's worked his way off the waiver wire.
Bye weeks force you to look at him and he was one of the few remaining names I saw this week I had an interest in.
I cut Lawrence for Fields in several leagues this week just as a barometer of where I am at. Fields is my Bye Week filler vs Detroit when Joe Burrow is off. Also Burrow didn't do as well without his right hand man, Chase. I like to keep my options open, long season.

Thanks 92

Excellent question, he had his highest total last week but in most 10-12 team formats, he just doesn't have the sizzle to be inserted most weeks over a lot of other names.
He wasn't drafted in a lot of redrafts this year, he's worked his way off the waiver wire.
Bye weeks force you to look at him and he was one of the few remaining names I saw this week I had an interest in.
I cut Lawrence for Fields in several leagues this week just as a barometer of where I am at. Fields is my Bye Week filler vs Detroit when Joe Burrow is off. Also Burrow didn't do as well without his right hand man, Chase. I like to keep my options open, long season.

Thanks 92

He caught my eye a few weeks ago during one of those Prime Time games. Can't remember which one off the top of my head. I made him a priority pick up last week before the Dallas game, and now I have made the decision to insert him in to my starting line-up over Lamar for the next 5 games (we'll see if that lasts). I'll need to ignore the weekly rankings and not get persuaded by the nerds :-)

If Minnesota were to jump out to an early lead over the pitiful 4-4 team in Washington, you could see Mattison have a decent day just picking up some garbage time for the Vikings and resting Cook which would be wise on their part.

Demarcus Robinson

-Bateman OUT
-Andrews is iffy and banged up right now
-Duverney is exciting but he doesn't typically get 8-10 targets even when he is making big plays.

I see DRob in line for another 7-8+ targets and against the Saints on MNF, you could see him find pay dirt once and that's all you're looking for here.
6/64 last week, Likely was the star and looked good but he's a rookie and consistency plays a role. Duv will get his but I see DRob as a potential bye week/1 week filler.

Keenan Allen is ruled out on top of Mike Williams?
Josh Palmer cannot do it all himself and perhaps without someone opposite to draw the better coverage, could be a trap.
Chargers play the suddenly upstart Falcons trying to improve on their 4-4 record and hold on to1st Place.
Carter does not impress me but he's likely to see significant snaps.

Maybe a deep deep sleeper but Cam Akers. Practiced the last couple of days and the Rams now have their assistant head coach helping with the RBs. He served as their RB coach the last 2 years before being promoted this year. Obviously has a history with Akers and no one else has taken a hold of the job.

MVS vs really porous Titans pass defense. Big games 2 of the last 3 weeks. Of course the middle game was a 0 pt clunker. I like his chances to have a big game.

I'm looking at these 3 sleepers as a necessary week 9 flex play
Chase Claypool - seemed to be successful whenever targeted in pittsburg, "open when he wasn't open", but he must have been in the doghouse for some reason. reportedly only going to see 30-60% of the snaps this week. RoS usage could be significant as he represents the quality big possession receiver and red zone threat that the Bears haven't had.
Demarcus Robinson - if he gets another 8 targets, he's probably due for a TD. But Duvernay, Likely, and Jackson cloud the picture.
Rashid Shaheed - He's nearly 2 full years out from ACL repair, and he looks explosive on very few touches. In 9, 10, and 15 snaps over the last 3 weeks, he has 135 total yards from scrimmage and 2TDs. That's a rate of 37.5 standard fantasy points per 50 snaps. It could be spurious, but his 3 explosive plays in the past 3 weeks highlight his elite game speed and an ability to string together multiple cuts in traffice to elude several defenders. He could be special - maybe even a season changer. He might also not get a touch on offense in any given week, or for the rest of the season.

I think I'm rolling the dice on Rashid this week if Landry is out. Otherwise, Robinson.

If still available, might be the last chance to take a one week potentially high reward flyer. Najee Harris doesn't look explosive, and advanced stats say he's not efficient (-15% dvoa). Warren looks explosive, and advanced stats say he is effiicient (+15% DVOA). Pittsburg coaches are not ignorant of advanced stats, and a bye week is a good time to elevate Warren to the starting position.

If still available, might be the last chance to take a one week potentially high reward flyer. Najee Harris doesn't look explosive, and advanced stats say he's not efficient (-15% dvoa). Warren looks explosive, and advanced stats say he is effiicient (+15% DVOA). Pittsburg coaches are not ignorant of advanced stats, and a bye week is a good time to elevate Warren to the starting position.
Warren may get more touches, but he won’t supplant Harris. That’s just not the way Tomlin and the team rolls.

Kalif Raymond last 4:

snaps: 51%-85%-90%-90%
routes run: 26-38-28-36
Tgt %: 19.2-18.4-21.4-11.1
Production: 3-38, 5-45, 5-75, 3-76
22 targets (at least 4 each g), 2 RZ looks In 10
5 receptions over 20, 1 over 40

Cephus, Chark, Williams on IR, Reynolds DNP Thu/Fri (doubtful), Hock traded, Wright was a red jersey LP all week (he’s fine but Tua protocols)

ARSB will see the lions share, other WRs who may dress (Kennedy, Alexander, Zylstra) are all practice squad call ups

Raymond is their best deep threat (4-101-1 vs Packers last year) and he’s started 15 games the last two seasons - Goff trusts him.

Aside - of the 75 Holy Cross Crusaders who have played in the NFL, he’s the only one who is am active player. Know that because Bill Belichick brought it up in a presser a few weeks back lol.

I'm looking at these 3 sleepers as a necessary week 9 flex play
Chase Claypool - seemed to be successful whenever targeted in pittsburg, "open when he wasn't open", but he must have been in the doghouse for some reason. reportedly only going to see 30-60% of the snaps this week. RoS usage could be significant as he represents the quality big possession receiver and red zone threat that the Bears haven't had.
Demarcus Robinson - if he gets another 8 targets, he's probably due for a TD. But Duvernay, Likely, and Jackson cloud the picture.
Rashid Shaheed - He's nearly 2 full years out from ACL repair, and he looks explosive on very few touches. In 9, 10, and 15 snaps over the last 3 weeks, he has 135 total yards from scrimmage and 2TDs. That's a rate of 37.5 standard fantasy points per 50 snaps. It could be spurious, but his 3 explosive plays in the past 3 weeks highlight his elite game speed and an ability to string together multiple cuts in traffice to elude several defenders. He could be special - maybe even a season changer. He might also not get a touch on offense in any given week, or for the rest of the season.

I think I'm rolling the dice on Rashid this week if Landry is out. Otherwise, Robinson.

Like DRob vs the Saints

A general statement but it will be when he has a legit passing game or two to go along with what he is starting to do on the ground...he still only has passed more than 22 times in a game once...he is staring to knock on the door, no doubt about that but there needs to be more coming from his arm.

Last edited:
Caleb Huntley may be of some value if Patterson gets held out tomorrow in favor of Thursday's divisional game. Doesn't get action in the passing game but they don't pass all that often, do they

Caleb Huntley may be of some value if Patterson gets held out tomorrow in favor of Thursday's divisional game. Doesn't get action in the passing game but they don't pass all that often, do they
Patterson activated off the IR. So scratch this unless you know something I don't

Patterson activated off the IR. So scratch this unless you know something I don't
I was going to ask if Allgeier was injured since I thought he was filling in.
If Patterson is back they are going to use him, he's like 31+ yrs old, they're not saving him for anything and he figured out a way to carve out some more career at RB.

Indy at NE -4.5 40.5/o

QB: Not a good option all the way around

Deon Jackson is your sleeper or surprise of the week because Taylor is OUT, he's not really a sleeper or a secret at this point.
I don't think he comes close to what he produced in previous outings. Coach Bill is going to make this 2nd year inexperienced QB feel mighty silly. I don't think any of the Indy skill players are terrific options this week. I would think Taylor could have problems in this match up let alone his back up.
I'm sure everyone is starting him who has him rostered, that's my guess.

Rhamondre Stevenson, i would continue to HIT the GAS on him until the Patriots Coaching staff says otherwise. Harris has been coming back from injury and they haven't asked him to carry a huge load, Pats go on a Bye in Week 10, they can limit Harris and get him plenty of rest for 2 weeks after. Now come Week 11 if the Pats are in the Playoff hunt, they are going to split those loads up a lot more, they will want them both fresh for the cold weather stretch.

Thornton the WR from New England is going to be facing who exactly in the secondary? He's a deep sleeper for many but I think he could show up again this week. Jakobi Myers still the man to have there, just think Thornton might find a score if he is going to be starting and getting snaps.

Pats 24...Indy 17 and I feel like the Colts touchdowns will be from guys you won't start like Moe Allie Cox or one of those types.

Indy at NE -4.5 40.5/o

QB: Not a good option all the way around

Deon Jackson is your sleeper or surprise of the week because Taylor is OUT, he's not really a sleeper or a secret at this point.
I don't think he comes close to what he produced in previous outings. Coach Bill is going to make this 2nd year inexperienced QB feel mighty silly. I don't think any of the Indy skill players are terrific options this week. I would think Taylor could have problems in this match up let alone his back up.
I'm sure everyone is starting him who has him rostered, that's my guess.

Rhamondre Stevenson, i would continue to HIT the GAS on him until the Patriots Coaching staff says otherwise. Harris has been coming back from injury and they haven't asked him to carry a huge load, Pats go on a Bye in Week 10, they can limit Harris and get him plenty of rest for 2 weeks after. Now come Week 11 if the Pats are in the Playoff hunt, they are going to split those loads up a lot more, they will want them both fresh for the cold weather stretch.

Thornton the WR from New England is going to be facing who exactly in the secondary? He's a deep sleeper for many but I think he could show up again this week. Jakobi Myers still the man to have there, just think Thornton might find a score if he is going to be starting and getting snaps.

Pats 24...Indy 17 and I feel like the Colts touchdowns will be from guys you won't start like Moe Allie Cox or one of those types.
Phillip Lindsey sleeper. Sam didn't run much last week; they should let that change to beat this Pats team which can't deal with mobile QBs. A Colts D pick 6 renews the calls for Zappemania.

Colts 24 - Pats 20

LA Chargers at Atlanta +3 49.5/u

-How are all these points happening when Allen and Williams are out at WR, Herbert's top 2 weapons to throw to and he has neither one of them.

QB: If you have Herbert then you start him, but some folks have to make a call on Mariota who has been steady but nothing spectacular, still his floor has been about 20 lately.

RB: Is Patterson back? If he's active and off IR then he seems like an easy start for most. Ekeler should have 30 touches tomorrow including 10 catches.

WR: Damiere Byrd seems like a great sleeper tomorrow

Last edited:
Whoever the No 2 is in New England...Thornton?

Stevenson cannot do it all himself, someone else will need to pick up some slack and get some chunks to mov the offense.

Jakobi is the guy and he should have a strong day but if they double cover him and force the Patriots elsewhere, I like the upside.

Thornton had over 20 2-3 weeks ago

I think Thornton will have a game again but hard to predict exactly when though. Its possible that once it happens he does establish himself, waiting patiently but at moment unsure.

Terrace Marshall is my sleeper, he has been getting open and they are looking his way more. Matter of getting him the ball and if he has the hands to make the catch. I think this is a better guy to bet on right now.

I think Thornton will have a game again but hard to predict exactly when though. Its possible that once it happens he does establish himself, waiting patiently but at moment unsure.

Terrace Marshall is my sleeper, he has been getting open and they are looking his way more. Matter of getting him the ball and if he has the hands to make the catch. I think this is a better guy to bet on right now.

I like this pick, has some logic attached to it. He has been the clear #2 behind DJ Moore since the Robbie Anderson trade.

Tyquan had 59 snaps last week and didn't do jack (2 targets, 1 catch.) Three weeks since his Deebo-style breakout and they haven't returned to that section of the playbook. Good news is he's usually 2nd/3rd in snaps and routes run, bad news is there is no consistency to his utilization. Crazy fast but there's a lot of nuance to being an NFL WR.

Last edited:
I'll do a few deeper guys and give one for each position:

Zach Wilson- he's likely going to have to air it out today. Fields is not a deep sleeper.

Kalhif Raymond- Lions #2 with no Hock and gimped up Swift

Julio Jones- 10+ PPR points 2 full games, 10 days to rest since last game, off injury report, should be a 60% snap guy and if Ramsey shadows Evans has favorable matchup.

Parris Campbell-might assume some of Hines role

Terrace Marshall- Panthers #2, big target load last week.

Moreau-9 targets last week. I don't consider Likely a sleeper or I'd put him here.

Lions TE-I just don't know which one

RB Nyheim Hines, Buffalo Bills
-Just repeat those words as you flex this guy out of necessity this weekend.
-I don't know that he's going to be an immediate hit, I just know what he does matches well with what they need right now.
-Who is truly the No 2 option is the passing game? OK, No 3?
You see my point though, there's room in this offense for more.
I still see Hines as being behind Singletary and Cook…does he know the routes and has he had enough time with Josh Allen to get enough targets..I am skeptical

Users who are viewing this thread