What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Jonathan Taylor effect moving forward- Does this set a precedent? (1 Viewer)

Deamon

Footballguy
The league is all about precedents. Each new big deal, resets the market.

What does this do for RB holdouts moving forward? Do we see way more of them? Is this seen as a huge win for the "Holding out will get me that contract" camp?

I think we will see a lot more of these moving forward now.

JT clearly won this battle right? Wonder if Saquon, who is injured and sitting at 1-3, is wishing he sat at home and ended up with a big paycheck like this too.

JT clearly won this battle right? Wonder if Saquon, who is injured and sitting at 1-3, is wishing he sat at home and ended up with a big paycheck like this too.
Sitting at home isn’t the reason. The Colts are 2-2 and probably didn’t expect to be I don’t think they do it if they were 0-4. Instead they would just franchise him next year.

Sitting at home isn’t the reason. The Colts are 2-2 and probably didn’t expect to be I don’t think they do it if they were 0-4.

I agree. The line looks great and Steichen has been dialing up some great play calls. They didn't expect to be this good.

Sitting at home isn’t the reason. The Colts are 2-2 and probably didn’t expect to be I don’t think they do it if they were 0-4.

I agree. The line looks great and Steichen has been dialing up some great play calls. They didn't expect to be this good.

They'll regret it the same way the Cowboys regretted extending Zeke.

I’m not sure they are good, but certainly better than many believed.

They'll regret it the same way the Cowboys regretted extending Zeke.
Wasn’t Elliott 6 years 90M? Far cry from 3 years 42M. Elliott played 4 of those 6. Taylor will only be 27 / 28 at the end of that contract. Not bad for the Colts or Taylor.

Sitting at home isn’t the reason. The Colts are 2-2 and probably didn’t expect to be I don’t think they do it if they were 0-4. Instead they would just franchise him next year.
So you're saying if they're 2-2, they give a guy a massive 3 year extension making him one of the highest paid RB's in the league, and committing to him for 3 years.

If they're 1-3, they might do the opposite and let him sit out, try to trade him, maybe franchise him, etc?

I don't think a win or two changes that, and I'm sure they expected to be 1-3 at least.

So you're saying if they're 2-2, they give a guy a massive 3 year extension making him one of the highest paid RB's in the league, and committing to him for 3 years.

If they're 1-3, they might do the opposite and let him sit out, try to trade him, maybe franchise him, etc?

I don't think a win or two changes that, and I'm sure they expected to be 1-3 at least.
I don’t think 3 years 26M guaranteed constitutes as massive.

Neither do I. If anything I’d say Taylor’s camp caved and this offer has likely been on the table all along.

Neither do I. If anything I’d say Taylor’s camp caved and this offer has likely been on the table all along.
Certainly possible.

I don't know what Taylor was asking for, but I'm sure originally it was a lot more than this. Allowing him to look for a trade may have given him a better idea of what the market might offer, since I'm sure he talked contract with other teams, and this may have made him more realistic. The 4 week PUP allowed both sides some time to cool off and start thinking more rationally. Indy now realizes that they have a legit shot at the division this year which probably seemed unlikely in August. I think this is a big win for the Colts, and a small win for running backs in general - hopefully it gets teams thinking about a second contract after 3 years for star running backs instead of trying to squeeze out every last nickel before dumping them.

I mean, biggest RB contract since 2021 Chubb signed.

IMO, there's a difference between a team paying their own player vs. free agents signing for that kind of money. I don't think this will change much of anything for the open market. Unless there are teams that want to start spending more on RBs, I am not sure there will be free agents being added for $14M a season.

Hard to say. Only thing we know for sure is this size.of deal can't hurt the rb market. Im hoping it locks in the top 10ish rbs in the league at 10 million per year.

Will be a case-by-case basis...every situation is different...Taylor is almost easier because he wasn't drafted in the first round which means his original deal was only 4 years...with this extension the Colts have him thru age 26 which is a great timeline for the team...get three very good years out of him than let him walk and let someone else deal with the inevitable decline or get one more year out of him with the franchise tag...I very much agree that the Colts surprising success made this make more sense for both the player and team...if the Colts are 0-4 I don't think they do this and I don't think Taylor really wants to be there with that contract.

Not a lot of 24 year old RBs only a year removed from winning rushing titles. I think Taylor is much more of an outlier, and think his getting paid means little to the overall RB landscape as a whole.

Probably also matters that the Colts QB is in year 1 of his rookie deal. Right or wrong, Taylor's situation is a lot different than Barkley, Jacobs, Pollard, or Ekeler's were.

Not a lot of 24 year old RBs only a year removed from winning rushing titles. I think Taylor is much more of an outlier, and think his getting paid means little to the overall RB landscape as a whole.

Probably also matters that the Colts QB is in year 1 of his rookie deal. Right or wrong, Taylor's situation is a lot different than Barkley, Jacobs, Pollard, or Ekeler's were.
I agree it won't matter for free agents... and heck, maybe it doesn't even make them get paid more or deals done.

But don't you think it might motivate disgruntled RB's to at least TRY the Jonathan Taylor approach?

I agree it won't matter for free agents... and heck, maybe it doesn't even make them get paid more or deals done.

But don't you think it might motivate disgruntled RB's to at least TRY the Jonathan Taylor approach?

Barkley and Jacobs pretty much did.

Barkley and Jacobs pretty much did.
Okay, try it INTO the season like Taylor did.

I mean, some may try, but Taylor has a rushing title on his resume at 24. Not many RBs have that level of cache.

Also, possible hot take, but did Taylor really win here? It was reported in the offseason, he wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league at 18+. He came up quite a bit short of that. Sure its better than what a lot of other guys are getting/got, but again, other than maybe CMC (who is as versatile as maybe any RB in history) who is a more appealing RB to sigh than Taylor, given his age and production?

I mean, some may try, but Taylor has a rushing title on his resume at 24. Not many RBs have that level of cache.

Also, possible hot take, but did Taylor really win here? It was reported in the offseason, he wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league at 18+. He came up quite a bit short of that. Sure its better than what a lot of other guys are getting/got, but again, other than maybe CMC (who is as versatile as maybe any RB in history) who is a more appealing RB to sigh than Taylor, given his age and production?
I do wonder what the original offer was or if there was one. I'm guessing we will never know.

I do wonder what the original offer was or if there was one. I'm guessing we will never know.
I think this was the original offer.

I highly doubt that. So you think he 'holds out', causes all that drama, and then just one day decides "ok fine I'll take exactly what I rejected before"

No way.

I highly doubt that. So you think he 'holds out', causes all that drama, and then just one day decides "ok fine I'll take exactly what I rejected before"

No way.
100%. He’s basically getting a small raise over back to back tags. He had no leverage other than not playing and his replacement was doing just fine.

Take it or leave it.

No way.
100%. He’s basically getting a small raise over back to back tags. He had no leverage other than not playing and his replacement was doing just fine.

Take it or leave it.
Do you have any Intel on this whatsoever that it was what he was offered a month ago?

Any info at all?

No way.

Take it or leave it.
Do you have any Intel on this whatsoever that it was what he was offered a month ago?

Any info at all?
Of course not. I’m just speculating.

No way.

Take it or leave it.

Any info at all?
Of course not. I’m just speculating.
lol. Usually "100%' doesn't mean speculating.

But ya, I highly highly doubt he took the exact offer from 4 months ago

Just think about it logically. If you’re Taylor. You’re sitting. Not getting paid. Moss is averaging about 100 yards a game. Uhhm, might want to think about signing a contract to get back on the field… The deal he signed is a sniff over back to back tags. I’m sure he wanted much more than that 4 months ago. But, things change when a guy making $1.1M is doing your job.

Users who are viewing this thread