What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Mist" TV Series (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
The Mist TV series gets a pilot order from Spike

Last September, Dimension Television announced that they were bringing The Mist, based on the classic Stephen King novella and film by Frank Darabont, to television, and now word comes that the Viacom-owned cable network Spike has given a pilot order for the show.

Stephen King has given his blessing to the project, which is a continuing series from acclaimed writer Christian Torpe. Torpe created the successful show “Rita” in Denmark, now finishing its fourth season, and has developed programming for both Showtime and AMC.

Using the book and movie as influences, the series tells an original story about a seemingly innocuous mist that seeps into a small town but contains limitless havoc. From psychological terrors to otherworldly creatures, the mist causes the town residents’ darkest demons to appear forcing them to battle the supernatural event and, more importantly, each other.

“We are excited to be in business with Spike on their first scripted production pilot and working with the very talented Christian Torpe to further explore Stephen King’s classic novella and bring this riveting series to television audiences,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman The Weinstein Company and Dimension Films.

“The terror and drama in Stephen King’s novella are so vast that we felt serialized television is the best place to explore them in greater depth,” Weinstein said previously. “With this show, Christian has created a fascinating band of characters and a story with infinite scares.”

Frank Darabont’s fillm adaptation was released in 2007 and grossed $57 million worldwide on an $18 million budget, and went on to achieve critical acclaim. The original novella by King has also provided the inspiration for some high profile video games including Silent Hill and Half-Life.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/660477-the-mist-tv-series-gets-a-pilot-order-from-spike#q3rehorRE7A7syiH.99
Link to the archived movie thread.

Its a relatively short book, I'm not sure how sustainable it is in this format.  Miniseries maybe.  Full series, not enough content.

Its a relatively short book, I'm not sure how sustainable it is in this format.  Miniseries maybe.  Full series, not enough content.
I'd think they could do quite a bit of storytelling before the "mist" even shows up..  Back story on David and the lawyer neighbor Brent.. 

Also, they could show a little history on each of the main characters and how they ended up at the grocery store.. 

I don't really agree.  The novella provides foundation for the TV series post-apocalyptic world, from there they can create any number of survivor stories.  It's The Walking Dead with inter-dimensional monsters instead of zombies.

I don't really agree.  The novella provides foundation for the TV series post-apocalyptic world, from there they can create any number of survivor stories.  It's The Walking Dead with inter-dimensional monsters instead of zombies.
I think I am more in Hulk's corner on this one. I think you're right: it could easily create the "world" but I think it's the type of story that was terrific to read but never really developed a standout character that you could anchor a long-running show to. My fear would be that it would very quickly turn into a "monster of the week" show and this was such a good short by King that it deserves better than that. I would hope we get a greatly adapted, true to the roots 5-6 show mini out of it. 

Using the book and movie as influences, the series tells an original story about a seemingly innocuous mist that seeps into a small town but contains limitless havoc. From psychological terrors to otherworldly creatures, the mist causes the town residents’ darkest demons to appear forcing them to battle the supernatural event and, more importantly, each other.

After Under the Dome, I'm fearful of this show.

Plenty of the time, King's work is translated pretty poorly to the screen, big or small.  The movie version of The Mist was a success though (along with Shawshank, Green Mile, and some horror films like Carrie, IT, etc). 

I would love for this to be done well, but I would be surprised if it is.

One of the few I haven't read by King. 

Pilot was good enough.  In for a few more episodes and then evaluate. 

Users who are viewing this thread