What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings "The Outsider", a 10 episode HBO series coming January. Trailer just released (2 Viewers)

Also I thought this was goofy...

Holly “are there more of you?”

El Cuco “I’ve sensed mor...

Ralph “SHUT UP!!”

Holly “Why do you eat?”

El Cuco “I eat to surv...”

Ralph “SHUT UP!!!”

Holly just wants some answers.
I did too. The creature made zero sense to me. And that’s not like King. 

Not crazy about the finale but it wasn't horrible.  

I guess after bingeing Westworld for a few days...anything seems decent. 

And yeah, I was waiting for the strip club guy (Claude?) to give a wink or something at the end to indicate el cuco left as him.

Don't recall a movie or series that started so strongly and ended so poorly. First two episodes were fantastic. Then it was a steady decline the rest of the way.

I am pretty critical of movies and show - but I loved it.  

And very glad they didn't go with the switcheroo on Claude at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. I thought that drop in quality around episodes 4/5 was going to just be a low point before a strong finish. Instead it kept slipping. 

Never read the book (or even heard of it).   I thought it was worth watching and well done. I liked the finale.   I was glad they figured out a way to clear terry up too, I thought they were just going to leave that hanging.  

Once they let the cat out of the bag in like episode 2 or 3 that there was something supernatural going on, you had to worry about how it was going to wrap up.  I thought it was a little different resolution with the sheriff going back to finish the job and not having the switcheroo on Claude.

Just wondering does someone have a good example of a series or movie where this type of supernatural villain has a satisfactory ending?  Specifically in regards to an entity that takes over other people.  I enjoyed The Fallen but not sure how good a movie it was.

Clearing terry was the only thing satisfying in the finale.

Quickly explaining the Supernatural stuff with “a bunch of people died in the cave 50 years ago felt lazy. If they wanted to go that route, they should’ve played it out longer with something that tied it together more (as much as you can tie together something supernatural)

Quickly explaining the Supernatural stuff with “a bunch of people died in the cave 50 years ago felt lazy. If they wanted to go that route, they should’ve played it out longer with something that tied it together more (as much as you can tie together something supernatural)
Was that really the full origin story they presented? It kind of felt glossed over quickly to me and we weren’t sure if that was “it”. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger Fan said:

I was lazily watching at this point due to the story degradation, but what was the connection of CooCoo to the people that died in the cave? Other than one was a relative of former strip-club employee.

Payne said:
Oh I knew somebody would suggest that and comparing how GOT ended to this is ridiculous. As bad as GOT was, it's not even fair to suggest it equals this abomination.   
Game of Thrones ended awfully. 

Overall, GoT was a great show (far better than this show) but, I think enhanced by how good the show was, the final season was a major disappointment. 

RUSF18 said:
Was that really the full origin story they presented? It kind of felt glossed over quickly to me and we weren’t sure if that was “it”. 
I interpreted the origin story to be the story that Holly tells the group at their meeting and after she did some research and talked to the woman in the prison - that basically this creature is just esssentiall a boogeyman creature that has existed over the course of time (ala the spider/Pennywise in It) and feeds off of suffering. That story actually made sense to me and I was good with it (probably because It is one of my favorite novels and the parallels were about the same).  

What completely loses me about this how are the following: 

1. Why is he weakest after he feeds? My take from the prior cases is that he kills children because it creates the best chance for more suffering and death and that he feeds off that too. I would assume then he gets weakest over the next couple of weeks and then strengthens again as he turns into his new "host" person. 

2. If he feeds off of suffering, why eat animals? How does that possibly help? I mean, I suppose he could eat somebody's pet or something but eating a random deer makes no sense after we learned that it feeds off of suffering. 

3. Why did the protagonist tell Holly to stop asking it questions in the cave?? C'mon, the whole show is basically about this character's mystery and you have the main character say it doesn't matter? 

4. What a ####### dumb plan to take the real strip-club employee out of jail and keep him at a house where ones can only "vouch" for him. Why not actually keep him in jail and on camera where the evidence wouldn't rely on human credibility? 

5. As pointed out a few posts above, what was the significance of the cave story? We know that a bunch of people died. We know that they didn't die by El Cuco because he couldn't get to them. Nonetheless, he had to sense their suffering. Had he killed the kids? If so, that should have satiated and he could have basked in the suffering of the 50 mens just a few feet away. All this story did was explain to me why El Cuco stayed in the cave (to re-live the suffering) but the rest just made no sense or was incomplete. 

6. When the #### did he scratch Holly? Also, why El Cuco clearly has some powers to appear in people's minds, the show presented it as a real, actual organism/creature. As such, even if it scratched Holly, how could it have survived the rock smashed on its face? 

RUSF18 said:

I was lazily watching at this point due to the story degradation, but what was the connection of CooCoo to the people that died in the cave? Other than one was a relative of former strip-club employee.
That's kind of the conclusion that I jumped to :shrug:

I did too. The creature made zero sense to me. And that’s not like King. 
I took that as El Cuco being starving and knowing his minions were in trouble and he wasn't being fed anytime soon, thus made no sense.

Tiger Fan said:

Stephen king generally sucks

Tiger Fan said:
Quickly explaining the Supernatural stuff with “a bunch of people died in the cave 50 years ago felt lazy.
The two had nothing to do with each other.  The backstory from 50 years ago was only needed to explain why that cave was closed off to the public.

Same.  I wouldn't call the show trash but it's pretty close.  
First two episodes were really on par with true detective season one. I don’t think one can call the series trash solely b/c of those episodes.  

Users who are viewing this thread