What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Kings "The Outsider", a 10 episode HBO series coming January. Trailer just released (1 Viewer)

So many great subtle scenes.

Father & older brother shopping for caskets and getting the “specials” brought back some painful terrible memories.

The “taught the kid to drag bunt” speech was rough.

Really good so far. A little skeptical at how this is going to shake out and be explained (wife thinks it’ll be supernatural) but if it’s King it’ll be a good payoff. 

Watched the first episode and thought it was really well done and pretty darn faithful to the book.  So far Ben Mendelsohn is incredible as Ralph Anderson.

Did not read book. Caught first 2 episodes last night.

Really well done.

Has a True Detective season 1 vibe to it.
Also did not read book (since I uh, like, don't do that...) and if it's well done with a True Detective S1 vibe, then I'm in.

Don’t usually go for these King type series but saw Bateman in it and started watching......I’m hooked. 

Wife and I are hooked due to the acting and setting alone. Great music and sounds as well.

However, I am one of those that is not a fan of supernatural things and that seems to be where this is headed. 

Wife and I are hooked due to the acting and setting alone. Great music and sounds as well.

However, I am one of those that is not a fan of supernatural things and that seems to be where this is headed. 
It is based on a Stephen King book after all...

I know nothing of the book but I am liking the show so far.   I am assuming if you read the book you know how this all plays out? I will probably stay out of here to avoid spoilers.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing of the book but I am liking the show so far.   I am assuming if you read the book you know how this all plays out? I will probably stay out of here to avoid spoilers.....
Yes we know how the book ends but don’t know if the show will stay true to it.  Everyone has been good about spoilers.  

I read the book and while I remember it there are some things I forgot. So far I have enjoyed the memory refreshers.

Neither my wife or I cared much for episode 3. In my opinion, the show took a noticeable drop with Bateman gone from in front and behind the camera. 

Will absolutely continue to watch as it's still very good. But we thought the first two episodes were fantastic. 

Neither my wife or I cared much for episode 3. In my opinion, the show took a noticeable drop with Bateman gone from in front and behind the camera. 

Will absolutely continue to watch as it's still very good. But we thought the first two episodes were fantastic. 
Agreed.   I am not a fan of the weird camera angles and out of focus shots.   I am also not feeling this version of Holly vs the version in the book.  Maybe she will grow on me...

Godsbrother said:
Agreed.   I am not a fan of the weird camera angles and out of focus shots.   I am also not feeling this version of Holly vs the version in the book.  Maybe she will grow on me...
Initially the changes to her character irritated me.  By the end of the episode I was good with her, though I do think she should be more aspergery.

Initially the changes to her character irritated me.  By the end of the episode I was good with her, though I do think she should be more aspergery.
She was annoying me too. She was not nearly as particular in the book, like I don’t even understand the need to have her recite days of the week and baseball stats. Why make her more cartoonish when the character was pretty grounded?

Really confused as to where this is going.

I didnt catch it until the Dark Uncle, but if you notice the farm when the guy drives up at the end of Roanoke, its a two track drive with a driveway that goes on for a while.

In the next episode, Dark Uncle, when the cops come up to investigate, its a gravel drive with a asphalt highway that drives not far from it. Inside you see cob webs that were not there when  the guy found the clothes. 

When they mentioned the guy who had finger prints was older, it came to light for me. 

Great show so far, has me interested as hell.

I didnt catch it until the Dark Uncle, but if you notice the farm when the guy drives up at the end of Roanoke, its a two track drive with a driveway that goes on for a while.

In the next episode, Dark Uncle, when the cops come up to investigate, its a gravel drive with a asphalt highway that drives not far from it. Inside you see cob webs that were not there when  the guy found the clothes. 

When they mentioned the guy who had finger prints was older, it came to light for me. 

Huh?

So in on this. Not normally my cup of tea (the supernatural stuff) but I’m totally hooked. 

I don't like what they are doing with Holly's character. Should have just stuck with the book version of the character. I am still in but episode 4 is the first one I did not like much.

I don't like what they are doing with Holly's character. Should have just stuck with the book version of the character. I am still in but episode 4 is the first one I did not like much.
This comment is basically what I came into this thread to make. The changes are just unnecessary, I don’t really see why it was done. Other areas where they stayed a bit from the book are fine, but they’ve turned Holly into a caricature.  

bigmarc27 said:
This comment is basically what I came into this thread to make. The changes are just unnecessary, I don’t really see why it was done. Other areas where they stayed a bit from the book are fine, but they’ve turned Holly into a caricature.  
I havent read the books but can you put in spoilers the difference between the two that you guys are referring to?  thanks

I havent read the books but can you put in spoilers the difference between the two that you guys are referring to?  thanks

I’ve only watched through episode 3, but the main difference I see is that Holly in the tv show is some sort of savant who was studied by medical professionals as a child and has seemingly supernatural mental abilities, while Holly in the books (Mr. Mercedes, The Outsider) is an introverted girl/woman on the spectrum who has a knack for focusing on detail and working very very hard to solve mysteries.

I’ve only watched through episode 3, but the main difference I see is that Holly in the tv show is some sort of savant who was studied by medical professionals as a child and has seemingly supernatural mental abilities, while Holly in the books (Mr. Mercedes, The Outsider) is an introverted girl/woman on the spectrum who has a knack for focusing on detail and working very very hard to solve mysteries.
Spot on...

tackle for loss said:

While there is some cob webs when the clothes are found, I think you might be on to something here. 

1st scene

2nd scene

While there is some cob webs when the clothes are found, I think you might be on to something here. 

1st scene

2nd scene
I think the cars are driving up to two different sides of the barn in the two scenes (back side in the first and front side facing the road in the second).  The appearance of the barn (window shape, coloring, doors) is very different in each scene.  Could be a technical error as they used two different barns in production, but I think it may be opposite sides of the barn, one of which has a gravel road and one that doesn't. 

So it seems like this is gonna end up being some type of bogeyman that has been living for centuries and takes the form of the person it scratches. It then kills children and takes pleasure in seeing the grief of the families in the aftermath of that destruction. 

I think the cars are driving up to two different sides of the barn in the two scenes (back side in the first and front side facing the road in the second).  The appearance of the barn (window shape, coloring, doors) is very different in each scene.  Could be a technical error as they used two different barns in production, but I think it may be opposite sides of the barn, one of which has a gravel road and one that doesn't. 
Actually, now that you pointed it out, I believe even more its a different time. Look at the amount of trees in the 1st video and how close they are to the barn. 

Doesn't appear to be two different sides at all. Could be two different barns altogether though. 

Edit: You are right about the windows and doors though. Who knows. lol

Heather Graham makes up for that.

She is still getting it done.  Amazing genetics
Casting Alexander Skarsgard as Randall Flagg is an interesting decision.  I like him as an actor and he certainly has the malevolence down.  But he's also way too pretty for the role.  I presume they'll be roughing up his appearance quite a bit.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BARNS!?
It wasn’t a complaint. A couple folks were positing a theory that the differences suggested multiple time lines. And I responded that that wasn’t likely the case. 

Looks like two different barns.  You guys are reading too much into it.
No its just called discussion. lol

And why would it be two different barns? I guess it could be, but If thats the case, you further make the point that its two different eras. 

The same exact clothes would be in 2 different barns or the barn can be modified without the clothes moving? Maybe

Its a horror/crime investigative drama, this is what we are supposed to do.

The boogyman crossings eras and generations seems to be a thing they are going with with the El Cuco stuff.

If anything it’s a continuity error. The barn portion of the story is done. 
This is why some detectives are better then others. Why the characters in the show went with Holly instead of some other one....good detectives see things, other ignore them.

Pretty big continuity error.  It seems the barn discussion really got some people bothered. lol

Sometimes its hard for people to understand the unexplained. It literally is the line used in the show over and over. 

Maybe the barn is the same but in different time periods?  Just a thought. 

Might explain possibly starting at Cherokee City and the killings moving throughout New York, Dayton, and back to Cherokee City?  The buckle was said to have really old fingerprints.   

The whole drive to the barn is too different to be a miss at production.  They made it very obvious that the road was a two lane, dirt road with a bad bump in it.  The other was a gravel road where cars can get back to the barn.

I don't know, 6 more episodes to find out.

Maybe the barn is the same but in different time periods?  Just a thought. 

Might explain possibly starting at Cherokee City and the killings moving throughout New York, Dayton, and back to Cherokee City?  The buckle was said to have really old fingerprints.   

The whole drive to the barn is too different to be a miss at production.  They made it very obvious that the road was a two lane, dirt road with a bad bump in it.  The other was a gravel road where cars can get back to the barn.

I don't know, 6 more episodes to find out.
That was my initial opinion and still is. We saw in the previews for next episodes that Ralph asks Jack about what happened in the barn, so to the critics of this discussion, its relevant... Its where Jack got infected. Its where we see the flashing of the body in the door and the first sight that someone saw him before any other. They made a point to show a cemetery off to the side and also found it important to have the clothes be found there. The barn is of big importance to the script so far.  

Back to your point, lol...the angle they came up from the cop car as it turned on the road made the point to show it went from road to asphalt, your point about the bump and the two track. I think they intended to make it so obvious that we caught on. However, it took the 2nd episode for me to realize it mattered and since Ralph references in the next episode Im even more curious as to what the barn means. Its not random that Jacks neck got "jacked up" out of viewers sight. 

Users who are viewing this thread