What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

How does he pair with Davis?
Almost has to mean that, at least as of today, Davis is the FS.....which I don't really like much.

Burnett should be a net positive overall though (if he can remain healthy).  They'll still be drafting a S I'd imagine, and Sutton could be making a move there too.  We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
5-ish Finkle said:
Almost has to mean that, at least as of today, Davis is the FS.....which I don't really like much.

Burnett should be a net positive overall though (if he can remain healthy).  They'll still be drafting a S I'd imagine, and Sutton could be making a move there too.  We'll see.
Right?  Why make a move to change a good young player’s position?

Right?  Why make a move to change a good young player’s position?
I was intimating that I dont think Davis is necessarily the answer at FS.  He backslid at strong last season to me, and I dont know that he'll be less of a liability/bounce back if he's the deep guy instead, but it appears we are going to find out.

Just don’t be surprised when the Steelers add Shaquem Griffin to this defense. He’s the only defensive player since 2000 to weigh 225 lbs and run a sub 4.4. They’ll be in love with that athleticism. I just wonder how early in the draft they’ll have to do it.

Just don’t be surprised when the Steelers add Shaquem Griffin to this defense. He’s the only defensive player since 2000 to weigh 225 lbs and run a sub 4.4. They’ll be in love with that athleticism. I just wonder how early in the draft they’ll have to do it.
He sure would come in handy.

After reading this breakdown I think he will be a significant upgrade over Mitchell.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/film-room-morgan-burnett-offers-steelers-plenty-of-flexibility/
Further tape breakdown of Burnett:

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/03/21/morgan-burnett/

The signing of Morgan Burnett does not eliminate the idea of a defensive back in the first round or early in the draft. If anything, this just makes the defense as a whole more versatile, and more open to taking any position it chooses in the first round.

Burnett is a chess piece. It would be limiting of his skill set to jam him into one role. Put him in the box to defend the run. Put him on tight ends in the slot, and running backs in the backfield. The versatility of Morgan Burnett is easily the greatest advantage that he brings to the Steelers. It will be on Keith Butler to use his versatility properly and expose his skill set to the Steelers advantage.

Resigned McCullers, good move I guess? He seemed to have a fair amount of potential, but never quite lived up to it. Big Snack 2.0 he is not.

• Can we please stop utilizing Bud Dupree so much in coverage. Please!
He's great lined up over the Tight End and hitting the TE/HB/OL and moving forward.  But going sideways and making quick coverage cuts?  He's terrible. Why did we do this round peg - square hole tactic?  It takes him out of the play and as his quickness is his worst part of his game, its hard to get him back into the play once he is chasing a receiving option. Yes I want him coming forward at the QB. Yes I want Watt coming forward at the QB. The difference is that Watt is far more nimble, and Bud more powerful. Even on the run plays he is typically just watching/mirroring his coverage responsibility and not attacking the play, I don't get it. Was the back end coverage so bad they kept him totally corralled by design?

Everyone is dumping on Bud because of his lack of production but his utilization by the coaches is borderline criminal. He had more coverage snaps than every other "edge player" in the NFL except for 5 and one of those was TJ.

Can we please sign Eric Reid? He's talented, and we need safety help. Maybe we can get him on a cheap 2-year deal. Short enough to let his "issues" blow over, and a good deal for us to groom a new S.

steelers1080 said:
Can we please sign Eric Reid? He's talented, and we need safety help. Maybe we can get him on a cheap 2-year deal. Short enough to let his "issues" blow over, and a good deal for us to groom a new S.
:goodposting:

would even settle for a 1 year deal

Not liking this gamesmanship with Leveon. 
I think the Steelers have resigned themselves to the fact that LeVeon is not going to cave from his unrealistic demands.   Assuming Bell doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks just draft a RB in an early round and do a 80-20 split with Bell doing the bulk of the heavy load in 2018.  Then you let him walk in 2019 and likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020.  

I think the Steelers have resigned themselves to the fact that LeVeon is not going to cave from his unrealistic demands.   Assuming Bell doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks just draft a RB in an early round and run do a 80-20 split with Bell doing the bulk of the heavy load in 2018.  Then you let him walk in 2019 and likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2020.  
Yea but not first rounder. 

What FA backs are left?

If it's any consolation, we got Leveon for less under the franchise tag than we would have if he signed last year.  I forget the exact #s, but I'm pretty sure we paid him $2-4 million less over this year and last than we would have with the deal that was offered.
I'm still hoping we lock him up because I think him, Ben and Antonio together give us a chance, even with a middling defense.

Eric Reid Watch, Day 8. Still not a Steelers. Still disappointed.

Great, Leveon Bell is telling the media that he wants Antonio Brown Money, aka $17 million a year.

So, he won't show up until Week 1, when we have a new OC. Not awesome. But, 35-40 touches per game, go as far as we can go, then wish him well next year.

I really want him to remain a Steeler, even if it seemed like a bit of an overpay, but we're not going to reset the RB market just to keep him. The highest RB average salary is $8.5 million per year. We offered something like $13-$14 million per year. If you don't like that, I guess it's time to move on.

Sad, but I've finally come around. If we resign him, great! If we don't, it wasn't meant to be.

I said it before... tag Bell next year (2019) and then let him walk.  

That would be  12.1/14.5/17.4 deal as a 3 year contract.  The NFL just added 12million in cap space for 2017 and 5million more for 2018. The league may extend it even more in 2019.

He will then turn 28 for the 2020 walk season.

Bell has an interesting way of negotiating.  Ask for a ridiculous amount and when the team comes close it to it, say you want a bunch more.  It is a good thing he isn't a real estate agent.  

I think the Steelers are wise for making their best offer, riding the tag out this year, selecting a RB high in this year's draft and give Bell 25-30 touches per game.   Bell is going to have to deliver big and remain healthy if he's going to get anywhere near what he wants in FA in 2019. 

I said it before... tag Bell next year (2019) and then let him walk.  

That would be  12.1/14.5/17.4 deal as a 3 year contract.  The NFL just added 12million in cap space for 2017 and 5million more for 2018. The league may extend it even more in 2019.

He will then turn 28 for the 2020 walk season.
The rules for a third franchise tag is different - there are two options for determining the third franchise tag value -

Third year of the franchise tag: the player gets 144% of their previous years salary not 120% like Bell is getting for this season

- OR -   

the player get the average salary of the five 5 highest paid players of the highest paid position group in the previous year - even if the player being franchised doesn't play that position.

So Bell would get the average salary of the five highest paid QBs if he is franchised for a third time in 2019 . 

The rules for a third franchise tag is different - there are two options for determining the third franchise tag value -

Third year of the franchise tag: the player gets 144% of their previous years salary not 120% like Bell is getting for this season

- OR -   

the player get the average salary of the five 5 highest paid players of the highest paid position group in the previous year - even if the player being franchised doesn't play that position.

So Bell would get the average salary of the five highest paid QBs if he is franchised for a third time in 2019 . 
Yeah I would not franchise Bell for a third time.   If he doesn't sign a long term deal this offseason then he is done as a Steeler.  Time to move on...

The thing that really bothers me about Bell is he is now talking about potentially not reporting week 1 and possibly even longer.  I suppose it could be just a negotiating tactic and he would be a fool to sit and miss $800k+ per game but I'm not sure Bell is the sharpest tool in the shed and he might feel vindictive. 

He could decide that skipping out on 9 games will give him time to focus on his rap career, screw the Steelers, and still earn $5+ million playing football in 2018 and free to negotiate with any team in 2019.

- OR -   

Can they use a different tag to avoid the QB route, or does that follow the same parameters? 

Can they use a different tag to avoid the QB route, or does that follow the same parameters? 
There is the transition tag but I don't know if it can be used on someone who was already can franchise tagged twice.  I'm guessing Bell would still get paid under the third franchise tag rules.

The thing that really bothers me about Bell is he is now talking about potentially not reporting week 1 and possibly even longer.  I suppose it could be just a negotiating tactic and he would be a fool to sit and miss $800k+ per game but I'm not sure Bell is the sharpest tool in the shed and he might feel vindictive. 

He could decide that skipping out on 9 games will give him time to focus on his rap career, screw the Steelers, and still earn $5+ million playing football in 2018 and free to negotiate with any team in 2019.
Ugh. The last thing we need is another headache.  If they make him a legit, good offer, and he still turns it down, trade him to the Dolphins. Then he'll get to live his rap lifestyle in Miami, and will never have a shot at a Superbowl.  Not sure if that matters to him or not, but it would definitely matter to me if I worked my whole like to compete at the highest level.

Ugh. The last thing we need is another headache.  If they make him a legit, good offer, and he still turns it down, trade him to the Dolphins. Then he'll get to live his rap lifestyle in Miami, and will never have a shot at a Superbowl.  Not sure if that matters to him or not, but it would definitely matter to me if I worked my whole like to compete at the highest level.
I could be wrong but don't think you can trade him until he signs a contract.  At this point he is considered an unsigned free agent 

Godsbrother said:
I could be wrong but don't think you can trade him until he signs a contract.  At this point he is considered an unsigned free agent 
You can't, they'd have to talk with Bell about it first and agree to trade him after he signs.

That said, if we rescind the tag, what're the odds that some other team would give him more than $14 million per year? And would we miss out on a comp pick if he leaves?

Hubbard signed somewhere else, but we signed Bostic and Burnett, does that mean we wouldn't get a Comp pick if Bell leaves?  And it'll suck if we don't get a comp pick for Hubbard.

If they do rescind the offer, they should do it as late as possible. I doubt he finds the market he wants after teams get their hands on this crop of rookie RB’s. Nothing is going to make him happy though. I believe I posted it earlier. When they offered 12, he wanted 14. When they offered 14, now he wants 17. If they offer him 17, he’ll say he wants 20. What he has done early in his career is incredible for a RB. His recieving ability can’t be replaced. That being said, he was below replacement as a rusher last year with one of the best OLines in the league. They would have to replace him with 2 backs but when hasn’t that been the case in the modern NFL offense.

If they do rescind the offer, they should do it as late as possible. I doubt he finds the market he wants after teams get their hands on this crop of rookie RB’s. Nothing is going to make him happy though. I believe I posted it earlier. When they offered 12, he wanted 14. When they offered 14, now he wants 17. If they offer him 17, he’ll say he wants 20. What he has done early in his career is incredible for a RB. His recieving ability can’t be replaced. That being said, he was below replacement as a rusher last year with one of the best OLines in the league. They would have to replace him with 2 backs but when hasn’t that been the case in the modern NFL offense.
I agree with your entire post but I am not sure about our o-line being one of the best in the league.  On paper they are but I thought they did a very good job in pass protection but digressed some in run blocking.

Rotoworld mock draft:

Round 1 (28): S Justin Reid, Stanford - Reid is receiving plenty of interest from mid- to late-first round teams. He’s super athletic, a trend for multiple first and second round picks for the Steelers in recent years. Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett and Reid would form a nice trio.

Round 2 (60): LB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State - Adding speed at linebacker is imperative for the Steelers this offseason. It was imperative after losing Ryan Shazier. Leonard is a very talented player with size, and the Steelers selected a hit with Javon Hargrave out of the same small program a few years ago.

Round 3 (92): RB Rashaad Penny, San Diego State - The Steelers are interested in running backs, and I could see one being drafted in any of the first three rounds. Penny certainly has his fans. His performance against Arizona State was top notch, as he displayed uncommon breakaway speed for a big running back.

Round 5 (139): WR Deon Cain, Clemson - Martavis Bryant’s contract is up after the season, so another big bodied vertical threat could be added to the list. I have no gauge on where Cain will land in this draft.

Round 5 (156): DL Bilal Nichols, Delaware - Nichols looked good during Shrine week and offers interior disruption.

Round 7 (194): CB Donovan Olumba, Portland State - Corner depth, and one specifically with length.

Round 7 (220): T Jamar McGloster, Syracuse - The Steelers might be the best in the league at developing swing tackles. McGloster could be their next one.

"it's so hard to be a hero in a city that paints youu out to be the villain.."  -Leveon Bell

Seriously? We want to pay him $6 million more per year than any other RB, but we're painting him out to be the villain?  I'm sure there's lots of people saying he's asking for too much, but that's because he's asking for an unrealistic number. Asking for more than the team can afford implies that hewant to leave, and many fans don't appreciate that.

I was on his side last season, just pay the man since he'd played so well and was a good teammate. We upped the offer, and he's whining about Steelers fans not liking him enough? I just want this crap to be over, either sign him and we'll go back to the norm, or get rid of him and unload the drama.

I’m wondering if the Pats trade wasn’t also a move to get ahead of the Steelers to get Roquan, Edmunds or Vander Esch. I feel like the Steelers are going to try and walk out of round 1 with one of those guys. Guide or a QB in 1 doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, I also don’t like the idea of taking safety early if it isn’t Derwin James. Edmunds is a guy that matches what the Steelers have been doing in the draft a lot lately. 6’5 253 with a 4.54 40, plus he could be used in a rotation with Bostic instead of throwing him into the fire considering he’ll be 20 years old entering the season.

I’m wondering if the Pats trade wasn’t also a move to get ahead of the Steelers to get Roquan, Edmunds or Vander Esch. I feel like the Steelers are going to try and walk out of round 1 with one of those guys. Guide or a QB in 1 doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, I also don’t like the idea of taking safety early if it isn’t Derwin James. Edmunds is a guy that matches what the Steelers have been doing in the draft a lot lately. 6’5 253 with a 4.54 40, plus he could be used in a rotation with Bostic instead of throwing him into the fire considering he’ll be 20 years old entering the season.
I think Edmunds and Roquan are both gone by pick 15 and Dallas is interested in both  Vander Esch and Evans.  NO, Atlanta, Indy, and the Dolphins all have visits scheduled with Evans too.  

I think it's more than likely that all four are gone before the Steelers pick.

As for New England, I expect they will try to trade up into the top ten.   Speculation today is most likely for a QB since reports were Belichick  was not on board with trading Jimmy G.

I think Edmunds and Roquan are both gone by pick 15 and Dallas is interested in both  Vander Esch and Evans.  NO, Atlanta, Indy, and the Dolphins all have visits scheduled with Evans too.  

I think it's more than likely that all four are gone before the Steelers pick.

As for New England, I expect they will try to trade up into the top ten.   Speculation today is most likely for a QB since reports were Belichick  was not on board with trading Jimmy G.
It’s tough for me to see all those LB’s gone early in the first. Teams do not invest in off tackle LB much the same way they don’t invest in RB. I’ll try to go through the math for my own assessment but PFF had calculated 29 1st round worthy players. The thing that is a valid concern for your assessment is that this draft class is very weak at the top for WR. Usually there is a lot of WR’s taken at the top. I expect 5 QB’s to go in the first which should make up for some of that loss.

Bojang0301 said:
It’s tough for me to see all those LB’s gone early in the first. Teams do not invest in off tackle LB much the same way they don’t invest in RB. I’ll try to go through the math for my own assessment but PFF had calculated 29 1st round worthy players. The thing that is a valid concern for your assessment is that this draft class is very weak at the top for WR. Usually there is a lot of WR’s taken at the top. I expect 5 QB’s to go in the first which should make up for some of that loss.
The hope is that there are a lot of QBs and O-linemen taken in the 1st, that could push 1 or more ILBs down. But lots of teams have need at the ILB position right now, it's easy to mock 6-8 different teams taking an ILB in the 1st. I'm hoping either Evans or LVE falls to 28, but we could be stuck with no good option at ILB or S in the first. If that's the case I hope we trade up or down, and don't take BPA unless someone crazy falls to us at another position where we're not 100% set.

JoeSteeler said:
Possibly, but I feel like it is more insurance that Bell isn't there week 1.
I was just joking, it's a signing that makes hardly any difference to our team. He's going to be the RB3 behind Conner and Bell.

Users who are viewing this thread