What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

So who do they have now behin JuJu?  Ryan Switzer, James Washington, and Justin Hunter???

Eli Rogers is a FA right?

Boone22 said:
So who do they have now behin JuJu?  Ryan Switzer, James Washington, and Justin Hunter???

Eli Rogers is a FA right?
yep Rogers is an UFA

don't forget about DHB 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Why not wait until june though if all you are getting in 2019 is a 3 and 5?
I don’t run the team. Stop ####### asking me. You’re being a clown. Rooney probably ####### told him to do it. He’s the owner he makes the ####### rules.

I don’t run the team. Stop ####### asking me. You’re being a clown. Rooney probably ####### told him to do it. He’s the owner he makes the ####### rules.
I am not blaming Colbert. It is Rooney and the whole management structure. Steelers got totally punked. Brown won on all levels and this is terrible precedent for the league. 

Tomlin and Colbert both desrved to be fired!  What a clusterduck.  Sad how these two continue to keep their jobs.

Tomlin and Colbert both desrved to be fired!  What a clusterduck.  Sad how these two continue to keep their jobs.
Colbert has no culpability in this AB mess (or the Bell situation) IMO - what did he do wrong?  He said "kids" which was an unfortunate choice of words but that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  And nothing could be done about Bell short of paying him whatever he wanted which is not a good choice for the Steelers.

Tomlin OTOH is a bit more on the hot-seat for me due to AB getting preferential treatment for a while which escalated out of control.  

Colbert has no culpability in this AB mess (or the Bell situation) IMO - what did he do wrong?  He said "kids" which was an unfortunate choice of words but that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  And nothing could be done about Bell short of paying him whatever he wanted which is not a good choice for the Steelers.

Tomlin OTOH is a bit more on the hot-seat for me due to AB getting preferential treatment for a while which escalated out of control.  
Colbert is GM.  It most certainly is his job for both Brown and Bell!  He's always been horrible in F.A., he has been bad managing the salary cap!  Last couple of years been average at best in drafting.  Between the two  of them, they're destroying a good team.

The Lions just signed Danny Amendola... lets calm down on the “embarrassing the NFL, embarrassing the Franchise” bull ####. Only one person did that: Antonio Brown. He may very well go on to produce statistically there but Carr is not good despite what twitter and this community wants to think. I remember having conversations with a poster on this board way back in the day defending David Carr and him pointing out how terrified he was in the pocket and that he could no longer throw downfield. Derek has been on his way there the last two season. Breaking down his OLine even further is not going on aid things if they think they are going to rely on rookies and the worst OL coach in the NFL for the last half decade. Yes, short term victory for AB and every hater in America... we’ll see how they feel 8 weeks into the season.

JuJu and Cam Heyward both shot out tweets yesterday that basically echoed the sentiment I felt. Next year is make or break. This is an unusual situation to be sure. Warren Sharp posted that only one team had a winning record with a WR carrying >10% cap hit (Julio a few seasons ago) but I’m not really sure that’s going to be reflective of where this team is at (plus if he’s indicating that’s a bad situation it would have been bad with or without Brown). I still wish Butler was out because that’s where the real weakness has been. They need some good breaks to occur but also have a lot of strengths. This offense is going to take a step back but the OL is strong and intact, Conner/Samuels look capable, JuJu is a WR1 and Vance McDonald could be primed for a big year. They will need Washington to step up and hopefully grab a high end rookie from this years deep class.

The D is where it’s concerning and while it’s a talent issue they also need to get the secondary straightened out. The DL is good to great. Heyward is a stud and Tuitt can be if he can find health and consistency. Hargrave was really good last year and is never talked about. They need to find a CB and a S. No more messing around with castoffs like Burnett please or trying any hybrid stuff. Go get one of these top LB’s that are at least athletically similar to Shazier. Edmunds needs to step up. His season was very disappointing compared to Justin Reid and Jessie Bates. He did start to play better toward the end and still has top end athleticism.  I hate to say it though but no matter what personnel changes are made they’re going to have flaws. Butler will keep covering WR’s with DL or LB like an idiot and there is nothing I can do but complain about it. The offense is still going to have to overcome. 

I would say I’m still pretty hopeful about next year. Browns and Bengals will have year 1 coaches but I think everyone agrees that the Browns are on the rise. Looks like the Ravens could lose Mosley and have already lost Weddle. Their D was the staple of keeping them in games with Lamar. The division is not weak but it’s also not the Rams/Seahawks or Colts/Texans yet...

I hope that the Steelers don't reach on a player just to fill that WR spot in the 1st. There are a few guys I'd be ok with taking at 20, but if we're deadset on taking a WR in the 1st, I hope we trade down.

I hope that the Steelers don't reach on a player just to fill that WR spot in the 1st. There are a few guys I'd be ok with taking at 20, but if we're deadset on taking a WR in the 1st, I hope we trade down.
They need to get a LB or a CB... I agree, if WR goes there I’ll be disappointed. It will also be an indictment that Washington has already failed.

Why wouldn't they renege?  Now that the cards are on the table, other teams know exactly what they can offer the Steelers.  You have to think there is at least one team who is willing to beat that offer.  
Reputation etc. Why let this happen and leak before this week though?  Maybe there is more to the deal. Two separate sources locally are saying “it isn’t done until it is done” type stuff. 

I understand the thinking that the Steelers got hosed but I don't feel so bad about it.  With all of AB hijinks, his twitter posts, goofy interviews, etc. I thought the Steelers did well to get a #3 (two spots outs of the 2nd round) and #5 (three spots out of the 4th round).   Other than the Bills and Raiders there were no other teams seriously interested.   I think the criticism of Colbert and the Steelers telegraphing they wanted to trade AB and setting a deadline are kind of silly.   As soon as you talk to one team about a trade the whole league knows about it and they set the deadline to get an offer from anyone interested so they could avoid the $2.5 million roster bonus and move on from the Mr. Big Checks circus as quickly as possible.   Does anyone really think AB was going to stop twittering until he was traded?

Let's also not forget there is still a domestic issue hanging over his head which could result in suspension.   AB may have played this perfectly but he is still a knucklehead.   His off the field antics were not done to get more money.  It seems to be more of a question of when rather than if, there will be another incident.

With AB's departure, the Steelers have finally purge themselves of the three or four players that were causing the most drama.   Brown, Bell, Martavis, James Harrison were causing problems in the locker room.  Now that they're gone maybe they can establish a little more discipline and focus attention to detail that has been lacking for the last couple of seasons.

Going into this draft the Steelers have a #1, #2, two 3's, a #4, two #5, two #6 and a #7.   I suspect that they'll package up one or two of those picks but whether or they do or not this year certainly has the chance to be the most productive draft in recent years.  The Steelers also have some money under the cap to sign an impact FA or two.

Call it a hunch or wishful thinking but I get a feeling that Ben will find another target to take AB's place.   I am not saying he will be as great as AB was but someone that will be productive enough that teams will not be able to solely concentrate on JuJu.  I feel confident about this because Ben has always been able to do so throughout his career:  Hines, Plaxico, Wallace, Sanders, AB, Bryant, JuJu -- the one constant has been the QB.

The biggest criticisms of the Steelers offense over the last 2 or 3 years was abandoning the running game and forcing the ball to AB.   I don't expect them to turn into a conservative offense but perhaps without AB they will be a better balanced offense.   Throwing the ball 50-60x times usually is not a winning formula and puts undue pressure on a mediocre defense.

So maybe I am whistling past the graveyard but I am relieved the Antonio Brown saga is finally over for the Steelers.   AB is a great player and I appreciate the effort on the field but he's lost me as a fan.  I don't wish any ill upon him but I am not going to root for him either (unless he ends up on my fantasy team)

I understand the thinking that the Steelers got hosed but I don't feel so bad about it.  With all of AB hijinks, his twitter posts, goofy interviews, etc. I thought the Steelers did well to get a #3 (two spots outs of the 2nd round) and #5 (three spots out of the 4th round).   Other than the Bills and Raiders there were no other teams seriously interested.   I think the criticism of Colbert and the Steelers telegraphing they wanted to trade AB and setting a deadline are kind of silly.   As soon as you talk to one team about a trade the whole league knows about it and they set the deadline to get an offer from anyone interested so they could avoid the $2.5 million roster bonus and move on from the Mr. Big Checks circus as quickly as possible.   Does anyone really think AB was going to stop twittering until he was traded?

Let's also not forget there is still a domestic issue hanging over his head which could result in suspension.   AB may have played this perfectly but he is still a knucklehead.   His off the field antics were not done to get more money.  It seems to be more of a question of when rather than if, there will be another incident.

With AB's departure, the Steelers have finally purge themselves of the three or four players that were causing the most drama.   Brown, Bell, Martavis, James Harrison were causing problems in the locker room.  Now that they're gone maybe they can establish a little more discipline and focus attention to detail that has been lacking for the last couple of seasons.

Going into this draft the Steelers have a #1, #2, two 3's, a #4, two #5, two #6 and a #7.   I suspect that they'll package up one or two of those picks but whether or they do or not this year certainly has the chance to be the most productive draft in recent years.  The Steelers also have some money under the cap to sign an impact FA or two.

Call it a hunch or wishful thinking but I get a feeling that Ben will find another target to take AB's place.   I am not saying he will be as great as AB was but someone that will be productive enough that teams will not be able to solely concentrate on JuJu.  I feel confident about this because Ben has always been able to do so throughout his career:  Hines, Plaxico, Wallace, Sanders, AB, Bryant, JuJu -- the one constant has been the QB.

The biggest criticisms of the Steelers offense over the last 2 or 3 years was abandoning the running game and forcing the ball to AB.   I don't expect them to turn into a conservative offense but perhaps without AB they will be a better balanced offense.   Throwing the ball 50-60x times usually is not a winning formula and puts undue pressure on a mediocre defense.

So maybe I am whistling past the graveyard but I am relieved the Antonio Brown saga is finally over for the Steelers.   AB is a great player and I appreciate the effort on the field but he's lost me as a fan.  I don't wish any ill upon him but I am not going to root for him either (unless he ends up on my fantasy team)
Teams should never let players dictate terms when they are under contract.  The Steelers shouldn't have traded him, then put him on the inactive list every week.  I'm afraid this has set a precedent the league doesn't need.

Teams should never let players dictate terms when they are under contract.  The Steelers shouldn't have traded him, then put him on the inactive list every week.  I'm afraid this has set a precedent the league doesn't need.
It's a bad look for sure, but TO did it before.

Maybe but it didn't really set a precedent when TO ad Keyshawn did it.    Having AB on the team and making him inactive would not have made the Steelers a better team and likely would have triggered a grievance by the union.   I understand the sentiment but it is not being realistic.

Ok. Time to move on. 

What cap space do we have, and do we expect more after Ben’s extension?

which FA’s can we legit target and let’s get some mock drafts going. Maybe we can have a Ewing Theory championship year. 

Ok. Time to move on. 

which FA’s can we legit target and let’s get some mock drafts going. Maybe we can have a Ewing Theory championship year. 
Over the Cap has us around $16.5mil. And yes, have to expect some more when Ben is extended, and Burnett is cut.

I'll let others weigh in on FAs, but I know John Brown is out there, and if they sign him and he wears 84, it would be great trolling and I can keep my bumblebee jersey. I have AB and Harrison...don't really want to wear those anymore after recent events, so back to my 90s Kordell.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Ok. Time to move on. 

If we could get Mosley... man that would be awesome. I think maybe corner could be more of a priority in FA. I’ve never been good at identifying them or scheme fit. I really like Roby and McCourty but I would defer to someone who actually knows the nuances of the CB position.

I'll likely change after FA starts but right now

1st round:  LBs Devin White, Devin Bush or CBs Greedy Williams

2nd round: LB: Mack Wilson or CB Amani Oruwarlye

In a perfect world we'd concentrate on building up our defense so we don't have to be as reliant on our passing game (and AB).  I'd argue we still have a Top 5 offense even without AB.  Our O-Line is Top 3, Conner and Samuels are versatile and arguable a Top 10 backfield.  Ben played like a Top 5 QB last year.  If Vance McD and Ben can stay healthy and we find a sleeper WR in Rnd 3/4 of the draft (like we usually do) I think our passing game will surprise some teams.   

With our lack of recent success drafting DBs and LBs I really hope Colbert tries to find some known commodities via FA to help with the DEF.  I would love to see them get Bush (ILB-Mich) with the first pick and possibly Hicks (FA from Philly).  Those two guys alone could have a huge impact at ILB, which could quickly turn our biggest weakness on defense to one of our strongest positions. It will also help our DL and OLB concentrate on their jobs when they don't have to worry about covering for weak ILBs. 

Who?  ;)

I'm optimistic about this year as well.  Let's not forget the Steelers won the Super Bowl after Plax left the team. 

I know the defense in 2005 was way better than the defense the Steelers will have next year, so let me just have this moment :lol:  
Really a damn shame about Shazier. This team has a lot of pieces in place already on D. They need an anchor ILB and a shutdown corner but those are big asks. If Butler was a creative man he could mask some of the flaws but he believes his system is superior to individual game planning. He is wrong.

Ok. Time to move on. 

Teams are already spending crazy $$ on FA's today -

Kwon Alexander 4 yrs 54M -  what will CJ Mosley want after seeing this contract.

Trent Brown  4 yrs 66M

Teams are already spending crazy $$ on FA's today -

Kwon Alexander 4 yrs 54M -  what will CJ Mosley want after seeing this contract.

Trent Brown  4 yrs 66M
Lol, kiss any ideas I had good bye. They’re going to have to wait this out and wade through the #### to find some vets to bring in.

They should not extend Ben and just let him retire. Time to rebuild.  They are in cap hell and got nothing for AB. 
They are hardly in cap hell. Cap hell would have been that there is no way to trade AB and cutting valuable vets to eat the cap hit or holding through no matter what.

They are hardly in cap hell. Cap hell would have been that there is no way to trade AB and cutting valuable vets to eat the cap hit or holding through no matter what.
They are about $17 million under the cap and will likely get more when Ben is extended so they will probably be around 20th compared to the rest of the league.  Next season they should be in great shape (top 10) considering they're eating all of Brown's dead money this year.

They are about $17 million under the cap and will likely get more when Ben is extended so they will probably be around 20th compared to the rest of the league.  Next season they should be in great shape (top 10) considering they're eating all of Brown's dead money this year.
Is that true after Pouncey’s deal?  The AB extension was a killer and it seems we are entering a brave new world in NFL free agency and cap management, with the Steelers looking slow to evolve. 

Yes, Spotrac has them at about $16 mil. The Steelers are very saavy when it comes to the cap.
Savvy at pushing problems into the future and typically never being able to adequately address needs via free agency.  Just feels like things are catching up to them a bit this season. If Ben doesn’t play out this next extension at a high level, it will be another anchor holding the team back. 

Savvy at pushing problems into the future and typically never being able to adequately address needs via free agency.  Just feels like things are catching up to them a bit this season. If Ben doesn’t play out this next extension at a high level, it will be another anchor holding the team back. 
What is your issue man? I’m centimeters away from ignoring you. So now you’re telling me the last two decades of them retaining outstanding players and never having to make a terrible decision cutting someone or letting them go too soon (other than Emmanuel Sanders) is poor navigation of the cap or putting problems off? AB is an anomaly. Everyone gets it you’re mad. I’m not the happiest about it either but in regards to your last few statements they are simply untrue and if Ben starts to tank his cap hit will probably not matter as they’ll begin a search for a rookie QB unless Rudolph is by some miracle good.

The Steelers haven't had a losing season since 2003 and since then they have 10 double digit win seasons including 2 Super Bowl victories.  Any team not named NE would be very happy with that level of success of the last 15 years.  Sometimes I think we as Steeler fans have been spoiled by their sustained success.
I am not one who gets mad when we don’t win the super bowl every season and I am not calling for Tomlin’s head like a lot of folks, but let’s not pretend that the Steelers haven’t benefited by playing the browns and bengals 2x a year and having a weak division. 

The Steelers haven't had a losing season since 2003 and since then they have 10 double digit win seasons including 2 Super Bowl victories.  Any team not named NE would be very happy with that level of success of the last 15 years.  Sometimes I think we as Steeler fans have been spoiled by their sustained success.
After living through the years before Ben I don't see how any Steeler fan takes the last 15 years for granted.    

I am not one who gets mad when we don’t win the super bowl every season and I am not calling for Tomlin’s head like a lot of folks, but let’s not pretend that the Steelers haven’t benefited by playing the browns and bengals 2x a year and having a weak division. 
The Ravens have 3 losing seasons since 2003 so not sure the division has propped up the Steelers very much.  Enjoy your pessimistic, glass-half-full outlook I guess  :shrug:  

I agree that having the Browns in the same division has been a benefit (no longer probably)  but the Bengals and Ravens have been pretty good.   The AFC North has historically been pretty brutal division.

Sadly, I don't think the Steelers have a shot at Devin White unless they trade up ahead of the Bengals and I wanted the Steelers to trade down if they wanted Devin Bush, but now that Mosley is leaving the Ravens, I think they'd take him.

Ideal Mock:

• 20 - Devin White, ILB, LSU
  • 52 - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn St.
  • 66 - N'Keal Harry, WR, AZ St.
  • 83 - Chase Winovich, OLB, Michigan or Deandre Walker, OLB, Georgia
Realistic Mock:

• 20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
  • 52 - AJ Brown, WR, Ole Miss
  • 66 - Rock Ya Sin, CB, Temple (poor physicality)
  • 83 - Miles Sanders, RB, Penn St.

The Steelers could be slow movers in FA if they want compensatory picks next year. If they only lose Bell and Jesse James, and they sign 2 people, then there's no 3rd rounder coming next year. I think there's a cutoff date, after which they can sign players with no threat to receiving a comp pick. The only other person we might lose is Chickillo, maybe some other roster fodder, but idk. 

Wow, Suggs to Arizona.

That’s going to be weird. It would be like if Ray Lewis had signed with Miami to end his career.

Users who are viewing this thread