What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother said:
Yep.   We need an impact defensive player or two four from this draft.
CB, LB(inside AND out), DL depth isn't great either (inside OR out).

I wouldn't be upset if they threw a bunch of value-appropriate darts all over the defense in this draft.  They certainly have the picks for it.  Yeah, they need at least one WR, maybe two.  A TE wouldn't be horrible either, nor would a runner at some point pasts Day 2....but if they decided to keep all their picks and spend most of them on the defense I probably wouldn't be that upset.  Their defense is un-good.

I hope so.  Home-state guy.  Definitely a gate draw.
Plus, Dalton basically blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it could happen.  It really largely hinges on Cinci.
I think there's legit a 0% chance that the Steelers don't take Bush at 20 if he falls there. To me, if there's a mock that has us taking a CB when Bush is on the board, I just don't see that as realistic.  I get that there are some players that surprise and trades can shake things up, but most years there are also locks at certain points. I think there's a chance he falls all the way to 20, but if he's there I just can't see the Steelers going in a different direction. 

Here is an article that is laughable.  The guy is criticizing the Steelers for being cheap and also took one remark made by Colbert and came to the conclusion that they are also racists. 

Never mind that the Steelers are almost up against the cap, came up with the Rooney Rule and are one of the few teams led by a black head coach.      

Here is an article that is laughable.  The guy is criticizing the Steelers for being cheap and also took one remark made by Colbert and came to the conclusion that they are also racists. 

Never mind that the Steelers are almost up against the cap, came up with the Rooney Rule and are one of the few teams led by a black head 
Everything that comes from espn is laughable. You dont actually have to know anything about sports to work there. And they have plenty of racists of their own.

Never mind that the Steelers are almost up against the cap, came up with the Rooney Rule and are one of the few teams led by a black head coach.      
Click bait.  No better way to generate clicks than to pile on the Steelers right now.

The way they've treated Shazier since his injury is enough evidence that they're not cheap or racist. 

I regret reading this article. It was just dumb and regurgitated old ideas that are overplayed and not supported in any way. They left for money, perceived or actual. Except AB, he might have also left because of an ego trip. 

https://twitter.com/RamonFoster/status/1116337269865107456

PSA. Contact me or @MaurkicePouncey or anyone else that you feel comfortable with about anything else next time. I passed this through a few guys still in the locker room and they are ok with this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D34G05hXoAAfJj5.jpg:large
Not a Steelers fan or anything, but didn't these lineman pretty much throw Bell under the bus when he didn't show up for the start of the season?  Seems like a lot of bad culture to go around...

Godsbrother said:
Here is an article that is laughableThe guy is criticizing the Steelers for being cheap and also took one remark made by Colbert and came to the conclusion that they are also racists. 

Ive stated this before, nobody has spent their full allotment of cap space more completely than the Steelers over the past 25 year period (believe I read the report/article during the 2017 season).  They payout nearly ever dollar they are allowed to payout to the players and do it moreso than any other team in the NFL.  By the very definition they are the opposite of "cheap". *Though the Bell situation may have muddled that up last year.

Slapdash said:
Not a Steelers fan or anything, but didn't these lineman pretty much throw Bell under the bus when he didn't show up for the start of the season?  Seems like a lot of bad culture to go around...
Not the "start of the season"... but rather when he didn't show up on the date he had said he would show up on.

Slapdash said:
AB is actually the guy who said “show up” prior to camp. The oline guys commented because he led them all to believe he was coming back on a certain date and then didn’t show up and stopped returning texts/calls. 

AB is actually the guy who said “show up” prior to camp. The oline guys commented because he led them all to believe he was coming back on a certain date and then didn’t show up and stopped returning texts/calls. 
Right. And Bell came out and said he was planning to come back on that given date until he found out that he'd still be a free agent if he didn't show up all year long. But you text your teammates back and tell them that if you have been texting them all along.

CB, LB(inside AND out), DL depth isn't great either (inside OR out).

I wouldn't be upset if they threw a bunch of value-appropriate darts all over the defense in this draft.  They certainly have the picks for it.  Yeah, they need at least one WR, maybe two.  A TE wouldn't be horrible either, nor would a runner at some point pasts Day 2....but if they decided to keep all their picks and spend most of them on the defense I probably wouldn't be that upset.  Their defense is un-good.
this

Todd McShay mock

Round 1 (20): Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
Round 2 (52): Chase Winovich, OLB, Michigan
Round 3 (66): Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame
Round 3 (83): Justice Hill, RB, Oklahoma State

Murphy has the best ball skills of the corners in the class, and despite signing Steven Nelson, the Steelers need playmakers at that position. Winovich is a twitchy, versatile pass-rusher, and with Antonio Brown gone, Boykin provides another option in the passing game. Hill and his 4.40 speed would jive nicely with James Conner’s running style in a reborn Pittsburgh offense.

Todd McShay mock

Round 1 (20): Byron Murphy, CB, Washington
Round 2 (52): Chase Winovich, OLB, Michigan
Round 3 (66): Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame
Round 3 (83): Justice Hill, RB, Oklahoma State

Murphy has the best ball skills of the corners in the class, and despite signing Steven Nelson, the Steelers need playmakers at that position. Winovich is a twitchy, versatile pass-rusher, and with Antonio Brown gone, Boykin provides another option in the passing game. Hill and his 4.40 speed would jive nicely with James Conner’s running style in a reborn Pittsburgh offense.
I'd be ok with this as long as we grabbed 2 ILBs later in the draft. I haven't seen McShay's mock, but I'd rather have Harmon at 66 if he was available, and not sure we need a 3rd round RB. I think we'd be ok taking one in the 5th or 6th as depth. 

If we pass on ILB in the first 3 rounds I hope we get a high upside guy like David Long. 

I'd be ok with this as long as we grabbed 2 ILBs later in the draft. I haven't seen McShay's mock, but I'd rather have Harmon at 66 if he was available, and not sure we need a 3rd round RB. I think we'd be ok taking one in the 5th or 6th as depth. 

If we pass on ILB in the first 3 rounds I hope we get a high upside guy like David Long. 
he has Harmon at 93 which seems very late to me

Round 1 (3): Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

Round 3 (68): Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

Round 3 (93): Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

Williams is ferocious in the middle, and I see him as a top-two talent in the draft class. Between Williams and Allen, the Jets take a solid step forward on the defensive line. Williams has a great first step, and Allen transitions from speed to power very quickly. By taking Harmon late in the third, the Jets get Sam Darnold a hands catcher with size.

he has Harmon at 93 which seems very late to me
Some people don't like him that much, if we could grab another defender at 66 and then grab Harmon at 83 I'd be very happy with that. I think there's a reason that Boykin wasn't really talked about prior to the combine and it's because he wasn't a great football player, just a great athlete. The Steelers could use more great football players. 

I think that the Steelers move around in the early rounds of this draft and below are a couple trades I wouldn't mind seeing, depending on how the draft is shaking out. 

• If both Devins are gone by 20 but some combo of the 3 top CBs, Noah Fant, some top WRs, and some great DL are still there, I think that trading back should be an option the team investigates.

GB trades up from 30 to 20 to grab Noah Fant - GB gives Picks 30 and 44, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 175 - This would allow us to still grab a similar caliber player at 30 that we could have taken at 20 (imo) and grab a much better player at 44 than we would have gotten at 83.  Instead of something like Byron Murphy and JJ Arcega-Whiteside , we could grab maybe DeAndre Baker and AJ Brown. 
  • Oakland Trades up from 27 to 20 to grab Dwayne Haskins after a surprising fall - Raiders give Picks 27 and 35, Steelers give Picks 20 and 52 - Using the draft trade chart, this matches up perfectly. If Oakland doesn't take a QB with pick 4, and a QB surprisingly falls to 20, I could see them moving up. And falling from pick 20 to 27 keeps the Steelers in the same tier, while rising from 52 to 35 jumps a tier or two. I'd love this trade if the top ILBs are gone at 20. 

[*]If a Devin makes it past pick 14, I could see the Steelers trying to move up. I think that the Giants would take the remaining Devin if there was one available, so the only two options I see as realistic are the Skins or Panthers. 

• Redskins trade down - Skins give Pick 15, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 141 - The Skins have a lot of draft needs, and one is WR. No WR in this class is worth the 15th pick, but pick 20 is much better value and they pick up 2 later picks to help fill other holes on the team. 
  • Carolina trades down - Panthers give Pick 16, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, and 175 - This would depend purely on who the Panthers like, and if they think it's worth it to drop 4 picks. 

The Steelers would gain value by moving down in the 1st if both top ILBs are gone, but lots of teams try to trade down during the draft and can't find a trade partner. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it happen, but I'd be a bit disappointed if we stayed at 20 if there are multiple players within the same tier available there. If one of the Devins falls to pick 16 and the Steelers don't make a move, I'd be a little surprised. That said, right now, I don't think the Devins last past pick 12. 

I think that the Steelers move around in the early rounds of this draft and below are a couple trades I wouldn't mind seeing, depending on how the draft is shaking out. 

• If both Devins are gone by 20 but some combo of the 3 top CBs, Noah Fant, some top WRs, and some great DL are still there, I think that trading back should be an option the team investigates.

GB trades up from 30 to 20 to grab Noah Fant - GB gives Picks 30 and 44, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 175 - This would allow us to still grab a similar caliber player at 30 that we could have taken at 20 (imo) and grab a much better player at 44 than we would have gotten at 83.  Instead of something like Byron Murphy and JJ Arcega-Whiteside , we could grab maybe DeAndre Baker and AJ Brown. 
  • Oakland Trades up from 27 to 20 to grab Dwayne Haskins after a surprising fall - Raiders give Picks 27 and 35, Steelers give Picks 20 and 52 - Using the draft trade chart, this matches up perfectly. If Oakland doesn't take a QB with pick 4, and a QB surprisingly falls to 20, I could see them moving up. And falling from pick 20 to 27 keeps the Steelers in the same tier, while rising from 52 to 35 jumps a tier or two. I'd love this trade if the top ILBs are gone at 20. 

[*]If a Devin makes it past pick 14, I could see the Steelers trying to move up. I think that the Giants would take the remaining Devin if there was one available, so the only two options I see as realistic are the Skins or Panthers. 

• Redskins trade down - Skins give Pick 15, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 141 - The Skins have a lot of draft needs, and one is WR. No WR in this class is worth the 15th pick, but pick 20 is much better value and they pick up 2 later picks to help fill other holes on the team. 
  • Carolina trades down - Panthers give Pick 16, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, and 175 - This would depend purely on who the Panthers like, and if they think it's worth it to drop 4 picks. 

The Steelers would gain value by moving down in the 1st if both top ILBs are gone, but lots of teams try to trade down during the draft and can't find a trade partner. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it happen, but I'd be a bit disappointed if we stayed at 20 if there are multiple players within the same tier available there. If one of the Devins falls to pick 16 and the Steelers don't make a move, I'd be a little surprised. That said, right now, I don't think the Devins last past pick 12. 
I like it. Any way to get another late pick back as well when moving up to 15-16?

While I think the Steelers would love to grab one of the Devins I think they stand pat at 20 and let the draft come to them.   I know, not going out on a limb with this prediction but I think they are cool with grabbing one of CBs or Burns if they can't get ILB at 20.

While I think the Steelers would love to grab one of the Devins I think they stand pat at 20 and let the draft come to them.   I know, not going out on a limb with this prediction but I think they are cool with grabbing one of CBs or Burns if they can't get ILB at 20.
I think that if they have him rated similarly to where they had Shazier, they would move into top 15, but not 10. 

I really wish that the Steelers would trade back if there are 5+ players they like at 20, but we haven't traded back since Casey Hampton, I doubt we do it this year.

I think the following scenarios are most likely to happen:

• 50% - Stay at 20 and take BPA on their board (a 1st round CB, EDGE, DL, TE, or WR)
  • 20% - Trade up to picks 14-16 for an ILB
  • 10% - Trade up to picks 10-13 for an ILB
  • 10% - Trade back
  • 5% - Stay at 20 and take a player with a 3rd round grade... again
  • 5% - Something completely crazy, like trading up for an OT

Because AB is so talented/productive on the field it's difficult to image losing him as addition by subtraction - at first.  This has the potential to be a big FU season for the Steelers and Ben, and as others have said I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Steelers supposedly opening 2019 on the road against New England on Sunday Night Football.
Followed by a game in San Fran in week 3. Sounds like it might be a tough start to the season. I kind of hope our other west coast game is week 4, just to get it out of the way, and having 3 of our 8 road games in the first 4 weeks would set up for a nice back half of the season. 

Of course we were 5-3 at home and 4-3-1 on the road last year, so I'm not sure that's a big factor either.

Cherry picking. 7-2-1 from there only to blow that in the second half.
Not cherry picking at all.  We are talking about the start of the season, not mid-season.      Winning 1 out of the first 4 games is not getting off to a fast start by any definition.   Had they won one of those games they would have made the playoffs. 

Go back and look at the 2018 Steelers thread and see what the reactions were after 4 games.   Most everyone had written them off.

The Steelers' realistic range of outcomes for this season is 8-8 to 14-2, but I think most likely outcome is 10-6. 

The 6 losses are as follows:

• Lose to Pats Week 1 - Foxborough is so tough, and they'll be riding the SB high. I don't like our chances.
  • Split with the Browns and the Ravens - I think we take 2 losses from our division rivals, probably on the road.
  • Lose 1 West Coast Game - Either 49ers or Chargers, we don't travel well across the country so I think we lose at least 1 game on the far coast. 
  • Lose 1 game to a talented team at home - Colts, Rams, Seahawks, I think one of them takes us down.
  • Lose 1 game to a "bad" team - Cards, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, I think 1 of them beats us while the Steelers are huge favorites to win. 
The team is very talented this year, and I think that if we can find some early contributors from the draft, then they could be set up for success, but they haven't played to their full potential in recent years so I think it's going to be another up and down season of high expectations and disappointment. If the Steelers play to their full potential, which possibly happens after removing some distractions, they can beat anyone. But I still think at the very least they lose one to a team in the division and one to Pats/Chargers/Seahawks/Rams/Colts. I can't see 0-1 losses happening. 

Just saw a mock where the Steelers trade up to 14, and draft Byron Murphy (while Devin Bush is sitting there, he falls to 22 for the Ravens). If this happened, I think Steelers' Nation would absolutely lose its mind. 

arent the falcons 14?  all the talk is of them moving up not down

not sure theyve ever moved down in the first

they havent:

Since Thomas Dimitroff took over as general manager in 2008, the Falcons have never dropped back in the first round to acquire more picks. However, they have moved up in the first round or acquired a second first-rounder five times over the last 11 years. 

Users who are viewing this thread