What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** Washington, DC thread (1 Viewer)

'dgreen said:
Sunday, August 28, 2011 - Washington D.C.Waterford Receptions at Springfield6715 Commerce St.Springfield, VA 22150Scheduled* to appear:Top NFL Reporter Adam Schefter - Keynote SpeakerMatthew "Talented Mr. Roto" Berry from ESPNAJ Mass from ESPN.comDavid Dodds from FootballGuys.comChris Liss from Rotowire.com & Sirius RadioJeff Pasquino from FootballGuys.comScott Engel of RotoExperts.com and SiriusXM RadioEvan Silva from Rotoworld.com, ProFootballTalk.com and NBC SportsGregg Rosenthal from Rotoworld.com, ProfootballTalk.com and NBC Sports
Springfield mall area -- sketchy. Hope Pasquino and Dodds come well-armed.

'dgreen said:
Sunday, August 28, 2011 - Washington D.C.Waterford Receptions at Springfield6715 Commerce St.Springfield, VA 22150Scheduled* to appear:Top NFL Reporter Adam Schefter - Keynote SpeakerMatthew "Talented Mr. Roto" Berry from ESPNAJ Mass from ESPN.comDavid Dodds from FootballGuys.comChris Liss from Rotowire.com & Sirius RadioJeff Pasquino from FootballGuys.comScott Engel of RotoExperts.com and SiriusXM RadioEvan Silva from Rotoworld.com, ProFootballTalk.com and NBC SportsGregg Rosenthal from Rotoworld.com, ProfootballTalk.com and NBC Sports
:lmao:Scenic downtown Springfield, where our mall has Target as an anchor!

'dgreen said:
:lmao:Scenic downtown Springfield, where our mall has Target as an anchor!
In fairness to the Springfield Mall, I have once or twice gotten a good deal at the JC Penney's there. And, as a double bonus, I was not mugged.

'PinkydaPimp said:
Anyone been to The Cajun Experience, or Restaurant Nora?

Im staying in Dupont Circle and thinking about trying one of these tonight.
The one in Leesburg? Or is there another one?The one in Leesburg is outstanding.

I love the DC restaurant scene. But, it's a little sad knowing that there's so much about it that I'll probably never experience. Like this.

CNNMoney says Leesburg is the 4th best small town in America.

Also making Money's list are Herndon, Va. (34), Montclair, Va. (35), Oakton, Va. (36), Montgomery Village, Md.(40), Manassas Park, Va. (56) and Crofton, Md.(82).
It's hard for me to consider any of those places as "small towns".

Also making Money's list are Herndon, Va. (34), Montclair, Va. (35), Oakton, Va. (36), Montgomery Village, Md.(40), Manassas Park, Va. (56) and Crofton, Md.(82).
Herndon 34th? They must have stayed away from Alabama Drive then.

Just saw this post, but Montgomery Village is hardly a "small town"..

Just saw this post, but Montgomery Village is hardly a "small town" either.

'dgreen said:
Whitey no longer the majority in the DC area.
It thought DC was the chocolate city? :popcorn:
The city itself is, although it's actually becoming more white. Those numbers are for the metro area. I would guess the shift has mainly been in the hispanic and asian populations.
The Asian/Hispanic numbers shocked me, they seem light. When I go to Pentagon City it looks like Shanghai. And Silver Spring/Wheaton is basically El Salvador North.

'dgreen said:
The city itself is, although it's actually becoming more white. Those numbers are for the metro area. I would guess the shift has mainly been in the hispanic and asian populations.
And the surrounding counties are getting more black. Same thing's happening in Baltimore - as the urban gentrification increases, it pushes the lower income folks out into the counties.

'dgreen said:
The Asian/Hispanic numbers shocked me, they seem light. When I go to Pentagon City it looks like Shanghai. And Silver Spring/Wheaton is basically El Salvador North.
I think they're heavy in some areas and non-existent in other areas. For example, very few Asians in DC or PG County.

As it feels like fall today, which means prime time to visit Virginia wineries is coming, anyone else a fan and any favorite wineries? I've probably been to a dozen or so (mostly in the Leesburg/Purcellville area, or out I-66 past Manassas). I follow a bunch of the Virginia wine bloggers on Twitter, but always looking for recommendations for wineries to check out.

As it feels like fall today, which means prime time to visit Virginia wineries is coming, anyone else a fan and any favorite wineries? I've probably been to a dozen or so (mostly in the Leesburg/Purcellville area, or out I-66 past Manassas). I follow a bunch of the Virginia wine bloggers on Twitter, but always looking for recommendations for wineries to check out.
I wonder if going to the wineries would be a good idea this weekend. We've never been and love that stuff. Any recommendations you care to share?

I wonder if going to the wineries would be a good idea this weekend. We've never been and love that stuff. Any recommendations you care to share?
I've got a lot, but it sort of depends what kind of wines you like, and the balance between ambience and wine. In terms of my favorites that are close to DC that I've been to:1) Bluemont -- tasting room and outdoor drinking area at the top of a hill overlooking the valley; pretty good wine too.2) Fabbioli Cellars (in Leesburg) -- good red wines and their raspberry merlot is a great dessert wine too, but they don't make whites (although they are offer a few for tasting made by other wineries), if that's more your thing; also probably lowest ambience of those I've listed in terms of outdoor drinking area. I was a member of the wine club here for a period of time.3) Winery at La Grange -- tasting room is in large 19th century house; nice outdoor area for drinking a glass or a bottle after tasting. Run by Chris Pearmund, who also owns Pearmund wines which is nearby.4) Aspen Dale -- gave bites of food to eat with tasting.5) Paradise Springs -- good whites (their Chardonnay won best in the state recently), and closest to DC of those I've listed.6) Doukenie -- nice tasting area overlooking a pond and good wines too; and their owner gave us free homemade baklava.I've been to others too, but not as high on (Sunset Hills, Tarara, Corcoran, and Barrel Oak to name some). I've read good things about Linden, Chrysalis, and Gray Ghost which might be next ones that I want to check out. I also like Barboursville (and particularly their Octagon wine), but that one is much further out and closer to Charlottesville.I'd also recommend checking out the winery web sites. A lot of times they have events going on which can be fun, or have a musician playing which can be nice while sipping on a wine outside.

1) Bluemont -- tasting room and outdoor drinking area at the top of a hill overlooking the valley; pretty good wine too.
I don't drink (can't stand the taste), but I've been here because we've been CSA members of Great Country Farms for years. Fantastic view.I wish I liked wine because it just seems like a cool, fun, relaxing thing to do. And, I also enjoy driving and most of the wine/hunt/fox country area is great for driving around.

Video from the Washington Monument during the earthquake.

And did I hear that it could be closed for 2 years?
Park service says it's gonna be awhile. They have to put repellers up there to check for exterior damage and they said it will be weeks or months until that can happen. Shame, I was actually going to go up in it next week for the first time. :thumbdown:

Video from the Washington Monument during the earthquake.

And did I hear that it could be closed for 2 years?
The article that I read said that they won't even be able to estimate until they finish the exterior brick-by-brick review. Two years would not surprise me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone add value to their SmarTrip card online? I just did for the first time. After completing the transaction, it says this:

Once you make your purchase online, the pass or stored value will not automatically be loaded to your card. You must touch your card to a rail fare gate, bus farebox, or Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) to load them. Please allow time for the instructions to be sent to the gates and fareboxes. It usually takes 1 business day for rail gates and Ticket Vending Machines to be updated and up to 2 business days for bus fareboxes. You need to touch your card to the gates, TVM or fareboxes within 30 days or your purchase will expire.
:confused: Does that mean when I go to Metro in 30 minutes to go to my meeting that the value won't be there yet? Or is that just some CYA just in case something doesn't work and the value isn't added immediately? What kind of world do we live in where we can't instantly add value to a Metro card online?

Thought I'd ask fellow DC FBGs if they have any recommended places for a romantic-type weekend getaway for a wedding anniversary. We are trying to limit to places within a 2-3 hour drive from DC. Planning for end of January. Any ideas?

We like history; my wife would probably prefer something with a spa too. Last year, we went to the Williamsburg Inn, for example.

Looking at Maryland eastern shore (maybe Chestertown, but I've never been), Virginia northern neck (looked at the Tides Inn, but it appears booked that weekend), or out toward Charlottesville/Orange. Open to other suggestions/recommendations, or if you know any hotels/B&Bs in those areas that might fit the bill (prefer a place with a good restaurant on site too).

We are not much for skiing, so options out in the mountains are probably not the best.

Thanks for any tips.

Thought I'd ask fellow DC FBGs if they have any recommended places for a romantic-type weekend getaway for a wedding anniversary. We are trying to limit to places within a 2-3 hour drive from DC. Planning for end of January. Any ideas?We like history; my wife would probably prefer something with a spa too. Last year, we went to the Williamsburg Inn, for example.Looking at Maryland eastern shore (maybe Chestertown, but I've never been), Virginia northern neck (looked at the Tides Inn, but it appears booked that weekend), or out toward Charlottesville/Orange. Open to other suggestions/recommendations, or if you know any hotels/B&Bs in those areas that might fit the bill (prefer a place with a good restaurant on site too).We are not much for skiing, so options out in the mountains are probably not the best.Thanks for any tips.
You might try the Boars Head Inn in Charlottesville. It's got a good (not great, but good) restaurant on site. It has a spa. It has golf. It's near enough to make a day trip to Monticello, Montpelier, or the local vinyards (or even an evening trip up to Staunton to catch a cool Shakespeare show at the American Shakespeare Company). There's also history at the University (the Inn is actually run by the University). It's not cheap, per se, but it's probably a value compared to comparable places.

Thought I'd ask fellow DC FBGs if they have any recommended places for a romantic-type weekend getaway for a wedding anniversary. We are trying to limit to places within a 2-3 hour drive from DC. Planning for end of January. Any ideas?We like history; my wife would probably prefer something with a spa too. Last year, we went to the Williamsburg Inn, for example.Looking at Maryland eastern shore (maybe Chestertown, but I've never been), Virginia northern neck (looked at the Tides Inn, but it appears booked that weekend), or out toward Charlottesville/Orange. Open to other suggestions/recommendations, or if you know any hotels/B&Bs in those areas that might fit the bill (prefer a place with a good restaurant on site too).We are not much for skiing, so options out in the mountains are probably not the best.Thanks for any tips.
You might try the Boars Head Inn in Charlottesville. It's got a good (not great, but good) restaurant on site. It has a spa. It has golf. It's near enough to make a day trip to Monticello, Montpelier, or the local vinyards (or even an evening trip up to Staunton to catch a cool Shakespeare show at the American Shakespeare Company). There's also history at the University (the Inn is actually run by the University). It's not cheap, per se, but it's probably a value compared to comparable places.
Thanks. Boars Head Inn is the sort of place that I am looking for, although that is where my wife's work retreats are held, so I think that's out as it would probably remind her too much of work.

Thanks. Boars Head Inn is the sort of place that I am looking for, although that is where my wife's work retreats are held, so I think that's out as it would probably remind her too much of work.
I can vouch for the restaurant at The Clifton Inn as well. It's better than the Boars Head on that front. The "conversations" with Monroe and Jefferson sound mad Cheesy. I'd be tempted to just to ask TJ about the Brown Sugar.

The Homestead is supposed to be really nice. It better be for the prices. There are some other, cheaper B&Bs in Bath County. I've been eyeing this place, but haven't done it yet. You can soak in the nearby Jefferson Pools. Probably more than 3 hours from DC, though. Berkley Springs, WV, might be a little closer.

Another option could be a wine weekend. I had a great dinner many years ago at the Ashby Inn in Paris, VA. I'm sure their rooms are nice, too. Then spend your days hitting the various wineries. I'd guess something in the Middleburg area has a spa.

St. Michaels, MD, is supposed to be the top spot on the Eastern Shore.

The Inn at Perry Cabin on the Eastern Shore in St. Michaels, MD. This place is where you want to go - very $$, but they probably have good off-season specials. Great restaurant on site, you can walk to the quaint downtown, nice spa. It's where they filmed the big wedding scene in "Wedding Crashers"

Trust me, if you take your wife here, she will find it very "romantic"

The Inn at Perry Cabin on the Eastern Shore in St. Michaels, MD. This place is where you want to go - very $$, but they probably have good off-season specials. Great restaurant on site, you can walk to the quaint downtown, nice spa. It's where they filmed the big wedding scene in "Wedding Crashers"Trust me, if you take your wife here, she will find it very "romantic"
This probably would have been my first suggestion too. If the budget allows there's always The Inn at Little Washington, of course.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. :thumbup:

I'll have to look into the Inn at Perry Cabin. I've never been to the eastern shore, so that's the area I'm least familiar with.

Middleburg area sounds like it might be a good option too. We like wineries, but not familiar with much in that area outside The Inn at Little Washington, which might be best saved for more of a milestone anniversary.

eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?
Nothing comes to mind in that area. Plenty of places will have crab cakes (and some will have softshell blue crabs), but not blue crabs for pickin'.
The Dancing Crab on Wisconsin has blue crabs for picking.
Jesus, I've probably eaten there thirty or forty times. It's like stepping into my youth. My dad lived just down the hill in Friendship Heights, my good friend lived behind it on Brandywine, and my mom was good friends with a bunch of the channel 9 crew. That place is in my DC Hall of Fame. There was a phenomenal Chinese place across Wisconsin and north a block or two. I forget the name, but my dad and I ate there a bunch, as well.And F Ben's Chili Bowl. Utterly mediocre and not at all worth going out of your way for. Of course, if you like a couple blocks away like I did for a little while, late night mediocrity runs aren't inconceivable.

eta: crabs will work for the fun one. my kid loves eating things in shells she gets to break into pieces. so in addition to the ONE place you would go, where's some fun crab eating near Tyson's Corner?
Nothing comes to mind in that area. Plenty of places will have crab cakes (and some will have softshell blue crabs), but not blue crabs for pickin'.
The Dancing Crab on Wisconsin has blue crabs for picking.
Jesus, I've probably eaten there thirty or forty times. It's like stepping into my youth. My dad lived just down the hill in Friendship Heights, my good friend lived behind it on Brandywine, and my mom was good friends with a bunch of the channel 9 crew. That place is in my DC Hall of Fame. There was a phenomenal Chinese place across Wisconsin and north a block or two. I forget the name, but my dad and I ate there a bunch, as well.

And F Ben's Chili Bowl. Utterly mediocre and not at all worth going out of your way for. Of course, if you like a couple blocks away like I did for a little while, late night mediocrity runs aren't inconceivable.
I kind of like the chili half-smokes if you get them in house. It's certainly better than the usual chili you get on a chili dog. But the ballpark version of Ben's isn't nearly as good, and the rest of their food is meh.

Next time you find yourself a couple blocks away, do yourself a favor and hit up the sandwich joint inside the Lowest Price gas station at 14th and W. Best sandwich place in the city in my opinion, and open super-late too. Or check out Oohs and Ahhs at 10th and U, although they're not open late I don't think. I actually have never been able to figure out exactly when they open and close.

A Ben's half-smoke is a legitimately great cheap meal. I don't evangelize, because then people expect something different than a half-smoke. But I will go to my grave arguing that the half-smokes are a HOF drunk food.

St. Michaels is pretty cool. We used to sail over there pretty regularly. Whatever the case, I recommend spending some time on the bay. If you don't want to buy a boat, there are clubs you can join for a decent price that give you access to sail or power boats. The people in the slip next to us had a sail boat but were also members of the Alternative Boat Club on the Susquehana (I think) that had a bunch of different sized Silvertons. We went out with them a couple times. We had a 25 foot Catalina docked at Shady Side on the South River. Sailing on the Chesapeake ruled.

St. Michaels is pretty cool. We used to sail over there pretty regularly. Whatever the case, I recommend spending some time on the bay. If you don't want to buy a boat, there are clubs you can join for a decent price that give you access to sail or power boats. The people in the slip next to us had a sail boat but were also members of the Alternative Boat Club on the Susquehana (I think) that had a bunch of different sized Silvertons. We went out with them a couple times. We had a 25 foot Catalina docked at Shady Side on the South River. Sailing on the Chesapeake ruled.
Good call. My dad's family is from Galesville, just across from Shady Side. Sailing on the Bay is great

My dad's family is from Galesville, just across from Shady Side. Sailing on the Bay is great
:shock: I'm from Deale.DQ, have you ever done the Bavarian Inn? My link.

It's in Shepherdstown, WV right near Antietam, Harper's Ferry, and Charles Town. They have a big hotel-type building but also cottages that overlook the Potomac. It's a little kitschy, but the food is good (German, duh).

Anyone been to Lincoln? I'm doing their Prohibition themed New Year's Eve with the wife, but have never been. I enjoy small plates. Love cocktails, so that seems promising. But some of the decor appears to be trying really, really hard. And I really don't get the trend of "sexy" bathroom art.

Glad I'm not working today so I don't have to fight the traffic during this monster blizzard. There's about 1/2" at my house, so I'm sure things are getting pretty crazy on the roads.

Of course, we're supposed to go to a friend's house for dinner tonight in Haymarket. Since I don't want to go anyway, I may get to use traffic as an excuse.

Glad I'm not working today so I don't have to fight the traffic during this monster blizzard. There's about 1/2" at my house, so I'm sure things are getting pretty crazy on the roads.
Is it sticking in places outside the city? Looking out my office, nothing seems to be sticking to the ground.

Is it sticking in places outside the city? Looking out my office, nothing seems to be sticking to the ground.
It's sticking a little to less traveled streets. But, you know it doesn't actually have to stick to cause a mess. Just looked at google maps traffic and it looks worse than usual, but not like a complete disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread